Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Could Roscoe have been as good as Sammy?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Could Roscoe have been as good as Sammy?

Nov 6, 2013, 10:00 PM

.?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

absolutely***

Nov 6, 2013, 10:01 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I'm a youngin so what exactly happened with Roscoe?

Nov 6, 2013, 10:11 PM

I know who he is just not his story...

he was a freak athlete....

Nov 6, 2013, 10:12 PM

and if he would have panned out, we would be asking "is Sammy as good as Roscoe"

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

so was he just a bust or did he get hurt or what?***

Nov 6, 2013, 10:34 PM

too many voices in his head... had some injuries

Nov 6, 2013, 10:40 PM

experienced some tragedy

He was like Martin .... soft!***

Nov 7, 2013, 3:30 AM

You are such a d-bag

Nov 8, 2013, 6:58 AM

But you've been told this before.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

link:

Nov 6, 2013, 10:47 PM [ in reply to so was he just a bust or did he get hurt or what?*** ]

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20111102/ARTICLES/111109933/1088/PSPORTS

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

thanks to both of y'all

Nov 6, 2013, 10:49 PM

I never knew but how unfortunate for him, glad to see he's living better and being a positive influence for kids.

Re: link:

Nov 7, 2013, 8:06 AM [ in reply to link: ]

He was a great athlete who never seemed to find the influence he needed to really escape his past and grasp onto a great future. Great news is that now he seems to have what he needs in his life to give him satisfaction and happiness. Helping kids make better lives for themselves and for their futures is a good ending for this story, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm a youngin so what exactly happened with Roscoe?

Nov 7, 2013, 7:20 AM [ in reply to I'm a youngin so what exactly happened with Roscoe? ]

He was just one of those 5***** that didn't pan out, end of story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roscoe

Nov 6, 2013, 10:21 PM

I watched him at my high school in football and I played American Legion baseball against him and he is the best athlete I have ever seen in person. Had a cannon arm and hit a ball off my buddy in Union that may still be in orbit. Too bad things didn't work out for him.

Re: Roscoe

Nov 6, 2013, 10:25 PM

Crosby was probably the most hyped WR that Clemson has ever recruited. (that I can think of)

He didn't have the luxury of the coaching staff (or team depth) that Clemson has now.

I saw him hit a baseball over the center field flag pole

Nov 6, 2013, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Roscoe ]

in Gaffney when he was a sophomore

Re: Roscoe

Nov 7, 2013, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Roscoe ]

It all finally worked out for Roscoe, just not as a player. He works with kids now, and that has to be a good thing.

Re: Could Roscoe have been as good as Sammy?

Nov 6, 2013, 10:51 PM

I know he had even more hype than Sammy, but I was never all that impressed at his play in the game. I don't think his game speed was near what Sammy has. I know Roscoe was a great athlete, baseball player, etc. BUT Sammy will be remembered as one of the best players to EVER take the field in Death Valley. He is just as impactful at his position as
clowney is at his.

Nov 7, 2013, 7:37 AM

IMO, M O R E ! ! !

No. Roscoe was good, Sammy is great.

Nov 6, 2013, 11:18 PM

Roscoe was taller and a better jumper, but Sammy is more physical and explosive. Plus, Sammy got to play under CM. Even if Roscoe would've played 3-4 full years, the coaches from 2001-2004 were terrible.

Roscoe was an explosive of a player that I've ever seen

Nov 6, 2013, 11:23 PM

and that includes Sammy...

Would he have been better? Hard to say b/c of the circumstances...

But he had the capability to make us ask "Is Sammy as good as Roscoe".

freak athlete

are you sure you don't have a little nostalgia

Nov 6, 2013, 11:52 PM

working here?

Nope...

Nov 6, 2013, 11:56 PM

Roscoe was explosive... Sammy may be faster, but it wouldn't be by much

Maybe. Roscoe was a little bigger, but physically similar to

Nov 6, 2013, 11:24 PM

Sammy. Maybe not quite as explosive as Sammy, but still elite speed. When he was in high school, he was a man among boys; as soon as he stepped on the field at Clemson, it was obvious he was a superior athlete, and much like Sammy was ready for big time, D1 football from the get-go. I think the thing in Sammy's favor is his tremendous work ethic and mental focus. In today's game, with that kind of focus, I have no doubt whatsoever that Roscoe would be a star on par with Sammy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

plus... Sammy wasn't capable of being a top 5 pick in the

Nov 6, 2013, 11:30 PM

MLB draft...

Roscoe was, the only reason he wasn't a top 5 pick was his desire to play football

Roscoe was a natural freak of an athlete, whose ability

Nov 6, 2013, 11:42 PM

to play at an elite level in more than one sport ultimately worked against him (among other things). Sammy is a freak of an athlete as well, whose focus on one sport is probably a big reason for his success.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

agreed***

Nov 6, 2013, 11:47 PM

What hurt Roscoe was he was a head case!***

Nov 7, 2013, 3:33 AM [ in reply to Roscoe was a natural freak of an athlete, whose ability ]

Roscoe would have fared much better....

Nov 7, 2013, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Roscoe was a natural freak of an athlete, whose ability ]

had he elected to focus on just one sport (either football or baseball). He would have excelled at either IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Roscoe was the man***

Nov 7, 2013, 7:02 AM [ in reply to Maybe. Roscoe was a little bigger, but physically similar to ]

Roscoe is one of the biggest....

Nov 6, 2013, 11:29 PM

"what ifs" in CU history. He might have well been a beast. Sad story.....

Re: Roscoe is one of the biggest....

Nov 7, 2013, 7:53 AM

Exactly! What was the other receiver recruited with Roscoe. I think he was a little taller than Roscoe, and he became a go to receiver for us, and he was pretty good. My OLD Timers is kicking in, I can't think of that kids name. What was his name?

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Roscoe

Nov 7, 2013, 2:39 AM

Was a better raw athlete, Sammy is explosive and a little more refined. I remember sitting in the bleachers with George Brett, he'd come to scout Roscoe and I swear kid hit what amounts to a single for most, double with elite speed. Stand up triple for roscoe.

Derrick Hamilton

Nov 7, 2013, 6:08 AM

If we are making comparisons I'd think the it should be between Derrick Hamilton and Sammy . Really wished Derrick had stayed for his last year...it probably would have improved his draft status and Pro career .

Saw Roscoe get triple teamed on a 2pt. Conv. And

Nov 7, 2013, 6:34 AM

Still caught it....vs till caught it, vs Gaffney!!....never forget that play!!

Close but not quite. Sammy's first step and top end speed

Nov 7, 2013, 6:44 AM

are better and I think he plucks the ball from the air like nobody we've ever had except Nuk Hopkins. Speaking of, I think Roscoe and Nuk were more similar in comparison than roscoe/ Sammy.

Not in Bowden's offense.***

Nov 7, 2013, 7:21 AM

Re: Not in Bowden's offense.***

Nov 7, 2013, 7:44 AM

Don't you mean in the smoke screen Spence offense. Or Bubble Spence offense.

Re: Not in Bowden's offense.***

Nov 7, 2013, 8:06 AM
rosco.jpg(15.8 K)

No way Sammy is faster than this guy!

Nov 7, 2013, 10:34 AM

Roscoe Crosby is on the cover of this month's South Carolina Living Magazine, a publication produced by the state's electric cooperatives. For those of you wondering, here's what he's up to today:

http://scliving.coop/sc-life/sc-life-features/the-legend-of-roscoe-crosby:-part-two/

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic