Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Doesn't Sound good for Mackensie
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Doesn't Sound good for Mackensie

Apr 20, 2016, 7:07 AM

I copied this from Walter Football's NFL draft feed. Wouldn't Sherman be put into this same category? I think his team would say that he is worth it....

Mackensie Alexander and Shaq Lawson, Clemson
I'm not hearing good things about Mackensie Alexander outside the lines.

Despite his on-the-field talent, numerous sources have told me the junior cornerback is a very difficult person to deal with off the field. He was difficult at Clemson, and some of his coaches are giving Alexander less than rave reviews to NFL teams - and I'm being kind. This is something originally brought to my attention during Clemson's pro day on March 10, and something I took with a grain of salt. But since last Friday, I've spoken with multiple sources, and it seems Alexander's off-the-field personality has been spoken about at length in war rooms around the league. In my opinion, the junior cornerback has the best ball skills of any defensive back in the draft, but if he starts to drop deep into Round 1, or even out of the first frame altogether, it'll be due to his off-the-field persona.

The situation could not be any different for Shaq Lawson. I'm told the guy is a warrior; not only on game day, but on the practice field, and his motor is always on. He's someone teammates are drawn to, and the feeling is Lawson will be a major asset on game day, on the practice field and in the locker room.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php#Zsx1kfz3PPMKgJyU.99

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doesn't Sound good for Mackensie

Apr 20, 2016, 7:09 AM

In recent years I watched Clowney, Manziel and Winston get drafted, just to name a few.

I'm thinking Mack will be just fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dispite

Apr 20, 2016, 8:46 AM

The off the field stuff I'm not sure I'd put Winston in there, by all accounts he is a terrific team mate as well as a winner

His point stands though

Apr 20, 2016, 9:18 AM

While he appears to be a likable guy, he got drafted very highly with some considerable off the field baggage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could be wrong, but nothing I read in the last three years gave an inkling

Apr 20, 2016, 7:15 AM

about Mac being anything but a hard worker. Early to film, staying late to film. Work hard in gym and on field. What is this guy talking about?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they put him on an island, and then say he's not a social team player?

Apr 20, 2016, 8:55 AM

that doesn't sound right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

If you look back to Dabo's "win with class" speech at HT at

Apr 20, 2016, 9:54 AM [ in reply to I could be wrong, but nothing I read in the last three years gave an inkling ]

Miami, I'd assume Mack was spoken to quite often by coaches telling him to tone down on the smack talk, which he never did.

That would be my best guess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Growing up dirt poor in Immokalee had to be tough ...

Apr 20, 2016, 10:21 AM

... just saying.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For sure. You and I know what an interesting place

Apr 20, 2016, 10:25 AM

it is both good and bad. It's only 20 miles from my house and I can drive there and it's like being in a third world country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Growing up dirt poor in Immokalee had to be tough ...

Apr 20, 2016, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Growing up dirt poor in Immokalee had to be tough ... ]

Talk about motivation to wok hard at all costs.

I believe in Mac....he will make the first round....we will be talking about him and his ability on the field for years to come.

Hard to buy

Apr 20, 2016, 7:29 AM

If he was that bad, we would have heard something about that along time ago. Hard to hide that these days. Pretty sure Mac will be ok.

Re: Hard to buy

Apr 20, 2016, 7:54 AM

Surely 3 years in college would have brought it out.

Re: Hard to buy

Apr 20, 2016, 8:10 AM [ in reply to Hard to buy ]

yep that was my reaction too

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2016, 7:50 AM

Don't believe this. Someone is tossing out nonsense to get his draft position to fall. Someone wants to get a steal. Won't work.

Apr 20, 2016, 8:42 AM

You are correct. Steelers are nervous someone will draft him early.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2016, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't Sound good for Mackensie ]

I think its more along the lines of someone wanting clicks for their website.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2016, 7:56 AM

This is the exact same guy that was the first to start tearing into Tajh. Whether he is right or wrong, how about we not give the web traffic to a guy that seems to revel into going after Clemson players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2016, 10:10 AM

IDK, he seemed to revel in raving about Lawson's work ethic and locker room personality.

Apr 20, 2016, 3:59 PM

I'm not saying there is nothing to it but Pauline took it to an extreme. He basically called into every talk show on 107.5 in Columbia for two days trashing Tajh to the delight of SCar fans. And of course the whole time it's "I'm impartial - this is just what I'm hearing.' He knows we have passionate fans and were easily seduced by his click bait in the past. Praising Lawson is just him covering his ###. The most damaging thing in the article is insinuating that our coaches would deliberately say anything negative about Mac and I don't believe that for one second. Any hint of truth to it is something like this: Coach "Mac is 100% committed and sometimes even skips voluntary recreational activity to study film and workout" Paul "He is difficult and standoffish from his teammates." These "reporters" are vultures eeking out a meager living on web clicks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've seen the same thing multiple times.

Apr 20, 2016, 8:02 AM

I don't know if it's all accurate or not, but it's what is being said behind the scenes. I can definitely see where Mac's personality can be a little offsetting and rubs people the wrong way. I think GM's, scouts and coaches want to see confident players but not overly cocky, which might be what impression Mac is putting out there. I still think he should be a top 20 pick. The whole "0 interceptions" BS is stupid as ####.

Re: I've seen the same thing multiple times.

Apr 20, 2016, 8:43 AM

Perhaps if he liked crab legs more he would be a higher draft pick.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've seen the same thing multiple times.

Apr 20, 2016, 8:52 AM [ in reply to I've seen the same thing multiple times. ]

No way in heyall that Mac Island falls out of the first round of the 2016 NFL DRAFT .
The guy is a player , and that's what NFL owners and GMs want , pure and simple .
Cocky or whatever they say is what about 40% of the current players in the league are . Stay humble at church , but beast all over the field .

DB23

Is Sherman known for off-field issues?

Apr 20, 2016, 8:05 AM

All I've ever heard about him is how hard he works off the field, how much time he spends studying film, etc. Can't say I've ever heard negative things about his off the field behavior. Or are you basing that assumption off of one post-game interview?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

There is no way Clemson coaches would say anything negative

Apr 20, 2016, 8:28 AM

to scouts about him. All they were ever quoted as saying was in the effect that he was in the film room longer than anyone on the team, he was uber-competitive, more mature and professional than most, etc.

Two older articles that suggest the contrary...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13467468/clemson-tigers-cornerback-mackensie-alexander-best-worked-it

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2609529-2016-nfl-draft-clemson-cornerback-mackensie-alexander-is-best-in-class

this explains why the coaches made him available for post practice interviews along with all the other trouble makers.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2016, 8:47 AM

The truly great ones are always a little quirky. The Jordans, Kobe Bryants, Wayne Gretsky, etc. They're just wired different. This is separates them from the average guy. I think Alexander is no different, and will have a great NFL career.

Apr 20, 2016, 8:48 AM

Another one... Smh

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2634286-mackensie-alexander-latest-news-rumors-and-buzz-surrounding-cbs-draft-stock

Apr 20, 2016, 9:04 AM

it's only quoting/citing the article above.

no new "news"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Apr 20, 2016, 9:14 AM

You're right. But none of this is new "news". I don't understand how 3 months ago, everyone in the country is talking about Mack in a good light... Fast forward to now and it's, "he's only 5'10"", "he's had no "ball action" his entire college career", "he has zero interceptions", and/or "he talks a lot of trash on the field"...

Yeh, AND? The whole process is brutal to these young people. One minute you're on top of the world, praised in the highest regard; next week, you're a bum. And these fn journalists should all have more accountability... Their words and opinions most certainly play a role in the teams' decision making on draft day, regardless of the teams personnel saying they don't take any of what they say into account.

Nkemdiche is talking to people about buying a panther after all the dumb s••t he's done in his college career but these people are sitting at their laptops criticizing Mack's behavior? It's all bs.

its not "another one". It's the same one

Apr 20, 2016, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't Sound good for Mackensie ]

It's just reposting the Tony Pauline schtick. stop giving him the time of day. It's his second major hit job on a Clemson player when no one else had anything negative to say prior and this time he is trying to take down our coaching staff as well. How do you think it plays on the recruiting trail if you tell prospects a team's coaches slander former players immediately prior to the draft. Not very well.

The only negative I've ever heard about Mack off the field

Apr 20, 2016, 8:59 AM

is that he didn't hang out a bunch with teammates. He never took group pictures, rarely participated in non-mandatory group activities (ie. During the Russell Athletic Bowl he didn't go out with the guys to Disney World during their leisure time. He stayed in his room and watched film) and kinda always did his own thing. I guess some people could look at that as a negative in thinking that he may alienate himself from his teammates which could hurt team chemistry. However, I always got the impression from his teammates that that was just how Mackensie was and they accepted and respected it because he was always working to make himself better player.

This is probably one of those things where if you're looking for a negative about Alexander, you can take this, twist it, and make it work for you (like assuming he may not be that good because he had zero INTs in 2 yrs). Mack's probably not a guy that every team will love, but you know there are enough teams out there that will find his work ethic, seriousness, confidence, and mental approach as endearing qualities.

Apr 20, 2016, 9:11 AM

I don't buy a sentence of this garbage.

My take

Apr 20, 2016, 9:17 AM

It sounds like one of those single sentence criticisms that may be applicable but is being read way too broadly by folks who have to fill articles full of text.

I'd bet the coach discussions went something like:
List 1000 positive attributes of Mac.
"He's not the most social guy, he prefers to work on his game"
List 1000 more positive attributes.

And in today's 24 hour news coverage world that single sentence becomes "He's hard to deal with" in order to get the clicks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regardless of whether it's true or not, the staff would

Apr 20, 2016, 9:19 AM

never throw Mack, or any Clemson player entering the draft, under the bus like that.

Re: Regardless of whether it's true or not, the staff would

Apr 20, 2016, 10:05 AM

I am with you on this one. I don't think anyone on the Clemson staff would throw one of ours under the bus. It would reflect poorly on our program. What would be the point....why would someone at Clemson try to get Mac out of the first round? The more first rounds we have, the better for recruiting.

Agree--no way the coaches throw a player under the bus***

Apr 20, 2016, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Regardless of whether it's true or not, the staff would ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Mac was a lead by example type of player.

Apr 20, 2016, 9:24 AM

He is dedicated to his craft. He put in the hard work with film study and practice time to be a great player and expected his teammates to do the same. At times, that rubbed some teammates the wrong way because not everyone was as dedicated as he was. However, I would be shocked if a Clemson coach gave negative feedback to the NFL. I just don't buy it. I enjoyed watching Mac at Clemson and wish him and the rest of the Tigers turning pro best of luck.

Good, I hope he falls to the Ravens in the early second

Apr 20, 2016, 9:39 AM

You almost have to have great confidence to the point of arrogance to be a great CB (look at Sherman and Norman). He is also a film room junkie which the NFL teams will love. I think he is a top 15 pick but of course I'm biased from being a Clemson alum and you know, actually watching him play week in and week out.

Apr 20, 2016, 9:57 AM

Hope he drops to #30. Would love to see him and Josh Norman at CB for the Panthers

Best guess here: If you look back to HT at Miami when Dabo

Apr 20, 2016, 10:10 AM

gave his "win with class" speech. I would think that the staff has asked Mack numerous times to tone down his smack talk, which he never did.

Almost all good CBs talk trash.. it's just what they do.

Apr 20, 2016, 10:32 AM

That alone is certainly not a red flag. Out and out insubordination would be a red flag if Mac repeatedly ignored Dabo's requests to tone it down, but i really saw nothing last year to suggest that was the case.

This entire thing is very vague to begin with. What does he mean by difficult to deal with? I could see Mack being a little abrasive and a bit of a loner, but that shouldn't be a red flag.

Are they suggesting he's difficult to deal with as in he doesn't listen to the staff and he's not very coachable? (Dabo always raved about all the extra work and film study Mack put in.)

Is he hard to keep out of trouble? (I never heard of him getting into any trouble.)

Some of the stuff before the Ok bowl game in 2014 plus the

Apr 20, 2016, 10:38 AM

Miami game last year and then the Oklahoma game this year, I wasn't real comfortable with.

I'm sure Dabo didn't like it, esp. after his speech during the Miami game. Of course, who knows what is said behind closed doors.

This would just be my best guess.

Could this be an effort by a team to get Mac to drop low

Apr 20, 2016, 10:33 AM

enough so they can draft him, or is that too much conspiracy stuff?

Absolutely possible.***

Apr 20, 2016, 12:14 PM

Whatever. The dude was never in trouble.

Apr 20, 2016, 10:55 AM

In the end he does his job and does it well. He also never gets in trouble off of the field. He has a big ego? So what! Deion Sanders was pretty humble with no ego....yep.

I find it hard-to-believe that any Clemson coaches were

Apr 20, 2016, 11:39 AM

bad mouthing Mac to any NFL folks...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I find it hard-to-believe that any Clemson coaches were

Apr 20, 2016, 12:08 PM

I don't believe it , period .
Anyone here a twin ? That aspect of it should be discussed . All your life a twin and then time for college and y'all have to separate? Could have caused him to withdraw a little , to seek his solace in sharpening of his skills and becoming focused on the job rather than the fun and distractions.
Just a thought .

DB23

Apr 20, 2016, 12:15 PM

I know his on-field persona & trash talking may be off-putting to some, but I never even heard a small hint that he was a problem away from the game. I think this is probably just a little bit of rumbling before the draft.

Apr 20, 2016, 12:15 PM

Believe me...NFL teams won't give a d@mn if Mack isn't there to make friends if he straight lockdown in his position. I understand having character but winning is everything and this kid is a winner. This is why I hate draft analysts with their stupid and inaccurate mock drafts and personal thoughts on certain players.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Do Remember The Qualifications For Internet Journalists

Apr 20, 2016, 12:39 PM

Nowadays is Very Low.....Heather Dinich is The Poster Child For Producing Tripe and Garbage That is Unfounded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

website is associated with Fox, so it's just tabloid BS***

Apr 20, 2016, 2:42 PM

Re: website is associated with Fox, so it's just tabloid BS***

Apr 20, 2016, 2:45 PM

yea Fox has nothing on CNN and MSNBC /s

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Apr 20, 2016, 3:05 PM

Tempest in a teapot. They're drafting warriors not therapists (re: see Richard Sherman)

Mack goes in 1st round...count on it.

Take this

Apr 20, 2016, 3:06 PM

with a grade of slaw

Plain and simple....I don't believe it!***********

Apr 20, 2016, 4:06 PM

I know some coaches didn't like Mac.

Apr 20, 2016, 4:09 PM

I'd bet the UNC, Louisville, ND and Oklahoma coaches didn't like him the most.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic