Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does this mean the ACC can scrap divisions now?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Does this mean the ACC can scrap divisions now?

Aug 7, 2014, 1:35 PM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESecPimpiN starts the SEC Network and then they vote this in

Aug 7, 2014, 1:38 PM

Convenient timing, eh?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And so it begins. Realignment was child's play to what is

Aug 7, 2014, 1:40 PM

coming. I am glad we have some strong leadership at Clemson because this changes the game.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah shit's about to go down

Aug 7, 2014, 1:43 PM

Hope it doesn't destroy college football in the process.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And so it begin. Realignment was child's play to what is

Aug 7, 2014, 1:45 PM [ in reply to And so it begins. Realignment was child's play to what is ]

Hopefully it doesn't get way out of control.

When reached for comment, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive

Aug 7, 2014, 1:42 PM

replied:

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When reached for comment, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive

Aug 7, 2014, 1:46 PM

This is from the real Thunderdome. Master Blaster says Hi!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two men enter...one man leaves!!!***

Aug 7, 2014, 1:47 PM

Personally liked the imagery of Slive as a Hogwarts prof

Aug 7, 2014, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: When reached for comment, SEC Commissioner Mike Slive ]

better but yes, you are correct.

You know you might want show cowboys getting ready to

Aug 7, 2014, 1:54 PM

have a shootout because college football has just became the Wild, Wild West.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Get ready for that call, IPTAY donors.

Aug 7, 2014, 1:44 PM

Time to give till it hurts.

I can feel my passion for college sports slipping away.***

Aug 7, 2014, 1:46 PM

null

I think this is a good thing.***

Aug 7, 2014, 1:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be right. But can Clemson compete with the

Aug 7, 2014, 1:48 PM

money sharks out there especially when they start paying player packages, etc. Only time will tell.

Re: You may be right. But can Clemson compete with the

Aug 7, 2014, 1:54 PM

The way I read this is the legislation can be proposed by the big 5 but if passed by the 80 member committee it is universal throughout the big 5.

So, like, does this mean the ACC can say that a touchdown is

Aug 7, 2014, 1:48 PM

now 14 points in the ACC?

;)

Re: Does this mean the ACC can scrap divisions now?

Aug 7, 2014, 2:19 PM

“Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play”.

Given that the current rules state that you have to have divisions in order to have a championship game, I’m thinking this vote has no effect on whether conferences can scrap divisions all together because wouldn’t that fall under the “postseason tournament” umbrella?

In general-- I don't think college athletes should be paid

Aug 7, 2014, 4:37 PM

anything more than scholarship, room and board. That said, all of the Big 5 members will have the $ to handle whatever ends up being passed as a stipend for the major sports. (See the clause about # of members/conferences to pass a rule). However, you will see some schoools start to trim their men's non-revenue sports over time.(Women's will be off the table due to Title IX). That will be where the damage is done in Big 5 conferences. Also, it will inevitably lead to more discipline problems putting the $ in the players hands as most won't be responsible with it.

Re: So, if by committee

Aug 7, 2014, 4:57 PM

it was decided that, by four of the five conferences, all monies would be pooled and redistributed equally so everyone has a level playing field with all this stipend talk...? Just having a brain fart I guess.
Would be fun to watch the SEC stwirm with that!

Aug 7, 2014, 6:33 PM

No divisions is a potential outcome for the ACC, at least. I don't see the Big Ten, Pac 12, or SEC making a significant change in alignment.

There are potential positive and negative outcomes of scraping divisions. Doing away with them removes something for teams to play for. If you are FSU, a divisional title is nice and a big accomplishment but ultimately it's about conference titles and putting yourself in position to contend for national titles. But a division title is a big deal and a big goal for most programs, especially in the age of larger conferences. Having the divisional race adds to the regular season. Divisions add consistency for programs and fans, as well.

The difficulty for the ACC is that the current divisions are terrible and there aren't any good alternatives. So the ACC has to decide whether to do away with them or keep an unnatural alignment.

Aug 7, 2014, 7:25 PM

Animal, I get what you're saying but I think getting into the conference championship game is what teams are playing for, and not necessarily a division title. Getting to CG would be an equally big deal and participants would receive a trophy---the winner the conference championship trophy and the loser a runner-up trophy.

The concept that the two teams with the best conference records playing in the conf championship game is much more appealing than what we have now..Imagine Clemson and FSU in a rematch last year compared to the FSU vs Duke snorefest we had. And the debacle like we had a couple years ago with GT playing in the championship game despite a losing record would never happen again.

Agree 100% with your post. Also with Louisville entering

Aug 7, 2014, 8:16 PM

our division I could see the possibility of the best 3 or at least best 3 of 4 teams being in the same division. Forget north/south etc., just balance the divisions.

Re: Agree 100% with your post. Also with Louisville entering

Aug 7, 2014, 9:24 PM

The best option I've seen proposed is no divisions and each team playing three permanent rivals and two groups of five teams on a semi-annual basis. The two teams with the best conf records would then meet in the conf championship game.

We would play FSU, NC St and GT every year and Miami, UNC, BC, Wake & UVA every other year as well as VT, Louisville, Pitt, Cuse & Duke.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic