Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rating the Superdome
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Rating the Superdome

Jan 3, 2018, 10:50 AM

It was my 1st time going to the Mercedes-Benz dome, and I’ll be honest, I wasn’t impressed. Why are there no TVs in the concourse areas while you’re at the concession stands or bathroom? I’m 6’5, and the leg room was awful. I admit too that I probably would’ve enjoyed it more had we won, but I honestly was expecting more bells and whistles for an indoor venue.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You realize that place was built about 3 y are after Christ was born?

Jan 3, 2018, 11:05 AM

Dudes were shorter then.

Re: You realize that place was built about 3 y are after Christ was born?

Jan 4, 2018, 12:01 AM

And didn't watch a lot of TV

CLUB SEATS weren’t really club

Jan 3, 2018, 11:08 AM

Paid $100 more for Clubs and there was no true private Club area/lounge access. We got in Dome early to watch second half of Uga/OU game but they had the Club area blocked off for some private party. To make matters worse, no TV in the concourse played the Uga game or would play our game in progress. Either the Sugar Bowl or the Clemson ticket office should have been more forthcoming to ppl who paid for Club seats.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL I was in the very top row

Jan 3, 2018, 11:11 AM

But right on the 50 and directly in front of the press box. There were TVs mounted on either side of me where I could see the end of the Rose Bowl. Maybe cheap seats aren’t so bad...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL I was in the very top row

Jan 3, 2018, 11:51 AM

I was on row 36 too. Could watch rose bowl. Interesting hearing the announcements to the press corp.

Re: Rating the Superdome

Jan 3, 2018, 11:09 AM

Sorry to hear your displeasure with the dome. It's not the nicest venue...I've been to many games the panthers have played there but I always liked it. The amenities are lacking but something about playing in a climate controlled building that I like

Great location and surroundings

Jan 3, 2018, 11:13 AM

But yeah the facility itself feels a bit like a trip into the 70s.

The upper level is the steepest place I have ever sat. I've

Jan 3, 2018, 11:20 AM

been to 6 pro stadiums now and this one may be the worst.

Jan 3, 2018, 11:21 AM

About what I expected. Old. Narrow hallways. Dirty. Old electronic boards. Did I say old?

Message was edited by: baker5801®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2018, 11:37 AM

Yeah, pretty much a reflection of the city itself.

Jan 3, 2018, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Rating the Superdome ]

Dirty old electronic boards. The pictures from those boards are spectacular.

Jan 3, 2018, 1:15 PM

Boards were too wide and not tall enough. Would cause the image to be truncated. Also, a number of seats had no view of the boards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Def. a bit of a dump and the Club seats were a ripoff.

Jan 3, 2018, 11:22 AM

Not sure what was Club about them. $100 more - maybe a better view but don't really think so.

i'm a saints fan, but the dome is terrible.***

Jan 3, 2018, 11:23 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Jan 3, 2018, 11:35 AM

Maybe it's just my OCD but the missing material in the ceiling bothers me.

But yeah it's an old classic dome.

It gave the ceiling a Death Star vibe.***

Jan 3, 2018, 1:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 3, 2018, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Rating the Superdome ]

The missing material was from the Bama punter kicking balls through the roof.

Jan 3, 2018, 11:41 AM

I'll agree that there could be some simple upgrades, but I'm the type that is pretty much there just for the game. I don't know if the leg room varied, but I am 6'3" and in the "plaza" section I didn't find it a problem. I actually thought that I had more room than in Glendale but I was in the upper deck there. Maybe I was just more comfortable to be inside and out of the cold.

Flat lower level seating

Jan 3, 2018, 11:43 AM

We were on the last row of the lower level, right on the 50. The "flatness" of the seating bowl meant that if someone stood up 10 rows in front of you, you had to stand up to see over them. Plus, we were under the overhang for the section above, so we couldn't even see the video screens at each end of the stadium... the overhead TV screens made you crane your neck so much that they weren't worth it. Overall, a less than satisfactory experience.

However, the ACC could really take a lesson on how to handle getting people in and out of the stadium before the next ACCCG at BofA Stadium in Charlotte. Just maybe they should let the Panthers' Security team handle it instead of bringing in their own... not to mention only opening half the entry gates. I think it took us about 2 minutes to get into the Dome, and the same to get out. They did a nice job of crowd management.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree - BofA security should take some notes

Jan 3, 2018, 12:14 PM

Much better entry - more gates, faster people and one line for security and immediate ticket scanning vs the 2 lines you end up with at BofA

All the good seats were....

Jan 4, 2018, 1:53 AM

stolen during Katrina. Replaced by crappy ones .

Well...it opened in 1975...

Jan 3, 2018, 12:22 PM

so it wasn't built with leg room to accommodate folks of today's stature.

My seats were good but I do agree it was a little cramped.

The biggest issue was waiting outside in the freezing cold to get in. The lines to access the entrances were long and slow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Well...it opened in 1975...

Jan 4, 2018, 12:13 AM

"so it wasn't built with leg room to accommodate folks of today's stature"

Yeah, I bet the average height of males has increased at least a quarter of an inch in the past 42 years!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guessing ATL builds new indoor stadium before NOLA does ....

Jan 3, 2018, 12:28 PM

and I am talking about replacing the one that just opened this year.

Jan 3, 2018, 12:42 PM

Went to Fiesta last year. UPS and Phoenix much better venue for a CFP game with the warmer weather. NOLA was very cold and more oriented toward adults, not families. Superdome/Sugar Bowl lacked energy when first walking in. Drab old dome with no buzz in the air for a CFP game. Choice of food at the concessions sucked and there were long lines for both bathrooms in addition to not being able to see the end of the Rose Bowl on TV. Sort of felt like the bowl workers were simply going through the motions.

Doubt I will be back to NOLA if Clemson goes again anytime soon. 1 and 4 should have gotten the Rose. Went to the WWII museum yesterday - that was awesome. I had gone before when it first opened. The Tom Hanks 4D movie is definitely worth the $5. Saw a lot of football fans at the museum that decided to stick around an extra day. Go Tigers.

Jan 3, 2018, 12:56 PM

Remember that Dabo got to pick the venue. No one in their right mind picks the sugar Bowl over the Rose. No one their right mind picks turf over grass when grass is what you have at home and turf is what your opponent plays on. No one in your right mind choses to practice
outside for an indoor game when indoors is the site of your other loss this year.

The school--the team-the band and many fans would have had a once ever chance and he blew it. AD should never have allowed this to happen. Very selfish on the coach to relive his childhood. He has made many good choices but this was a total bomb on his part and should
apologize to everyone. And this no question favored Alabama. When you are paid 7 million you need to make better choices.

Jan 3, 2018, 1:17 PM

Your badly mistaken. Dabo did not get to pick venue. He got to pick practice site at venue. CFP committee picks teams and matchups

Coots talking about Dabo! Jealous, hurt? Go Tigers!***

Jan 3, 2018, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Rating the Superdome ]

Pros and Cons

Jan 3, 2018, 3:33 PM

Pros
- getting into the venue was easy, at least when we arrived. It was much better than ACC Championship or the National Championship in Tampa (a complete cluster). We arrived early based on our experience at other venues.
- easy to walk to from French Quarter

Cons
- old and dingy (but for some reason I did like the Star War-esque ceiling)
- concessions were horrible (were out of hot dogs 45 minutes before the game started, slow service)
- no cupholders!
- bands were tucked away under overhang - could barely hear Tiger Band in the upper deck. Plus commercials played at every break over the bands

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice on outside ONLY. On the dump side of the scale on the

Jan 3, 2018, 5:59 PM

inside. I was up in the 640's and that sucker is STEEP! The steps are certainly not at the correct height and depth for that angle. Rough walk up and down for a lot of folks. Was interesting to see troughs again in the restroom, along with the big circular maintenance-shop sink. Only thing missing was a parts washer and a lathe.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice on outside ONLY. On the dump side of the scale on the

Jan 3, 2018, 7:03 PM

I would certainly agree that the venue itself may not be as nice/up-to-date as past CFP locations we’ve played at. However, overall, my experience was better than both Phoenix/Glendale and Tampa for the last two National Championships. We really enjoyed the closed proximity of downtown NOLA to many of the sights, popular districts, nightlife, Fan Fast, and the Sugar Bowl itself. It was very convenient to get around the city. We didn’t even rent a car. In both Glendale and Tampa, the various places we needed/wanted to be were far too spread out. I would certainly attend another Clemson game at the Superdome. Hope we have a lot more opportunities to play there...including the National Championship at the end of the 2019 season!

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic