Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson under Leggett has finished in the top 8 in the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Clemson under Leggett has finished in the top 8 in the

Jun 2, 2013, 6:04 PM

country 6 times, and in 3rd/4th twice, one of these just three years ago. Has any coach in Clemson history in football, basketball, or baseball ever been this successful on a national scale?

I could care less about college baseball as it's in the same league as volleyball or lacrosse, IMO, but you don't fire or force out a coach with these type results especially when he seems to recruit well and has a young talented team returning.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson under Leggett has finished in the top 8 in the

Jun 2, 2013, 6:08 PM

I think you're right. You don't force him out this year. You don't try to talk him into staying though if he wants to retire. However, if we don't advance to at least the Super Regionals next year, it might be a different story.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel the same way about baseball.

Jun 2, 2013, 6:08 PM

But, shouldn't our "young" team still be much better that LIBERTY? Even if liberty had 8th year Seniors, we should still be better than.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I feel the same way about baseball.

Jun 2, 2013, 6:10 PM

not necessarily. baseball is different from football or basketball. that said, I would have thought we could have beaten them at least one of 2 games.

Sure but you don't fire someone for losing to them.***

Jun 2, 2013, 6:30 PM [ in reply to I feel the same way about baseball. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about twice?

Jun 2, 2013, 6:36 PM

Do you think we could win a third game? I don't.

2009_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baseball is differnt. I"d think almost every team in the

Jun 3, 2013, 9:06 AM

country has losses to lil' teams like that.

That's why they play so many games.

Re: I feel the same way about baseball.

Jun 3, 2013, 2:40 PM [ in reply to I feel the same way about baseball. ]

ABSOLUTELY!! no reason to ever lose to them

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2013, 6:11 PM

Yep and if we had an elite coach then we would have more to show for those years. When talent equalizes we lose. We lose due to #### poor fundamentals (coaching).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 3, 2013, 7:45 AM

Answer his question instead of slinging the mud you always sling

Great post

Jun 2, 2013, 6:16 PM

**nm

It still doesn't make sense given that the 2nd half...

Jun 2, 2013, 6:18 PM

of our regular season went so well. We looked like we were peaking when we went to FSU at the end of the regular season only to fall completely apart from then on.

I don't know - maybe the other teams figured out how to pitch against us. No, I don't blame Leggett as the sole reason for our failure like some people on here do - he's not on the field playing. All I can say is it shouldn't have happened.

Re: It still doesn't make sense given that the 2nd half...

Jun 2, 2013, 6:20 PM

I think it is understandable when you look at our schedule. The early season was horrific in its difficulty, April and early May was the weakest competition we played. Then the ACC tourney against top 10 teams and the regional against solid competition.

Re: It still doesn't make sense given that the 2nd half...

Jun 2, 2013, 6:44 PM [ in reply to It still doesn't make sense given that the 2nd half... ]

When a coach has been in charge of all aspects of the program for as long as cjl there are no excuses, youth, coaching, hitting, etc etc, cjl has had time to figure it all out. His last 3-5 years have been a steady decline into mediocrity.

If there isn't substantial improvement next season...

Jun 2, 2013, 6:42 PM

Jack needs to move on. There's no way to rationalize away the fact that Liberty is better than we are. Our baseball program is trending downward. If the talent is there, and the problem isn't coaching, just that we're "young", then another year of Leggett and staff's coaching should reasonably be expected to bring about that improvement.

This year's team collapsed. There's no way around it. Another collapse next season and Jack should go... with our thanks for some great baseball memories.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At this level, there are no "young" players

Jun 2, 2013, 10:22 PM

I have a ten year old - he's played two seasons a year since he was 5, and a summer camp; many of the really good players his age are playing 2 leagues in both seasons every year. You can't claim too young after 13 years of that, and 60 college games.

We either don't have the talent (which I don't believe), or our coaches aren't getting the most out of what we have (which I absolutely believe).

I hate firing coaches, but some of the stuff I've seen posted here have me thinking it may be time for both parties to move on.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2013, 11:21 PM

this is the definition of what is wrong with the attitude towards Leggett. You care only about stuff like football, and compare college baseball to volleyball. Are you serious? If football was like this you'd be calling for the coaches head not comparing it to rugby club.

he cares enough to know or research the data***

Jun 3, 2013, 6:59 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the football oacch finished in the top 8 six times, would

Jun 3, 2013, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson under Leggett has finished in the top 8 in the ]

you want him fired. I wouldn't.

You lost ALL credibility with this phrase,

Jun 3, 2013, 5:59 AM

"I could care less about college baseball ..."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

It should give me more credibility as I'm not emotionally

Jun 3, 2013, 8:42 AM

involved. I want us to win of course like all Clemson sports.

If you don't vote, don't complain.***

Jun 3, 2013, 1:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

But my post above is my vote.***

Jun 4, 2013, 6:44 PM

null

Message was edited by: josephg®

Jun 3, 2013, 8:07 AM

The biggest problem I see is that we aren't better at the end of the year, we seem to go backwards. Tired of hearing about how young we are, every program deals with the same issues, only some deal with it better.

Jun 3, 2013, 8:50 AM

rule #1 in college athletics.... never let a coach go until you have a good idea of who available to replace him. what are clemson's best options? don't say Corbin because he's not coming. Pawlowski, how did he work out at Auburn? not saying that there isn't a good candidate for Clemson, but Leggett isn't failing, he just can't get over the hump to get to the top.

Couple of things....

Jun 3, 2013, 9:10 AM

1. Young doesn't fly...the pros take kids straight from high school every year.

2. Fundamentals doesn't fly , unless they're not making the 'correct plays' ...those are fundamentals. By the time you reach this level, you better be able to hit, field, etc...or get benched and move one.

3. Maybe its just me...but as a hitter- the absolute most embarrassing thing you could ever do was take a strike 3....unless it was grossly outside or whatever , then you looked straight at the ump and made the point.... turning and walking away wasnt it...you toss the bat out and foul tip it or WHATEVER it took. Especially when the game was on the line. BOTTOM LINE.

This all being said....the players play, the coaches coach....we didn't do enough at the plate or on the mound - if you can do it against all these top level teams (NC,FSU,etc...)then its not the coaching... and you HAVE to be able to do it against the Libertys.

They let the NC loss poison them....that's the only thing you can blame on youth and coaching.

My $.02

Are there any power hitters in our line up?

Jun 3, 2013, 2:05 PM

I like the mold of our players and I like the clean look of our boys, but geez, we need a couple of guys that opponents fear. Don't get me wrong, Boulware did just fine this year, but the diversity in our lineup is missing. We need a couple of boys who can do more than poke balls in the outfield.

Message was edited by: WNCTiger11®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WNCTiger11

Re: Couple of things....weownusc

Jun 4, 2013, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Couple of things.... ]

yes the pros do take kids out of high school, only what they think are the best, and most get buried in the minors.
Have you ever played baseball past high school? Well I have and it's a lot harder to hit a baseball than to put the bat out there to make contact. Go find you a pitching machine throwing over 85 mph and see how you do. What most of you seem to overlook is the players we have lost early to the pros and how many good players Jack has recruited that have been drafted by the pros. Does this happen to all teams? It does to some, but Jack seems to go after top quality which means he takes a LOT of risks that most teams will not go after. The libertys of the world are better teams than you think because baseball is more equal among teams that you think because VERY few of these kids get more than 1/3 scholies

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By my count

Jun 3, 2013, 2:13 PM

12 different coaches have won national championships since Jack Leggett took over at Clemson, and 9 teams in addition to Clemson have made the college world series at least 6 times (Arizona State, Cal State Fullerton, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Rice, South Carolina, Stanford, Texas).

We've probably been a top 10 program over Leggett's tenure, but does it matter if you've got no trophies to show for it?

People compare Leggett to Bobby Cox a lot, but at least Cox managed to win 1 and finish second a bunch of times. Jack's never done better than third, even as a player.

Jun 3, 2013, 2:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uizdKZAGE&list=PLB6ACB91D1DDD683A

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic