Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Excuses Excuses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Excuses Excuses

Jan 4, 2018, 10:40 AM

Since Monday night's loss, I've been seeing nothing but excuses on why Clemson got beat. I've seen more than a handful of Tiger fans blame Kelly Bryant's poor performance on him alone. Can we move on to what's to come for this upcoming season? Not even Alabama wins the Title every year. They have won many times in the past 15 years, but not every year.

As for Monday night, it's really quite simple. There were some questionable coaching calls, the offensive line didn't play physical enough to give KB protection, and WRs dropped 5 or 6 crucial passes that would have won us the game. The defensive front 7 played to perfection shutting down the run and getting after Jalen Hurts, but our secondary didn't stick to their coverage assignments, and this isn't the first game that they've played super soft coverage. I mean, who leaves Calvin Ridley on an island by himself? He was open most of the night. I think our defensive secondary has relied too much on our front seven creating chaos at the line of scrimmage. We need to tighten up our coverage in the secondary by playing assignment football. If there is a mismatch, then we pull a player out and send in one that can get the job done.

The bottom line is this, Clemson did not execute to the level of Best Being The Standard. They didn't stay focused on execution, and it cost us the win. I think we will see that on film, and make corrections for the plan moving forward. However, this game was lost, this season is over, and there is no shame in losing a game in the playoffs at 12-2 with the 3rd youngest roster in the nation. We will be back, we will be better next year, and new guys coming in will have an immediate impact. GO TIGERS!

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Agreed. People need to turn the page.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:46 AM

This staff has proven themselves. Both them and the players know what has to be addressed. Sometimes the guy across the line from you is just better. Sometimes the team doesn’t execute. Whatever the reason may be it’s for the coaches to worry about. I’m not going to criticize any component of one of the top programs in the land as long as we are running a clean disciplined program.

BTW how are you coming along with your sleep?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed. People need to turn the page.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:01 AM

> This staff has proven themselves. Both them and the
> players know what has to be addressed. Sometimes the
> guy across the line from you is just better.
> Sometimes the team doesn’t execute. Whatever the
> reason may be it’s for the coaches to worry about.
> I’m not going to criticize any component of one of
> the top programs in the land as long as we are
> running a clean disciplined program.
>
> BTW how are you coming along with your sleep?

Well, I agree. As for my sleep disorders, not so good. The good news is that I was tested and returned a negative result for FFI and SFI which are two fatal sleep disorders. What I do have is:

Stress or combat related Night Terrors
Apnea
Hypopnea
REERS
and Nocturnal TMJ

So I'm officially on a CPAP, but it's not helping me any. It actually makes me feel worse.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller

Jan 4, 2018, 11:47 AM

I will continue to lift you up in my prayers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 2:01 PM

Thanks for the prayers CootSmackDown.

~Chesty Puller

Re: Excuses Excuses

Hey! Don’t start that “rational thought” stuff on this site.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Excuses Excuses

Hey! Don’t start that “rational thought” stuff on this site.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blame who you wish...

Jan 4, 2018, 10:51 AM

but both Clemson and Bama had at least four weeks to browse the ice cream shop. We walked away with a vanilla cone and Bama took away a banana split.

IMO - we should have been better prepared for multiple scenarios. The fact is that we were jut not. But we shall return next year better for the hard lessons learned. I hope!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In your metaphor is a banana split better than a

Jan 4, 2018, 10:59 AM

vanilla cone? Because I'd rather have a vanilla cone than a banana split. Banana splits are gross.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: In your metaphor is a banana split better than a

Jan 4, 2018, 11:04 AM

I'm sure cutigerbob® and Francis Marion® wood love to split your banana

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You assuming there's enough for two or just hopeful?***

Jan 4, 2018, 11:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In your metaphor is a banana split better than a

Jan 4, 2018, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: In your metaphor is a banana split better than a ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I like bananas and I like splits, even if it's someone's...

Jan 4, 2018, 11:04 AM [ in reply to In your metaphor is a banana split better than a ]

daughter[more so], but I have to agree with you here, I'd take the cone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now I want ice cream

Jan 4, 2018, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Blame who you wish... ]

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The defense played pretty well to only give up 17 with the

Jan 4, 2018, 11:39 AM

field position Alabama had all night. Agree they had some open receives in soft coverage. Disappointed with how we played Monday night for sure, but good year PERIOD, especially with the losses from last year on offense. The loss does not give me too much heartache, but being manhandled at a lot of positions does.

Next year, who knows. Not positive we will be "better" by any means. May lose 3 of 4 on the starting defensive line, and the starters this year were loads better than second string. ALso have to replace O'Daniel, who rarely left the field. May lose 3 off the offensive line, so again that group will be a question mark going into the year. We need someone to become the go-to receiver on the edge out of the crowd at those positions, and we need to find a tight end that is a consistent threat.

I look forward to spring practice to see what an additional year does for some of the guys, how the redshirts work in, and who from the early enrollees make a statement. The o-line and qb will be particularly interesting. Also want to see what happens in O'Daniels position, not sure Jalen William is the answer there.

Enjoying the success, and can't wait until September!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The defense played pretty well to only give up 17 with the

Jan 4, 2018, 1:11 PM

> field position Alabama had all night. Agree they had
> some open receives in soft coverage. Disappointed
> with how we played Monday night for sure, but good
> year PERIOD, especially with the losses from last
> year on offense. The loss does not give me too much
> heartache, but being manhandled at a lot of positions
> does.
>
> Next year, who knows. Not positive we will be
> "better" by any means. May lose 3 of 4 on the
> starting defensive line, and the starters this year
> were loads better than second string. ALso have to
> replace O'Daniel, who rarely left the field. May
> lose 3 off the offensive line, so again that group
> will be a question mark going into the year. We need
> someone to become the go-to receiver on the edge out
> of the crowd at those positions, and we need to find
> a tight end that is a consistent threat.
>
> I look forward to spring practice to see what an
> additional year does for some of the guys, how the
> redshirts work in, and who from the early enrollees
> make a statement. The o-line and qb will be
> particularly interesting. Also want to see what
> happens in O'Daniels position, not sure Jalen William
> is the answer there.
>
> Enjoying the success, and can't wait until September!

To be honest, the only one I see leaving from the defense is Dorian O'Daniel, and maybe one other. I do not see anyone from the Defensive Line leaving for two reasons.

1. They seen the pain in Swinney's eyes from Monday's loss. They share a mutual love with the man. I also do not see Farrell leaving. Many of the players whom have left in the past season have announced such after the last game of the season. I'm talking, almost immediately following the game. Many of them said after the game that they still had not decided. Of course, many of them say that before the last game or during the post season because they do not want to create distractions. However, the same players suspected of declaring early kept their same answers following Monday's loss. If they were for sure leaving then they would have said so in my opinion. Notice that Swinney continues to talk about how most of the team will return. Losing 3 of the four starters on the D-Line is a major factor and Coach Swinney wouldn't be that jubilant about that. He knows that we need them and their leadership for next year.

2. I see improvement from year to year with players that return. I mean, look at most of the players like Grady Jarrett, Ben Boulware, and many others who improved to become key leaders on the team in matters of leading the younger guys and production on the field. Another year of strength and conditioning, installations, and practices at respective positions. We made it to 12-2 on raw talent. Imagine what happens when we begin to mold and sharpen the skillsets? Then you add in the competition of players across the whole roster competing for the starting spot.

3. Coach Swinney has said many times, that NOBODY has a secure spot on the roster. Swinney does have loyalty, but his loyalty lies more with performance. He is partial to performance. I will admit, that I wanted Hunter Johnson since the Spring Game to be the starting QB, until I seen him play in game situations. Lots of talent with a great arm, but he simply wasn't ready to step into that role like Kelly Bryant was. I think he continues to develop and push for more playing time though.

Final Thought: Coach Swinney has been recruiting at a high level for years now. What will happen as a result will be players transferring, players losing starting positions, and quite frankly losing playing time. Many will elect to transfer to junior colleges. It happens all of the time at elite programs. However, Coach Swinney will have to factor that in when doling out playing time. Nobody comes to Clemson to ride the bench so some playing time is better than none. If he continues to build depth the way he did this season, then I do not see it impacting us much at all. GO TIGERS!

~Chesty Puller

Hope you're right CP on the number headed early to the draft

Jan 4, 2018, 3:28 PM

Certainly is going to be interesting to see where that group ends up!

Re: The defense played pretty well to only give up 17 with the

Jan 4, 2018, 3:43 PM [ in reply to The defense played pretty well to only give up 17 with the ]

D only gave up 10

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

47 yd drive for fg, 46 yd for td, and 27 yd drive for td.

Jan 4, 2018, 3:52 PM

Short fields on all of them, especially the last. TOs and special teams did not help us in the least.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic