Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"DEAN" COX..one of the Greatest Clemson TIGERS ever!.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

"DEAN" COX..one of the Greatest Clemson TIGERS ever!.

Mar 1, 2015, 6:39 PM

Along with Two-time All American (in same year) Banks "Bonnie" McFadden. I truly feel that Dean COX was one of greatest & most humble Clemson men I'd ever met in my 55+ years..and I got to watch & meet him many times over my student & post-graduate days..but one time was such a humbling event that I must tell it NOW, 30 years later.

Around late November 1985 I was attending the CLEMSON-SC game at Willie Brice Stadium..and I bought a ticket outside just for myself..and it was located up high on the sidelines but looking down at about the 30 yard line..and behind me was DEAN COX..Now the 10th President of CLEMSON University from July 1985-March 1986 (interim)..sitting with regular fans, many Gamecocks.

Then, after the game started something occurred which I don't remember..but he opted to give up his seat..and sat down on the concrete steps..with fans going around him to get to concessions or to rest rooms.

I couldn't believe what I was witnessing..and he smiled the entire time. Later, he disappeared and I mentioned it to people around me..and they couldn't believe it either..that THE President of CLEMSON University would even be placed in these seats (and not in a booth or box seating)..nor less give up his seat and sit on the steps. What a Gentleman!

He is the same humble man who entered CLEMSON College in 1935 as a freshman cadet..then left Clemson to serve 1 year in WW2..and upon returning Never left Clemson..serving various jobs in the Athletic Dept (includiing asst FB coach, baseball coach & recruiter..and even helped Coach Frank Howard clear land for the new football stadium by using handsaws, chains & mules!).

In 1950 Dean Cox became public relation director..5 years later he was named VP for student affairs where he remained for 30 years as the school grew from 2,700 to 12,500 students and events such as the school transitioning from military to civilian status to admitting women and desegregation with Harvey Gantt.

His retired in April 1987 after being temporary VP for institutional advancement, but remained on as a consultant and good-will ambassador for the University.

* In 1939 he was a football player along with Banks McFadden on the squad that upset Frank Leahey's much favored Boston College Eagle team in Clemson's 1st Bowl game (Jan 1, 1940 in Dallas and the Cotton Bowl)..with a 6-3 upset just days before Coach Leahey left for Notre Dame and even more historical coaching feats with them.

* Dean Cox's name can be found on the Walter T. Cox Jr. PLAZA, dedicated in 1998, near the center of campus, as well as the Walter T. Cox Blvd in 2002, a section of SC 93 that passes through the campus.

What a TIGER for all times...WALTER T. "Dean" COX. Thank you Country Gentleman for all you personally did for little CLEMSON College so we can call it our University!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being there from 82-86, we love Mr. Cox

Mar 1, 2015, 7:37 PM

He totally oozes Clemson character and goodness.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "DEAN" COX..one of the Greatest Clemson TIGERS ever!.

Mar 1, 2015, 7:47 PM

That's is a great personal story about a Clemson legend. Here's a tidbit that's not in the Clemson archives but from my family tree since I am cousin to Dean, Mary and Annie.

Walter Thompson "Dean Cox" Cox, Jr. was an Anderson County Native from Belton,SC. whose Great Grandfather was Major George Washington Cox, Sr. whose company was joined to Orr's Regiment. George suffered a leg wound that ended his Civil War service.

Dean Cox's first wife Mary Johnson Cox was a first cousin to Frank Howard's wife Annie Tribble Howard.

Mar 1, 2015, 7:51 PM

Don't forget Dean Coakley, another good guy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lived one semester at his house***

Mar 1, 2015, 8:41 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2015, 8:00 PM

We need us a biographer to follow LLB around and take down all his stories. It would make a great book for diehard Clemson fans and a great link to the past. Keep the stories flowing LLB!

Agreed!!!***

Mar 1, 2015, 8:05 PM

Mar 1, 2015, 8:27 PM

Nothing but a CLEMSON Man.
If right and correct Dean Cox approved!
Promise Y'all, you didn't want to be around if he Disapproved.

Mar 1, 2015, 8:34 PM

Great story, Bill. Mr. Cox must have been a man of fine character. Something we could use a lot more of these days.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, Bill. Great post. I had the great fortune of knowing

Mar 1, 2015, 8:45 PM

and dealing with Dean Cox via various student organizations, and he was a repository of Clemson trivia well worth the listening.

Some years after graduation I ran into him at a function in Columbia, and he walked right over, greeted me by name and recalled some mutually-shared experiences, particularly several relating to my stint as Editor of "The Tiger." I was astounded with his recall.

He was a good man and a loyal Clemson Tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I was a student (98-02)...

Mar 1, 2015, 8:46 PM

I used to see him driving around with a license plate that said Class of 39 (or something similar) lol.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES!

Mar 1, 2015, 9:19 PM

I was lucky to know him

Bill, I think you and hartins should share more posts

Mar 1, 2015, 9:46 PM

like this. I can't imagine the Clemson history and the stories y'all could tell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Mar 1, 2015, 10:01 PM

In 1959, Dean Cox was paramount in convincing my dad that going to college meant a better future for me and our family than going to work in a cotton mill. I have a lifetime obligation to him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ThX ALL who've enjoyed the Cox story..and Yes, Hartins & I..

Mar 1, 2015, 10:21 PM

could spin some yarns (he more than me since he was in higher circles than lowly me!)..but we might be persuaded to give in and tell you some funny & interesting stuff...If you'd buy me a large bottle of Rum & some new Shag Dance shoes..and Hartins a new flashy boat to run on Lake Murray.

LOL, and GoTiGERS Everywhere..keep ROCKing & wearing that electric ORANGE the Coots hate!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2015, 10:44 PM

I had the great fortune to know Dean Cox. He was a friend of my father's and served on the Santee Cooper Board. I would go see him regularly when I was at Clemson ('86-91) at the Alumni Center. He always took time to spend with me. A true Clemson legend!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ditto to all you said Bill. Dean Cox was "Simply the Best"!

Mar 1, 2015, 10:49 PM

1965 - 1969.....during my years and afterwards, he was great.

And, Dean Cox had son who played FB & later Judge nearby...

Mar 2, 2015, 9:29 AM

He was dynamite during practices, and it's said that due to his shortness & tenacity that he'd bite the leg of the opposing team's runner (or anybody from the other side) during pileups. Like his Dad, Jr. was a fighter & total Clemson Man!

GoTiGERS..keep ROCKing!

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic