Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fans @ NCAA wrestling tourney sending message to Stanford
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 983

Fans @ NCAA wrestling tourney sending message to Stanford

Mar 20, 2021, 8:42 PM

165 lb-er Shane Griffith of Stanford won the national title. In the post-match, all the fans in attendance broke out into a "Keep Stanford Wrestling" chant while Griffith donned a Hoodia with the same phrase.

Those unaware w/ backstory, Stanford's wrestling program was one of the sports the school announced would be cut at year's end. A group of former alumni have been fighting for the school to reverse the decision, & have also raised over $12 million that would essentially fund the program (several of the other programs @ Stanford have done similar alumni support & fundraising efforts). However the school has refused to overturn their decision despite the funds raised by the groups.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can see them holding firm unless donors committed yrly

Mar 20, 2021, 8:49 PM

Contribution.so they fund everything for another yr, what about the yr after that and the next and the next. That's what the school is looking at.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wrestling doesn't take much $ to fund a team as much as some other sports

Mar 20, 2021, 9:30 PM

scholarship limit of 9.9 which are usually split among the wrestlers (not many full-rides among a sport that averages 30 participants per team) & in terms of facilities, equipment, travel costs for competition, etc, not as much overhead as some other sports. That $12 million would fund the program very well for years to come (from what they said on the broadcast, would essentially have the program set going forward)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 983
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic