Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cornell Powell to safety?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Cornell Powell to safety?

Apr 10, 2018, 12:56 PM

Apparently Powell was playing safety some in the scrimmage yesterday...and moreso was doing extremely well with it.

That's a fascinating thought. We're really short at safety, and CP is a good receiver but he got passed by Amari Rodgers this past year and is now a true junior. Physically he looks more like a defender: you look at the dude and he's built like a tank. As a WR, what you really like out of Powell on film is his suddenness into his breaks - which could translate also to "breaking on the ball". And he has great hands...which doesn't hurt you on either side.

You wonder if he's one of those, like a Ray Ray McCloud, that could make it to the NFL as a WR in the later rounds...but maybe could elevate himself a good bit by playing on the other side of the ball.

I don't think Powell sees the ball much as a 2 this year. Amari Rodgers looked like a guy who was at least as good as an Artavis Scott, and that's going to attract the ball, a lot. Trevion Thompson has been pushing for time, everywhere, and he's going to soak up some snaps at the 2 and the 5 for sure. And Derion Kendrick has been inspiring Sammy Watkins comparisons. Whereas we have a big HELP WANTED sign out at the safety spot, and Powell looks like a guy who could make a big mark there.

Be curious how this one plays out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cornell Powell to safety?

Apr 10, 2018, 1:04 PM

I believe Rogers is gonna be a star this year, a bigger, stronger version of A. Scott. It's a good move by the staff imo to give Powell a chance to help the team with the limited snaps he's likely to get on the offensive side of the ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting

Apr 10, 2018, 1:04 PM

I've always wanted to see Powell with the ball in his hands mainly because of his physicality but you're right that he does seem to be stuck in the depth chart.

His body comp does make him look like a safety. I would imagine this comes down to how he sees the situation.

I see lot of INT's for him if he ever starts.*****

Apr 10, 2018, 1:08 PM

Apr 10, 2018, 1:12 PM

This is a tough one. He has tremendous ball skills and I think he can be a great receiver, but I certainly do not doubt he could be pretty special at Safety too. This frees up Isaiah Simmons to grow into DOD's spot and could give us great depth on the back half. We still need some immediate help at corner, but it sounds like a solid consideration to me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2018, 1:16 PM

Sounds like a good idea , being that the defensive backfield is where we have a need .

One would think that Powell would accept the change as long as he gets good playing time instead of riding the bench .

Apr 10, 2018, 2:43 PM

This just sounds weird to me. It was just 2 short years ago when he was making waves as a freshmen at receiver making plays and the coaches raving over him. Obviously he took a step back or others caught and passed him but it sounds weird moving him to safety. Not that I care because whatever will help the team its just I would have never guessed it even if you told me a receiver was moving to safety. His name would have been one of the last I would have guessed.

Apr 10, 2018, 2:45 PM

Should have stated this in the above post but I don't think it will happen and if it were to I wouldn't expect to see him this year. The 2 new guys coming in the summer would have a better opportunity to play than Powell changing to safety and playing this coming year. We'll see.

Apr 10, 2018, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Cornell Powell to safety? ]

Number 1 - don't necessarily believe post-practice reports as many times they are used for motivational purposes for the players that are mentioned and the players that aren't mentioned.

Number 2 - The two new DBs coming in this summer want to be cornerbacks and will get their shots there unless there is an absolute emergency.

Safety is difficult to play and screw ups generally mean TDs.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 10, 2018, 3:43 PM

T. J. Green made the switch as a Sophomore and went pro two years later. I could see Cornell doing the same as a Junior.

Message was edited by: reynolds®

Apr 10, 2018, 2:47 PM

I've always liked the receiver to DB jump and I think this is a good one, I like Rodgers more and think he's actually much more physically developed and mature than Scott ever was. I think he has every tool to be Scott but better, therefore I like CP at safety much more.

kind of feel bad for him if that happens...

Apr 10, 2018, 3:05 PM

Dude was a legit WR coming out of high school... Didn’t get many balls thrown his way last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shows what I know, I figured TJ Chase

Apr 10, 2018, 5:04 PM

might have been the one to make. However, if Powell is gonna move, this would be the time to do it,give him 2 years to play at that pos.

Apr 10, 2018, 7:55 PM

Someone’s been reading TI.

I do think he has a better chance to play there though than at wr. Just never blossomed at receiver

Apr 10, 2018, 7:55 PM

Someone’s been reading TI.

I do think he has a better chance to play there though than at wr. Just never blossomed at receiver

He was only a sophomore last year with Bryant as QB.

Apr 10, 2018, 8:11 PM

He could still be awesome as a wr.

Apr 10, 2018, 8:04 PM

I’ve been surprised he isn’t playing linebacker since the beginning of spring practice. Dude makes Shaq Smith look like his gym membership got revoked.

Apr 10, 2018, 8:17 PM

Who's standing in the pink shorts? Overton?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 10, 2018, 8:29 PM

Yessir. KB, Shaq, Cornell, & Isaiah in front.

That's cool and all but

Apr 10, 2018, 8:32 PM

But I wish people (not you specifically) would quit comparing people to past players...first it was Deon Cain that was the next Sammy Watkins, then it was Feaster who was the next Spiller, now it's Trevor Lawrence who's the next Watson. DK may be an incredible player but I'm not buying the Watkins comparisons...not till I see him game time.

i posted this idea last wk

Apr 10, 2018, 8:51 PM

diondre overton is next

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic