Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Condi Rice for commissioner.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Condi Rice for commissioner.

Jun 26, 2020, 8:36 AM

Somebody threw out that name on this board yesterday. My initial reaction was there is no way she would be interested in the job.

Then I thought about it.

She loves golf. She's a member of Augusta National. Augusta is about a 30 minute plane ride from Greensboro. Pinehurst is about an hour drive. So, maybe she would be interested.

(Note, the above was written in jest. I don't think she would even be remotely interested. But, if she is hired, I want lots of love and accolades from this board for my tremendous insight into the situation.)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YES..like the Woman!

Jun 26, 2020, 8:42 AM

You’re right, since she’s dreamed of being the NFL Commissioner for many many years..

but that’s not likely happening, so ACC job is a great substitution.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The league needs to hire a search firm.

Jun 26, 2020, 8:55 AM

instead of looking internally or trying to do this themselves.

Conference bylaws require that a commissioner be approved by at least three-quarters of the presidents. With 15 schools, the 75% threshold is 12.

Absolutely NO ONE who worked under Swofford should be even remotely considered.

Some possible candidates with no real ties to the ACC as reported by other media outlets are:

Bernard Muir
Stanford’s athletics director since 2012, Muir also served as AD at Delaware and Georgetown. He worked previously at Notre Dame, Butler, Auburn and the NCAA — his boss at Notre Dame was current Duke AD Kevin White. Muir, 51, chaired the NCAA men’s basketball committee in 2018-19 and played the sport at Brown.

Chris Howard
Howard, 51, became Robert Morris’ president in 2016 after serving in the same role at Hampden-Sydney. He played linebacker at Air Force and received the Campbell Trophy as college football’s top scholar-athlete. He was a Rhodes Scholar, earned his doctorate in politics at Oxford and MBA at Harvard. A former fighter pilot, he sits on the College Football Playoff selection committee.

Amy Huchthausen
Completing her ninth year as America East commissioner, Huchthausen worked previously at the NCAA, ACC, Big East and Missouri Valley conferences. She was director of academic and membership affairs at the NCAA before landing the America East job at age 34. A native of South Korea, Huchthausen played softball at Wis.-La Crosse and earned an MBA from MIT.

Jon Steinbrecher
The Mid-American Conference is Steinbrecher’s third commissioner role and follows stints at the Ohio Valley Conference and Mid-Continent Conference, the latter since renamed the Summit League. Chairman of the NCAA’s working group on transfer issues, he graduated from Valparaiso in 1983 and earned a doctorate from Indiana in physical education/sports administration.

Oliver Luck
A quarterback at West Virginia and for the NFL’s Houston Oilers, Luck, 60, has worked in executive roles with NFL Europe, Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo, the NCAA and, most recently, the XFL, a football start-up doomed by the COVID-19 pandemic. He was WVU’s athletics director from 2010 to ’14 and shepherded the Mountaineers from the Big East to Big 12. He has a law degree from Texas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Condi Rice for commissioner.

Jun 26, 2020, 8:59 AM

Why not Steve Fuller or Jeff Davis?

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Condi Rice for commissioner- I suspect we will get

Jun 26, 2020, 9:03 AM

whatever candidate the Duke Pres can boss around. Just like Swofford

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Condi Rice for commissioner- I suspect we will get

Jun 27, 2020, 4:39 PM

Clemson may be in a stronger position of strength because of our recent success in football basically carrying the ACC to keep a Duke, NC crony from following in swoffie’s footsteps. The ACC needs A real commissioner with vision and new business ideas.

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point!***

Jun 26, 2020, 11:13 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pinehurst is a bit farther than an hour from Greensboro

Jun 26, 2020, 11:17 AM

but it's an easy drive

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pinehurst is a bit farther than an hour from Greensboro

Jun 26, 2020, 11:20 PM

I have no idea. I mapquested it. Said 74 minutes. I just rounded down.

But, clearly, she could hop on a private Gulfstream, fly to Augusta, get in 18 holes and be back at her office by late afternoon. Same if she drove to Pinehurst.

Now, with my fondness for golf, if the ACC offered me a sweet deal and included one round of golf a week at either Pinehurst or Augusta National in the package they might be able to talk me out of retirement. :)

Re: Pinehurst is a bit farther than an hour from Greensboro

Jun 27, 2020, 1:30 AM

Bret, you must have a high regard for golf, but members of Augusta National do not fly in, enjoy 18 holes, and fly home, with the expectation of returning to work the same day.

No, suh. Members are expected to share in the camaraderie of brotherhood and enjoy at least a few benefits of membership before they return to the real world.

Her replacing Dooshie would be like going from Ripple to

Jun 26, 2020, 11:36 AM

Mouton-Rothschild 1945. ($310,000 a bottle)

No sir! But only because I want her to be Prez of the USofA.***

Jun 26, 2020, 11:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2020, 12:38 PM

There are jobs she is highly qualified for. What makes her qualified to be ACC commissioner?

Jun 26, 2020, 10:12 PM

And your point is? Swofford is qualified for the job. Not really!!

There are jobs she is highly qualified for. What makes her qualified to be ACC commissioner?

Jun 26, 2020, 9:00 PM

Bingo you nailed it. She’s not qualified to be ACC Commissioner and she never should have been on the Playoff Committee!

Jun 27, 2020, 12:05 AM

I don't know about commissioner, but she was very qualified to be on the selection committee. I spoke to her several times about her committee assignment and she indeed took it very seriously and was just as qualified as half of the others there.

Not So Fast

Jun 27, 2020, 4:14 PM

my friend. Dr. Rice is a HUGE football fan and has stated that her dream job is commissioner of the NFL.

Jun 27, 2020, 4:28 PM

I have great respect for Condi Rice. And I have no doubts she would bring integrity and character to position. But my opinion is that I would like to see a person with many of the characteristics I have found in Dabo and D-Rad. And some one who is in the 40’s with a lot of energy and new ideas. Someone who understands where to invest revenues to grow the strength of the conference. Dabo would be a great commissioner but we need him as Clemson’s HC. He has so much more to accomplish with the football program.

I definitely do not want anyone from the NC schools or someone from NC.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic