Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
PPP Question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

PPP Question

Mar 30, 2021, 11:49 AM

Help me understand

Companies that received PPP money used it to float employees based on a forgivable loan

If they checked all of the boxes then they didn’t have to pay the govt the money back

Is the employee on the hook for anything to their employer?

For example, an hourly working who was given 6 weeks of payroll protection. That employee is not required to work 6 weeks “free” to ale up for their “advance”

Am I missing something?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pave Patthews Pand?***

Mar 30, 2021, 11:52 AM

Are they touring?***

Mar 30, 2021, 11:56 AM

if they were

Mar 30, 2021, 1:33 PM

they would either be online or playing infront of pods

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Ummm no?

Mar 30, 2021, 11:55 AM

Money was used for 8-24 weeks of payroll. In order to be forgiven you had to prove you paid people.

So I’m not crazy in thinking that

Mar 30, 2021, 12:03 PM

Employer owes Uncle Sam and employee goes about life not owing anything?

No. Employer should have the loan forgiven. Employee got

Mar 30, 2021, 12:11 PM

paid to work. Uncle Sugar just handing out stacks.

So my friend last received a normal check

Mar 30, 2021, 12:36 PM

In March

Received PPP money twice

Now my friend is being told that she’s not owed hourly pay until after the amount of hours worked equals the money she was given last year

Yeah that's some crapola

Mar 30, 2021, 12:38 PM

I guess it depends on the labor laws of the state but geez.

We paid our non salary employees for doin nothing for months.

No, that is specifically forbidden under PPP....

Mar 30, 2021, 1:36 PM

Employers were not allowed to "bank hours" for hourly W-2 employees. We stayed open the entire time, so we didn't have to face that issue, but I did have our lawyer and lender weigh in on that issue as we were taking the PPP loan just in case our situation changed. Now, I think you could pay ahead a bit for salaried employees. I seem to remember that we were going to roll our 2-week payroll ahead for the lower-tiered salary employees to get all of the PPP expenses covered with a bit of room to spare.

As you said, the amount forgiven was based on your payroll costs during a period (which was extended) in addition to some other costs like utilities, health insurance premiums, rent/lease costs, etc...I think 80% of it had to be direct payroll costs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have PTSD from that time period, memory is foggy.

Mar 30, 2021, 1:44 PM

You could use and 8 week or 24 week time period for expenses. Insurance, rent/mortgage, utilities could all be included and the 80 percent threshold sounds right.

That's done and forgiven now so I can't remember the details as I was simultaneously saving the company, teaching 3rd grade and Kindergarten and drinking a bottle of wine a day.

Sounds fun :)...yeah, we took a...

Mar 30, 2021, 1:49 PM

$1.89MM PP loan and I'm really glad we didn't take over $2MM. The >$2MM loans auto-triggered an audit. I know we were on the up and up, but a federal audit is always intimidating. We actually could have gotten a bit over $2MM but our bank advised not to try to revise our application as our loan got funded on the very last day before funds ran out in round 1.

We still don't have the formal forgiveness letter, but bank says not to worry and our auditors allowed us to count it as revenue and not record a liability for it in 2020 books.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McLovin gets to provide a proposal walk through

Mar 30, 2021, 1:55 PM

to Defense Contract Audit Agency tomorrow.

Dis how excited I am.

This is exactly why I chose to be a warlord.

Mar 30, 2021, 12:40 PM [ in reply to So my friend last received a normal check ]

So I would not have to adhere to the rules of a government. Or civilized society in general.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Employer is either stupid or trying to take advantage of

Mar 30, 2021, 7:14 PM [ in reply to So my friend last received a normal check ]

stupid employees.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No employer doesn't owe Uncle Sam anything if they

Mar 30, 2021, 12:37 PM [ in reply to So I’m not crazy in thinking that ]

were forgiven

Depends

Mar 30, 2021, 12:04 PM

If you really needed the money to stay in business then if you got any at all it has to be paid back in full with 150% interest.

If you got millions and promptly fired everyone except your mistress and golf buddy you get to keep it free and clear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

No need to worry about the employees.

Mar 30, 2021, 12:47 PM

Those fake loans only made it to the company and their owners or board. The employees were screwed months before this miracle scam showed up. They’d long been enjoying the extra $600 of unemployment insurance. They will be shocked to find that they owe taxes on the extra PPP payments. Hope the government doesn’t find out all the real common thieves. Though you don’t have to look real hard these days.

Eh, something ain't right here.

Mar 30, 2021, 1:04 PM

Unless there is some kind of different arrangement other than a typical w-2 relationship.

Employer pays employee. End of that story. The source of the funds is irrelevant. Pay them out of profit, take out a loan, pay them from the owner's pocket, pay using gumment money....don't matter. There is zero reason an employee would "owe" the employer anything, let alone free labor.

Now, if payment was couched as an advance on future work to a 1099 type, that's the only way I could think that would fly.

To add, I'd think any "advance pay" type arrangement

Mar 30, 2021, 1:11 PM

would have had to be done in writing as well.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic