Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Dabo taking over for Saban" talk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

The "Dabo taking over for Saban" talk

Dec 3, 2014, 9:54 AM

Every time I see the talk about Dabo taking over for Saban when he retires I cringe.

So many people think that because Dabo attended Alabama its his inheritance when the time comes.

I beg to differ for these reasons

1) Dabo Swinney has forged his own path. He does things his way and I would think that being "expected" to later become HC at Bama would go against his grain in a big way

2) Dabo Swinney is fiercely loyal. Not only to his players and coaching staff, but to Clemson University and the fanbase as well. Clemson gave him his big chance and he's taken advantage of it.

3) Dabo Swinney his EXTREMELY PASSIONATE ABOUT CLEMSON. From his postgame interviews (ACCCG in Charlotte, LSU game, Auburn streak ending game, etc...) to his ability to convince high-level recruits to come play and attend Clemson University, I cannot remember a single coach at CU that displays the passion for Clemson that Dabo does.

4) Dabo is a program builder. He does well in the underdog role, a mode he would never be in at Bama without some serious failure first. There's really no way to go at Bama but down. You might be able to keep things level in regards to success, but how could you improve the program at Bama? That just doesn't sound like Dabo to me.

5) Dabo's family IS Clemson. That family is the epitome of All-In at Clemson. Raised within the program and deeply rooted in the community, they are not a Alabama family, they are a Clemson family.

6) Alabama and other SEC schools academic standards and their willingness to oversign and later cut recruits are not standards Dabo Swinney could abide by. He's proven time and again that he accepts only recruits with high character and academic excellence.

When folks around the country hear "Dabo", they think Clemson, not Bama. That's because Dabo has become this Clemson generation's Frank Howard or Danny Ford after all the years of mediocrity in the 90s and 2000s. His passion makes for great TV at a national level and Clemson has become very popular with those with no ties to the university all over this country. TV ratings are evidence of that.

What Dabo Swinney represents at Clemson University is something we're all proud of. The standards of excellence regarding character, academics and football combined are light years ahead of Bama. He's built the foundation for many years of success to come the right way.

There is no "win at all costs" with Dabo. And that doesn't fit the SEC/Bama model.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "Dabo taking over for Saban" talk

Dec 3, 2014, 10:08 AM

Excellent post, you put into words what I've been thinking for years. The win over the coots will keep his haters a bay for a while. There isn't a coach anywhere that is a better fit for us or that I had rather have.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2014, 10:18 AM

It is amazing that so many of these criticizing the OC decision were nowhere to be found after Saturday's game. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2014, 11:53 AM

This is my favorite post I've read about Dabo and his loyalty to Clemson! Awesome, thanks for putting my feelings into words!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For Alabama he would leave tonight

Dec 4, 2014, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: The "Dabo taking over for Saban" talk ]

Sorry, but his loyalty would vaporize , if he got the Alabama job. But, Dabo isn't what Those in control of hiring and firing want. Alabama will go after an NFL coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2014, 10:25 AM

Really, really want Dabo to stay--not only is he a great coach, he's also a great face for Clemson University! Talk about a guy doing his job the right way!
That said, we all know when you get a call from home, it's hard to say no.
Pray he always makes the right choice and that we'll all be Blessed.
Go Tigers!!

Dec 3, 2014, 10:29 AM

the point of my post is, I think Dabo is "home" right now.

Dec 4, 2014, 7:34 AM

While it's true Dabo grew up and went to school in Bama, his principles are more Gene Stallings-based than they are Tide-based. Dabo will continue to chart his own course by his own guiding principles and, frankly, I suspect Clemson would let him down before he lets Clemson down. At this point, I don't envision either happening...it's simply a great match!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2014, 7:49 AM

I think we agreed on that ;)

Dec 4, 2014, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: The "Dabo taking over for Saban" talk ]

A couple of things here... First, why does it seem folks are talking about Dabo and Saban in the same context? This more rhetorical, of course, but it is worth thinking about. Next, how many among us really have a bead on what is going through Dabo's mind on this subject? I really respect Dabo. Though imperfect, his ideals are clearly sincere and, for my part, entirely respectable. He is not simply idealistic, but capable of translating his ideals into positive action. Because Dabo is who he is, a part of which is successful, I want to see him stick around. He has the potential to become greater than Ford or Howard. He can become as much the face of Tiger football as Bryant, Bowden, Paterno and others were/are for their respective programs. But he isn't ours, he is his. We are foolish to cast our assumptions on him and then ask him to live up to them. To do so is unfair to him and borderline psychopathic for any of us who engage in such fantasy.

Dec 3, 2014, 10:28 AM

everyone is loyal until mama calls wih a $10M check.

Dec 3, 2014, 10:38 AM

Saban's contract pays him just over 7 mil with the bonuses. Doubt they'd pay anyone else more than that to start.

I also believe that to get big money at Bama Dabo would have to win a NC at Clemson. If he does that, CLemson will pay big time as well.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: The "Dabo taking over for Saban" talk ]

then why did he give up HIS bonus to his assistants?? Its not all about dirty sec money

Alabama is in another universe with respect to

Dec 3, 2014, 10:31 AM

football. Those people are true fanatics. Dabo would have to be a fool to leave what he has and get tangled up in that mental institution.

Let me put it another way. There is no way

Dec 3, 2014, 10:33 AM

he would survive losing to Auburn 5 in a row. He would be tarred & feathered and dropped off into the next state in the dark of night.

Re: Let me put it another way. There is no way

Dec 3, 2014, 11:09 AM

the win at all costs attitude. Its just no Dabo.

Patience will reward us Clemson fans. the 5 in a row was tough to take but things are only getting better

Very similar to the Sylvester Croom situation years back.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:15 AM

Croom was an Alabama grad and a disciple of the Bear. He was a man of integrity who would cut anyone with questionable character regardless of their level of talent. Eventually the fans and boosters at Miss St. had enough of mediocrity and wanted to win at any costs and Croom paid the price with his job. Who knows what would've happened if he had another 3 or 4 years.

I see Dabo cut from the same cloth. A spiritual man of integrity who isn't going to compromise his beliefs b/c he needs to win on Saturday (ie. Chad Kelly). I don't think Dabo could stand up to the ridiculous expectations at Alabama. If given 5 or 6 years to build the program he wants, he would probably find success, but I doubt the board of trustees, boosters, and insane fans would tolerate mediocrity for more than 2 or 3 years.

Seems like Dabo is truly "All In" when he says it. I don't see him going to Alabama when Saban retires.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“I love this place. I’ve got a spot already picked out where I want ‘em to put me when I die…up there on there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays. Then I wont have to go to heaven. I’ll already be there.”-Frank Howard

Re: Very similar to the Sylvester Croom situation years back.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:40 AM

I'd forgotten about Croom but you're exactly right, excellent post.

Dabo would walk nekkid to Tuscaloosa ***

Dec 3, 2014, 11:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

Re: Dabo would walk nekkid to Tuscaloosa ***

Dec 3, 2014, 11:47 AM

People talking about Dabo to Bama need to get the world back in perscpective. Dabo is not even mentioned at other mid level institutions much less Bama. Dabo is great for Clemson and has brought wins back and top 25s and top 10s.

However, he is not in the same universe of big time coaches. Clemson would have to win a national Champ and consistently beat top competition. Look at Dabo wins and losses vs ranked teams. That has to improve to be talked about in big time circles.

Should he take Clemson to a national champ combined with the recruiting he is capable of....Clemson will be Bama with multiple rings etc and there will be no reason to leave.

Unless that happens he will not be in the discussion. Guys get a grip. Gus Malzhan was the top OC guru and won a national champ at Auburn and the best HC job he could find was Arky St. That is more for the crowd over the last few years thinking NC St, Louisville, Etc were not big enough for Chad Morris. Nonsense. he is lucky to be at SMU, Tulsa would have been another great job for him. Success there would have him in the conversation with bigger programs.

Dabo has done great things at Clemson...it takes a bit more to be in the discussion with Saban...by the way what idiot wants that job after he leaves...where do you put your stamp on it after his multiple champs etc

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with risk to being misunderstood. ..

Dec 3, 2014, 12:01 PM

I think Dabo is very happy at Clemson, and Clemson is fortunate to have him as the leader of our football program. He may indeed be here for his entire career. That would certainly be the exception, not the rule in college football.

As big a fan of Dabo as I am, it does concern me when I see some seemingly almost lifting him to Sainthood. He is a huge part of Clemson right now, and deserves to be recognized for the job he continues to do!

Too many bad things happen when people invest too much of ther adoration for an individual rather than on the instutution that the individual represents. Dabos job is to sell Clemson, to get good kids, to put forward an image that enhances Clemson brand while winning football games. He has been pretty darn good at that.

I am reminded of Frank Howards words when Hatfield was announced as the new head coach at Clemson. Under re tand that Howard was as big a proponent of Dany as there was at Clemson. As te Clemson world was about to riot, he stood in front of the microphone and said , no individual is "bigger" than the program itself.

Its also like my Dad told me one time whe our churh was split and the preacher decided to start another churh and lobbied members to come with him. My Dad's advice ....stay with the building son.

Dabo has every right to lo8k at other opportunities , and if he finds one that is where he believes he needs to go, mor re power to him. Clemson will be Clemson , long after Dabo has moved on, or retired here.

I just hope if he does make a m8ve at some point , he is not attaked by some of you guys as a traitr or heathen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: with risk to being misunderstood. ..

Dec 3, 2014, 12:16 PM

Don't confuse my being All-In with pushing Dabo to the altar.

We've won more games in the last 4 years than any other 4 year period in our history.

The only players we don't graduate are those that leave early for the NFL

Unlike many other schools we don't have character issues

Dabo has won an ACC championship and a BCS bowl not to mention some other big wins.

I'm ecstatic Dabo is our head coach. That doesn't mean I'm not keeping things in perspective.

Great post.... I remember when Dabo was the WR coach

Dec 3, 2014, 12:06 PM

While Tommy was over on the sideline eating grass after a #### poor performance by his offense, Dabo was over on the sideline screaming at his WR's. I remember one play in particular at the chic fil a bowl in 2007- Aaron Kelly dropped a big 3rd down conversion and when he went over to the sideline, Dabo's head was HOT. He was yelling and screaming at Kelly for dropping that pass. Something we didn't see out of any other coach, especially Bowden. I remember Dabo 's first game as interim coach against GT. The punter mada bad punt and kind of walked towards the sideline with his head down. Dabo made his butt go back on the field and sprint back to the sideline. Dabo is a great coach, I don't know why some can't see it

people do not see it because they are too busy running their

Dec 3, 2014, 12:11 PM

Mouths to notice. You are absolutely spot on.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great post.... I remember when Dabo was the WR coach

Dec 3, 2014, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Great post.... I remember when Dabo was the WR coach ]

I had a friend from Atlanta with me at that GT game when Dabo sent Zimmerman back out on field, he actually noticed it while I was looking elsewhere. His words "how cool is that!"

Friend is an inner city rapper that's a UGA fan but Dabo impressed him that day.

And me too.

Dec 3, 2014, 11:32 PM

+1....

If he did, what would it say about him?

Dec 3, 2014, 11:50 PM

#4 is convincing.

Would really hate to see him go but I wouldn't blame Dabo for going home. And Alabama IS home.

Dec 4, 2014, 12:10 AM

1) They wouldn't hire Dabo. (You thought UF fan was pissed when his name was mentioned? More trees would die if the AD breathed Dabo's name)

Dec 4, 2014, 12:24 AM

All my Florida Gator friends told me they'd love to have Dabo coach the Gators...not sure who you've been talking to to??? Troll on little coot, troll on!! LOL

Dec 4, 2014, 7:28 PM

> All my Florida Gator friends told me they'd love to
> have Dabo coach the Gators...not sure who you've been
> talking to to??? Troll on little coot, troll on!! LOL

just going by what I read on the mainboard and UF message board. They were not flattered at all. Clemson fans not only ones who refer to him as a clown......it was tough to read tbh

Dec 4, 2014, 6:32 AM [ in reply to Re: The "Dabo taking over for Saban" talk ]

butthurt much?

The talk will be there when the time comes, I just don't think Dabo will listen.

Its a tough gig following a legend. Whoever goes there post

Dec 4, 2014, 10:33 AM

Saban will probably fail to live up to expectations.

You want to be the guy after the guy.

Re: Its a tough gig following a legend. Whoever goes there post

Dec 4, 2014, 10:47 AM

yep, one of my points above. In order to improve at Bama, there has to be some failure first.

Well stated...

Dec 4, 2014, 11:05 AM

...Dabo's vision of creating a model college football program for the nation is something you don't hear about too often. If he pulls this together into a national championship with the character of players on the roster, he will become Clemson lore and in my opinion, in the Ring of Honor IMMEDIATELY!

What the Coots cannot stand more than anything else is the RESPECT that Swinney commands across the nation for what he stands for and the morals with which he will not compromise.

He is for me personally an inspiration. I have great admiration for Dabo Swinney.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: Well stated...

Dec 4, 2014, 12:06 PM

Even better stated. thanks.

That is where the jealousy of Dabo comes from. He's having success while doing it right, they can't do that.

Good post and I agree for the most part. But you also.......

Dec 4, 2014, 12:17 PM

have to leave a small percentage open that he would. To quote Bear Bryant when he left the Aggies.

"I left Texas A&M because my school called me," Bryant said. "Mama called, and when Mama calls, then you just have to come running."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good post and I agree for the most part. But you also.......

Dec 4, 2014, 3:37 PM

Different era.

Remember Dabo started so young here at Clemson. Roots here for his entire family.

I hope your'e right. ******

Dec 4, 2014, 5:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All HAIL Dabo! Coot SLAYER!!!***

Dec 4, 2014, 6:26 PM

Dec 4, 2014, 8:59 PM

If offered in the next five years .... I'd say the odds are high he'd go. After that maybe a toss up. If he's winning and winning big here, he'd stay no matter

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Dec 4, 2014, 9:43 PM

I've never heard anyone suggest Alabama would want dabo - where does this come from?

Actually chatter about this for last

Dec 4, 2014, 10:47 PM

Year or two in Alabama. It is a feel good for Bama folks IF Dabo can win a championship here. And don't kid ourselves to think Dabo would not go back home.

Dec 5, 2014, 3:19 AM [ in reply to Re: The "Dabo taking over for Saban" talk ]

when I wrote this post there were two others on the board discussing the scenario.

And Bama fans have talked about it for a couple years now.

Regardless I don't think he'd go

Interesting...was wondering what its like for Jeff Scott

Dec 4, 2014, 10:16 PM

growing up as a Coot there in Cola with his dad. Wonder what they would have to say about the coots in private...off the record.

Re: Interesting...was wondering what its like for Jeff Scott

Dec 5, 2014, 3:24 AM

Scott was only at cootlumbia for 5 years. His formative years at FSU where Brad was line coach.

They've been at Clemson now longer than anywhere else and Jeff is a grad.

Money talks! Alabama his home

Dec 5, 2014, 6:52 AM

Who could blame him one day!

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic