Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson vs The Citadel Dec. 4, 1948
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1

Clemson vs The Citadel Dec. 4, 1948

Jun 9, 2020, 11:09 PM

In an earlier post I said that Don King was the quarterback that I remembered from the first Clemson game I attended. Not true. King was the first qb I remembered, but the first Clemson game I attended was on Dec. 4, 1948.

I grew up on Congress St, diretly across from Johnson Hagood Stadium. I could watch games from my 2nd stry bedroom window, but only the far end of the field. On Dec. 4, 1948, Clemson was in town for the dedication of Johnson Hagood Stadium. I watched the first half, at least what I could see, from my window. At half time the gates were opened for any and all and I ran as fast as my 7 year old legs could carry me to the closest entrance. Back then parents let younsters my age run free as long as we were home in time for dinner. I remember little about the game except that Clemson won.

Offensive players I remembered form that era included Fred Cone, Jackie Calvert, Ray Matthews and Billy Hair. I don't know if any were on that 1948 team.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cone & Mathews were starters on '48 team. Calvert was backup on that team but he didn't start

Jun 9, 2020, 11:49 PM

until 1950. That was the season when all 3 were the starting RBs on the offense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson vs The Citadel Dec. 4, 1948

Jun 10, 2020, 9:08 AM

I remember the "ok but be home for dinner era" that world is long gone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic