Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Recruiting Update: Father of Xavier Thomas details his son's recruitment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Football Recruiting Update: Father of Xavier Thomas details his son's recruitment

Sep 18, 2017, 5:50 PM

Father of Xavier Thomas details his son's recruitment

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...and there you have it...

Sep 18, 2017, 6:03 PM

despite the influence of his father (who XT must truly respect), XT is exerting his growth and maturity to make his own decisions and be his own man... who CAN'T acknowledge and respect that in a teenager??

#GoTigers
#AllIn

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ...and there you have it...

Sep 18, 2017, 7:42 PM

I will say this and I truly mean it. I have lived through some awful years of Clemson FB, and my feeling for Clemson has never wavered, not once. But if I would have had a son that was the best FB recruit in the country during the time that Clemson was such a bad FB program, I wouldn't have approved of my son committing to Clemson bc of my love for Clemson. I would have wanted him at the best FB program in the country where he could have gotten the best college coaching that he could possibly get, yes, I would want the best for my son over any feelings I may have had of anything!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dad wanted him to stay in state until he picked Clemson

Sep 18, 2017, 7:46 PM

now he wants him to go out of state, since XT clearly has taken the coots off the list

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dad wanted him to stay in state until he picked Clemson

Sep 18, 2017, 7:48 PM

so that is what you got from that huh. smfh

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"our Gamecocks or the Clemson Tigers" is your

Sep 18, 2017, 8:34 PM

first clue

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "our Gamecocks or the Clemson Tigers" is your

Sep 18, 2017, 8:41 PM

"Our" was in reference of our state... that's my take..

Think you missed all the important points.***

Sep 18, 2017, 8:44 PM [ in reply to "our Gamecocks or the Clemson Tigers" is your ]

Re: ...and there you have it...

Sep 18, 2017, 11:40 PM [ in reply to ...and there you have it... ]

XT is a model young man and going to love to see him in Orange running down the hill and over qbs. He is a monster and can tell he hasn't nearly reached his ceiling of potential either which is scary. I have seen since at IMG he has improved technique wise and shows he is coachable as well as his ability to improve. Speaks volumes of his commitment with his dad wanting him to take officials and him saying he is a Tiger!! With the level of talent we are recruiting we are going to land a lot of guys later in the cycle because a lot of the elite guys want to take all their OVs before committing and who can blame them a free trip to get treated like a King for the weekend paid for to major colleges who wouldn't want to but Clemson doesn't like guys visiting while committed but we encourage them to take visits so they really know. Dabo and staff know that most of their top guys will come back bc of what we are building, we are going to start being top 5 recruiting classes every year mark my words. And also back to XT Coots think he played them but I think he literally gave them every shot he could to sell him and after visiting them and then coming back to clemson for the spring game he knew and prior to what they said he DIDNT want to lead them on and committed to the school he loved!! Go Tigers

Love XT. No matter what the path is, he will be suiting up a Tiger

Sep 18, 2017, 6:05 PM

Personally, I probably would have taken all 5 OV's, so I can't blame the kid if he wants to. I do fully expect him to wind up a Clemson Tiger.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Post starts with ALL IN

Sep 18, 2017, 6:20 PM

Dad says son is ALL IN and says all the stuff from just last week was him wanting his son to take visits . He plainly states that it was all him.

I will add just one thing, this FB post blows the Coot theory of Clemson doing something to get Dad out all to h3ll.

One question, does a parent have to sign the FAA if XT is under 18 ? If so,maybe before signing was the best time to talk about visits.

Re: Post starts with ALL IN

Sep 18, 2017, 6:24 PM

^BINGO.

Kudos to the dad for explaining what happened and taking the initiative to clear the air that it wasn't exactly Xavier that was thinking of de-committing like the rumors made it sound. In the end, he did explain he is behind his son, and that his son is All In. That's all I need to know about it.

Re: Post starts with ALL IN

Sep 18, 2017, 9:46 PM

Kudos for dad wanting what is best for his son. Kudos for dad counseling his son and respecting his opinion - you can't ask for more than that. Kudos for dad clearing the air. I appreciate the honesty and character. Sounds like his son will be a good fit!

Re: Football Recruiting Update: Father of Xavier Thomas details his son's recruitment

Sep 18, 2017, 6:23 PM

For a son to honor and respect his Dad's wishes.. is wholly consistent with the expectations that Dabo has for young men in the Clemson football program..

Much respect to XT's Dad for being upfront and addressing the chatter in this fashion..

And much respect for XT that he would be so respectful of his Father

Impressive kid and impressive family..
Anyone who says different isn't looking at the big picture

Clemson football wins because Dabo has built a culture that is all about doing the right thing..

Surely he understands

Re: Football Recruiting Update: Father of Xavier Thomas details his son's recruitment

Sep 18, 2017, 6:23 PM

For a son to honor and respect his Dad's wishes.. is wholly consistent with the expectations that Dabo has for young men in the Clemson football program..

Much respect to XT's Dad for being upfront and addressing the chatter in this fashion..

And much respect for XT that he would be so respectful of his Father

Impressive kid and impressive family..
Anyone who says different isn't looking at the big picture

Clemson football wins because Dabo has built a culture that is all about doing the right thing..

Surely he understands

Sep 18, 2017, 6:26 PM

if there were money involved, I wonder where it would be coming from.

where$$    [Results]

The University of Boom
badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It does make you wonder ...

Sep 18, 2017, 8:39 PM

I wanted my son to go to Clemson. I was sure that was where he was going. When he told me that he wanted to go to UGA, we debated the decision. Within the hour, once the debate was winding down and it was clear that my son really wanted to go to UGA, I knew to back down.

Point being, it's a bit late for XT's father to try to change his son's decision. Especially when Clemson is at the top and not moving backward. His father should talk to Kirk Herbsteit. At the end of the Louisville game, Kirk was explaining the fabulous culture that Dabo had built at Clemson.

GO TIGERS! Back off, dad. (one dad to another).

Mr. Thomas, I know you won't see this but, I truly respect

Sep 18, 2017, 6:32 PM

your stance. Absolutely take all 5 of your visits and enjoy the heck out of them.

When my child was being recruited, she told each school up front who she was being recruited by, that she wanted to sign early and wouldn't commit until she had taken her visits. Her mother and I encouraged her to take this stance. Every program respected her position, and if there would have been one that didn't then that program would be eliminated from consideration.

I have huge respect for Mr. Thomas. XT, make the choice that's best for you.

*I understand that D1 track isn't the same as FB, but there are enough similarities for this to be germane to the conversation.*

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not the same, not at all. Very, very bad analogy

Sep 19, 2017, 12:10 AM

Clemson tells recruits not to commit unless they are 110% certain. The commitment takes up a valuable scholarship, since Dabo doesn't run off players (see Muschamp, for example) or rescind offers/tell recruits to decommit (see Muschamp, for example) without a very good reason.

XT committed, as he said at the time, so he could recruit other great players to come along too. You can't recruit while flirting with other offers. Some other five star players are biding their time for any number of reasons. XT is out there trying to help put together a group with a shot at several national titles.

Re: Not the same, not at all. Very, very bad analogy

Sep 19, 2017, 9:47 AM

I think Archie o has it right, he committed when he was absolutely all in, then set out to help the cause of bringing in more top talent. Period. Can't play the field and remain beholden to one.

oh boy when you have steak why

Sep 18, 2017, 6:33 PM

Go look at ground beef? Lol

"Our Gamecocks"......

Sep 18, 2017, 6:44 PM

Good god!!!

Bout threw up in my mouth!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Our Gamecocks"...... Oh, boy i s right. .. slip up***

Sep 18, 2017, 8:43 PM

This makes it easier

Sep 18, 2017, 6:47 PM

The FACT that our HC and staff are sincere is not questioned. None of them are viewed as used car salesmen out on the recruiting trail. Ive discussed this with several high school coaches who have coached player Clemson has recruited and a couole of recruits as well. Jo one has ever given even the hint that our staff comes in with some canned gimmick and just carw about getting them to commit. People know our staff is more than just a coaching staff.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2017, 7:25 PM

I wished my dad had cared that much.

Take the visits, enjoy yourself of this special experience.

Sep 18, 2017, 7:57 PM

I see nothing wrong with taking the official visits. I know we would prefer not but for someone of this caliber this opportunity is unique and the visits would be to a lot of great games at good game time atmosphere. Enjoy, be safe, and hopefully, we will still see you at Clemson ( counting on it.)

I'm not worried at all. Visit wherever you want.

Sep 18, 2017, 8:02 PM

Check out everyone else's house. Then come back HOME to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a great Dad doing his job.***

Sep 18, 2017, 8:31 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly right! That father is looking out for his son, as

Sep 18, 2017, 10:36 PM

he should. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and he should be commended.

Also, he's not wrong. It's a big decision. You are afforded the opportunity to explore numerous locations and there's absolutely no reason not to.

I have absolutely, positively no doubt that XT will never in his life regret coming to Clemson. It is just a special place, a special program and a special coaching staff. Like Herbstreet said on Saturday, it is a healthy culture where the fans love the team, the coaches love the players, and the teammates love each other. He WILL be happy here. If he HAS to take his other visits, he should feel comfortable doing so.

Kudos to his dad and to him. I'm even more excited about him coming to Clemson now that I see where he comes from.

null

Sep 18, 2017, 8:40 PM

Now I want him to come here more than ever! Thank you Dad for loving your son! I can tell you as a father of 3 Clemson graduates and grandfather of 7, if Xavier does in fact come here, we will love him, but THANK YOU for demonstrating your love for your son. Awesome!

Can his Dad Play? I want him!!

Sep 18, 2017, 8:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2017, 9:49 PM

I understand his father's perspective and desire to ensure his son makes an informed decision on where he will play. I think he should also take all of his official visits, but he should have done this before committing. Dabo and his staff have had this policy in place for some time about not taking other visits once you commit. I know a few 5 stars like DW4 and Feaster have tested it with one visit but not 4 or 5. Dabo has a track record of telling all players to take all of their visits and go to as many schools as they can before they commit, but when they commit he expects that to mean something because we don't over recruit like sec schools. We commit to the player when they commit to us. Hard for me to believe the dad did not know Dabo's policy before XT committed. Everybody who follows college football knows Dabo's policy. Again, I understand the dad's perspective but imo he should respect the decision his son has already made. The time to encourage him to take all of his official visits was before he committed to Dabo and began recruiting other players to join him.

Sep 18, 2017, 10:59 PM

I really want this young man but if he is not All In after the other visits, I wish him the best. I will always love and respect him for being a stand up young man. I want someone who has been through every option and is still All In. That way we get the right man!

DW4 and Feaster did NOT take other official visits

Sep 19, 2017, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Recruiting Update: Father of Xavier Thomas details his son's recruitment ]

That is all.

Sep 19, 2017, 2:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Recruiting Update: Father of Xavier Thomas details his son's recruitment ]

He is staying committed because he knows, if he is looking around, so is Dabo.

Just wanted to add an additional thought

Sep 19, 2017, 4:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Recruiting Update: Father of Xavier Thomas details his son's recruitment ]

I completely agree with you that XT's father is trying to guide his son into making thee most informed decision possible and that taking all 5 OV's would be a good way to be 100 percent sure that he made the right decision.

Also, while I typically wouldn't hold it against any recruit that were to choose to take OV's following his verbal commitment in general, the situation is completely different when it comes to Clemson. Not because Clemson should have different expectations from their recruits per say, but simply because of Dabo's well known policy. When a player recruits to Clemson under Dabo, he is well aware of his position on taking any additional OV's.

Every school is free to have their own position about this issue, but in regards to Clemson, Dabo's philosophy could not have been more perfectly suited. While it may inherently lead to fewer blue chip prospects committing extremely early, it has clearly worked just fine overall even for those recruits that are adamant about taking all of their OV's. For every early commit (i.e., DW, CJ, Hyatt and TL, etc.) we have also had others commit very late (Stephone, Sammy, Tony Steward, etc).

The best example is Shaq Smith who committed early only to decommit in order to take his OV's and then committed again right around NSD. DW and Feaster did indeed visit other schools post-commitment, but they were not OV's.

As far as XT's father wanting his son to take all of his OV's, I think that is a completely normal sentiment that should be expected. If my son grows up and has the opportunity to play Div 1 sports and be recruited by multiple schools, I would want him to do the same thing. Naturally, I would want him to commit to Clemson, and I cannot even begin to fathom how I would feel if he were to choose a different school, but I would absolutely respect my son's decision.

I don't feel like XT's father isn't respecting his son's decision though. It's likely that they had discussed the entirety of the OV issue prior to his verbal commitment. His father can respect his son's decision but also wish that he was taking his OV's at the same time. I don't see the two things as mutually exclusive.

I think that the simple fact that XT's father issued that statement explaining the details of the situation was a wise choice. It provides a look into the in-family discussions that go into choosing a school. Something as short and simple as that can add more humanity and outside perspective to the recruit and his family in a couple of minutes than several months of reporting from the plethora of recruitniks all over the web.

Because XT's father made it clear that he was respecting his son's decision no matter what while also laying out his personal feelings on the matter leads me to believe that he does indeed support and respect XT to the fullest degree.

Also, it says a lot about XT's character that he appears (at least up to this point) to fully respect and abide by Dabo's policy, especially with the myriad of voices attempting to persuade him. It's also quite evident from his father's post just how much support he receives from his father and that the two have a very special relationship. They are both extremely lucky in that regard.

Re: Just wanted to add an additional thought

Sep 19, 2017, 2:21 PM

I totally see Dabo's point about if they commit, and I've heard that Dabo ask them to not commit if they still wanted to shop around, but, "if they commit", Dabo want's their recruiting process to be over and shut down. If a player has committed, and he continues talking to other schools, most of those coaches will dirty recruit, and they will do and say everything possible to get those committed guys to de-commit through any means necessary, even if it means telling the recruit brutal lies about the program and it's coaches they committed to. If a recruit is a high profile target like XT, or TL, they will offer cash, cars, or by hiring one of their parents with a high paying job at their school. If committed recruits aren't around coaches at other schools, and they won't be recruited by those types of, at any cost under handed coaches!!!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic