Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for all Dabo supporters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Question for all Dabo supporters

Nov 17, 2013, 9:10 AM

I will be the first to tell you I was less than impressed with TDP with the Dabo hire and HC. Now my perspective has obviously changed but here is my question. How many people will still be pleased with the same results as last year. A loss to FSU, no ACCCG, if we lose to USuCk, and then win the chicken bowl in atl. I understand 11 win seasons are great, as was last year, but where do you draw the line. Are you still ok with this or at this time do you expect more. Sorry so long.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

Re: Question for all Dabo supporters

Nov 17, 2013, 9:15 AM

Your implication in your question is that a 10-2 season may not be good enough at Clemson.

This is where the anti-Dabo crowd loses me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

10-2 with no conference title and a loss to the ##### every

Nov 17, 2013, 1:05 PM

year?

That would be fine indefinitely?

#### that ####.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thankfully the powers that be realize there is more than

Nov 17, 2013, 1:46 PM

UCS. Stupid to think that the season is a disaster if we went 11-1 and lost to coots. Some of you would be fine if we were 1-11 just so that victory was over the coots. Got a feeling that some of you are tired of hearing the garbage from the coot fans that you gave to them with all our victories. Sorta reap what you sow.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2013, 9:16 AM

This is real simple. You don't fire a coach who has his team in the polls every week for the first time in decades. Who recruits better than anyone previous. Clemson would be a laughingstock if we fired Dabo. Here's the problem: he will win just enough to where he cannot be fired but not ever get us over the hump or be a coach others want to lead their program. This was our year for a NC shot and we blew it. So sit back and enjoy the fact that we will be competitive every year with Dabo with an occasional trip to the ACCCG.

Nov 17, 2013, 9:21 AM

Thats the answer I was looking for with Tommy we were mediocre at 8 wins a season. Do we now become complacent at 10 wins. I know we aren't Alabama, but that was the point I was trying to make. I am thrilled with 11 win seasons, but how many people will be happy if thats all we acheive within the next 5 years.

sig-1

"Complacent" with 10 win seasons?

Nov 17, 2013, 9:49 AM

Fans willing to entertain, even entertain, the notion that a coaching staff who's only losses in the past two years have been to Top 10 programs ... and then only three of those ... deserves to be laid off need to pause and seek what demons drive them.

A contention that this somehow "just isn't good enough" implies either that you are subconsciously or overtly seeking dischord ... either to foment trouble where none exists or to seek kindred souls for whatever internal dissonance haunts you.

The notion that potential back-to-back Top 10 finishes, a national presence we haven't enjoyed in 20 years and recognition for a stellar program that has been cleanly built on hard work, respect and family should get a coach fired?

The dissonance in a life like that must be such that the only reaction I an muster is pity.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Complacent" with 10 win seasons?

Nov 17, 2013, 9:54 AM

Lol...no one ever wins an debate against the Rev, Stealin2nd.

Not that you were "winning" beforehand anyway...but now you need to be feeling something the rest of us call embarrassment.

Good job Rev, as always.

As someone else eloquently noted...

Nov 17, 2013, 10:01 AM

...if you're going to initiate a point of debate, follow the rules.

This was a loaded premise from the get-go, and as such needed to be quashed. You may note in my response that I didn't answer the question, but created a subtle ad-hominem that exposes the idiocy of the original premise.

If the question is reframed for reasonable argumentation, it would be a worthwhile way to spend the afternoon ... but I seriously doubt that someone can frame the question of whether or not a coach that has gone 21-3 in the past 2 years deserves the ax in a rational statement.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As someone else eloquently noted...

Nov 17, 2013, 11:28 AM

What is his record against teams with a pulse?

This year he is 1-1, with the L a complete humiliation. When we lose to the chickens, he will be 1-2.

Jesus Christ, you talk like Clemson is Virginia or Duke.***

Nov 17, 2013, 1:07 PM [ in reply to "Complacent" with 10 win seasons? ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So well stated. Some people can never appreciate things

Nov 17, 2013, 1:51 PM [ in reply to "Complacent" with 10 win seasons? ]

in life till they lose them. Sorry, but I don't want to return and duplicate the 20 years between conference championships.

The same people who wanted to keep Bowden

Nov 17, 2013, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for all Dabo supporters ]

will be ecstatic that we're 10-2, whether we're accomplishing anything meaningful or not.

Those who expect more will expect more.

It is what it is.

Oh please. "This was our chance for a national

Nov 17, 2013, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for all Dabo supporters ]

championship shot and we blew it." That ranks as one of the stupidest comments ever posted to this message board. There were MANY folks who thought Clemson was going 8-3 in the regular season this year, as we were rebuilding with the loss of Ellington and Hopkins, and with a suspect defense that had played better over the last half of last season, but still wasn't really anything to write home about. Please name a single national sports pundit who suggested Clemson was a serious contender for a national championship this year.

1988 and 1989 were also our years for NC shot & we blew it.

Nov 17, 2013, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Question for all Dabo supporters ]

Too many fans act as if Clemson has some sort of divine right to be in a position to win the NC on a frequent basis.

I think Clemson is in great shape in football. Probably the best shape we've ever been when we weren't on probation or headed for probation.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you put how much money on Clemson winning the

Nov 17, 2013, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for all Dabo supporters ]

national championship?

Nov 17, 2013, 9:17 AM

Anyone who isn't satisfied with 11-2 needs a new hobby. That simple.

No fan base short of Alabama can call back to back 11 win seasons disappointing. If you can't enjoy it then that's utterly ridiculous.

sorry but this is a silly post...***

Nov 17, 2013, 9:17 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we are 12-1 would you be forever silent?***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is the same Dabo that hired Morris and Venables to..

raise our level of play across the board which they definitely have done. We ran into an F$U buzzsaw this year. Aside from that, we have beaten everyone else and by double digits in most cases. It takes time to continue to elevate and sustain the program. Anyone who wants him gone now can surely remember how much fun the Bowden 8-4 teams were.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

The goal is to win it all, every year.

Nov 17, 2013, 9:24 AM

Understanding that doing so is just not realistic for anyone (sans the Bama run right now) is what makes posts like yours silly.

Sure, goal is to win it all. Understanding our program is top 15, arguably top 10 with no real reason to think it will fall off anytime soon means there is zero reason to be 'upset' with Dabo.

Would a change really give us a better chance to accomplish the goal and win it all next year? Heck no.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

go pull for yourself

Nov 17, 2013, 9:28 AM

I am so sick of all you spoiled rotten no nothing little cry babies! No I did not go to Clemson but they are my favorite sports team. I will pull for them through good & bad & thick & thin. It just so happens that the Tigers are very good!
Dabo Sweeney & every other coach of any level knows a million times more about foorball than you and your ilk.
Now shutup and leave.

Were you dating Tammy Bowden when you thought of this?***

Nov 17, 2013, 9:31 AM

sig-1

it appears you're not mature enough to understand

Nov 17, 2013, 9:47 AM

a rational answer.

"Tammy Bowden"? What are you, 14?

do us all a favor and go find a new hobby. It would make us happy, and you'd be much happier too.

Answer your own question...where do you draw the line

Nov 17, 2013, 9:38 AM

You place a loaded question. Set people up for debate and give no opinion yourself on the position you call in question.

Winning

Nov 17, 2013, 9:41 AM

You win 8-12 every year you will not get fired, even if you are not beating the Chickens.

However, IMO, continue to lose to the Cluckers, Dabo can move on.

Funny, no one tries to hire him.

Re: Answer your own question...where do you draw the line

Nov 17, 2013, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Answer your own question...where do you draw the line ]

Ok here goes.

Like I previously stated I was not a Dabo supporter but I am now. I love the sound of 10 and 11 win seasons. Yes I am aware that we are not Alabama, but why can't we be.

Highest paid coordinators, some of the best talent, and besides FSU a very manageable schedule.

If we have the same results as last year, I will be happy, but I do not want to become the team that does that every year. Losing to FSU was ok just not the way we did. Remember we all screamed about Bowden can't win the big games, but in all seriousness Dabo has UGA and LSU, and thats it. (in the we should lose these games)

There are numerous programs that can't do what we did last year or this year, but you have got to be kidding yourself if you would be happy with 10 or 11 win seasons for the next 5-6 years. It's extrememly hard to have everything together for one year for anyone, but why not Clemson. We have everything it takes, and hopefully do for years. I'm not drawing the line with this season, but I surely won't be happy with the same results over and over agian. Complacent with 8 wins each year or 10 wins each year is still the same. I would be unhappy if progression stopped where we are now.

sig-1

Nov 17, 2013, 10:00 AM

So FSU and VT in 2011 don't count as big games? How about the ACCCG? I get it, you're reluctantly happy b/c we've had 3 straight very good seasons, but now you're trying to passive aggressively give credit while still looking for reasons to complain before there's even something to complain about. "If we go 11-2 every year for 5 years that's just not good enough."

Bullshyatt dude, you're delusional.

So you don't think Oregon has had a successful run recently? You wouldn't be satisfied with Ohio State or Stanford's recent success? You think our program is better than UGA's, who have routinely finished with 10+ wins over the last decade? Oklahoma's multiple BCS appearances wouldn't be enough for you? They've all had the type of stretches you are saying you wouldn't be happy with, which is absurd.

Why can't we be Alabama...? I don't know, go ask Nebraska, Michigan, Tennessee, Miami, Penn St, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, VT, Notre Dame, UCLA, and a host of other great programs. The reason = it's extremely hard, next to impossible!

I wish Clemson was Alabama, but saying that essentially if Dabo can't win multiple NC's then that's not good enough is pure insanity and as I said before, you need a new hobby.

Nov 17, 2013, 10:17 AM

I think Dabo has won more big games than just UGA and LSU. And I think most Clemson fans would agree. Wins such as against Auburn, Virginia Tech at Blackburg, Virginia Tech at ACCCG, FSU in 2009, FSU in 2011.

He's beating every unranked opponent by double digits. He's winning at least half of the games against "VERY good teams".

Progression hasn't stopped. You also have to take into account the progression the other teams are having. South Carolina and FSU have progressed.

Sustainability is very important. I personally think Clemson has not peaked. I look at our program and think it is still on the rise. I look at some of our opponents and think they have peaked. The future is bright.

Go Tigers!

POTM. You have stated the vast majority of Tiger fans

Nov 17, 2013, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Answer your own question...where do you draw the line ]

fellings way more than I ever could. Good job!!

Nov 17, 2013, 9:43 AM

I'll be the first to tell you that I'm less than impressed with you post. You do realize only ONE team wins a national title every year and that consistent top 10 teams (which Clemson is) are always praised and lauded. What more do you want fool?!

A national title isn't exactly as easy as going to the Five & Dime and buying one dude, it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT, and most teams still have to have some luck fall their way to find themselves in one.

So yeah, you're an idiot. Congratulations.

Anyone that fires a coach after winning 10, 11, and 11 games

Nov 17, 2013, 9:47 AM

in consecutive seasons will end up hiring a turd coach that fails miserably. And they will deserve it.

The AD should submit his resignation first.***

Nov 17, 2013, 9:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Signed Ken Hatfield***

Nov 17, 2013, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Anyone that fires a coach after winning 10, 11, and 11 games ]

Hatfield took Clemson to its first losing season in 16 years

Nov 17, 2013, 1:33 PM

After taking over a program ranked third in the AP. That is why he was fired.

Unfortunately Hatfield had some Clemson nuts working

Nov 17, 2013, 2:06 PM

against him which didn't help. He had good success at Arkansas but unfortunately followed Danny and nobody wants to follow a legend.

Nov 17, 2013, 9:48 AM

Just my take,but first off we 10-2 in the regular season last year.
I do not count bowl games as wins or losses,but a reward for a good season.I know they are counted in the final results/polls,but if a team goes 5-7,there is no bowl so the final record is 5-7.
So if we lose to SCAR,we finish 10-2 again.
The thing is this.With the game being played in cootsville,we will have to play our best to win,and I think we will.I look at our efforts against UGA/Tech as our best games all season.However we can't pull a FSU or we will lose.
However should we lose,then I think the game next season in Death Valley becomes paramount.
Dabo has 4 goals that he post every season:
1) Win the opener.
2) Win the division.
3)Win the conference.
4) Beat SC.
Since becoming Head coach,he has won the conference once,the division twice,but is 0-4 against the coots(1-4 if you read the topics about Lou Holtz saying Dabo has not beaten SCAR).
So next year is the year,mo,that things need to change.
3)

i would want more but can live with 11-2

Nov 17, 2013, 9:50 AM

Ideally I wouls like to beat the coots every other year; ACC champion every four years; be in the 4 team playoff every 5 years; I think these are reasonable

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are dumb posts. Then there are really dumb posts. See

Nov 17, 2013, 9:58 AM

above for the difference.

Tiger/Terrier

I think some of you misunderstood my post.

Nov 17, 2013, 9:58 AM

I'm not saying fire Dabo after this year. I'm asking if you will still be happy if we do not progress in the next 5 years. Same results every year with out getting over the big hump. Are you happy living with the past 2 years results for a while.

sig-1

Re: I think some of you misunderstood my post.

Nov 17, 2013, 10:03 AM

Yes, no doubt.

You're asking if we'd be happy being the Oregon of the east coast. Think about it that way, and realize you'd be a fool to think that isn't good enough for Clemson.

Re: I think some of you misunderstood my post.

Nov 17, 2013, 10:11 AM

The best thing that you can hope for in the future w/ the 4 team playoff is that Clemson is a top 10 program year in and year out. Can Dabo do that? Certainly I think Clemson is in a great situation with one hell of a head coach. The future is bright so put on your shades.

You aren't one of those that believes

Nov 17, 2013, 9:59 AM

that it is ok to go 7-5 as long as we beat the coots are you? I want to win EVERY game but understand that very few teams accomplish that. I'm good with 10+ wins consistently with some ACC championships and chances at a MNC every few years. In a perfect situation, we would win the last game of the year EVERY year.

Nov 17, 2013, 10:11 AM

I want to beat the chickens as bad as anybody and in two weeks I believe we will. But even if we don't, its crazy to want to fire Dabo. Spurrier can't be more than a few years away from retiring. Barring they hit a home run with a hire, they will go in a slide. At that point, we'll start picking up some of the top talent in the state we've been missing on. I'll be patient on this one.

Don't remember the last time Clemson was relevant nationally

Nov 17, 2013, 10:15 AM

Week in and week out ..
Glad to be a Clemson tiger even with 11-2 season

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

I'll say it

Nov 17, 2013, 10:16 AM

If we don't beat the chickens, everything else you do is for naught.

How many of you feel good about the ACC title when the chickens slaughtered us?

How many of you feel good about the 11 win season last year when the chickens slaughtered us?

How many of you feel good about the division title in 2009 when the chickens slaughtered us?

Is the objective to rack up a lot of wins against crap opponents or to be a good team? Do you really think those teams were any good when they got murdered by the chickens? They weren't. West Virginia conclusively proved that for us. Florida State proved it for us this year.

We are a decent team, but not physical and not good enough to beat the chickens this year. Those of you who watched the Florida game last night and are now licking your cops are living in a dream world. That was a physical game with hossses on both sides of the line. We will not win that type of game.

There is absolute precedent for canning a successful coach for not beating their rival. Ohio State under John Cooper won 10 games a year. Lost to Michigan every year. They finally canned him, hired Tressel, and won the national title in his second year.

I like Dabo and really want him to be the guy. But in my opinion, it is impossible to call any season a success if you do not beat South Carolina. It isn't like Alabama-Auburn/Texas-Texas A&M where the little brother is respectable and usually a good team. Our little brother is an unemployed alcoholic who you don't let be in a room alone with your kids. Losing to South Carolina in any season is shameful.

If Dabo loses this year, I think we have to can him. Go get Bobby Petrino before Spurrier retires and they hire him first. He knows how to beat them.

chops

Nov 17, 2013, 10:17 AM

Licking cops would be the worst trip ever.

moot point***

Nov 17, 2013, 10:58 AM

Not pleased with losing those games at all, but it is absurd

Nov 17, 2013, 11:04 AM

to even suggest a coaching change when we finish in the top 10. It's beyond laughable. We will never, ever fire a head coach who regularly has us finishing in the top 10, nor should we. Never. There is no line to be drawn in that situation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You really gave a high opinion of the peckers!

Nov 17, 2013, 5:12 PM

Nm

Tiger/Terrier

DUMB POST! 20-3 GOING ON 23-3 makes Dabo a good coach!

Nov 17, 2013, 11:06 AM

GO TIGERS!!!!!

It is unfortunate for Dabo...

Nov 17, 2013, 11:09 AM

that he has run into Slurrier coaching the coots. As much as I hate the guy, he is probably one of the best college football coaches ever...brings a crap program like Duke to heights never seen before, wins a NC at Florida, and does to USuC the same as he did at Duke! He may be a crappy person, but he's one hell of a coach! To me, Dabo's only weak point is losing to the coots. Slurrier won't be around much longer, but hopefully Dabo will, and the world will be right again!

I understand why folks refuse to admit this.

Nov 17, 2013, 1:52 PM

SOS is one of the best NCAA coaches of our era. That was a bitter pill for me to swallow too. I'm a Clemson grad, we know if it walks like a duck...SOS is a really good coach. A pos but still a really good coach.

This program was criple when Dabo took over. TB had not recruited and developed linemen. Sure, we had Bowers, CJ and James but three or four guys don't make an 85 man roster.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not true

Nov 17, 2013, 5:22 PM

If Tommy Bowden left no talent behind, how did Dabo win the Atlantic Division in 2009 and take Georgia Tech to the wire in the ACC championship game. Heck...Dabo had only been the coach for under a year. Tommmy B recruited very well over the years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo won a couple of games recently on the national

Nov 17, 2013, 1:03 PM

Stage .. Also with 11-2 potential worse case is good

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

I can't imagine anyone being happy with the kind of 10-2

Nov 17, 2013, 1:11 PM

we would be if we lost to USuCk.

Unfortunately there are many that would be.

Agree 100%***

Nov 17, 2013, 1:14 PM

Re: I confess

Nov 17, 2013, 1:51 PM

I'm not "all in" but I think this has to play out a few more years. I said in a different post it may be a few more years before V has the D where he wants it. By then if Watson is for real, he will be at QB (hopefully with a good OL). If we are still inferior to FSU and the coots then; someone has to fall on the sword.

I'm just gonna tell you like it is.

Nov 17, 2013, 1:48 PM

I won't be the least bit happy if we were to lose to the chickens.

Otherwise, we're getting better and better each year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2013, 2:08 PM

We could be fla st five out of ten times. Case closed. Next!

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic