Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Report: Clemson adds future non-conference foes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

FB Update: Report: Clemson adds future non-conference foes

Aug 23, 2017, 7:29 PM

Report: Clemson adds future non-conference foes

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We Do Still Battle Mighty Mighty Wyoming...Right????? ---

Aug 23, 2017, 7:33 PM

We need that game for more Western exposure and recognition.

At Notre Dame in 2020...

Aug 23, 2017, 7:44 PM

That would be Trevor Lawrence and XT's junior season, right?

Would love to see Home & Away

Aug 23, 2017, 7:47 PM

with Tennessee, UGA, Florida, WVU, LSU, Oregon, USC (the real one) someday.

Those would be some great games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All really good games..here are a few in addition..

Aug 23, 2017, 7:50 PM

OSU in the SHoe and Michigan at Ann Arbor....

Finally, let's go to Tuscaloosa with a home and home against Bama

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: All really good games..here are a few in addition..

Aug 23, 2017, 8:15 PM

Bama won't play a home and away with any decent OOC team. They'll do 1 neutral site, but they're not willing to go to another major school

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama did a home and away with Penn State in 2010 and 2011

Aug 24, 2017, 8:20 AM

but that was probably scheduled 15 years ago.

Thats not true

Aug 24, 2017, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: All really good games..here are a few in addition.. ]

They played at Duke in 2010

Re: Thats not true

Aug 25, 2017, 9:25 AM

Ok, so it has happened in the past, but they haven't scheduled one in like 10 years. At least they're open to doing the neutral site kickoff games against big time opponents, but I like the home and aways that Clemson schedules. It's nice to see other stadiums and college towns. I'm really looking forward to A&M next year

Re: Why aTm but not UGA?

Aug 24, 2017, 9:50 AM [ in reply to All really good games..here are a few in addition.. ]

Just don't get this - aTm is a faux SEC team that is not in a critical recruiting area.

The past couple years showed why the Tiger / Dawg rivalry is one of the BEST and needs to occur anytime it can.

Go to Athens, win and get GA's recruits...

Re: Why aTm but not UGA?

Aug 24, 2017, 2:32 PM

We didn't win in Athens and we still take their recruits.

Re: Would love to see Home & Away

Aug 23, 2017, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Would love to see Home & Away ]

I always will support Clemson and attend no matter who the opponent is, but I'd just as soon stay home and mow the lawn as see Citadel or Charleston Southern as an opponent. We should be beyond that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Financial boost for smaller instate schools.***

Aug 23, 2017, 9:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shhhhh

Aug 24, 2017, 7:18 AM

It's not about any1 else. It is about what he wants.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Financial boost for smaller instate schools.***

Aug 25, 2017, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Financial boost for smaller instate schools.*** ]

Oh, I agree. It helps them. It does Zero for us, though, and I care more about us.

Aug 23, 2017, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Would love to see Home & Away ]

That doesn't sound like supporting them tho

We're no more beyond than anyone else in college football***

Aug 24, 2017, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Would love to see Home & Away ]

Aug 24, 2017, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Would love to see Home & Away ]

I have to agree with the playing the Citadel & Charleston Southern. Why does Clemson think they owe these in state schools to play them.

Aug 24, 2017, 2:33 PM

So you would rather us schedule Eastern Nevada State and give a financial boost to them rather than an in-state school that has in-state players on it?

Aug 24, 2017, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Would love to see Home & Away ]

The Citadel will make as much money from this one game as they do an entire season of home games at their stadium.

Aug 25, 2017, 1:54 PM

You may be correct.

Opening is 2021/2024 right now

Aug 23, 2017, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Would love to see Home & Away ]

It looks like we will either find another mid-level team to come to us in 2021 (maybe Central Florida?) OR have a team come to us in 2021 in exchange for a return trip in 2024. There's not many teams that could do that, but there are a few intriguing ones. In the SEC, Kentucky is probably the most likely to take that deal. TCU is another interesting one that could do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know why there isn't some kind of clearing house

Aug 24, 2017, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Would love to see Home & Away ]

system among Power 5 programs where we could pool open home and away dates together and let a committee assign match-ups for those slots on an annual basis following the end of the prior season based on competitive likeness, history, draw, etc. So much better than clawing out dates five-ten years in advance that may have zero relevance once the time comes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I decent team and 3 scrubs non conference

Aug 23, 2017, 7:50 PM

every year.

Re: FB Update: Report: Clemson adds future non-conference foes

Aug 23, 2017, 8:02 PM

I've heard that the Citadel plays pretty well against in-state competition. Not sure though.

My Rant

Aug 23, 2017, 8:12 PM

So disappointed that we still think it's still acceptable to schedule Citadel or Charleston Southern. To say we schedule them to give our guys experience and/or to allow playing time for non starters, I say our players would be better prepared by live scrimmages among ourselves (our scrubs are better). There is so little good that comes from this for Clemson. It certainly doesn't help our strength of schedule, and it adds no quality wins, and if the game is close, it hurts our image.

I like it. Our schedule is hard enough.

Aug 23, 2017, 8:27 PM

Bama plays Mercer the game before Auburn. It's good to have some "breaks" if you want to win it all.

Re: I like it. Our schedule is hard enough.

Aug 25, 2017, 1:56 PM

I see all sides of it. I just voiced my opinion. I know there are valid arguments both ways.

Re: My Rant

Aug 23, 2017, 8:27 PM [ in reply to My Rant ]

Don't we have to schedule an in state college (not the Shamecocks) every year, per SC law?

Re: My Rant

Aug 23, 2017, 9:17 PM

No there is no law requiring it but Dabo has made a point of playing instate foes.

We're required by the legislature to play two little in state schools

Aug 23, 2017, 9:02 PM [ in reply to My Rant ]

a year. The chickens and one other of our choice......

Message was edited by: mikeyT®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We're required by the legislature to play two little in state schools

Aug 23, 2017, 10:39 PM

That's completely false

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Its only half false

Aug 24, 2017, 2:58 PM

We are required by law to play South Carolina every as the last game of the season. This was established long ago as a snub to the Southern Conference.

Re: We're required by the legislature to play two little in state schools

Aug 25, 2017, 1:57 PM [ in reply to We're required by the legislature to play two little in state schools ]

Nice dig! +1

We rotate in state schools to get them revenue

Aug 23, 2017, 9:10 PM [ in reply to My Rant ]

We usually play one interdivision game (Auburn). One lower tier FBS (Kent state) and always one in state (citadel)

The amount of money they get is very important to their athletic depts. might as well keep it instate.

Back to back National Championship games and we are

Aug 23, 2017, 11:51 PM [ in reply to My Rant ]

worried about SOS? Talk to someone in the know and find out the teams being listed in some posts that will never give us a home and home because they will not play us.

Most schools play one of these games.

Aug 24, 2017, 8:25 AM [ in reply to My Rant ]

It's not like the alternative is great either. It's either going to be a local FCS school or another non-P5 FBS school (like Kent St). We aren't going to schedule two marquee OOC games plus South Carolina.

I actually like the way we schedule right now. SC + 1 big name OOC opponent + 1 non-p5 school (App, Troy, Kent St, etc) + 1 in-state FCS school.

Re: Most schools play one of these games.

Aug 25, 2017, 2:01 PM

There is no right nor wrong. I just voiced my opinion. Lots of good discussion both for and against.

We already have a non conference whipping boy in USUK

Aug 23, 2017, 8:49 PM

We really need to keep the SOS as high as possible to keep on contending for NC's

Re: We already have a non conference whipping boy in USUK

Aug 24, 2017, 2:36 PM

No, we just have to keep putting good talent on the field and win our conference.

Why would keeping our schedule moving forward the same as it has been the last two years when we did go to NC's make us less likely to go to NC's?

Wish there was some way every power 5 team could ONLY...

Aug 23, 2017, 8:55 PM

play other power 5 teams. This citadel game nonsense is such crap. We all play these games because, well , we all do. If only everyone could agree to play only power 5 teams it would make things so much more interesting. These throwaway games (if you're not the chickens) just do nothing positive and I couldn't care less about writing a small school a check to help fuel their AD

Re: Wish there was some way every power 5 team could ONLY...

Aug 23, 2017, 10:35 PM

I guess that is ok. But that money gives so many scholarships out for people.

But they do give the guys on our roster that are buried on the depth chart a chance to play. Kelly Bryant would have even less experience than he does now if he didn't play in garbage time.

Noteworthy:

Aug 23, 2017, 9:20 PM

We host Notre Dame on Labor Day (Monday) 2031.

(Checking the farmer's almanac now to see if it's supposed to rain that day)

Aug 23, 2017, 9:25 PM

Athletic Dept. missed a good chance to treat the traveling fans to a great trip by not scheduling Wyoming as a home/home series. Striking stadium on a beautiful campus in a state where everywhere you turn is a scenic wonder. Also, eat buffalo every meal.

Aug 30, 2017, 1:40 PM

I thought Wyoming was scheduled for a trip to Death Valley. Is that still on the table? Would be nice to see a team from a completely different conference.

Aug 23, 2017, 9:43 PM

OOC variety is great. Clemson's stature is finally there nationally.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad we scheduled Charleston Southern

Aug 23, 2017, 10:32 PM

C/O 2015. I've been wanting this for a few years now.

UGA

Aug 23, 2017, 10:36 PM

It would be ideal if we played UGA every single year opposite home and home as usuck. No need to search for other P5 opponents just lock it in

Why are we scheduling South Carolina's rival so many times.

Aug 23, 2017, 10:58 PM

I think The Citadel has beaten them twice in Columbia in the last few appearances.

Aug 23, 2017, 11:05 PM

That is the most underwhelming teams I have ever seen... besides Notre Dame

Aug 24, 2017, 6:37 AM

The NCAA should allow a Spring Game of FBS vs FCS and one preseason scrimmage of FBS vs FCS that the schools could split the revenue from. Then ban those games as regular season games. I'm okay with Power Five vs Group of Five. That would leave enough scheduling options and there are enough quality teams from the Group of Five that they can be considered viable games. At least they have the same number of scholarships.

If you paired that change with an expansion of the playoffs to eight teams you would really open the door for better games and schedules. With an eight team playoff, you could have five auto bids and three at large bids. The focus would then shift to winning your division instead of going unbeaten.

Aug 24, 2017, 2:39 PM

So, basically, you're complaining about one game a year?

Sounds like we don't host USUC in 2022***

Aug 24, 2017, 10:01 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea... I believe it was just an obvious omission...***

Aug 30, 2017, 2:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 24, 2017, 10:10 AM

I think that it's a slap in the face, and shioting in the mouth of the FB gods that we haven't played WVU since our horrible 2012 Orange Bowl beat down!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic