Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
B1G Head of Officials didn't like overturn of fumble
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

B1G Head of Officials didn't like overturn of fumble

Dec 31, 2019, 8:06 AM

Check out this link
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-supervisor-of-officials-fumble-return-for-td-should-have-stood-in-ohio-state-clemson-game/

Some interesting stuff here, but as usual only one side given. So the Big Ten Supervisor of Officials didn't like the call. Who would have figured that? In fact, he disliked it so much that he contacted Ryan Day and the OSU AD about it. He also contacted the head official of the SEC and let him know he didn't like the call. The on-field referee (Williamson) said that in his opinion, and the opinion of the replay booth, and the SEC home office, the ball was "moving" and the "catch was never completed." Carollo (the B1G guy) said that Williamson "misspoke on that. The ball was not moving." No equivocation, just "wrong." Sounds a lot like a biased opinion to me. Carollo went on to say that he "would have preferred it [the call] stand." Another amazing statement from someone who definitely has a dog in the fight. But what about the SEC? Do they have a "favorite" on the field? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't recall the last time an SEC official has bent over backwards to give Clemson a break. But according to 11 Warriors (OSU Fan Site) there should have been a Big 12 officiating crew for this game, because they "lean more toward B1G officiating, while the SEC favors southern teams." In other words, OSU should have had an officiating crew that favored them. Yeah, right.

So, now we have officials from one conference (B1G, with a team in the game) criticizing officials from another conference (SEC, without a team in the game) and stirring up controversy. And of course, Carollo "hasn't talked to anyone who didn't think it was a fumble." There's another shocker. What about the NCAA rule about coaches and other school officials criticizing officiating in the media? Shouldn't there be some fines coming down about that?

Carollo's major point centers on "overturning the call on the field." As I posted earlier, the problem with reviewing a call of this nature is that there should not be a "ruling on the field" unless the official has a strong opinion. Just my opinion. You can't tell me that in this bang-bang play (watch it in real time) the HL could have had any indication that the play was other than an incomplete pass. He threw his bean bag and allowed the play to continue because that's what he is taught to do. After the play was complete, it should have been referred to the replay officials to determine what had happened-- with no pre-judgement of a "ruling on the field." Realtime, I immediately said "incomplete pass." Then on the first two replay angles, I said, "crap, that's a fumble." Then on the next replay, it looked pretty definitive that he never completed the catch-- by rule. Since the play happened directly across the field from where I was sitting, I had a pretty good angle. I've also not heard any discussion that all movement from the time of contact was away from the receiver's intended direction up the field. I'm pretty sure that means his forward progress had been stopped, so IF the pass was complete, the whistle should have blown.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

F him ***

Dec 31, 2019, 8:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did he feel about OSU's red zone struggles?

Dec 31, 2019, 8:14 AM

I mean, that's why they lost - Venables out-coached Ryan Day in the red zone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How did he feel about OSU's red zone struggles?

Dec 31, 2019, 10:37 AM

Dobbins dropped a couple of would-be-TD balls. As several pundits have said, those drops were not on the officials. Roughing the kicker was not on the officials. OSU had their chances. They did not capitalize.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: B1G Head of Officials didn't like overturn of fumble

Dec 31, 2019, 8:15 AM

Ultimate irony.....if somehow this opinion, which has been stated, benefits Clemson on a play in the NC game. Good times right there.

His objectivity is noted...

Dec 31, 2019, 8:21 AM

and serves as a reminder why B1G officials were not permitted to call this game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: His objectivity is noted...

Dec 31, 2019, 8:27 AM

OSU gets those calls against PSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 8:27 AM

So what crew is officiating in championship?Sure hope it isn't B1G.

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

Dec 31, 2019, 8:31 AM

I think I saw it was PAC12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Re: B1G Head of Officials didn't like overturn of fumble ]

It's always a crew from a conference that isn't in the playoffs, so this year it's the PAC12. Although I wouldn't be surprised if in future years when we do have a B1G crew that we get hosed on a few calls.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Clemson's win over Ohio State......

Dec 31, 2019, 8:31 AM

.....is more fun because of all the whining from Ryan Day, the Big 10 head of officials, the Ohio State Athletic Director and thousands of Ohio State fans.

The game was great and hyper competitive. Day had his team well prepared and ready to play. No one expected Day to open up with 12 passes in the first 14 plays. Clemson did not expect and was not prepared for the hurry up from Ohio State and the Buckeyes took advantage early of our defensive tendency to get the call in at the last possible moment and to substitute quickly between plays. And the Buckeyes were talented. They jumped on us hard and led 16-0. Ohio State made a great start.

But Clemson is rock solid. You don't win 29 straight without good players, a good plan, strength of character and a total team commitment. You don't play in four out of the five CFP Championship games without being a great program. So our Tigers came back and as everyone knows, we made the plays to win the game and Ohio State didn't. An, oddly enough, your coach, administration, team and fans were surprised.

I'd have taken the win, been thankful for it and felt pretty good about Ohio State if only the non-stop whining had not started at half time and continued unabated, perhaps forever.

Now the win is even more fun, more memorable and the distance between our two programs is even more starkly in our favor. Your whining and blaming others for the loss makes the win better for us.

And I might add that Ohio State sowed the seeds of their loss in their pregame planning. Day made a huge deal about their intent to be viciously aggressive from the start of the game. You know the old 'hit'em in the mouth' strategy. He preached it and his team played it. The Buckeyes played the tough, aggressive card so hard, they lost a great DB to targeting and they gave us 15 yards when we needed them. The Buckeyes preached the mantra of uber aggressiveness so hard, two of their punt team guys ran over our punter as hard and as badly as possible on a punt from our own goal line. And they again got penalized and gave us 15 yards when we really needed them.

Day's pre-game strategy and his mistaken understanding that his team could intimidate the Clemson Tigers cost him, Ohio State, and all those good players any chance they might have had to beat Clemson. They foolishly pissed off Trevor Lawrence!

So now Buckeye nation gets to sit on the couch, cry salty tears and root like crazy for LSU to do the job they were unable to do themselves. It's almost like Ohio State has become a member of the SEC Nation.

Thanks Buckeyes. You've made our win so much sweeter with your whining, crying, pouting, screaming, pissed off post game attitude.

Next time remember who your Daddy is. It's 4-0 Clemson over Ohio State and our 40 year run of domination over THE OSU continues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 8:50 AM

I thought there was generally repercussions when people complained about officiating. It would not aggravate me so bad but I keep hearing about all of the other calls that didn't go OSU's way that obviously should not have. I've read several articles that keep bringing them up and many even say they were the right calls. If it was the right call don't stir the pot by bringing it up. There was one controversial call that I think was the right call but was surprised it was overturned. It wouldn't have mattered either way because we would have reacted to the situation at hand and still won. The NCAA needs to fine OSU for Day and definitely for the AD, and they need to suspend the B1G head of officials. I understand that they are upset, but something should be done to curb the BS.

Listening to them all whine and complain...

Dec 31, 2019, 9:17 AM

just makes the win that much sweeter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Disturbing behavior from B1G Supervisor Officials

Dec 31, 2019, 9:17 AM

Going out of his way to contacting SEC officials and others et. al. to voice his version of how to call the play. Is it going to be the new norm for officials from various conferences to whine and complain to and/or about other officials?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That dude is calling everyone.. called me 12 times last

Dec 31, 2019, 10:49 AM

Night.. finally had to block his #.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

LOL ******

Jan 1, 2020, 5:53 PM

Dec 31, 2019, 10:59 AM

I don't give a rat's rear end what any official from any conference or league says. I have read the rule many time and again a number of times in the last two days. Their opinion is no better than mine and they can't change the rules because of an opinion. If someone doesn't like the rule they should try and get it changed. The play met part one and two of the criteria of a catch, but nor part 3 (possessing the ball long enough to make a move common to the game) ....i.e. "pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc., " In real time, not slow motion, he does not have time to do those.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2019, 11:02 AM

it's been 3 days and they're still whining about it....now they're claiming the coin toss was rigged...sad

Where did you see coin toss conspiracy?

Dec 31, 2019, 11:04 AM

I need a good laugh

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where did you see coin toss conspiracy?

Dec 31, 2019, 11:06 AM

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2019/12/111105/what-was-up-with-the-coin-flip

they’re drunk.***

Jan 1, 2020, 6:03 PM

And I don't like rain while I'm trying to play golf. Guess

Dec 31, 2019, 11:05 AM

what? Neither of us is going to do a darn thing about either of those things. The people who had the authority to make the calls, MADE the calls. Move the heyall on, already.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s a good thing we didn’t have those biased officials

Jan 1, 2020, 5:54 PM

Working the game. This guy should be removed from his position for such an obvious bias.

tough ??.

Jan 1, 2020, 5:59 PM

bumbling bucknuts.

Jan 1, 2020, 6:07 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic