Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For everyone up in arms about Notre Dame and the "partial
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

For everyone up in arms about Notre Dame and the "partial

Sep 12, 2012, 9:54 PM

membership", lets review where we are and how we got here. All this conference expansion stuff started when the idea of having 16 team mega-conferences was the darling idea. That is where and why it all started. That is where we are going. Notre Dame, not dumb, knows that when we get there, and we will get there, they would be locked out of the NC picture because the mega-conferences will control the NC at that point. So, today's ACC-Notre Dame link was Notre Dame's way of reserving their "seat at the table." Clemson, FSU, Miami, Va Tech and Ga Tech, also were looking around this summer making sure to protect their "seat at the table." All 5 of those schools agreed to this new 50 million dollar buy out clause. They did so because they know we will eventually be at mega-conference size with Notre Dame as a full member.

If, I were a betting man, and I typically am, I would bet that the ACC powers that be already are in talks with member 16. This could put the ACC in as the first mega-conference and assure the ACC of being one of the four or five conferences involved in a football national championship play-off. Likely the other conferences, who will get to 16 and be a part are: the SEC, Big 12, Pac 10(12) and the Big 10(11,12). This will likely set up a five automatic births and three at large teams in an eight team play-off. Notre Dame, knew their chances were better inside, rather than outside this new and coming reality.

So, relax. If the last 2 years in college football have told us anything, it is that nothing stays the same, the status quo cannot and will not last, and what may be true today will likely not be true tomorrow. Today's move is great news for the ACC and it will likely spur further action by the big five conferences.

The way I see it, the ACC now has one slot open, the SEC, two, the Big 12, six, the Pac 12, four, and the Big 10, four. That means there are 17 "seats at the table" still open. The Big East is done. Their schools that are serious about football need to find a new home quickly.

What happened today is the beginning of the end of non maga-conferences. We will see the pieces line up within the next nine months for the day of the mega-conference and a true football play-off to begin.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice summary. Any guess as to who the potential no. 16 is?***

Sep 12, 2012, 9:59 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really wish I was one of those guys with "insde info".

Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 PM

I am not and at this point would not even want to put forth a guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you need 15 before #16

Sep 12, 2012, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Nice summary. Any guess as to who the potential no. 16 is?*** ]

this is not a football deal for ND. they arent joing now. and most likely never

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yu really need to re-read my post.***

Sep 12, 2012, 10:03 PM

If you mean me I wasn't responding to your post

Sep 12, 2012, 10:07 PM

You have to have 15 football teams before you add the 16th team. we dont have a 15th as ND is a halfway member (5/8 or 5/9 technically)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The entire point of my post is Notre Dame IS coming as a

Sep 12, 2012, 10:11 PM

full member, meaning 15 will be here and 16 will follow. If that is not the point then none of my post would make sense.

I don't think they will

Sep 12, 2012, 10:12 PM

they have their cake now and their ability to play a national schedule. I don't see them giving that up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My rationale for them giving it up is that they need to be

Sep 12, 2012, 10:16 PM

in a mega-conference to get a shot at the NC. I know that is not where we are now, it is where I believe we are headed. Otherwise, why leave the Big East? For all their other sports, the Big East was a better home than the ACC. The ACC makes sense to protect one sport and one sport only, football.

ACC also greatly helped ND with their scheduling.

Sep 12, 2012, 10:39 PM

They want to continue to play SC, Stanford, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Navy. Those are typically there every year, and often play the 3 Big 10 school sin consecutive weeks. That leaves them with 6 other games they have to schedule. Used to be easy as they could just pick and choose whenever, but as a lot of conferences are increasing and size and going to 9 conference games (ACC and Pac-12 already there), the chances of being able to find spots to fill those final games. It isn't as hard in the beginning of the season, but finding spots in Oct and Nov is already incredibly hard with demands from other team's conferences. If Big 10 expands more, likely you will see them lose a few of those games.

This had as much to do with them joining as anything

Notre Dame will join when either A) they are forced to in order to be able to be eligible for the playoffs, or B) the ability to schedule a full slate of games becomes too difficult for them because of lack of available teams.

And from there try to maintain Navy, SC, Michigan and probably Stanford if possible

I'd guess NAVY just to please ND.*

Sep 12, 2012, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Nice summary. Any guess as to who the potential no. 16 is?*** ]

After all, weren't Pitt and Cuse picked for that reason ? That's the rumor that was floated last year.

please no....does nothing for the conf as a whole***

Sep 12, 2012, 10:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yet does so much more than syr, pitt, bc***

Sep 12, 2012, 10:43 PM

would guess it probably would be a current Big East member

Sep 12, 2012, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Nice summary. Any guess as to who the potential no. 16 is?*** ]

Rutgers or UConn...going to be very tough to get a member of another conf to leave to come to the ACC. No one is going to leave the SEC or Big12 to come here. The ONLY possible school that could possibly leave to come to the ACC is Penn St. They really more of an east coast school vs. mid west. They have rivalries with Syracuse and Pitt that go further back than any rival in the Big10.

Your last line is interesting.

Sep 12, 2012, 10:05 PM

Why nine months? I had a conversation with someone today who is "connected" at an ACC school (not Clemson) who told me EVERYTHING would be clear in nine months.

Nine months gets us close to those summer conference

Sep 12, 2012, 10:08 PM

meetings. I think we will know a lot more by next summer's round of conference look how great we are meetings.

Re: For everyone up in arms about Notre Dame and the "partial

Sep 12, 2012, 10:06 PM

I say we are done at 15. She my Crystal Ball post. Why add another mouth to feed if not necessary.

couple of reasons

Sep 12, 2012, 10:07 PM

1. makes scheduling other sports easier with an even number.
2. makes the 5 game rotating schedule with ND easier....5 each yr on a 3 yr rotating basis.

Re: couple of reasons

Sep 12, 2012, 10:15 PM

do you think vt. and nc state would leave the acc if the sec invited them as rumored? if 16 is the desired number and 2 leave the acc then where would we turn? the acc appears to be the logical place for the sec to get two new members from, from a footprint and new market standpoint.

$50 mil buyout stops that.

Sep 12, 2012, 10:17 PM

NO ONE in the ACC is going any where.

I can't agree with you there. The mega conference idea

Sep 12, 2012, 10:10 PM

seemed good at one point but it only would've worked if 2 of the 6 BCS conferences died. Pretty much looks like the Big East is the only one falling apart. Now with 5 strong conferences where would you get the other teams from? You'd need 17 of them. Who are they?

Honestly the only leftover schools I could see any type of relevance to the Big conferences is BYU, Boise, Louisville, Rutgers, UConn. That's it. No mega conferences, not anytime soon. I think the ACC and other conferences stay how they are for a while.

If you read my post I mention an 8 team play-off.

Sep 12, 2012, 10:13 PM

Five conference championships and the next three highest ranked teams.

So you're saying that the ACC will go to 16 and no one else?

Sep 12, 2012, 10:20 PM

I'm not following. I also don't think Notre Dame needs to be in a conference to get into a playoff. I think they feel this alliance helps their cause just as much.

No read my original post, I clearly stated there wil likely

Sep 12, 2012, 10:38 PM

be 5 sixteen team conferences, the SEC, ACC, Big 12(16) Pac 12(16) and Big 10(16). As I stated there are 17 slots available. Of the teams I see as candidates for these slots: BYU, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, U Conn, Hawaii, Temple, Army, Navy, Air Force, Boise State, maybe a MAC team and a team or two from CUSA. Not set in stone but what I see coming.

Yeah that's what I meant originally. Hardly any of those

Sep 12, 2012, 10:44 PM

teams bring value. It would water down their leagues and make their revenue pots smaller. They'll be in the playoffs with or without teams like Hawaii, Temple, Army etc so no reason to add them. I think when the mega conference idea was tossed about people were thinking either the Big 12 or ACC would die with the Big East and their teams would be absorbed. Never happened and I think the mega conference idea was DOA.

The B12 will die too if TX bolts... Give it a few yrs for

Sep 12, 2012, 10:23 PM [ in reply to I can't agree with you there. The mega conference idea ]

them and ESPN to see the Longhorn Network isn't going to fly and TX will go to new home for bigger bucks and, yes, a better academic conference.

The only thing I''m up in arms about is another mediocre

Sep 12, 2012, 10:16 PM

team living off past glories and what their jersey looks like has somewhat joined the ACC and I'm supposed to be psyched about this. This isn't 1988. It is 2012.

Five games....really...you're either all in or out...come on***

Sep 12, 2012, 10:25 PM

Notre Dame joined this conference for an easiar schedule

Sep 12, 2012, 11:23 PM

They are able to park their non revenue sports in our back yard and keep all their toys at home. You say ND would be locked out? Are you insane? For starters ND will not be locked out because as always there will be a special provision that allows them to compete for a playoff spot as long as they are ranked high enough...too much viewership to think otherwise. In the zero percent probability that they would require ND to be part of a conference they could simply snap their fingers and be in any conference they desired. Locked out...sweet jesus I nearly chocked on that one. ND gets to maintain its money deals without sharing with this deal....gets to trade in those tough games with Michigan and Michigan St for Miami and Duke or others and has a far more likelyhood of getting to the playoffs that way. They also will bump an ACC team from time to time from their earned bowl bid even if they have a worse record. Thats why ND joined the ACC. Swofford got anally raped by ND and we seem to be the only ones in the whole of college football world that dont see it for what it is.

Re: Notre Dame joined this conference for an easiar schedule

Sep 13, 2012, 12:10 AM

As soon as you misspelled "easier" you lost all credibility. Our non-BCS bowl lineup is a joke. If they bump us from the Russell Athletic Bowl we were garbage anyway. They're going to have a really tough schedule so if they are able to bump us, they prob deserve it.

http://ryankantor.com/2012/09/12/a-winner-for-the-acc-and-notre-dame-irish-joining-acc-as-non-football-member/

A realistic future ND schedule

BC
Pitt
VT
Clemson
UNC
-
USC
Navy
MSU
Michigan
Purdue
Texas
Temple

If they win more than 7 games with a tough schedule like that I'll be impressed. If they win 8 and we win 9 with Maryland, Syracuse, GT, and FSU on there instead of Texas, USC, MSU, and Michigan I won't feel cheated if the Chick-Fil-A chooses them over us.

This will only matter on odd numbered years anyway. I think Dabo has this program to the point where we'll be ACC Champs or a very clear ACC #2 on those odd numbered seasons.

Re: Notre Dame joined this conference for an easier schedule

Sep 13, 2012, 12:17 AM

Correction, 2015 ND schedule will look like this:

Clemson
Pitt
VT
Wake
Syracuse
-
USC
Navy
Northwestern
Michigan
Purdue
Stanford
UMass
Texas

Not sure which non-ACC team they plan to drop but they said it's not Texas and it won't be Michigan. Umass or Northwestern most likely.

There is no provision that you speak of.

Sep 13, 2012, 12:22 AM [ in reply to Notre Dame joined this conference for an easiar schedule ]

I think you are talking about their inclusion in the BCS, but once the playoffs start the BCS dies. The qualifications for the playoffs haven't even been drawn up yet so there still was a possibility of the Irish being shut out. Also as an independent they could schedule anyone they want so if they wanted an easier schedule they could've replaced Michigan or Michigan St with Idaho if they wanted. Once again, speak only on what you know!

The ACC said they were not going to add another team, maybe

Sep 13, 2012, 12:38 AM

because ND is not part of the ACC in football but that is what they said today

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic