Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson puts 'Rainbow Initiatives' job 'on hold indefinitely
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Clemson puts 'Rainbow Initiatives' job 'on hold indefinitely

Aug 2, 2017, 6:08 PM

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9531

-Clemson University has suspended its search for an “Associate Director for Rainbow Initiatives,” casting doubt on the prospects for a “permanent space” for LGBTQ students on campus.
-A university spokesperson previously declared that we aren’t considering a specific place for this—or any other single group—at this time."
-LGBTQ student groups, however, insist that they have received promises from the administration that an LGBTQ safe space is being considered, speculating that budgetary concerns are the real reason the posting was pulled.

Clemson University has suspended its search for an “Associate Director for Rainbow Initiatives,” casting doubt on the prospects for a “permanent space” for LGBTQ students on campus.

“The university has decided to place this job posting on hold. We'll try to provide updates as we find out more,” the Clemson University President’s LGBTQ Commission posted on Facebook.

“Clemson University's first full-time staff position for LGBTQ+ programming and advocacy has been put on hold indefinitely,” the CU Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA) confirmed. “We currently have no further details.”

The news comes shortly after the job listing was removed from the university’s website to be “re-evaluated” after it sparked concerns that the school was undertaking a secretive effort to create an LGBTQ safe space.

In an apparent allusion to student demands that Clemson establish a “permanent space” for the LGBTQ+ community on campus, the job description noted that the associate director would be responsible for providing “a comfortable, safe, accessible resource center for anyone interested in a place to talk, listen, or find support and materials around LGBTQ issues.”

The LGBTQ Commission’s Facebook post prompted several individuals to ask why the position was placed on hold.

“From what I read, there were parts of the job description that were inconsistent,” replied student Alexander Cullen. “Things such as the employee would work on space allocation for the LGTBQA+ community, while at the same time the administration said they had no plans to look into allocating a space.”

The LGBTQ Commission responded with a curt denial, saying, “This is untrue and any article from a place like Campus Reform should not be taken seriously as they often sensationalize facts, not to mention misquote and take quotes completely out of context to fit a narrative.”

“Is this commission saying that Campus Reform is an unreliable news source?” student Zachariah Talley asked incredulously, but no further response was forthcoming.

Shortly thereafter, Cullen commented again, this time providing a screenshot of a text message from Vice President of University Relations Mark Land explicitly contradicting the Commission’s claims.

“I have been told that the description is being re-evaluated. There is no specific ‘space management’ component to the role,” Land wrote, adding, “The individual in this position will serve as a resource for our GLBTQ community but we aren’t considering a specific place for this—or any other single group—at this time.”

Campus Reform reached out to the LGBTQ Commission for clarification, but was summarily rejected.

“We will not be reporting anything to Campus Reform as too often quotes given to CR are taken out of context and sensationalized,” LGBTQ Commission representative Josh Morgan asserted. “You may contact the Office of Inclusion and Equity [OIE] for a quote on the matter.”

Morgan did, however, see fit to elaborate further on the matter to The Tiger Town Observer, a Clemson student newspaper.

“Land’s response is not an exact representation of why the position was put on hold and we’re not sure who informed him of such. The commission was told it was to reevaluate budgeting as this has to do with moving FTE [full-time equivalent] positions around in the OIE,” Morgan claimed.

“We are aware from [Clemson University Student Government] and CU SAGA that [the] administration did inform them of space being considered, so that is why we are all surprised by Mr. Land’s comments,” he added, noting that “I also serve on the search committee for this position, and we still have yet to receive official word on why this was placed on hold.”

In a separate Facebook post, CU SAGA asserted that it is “working to gain clarity on the situation and to figure out what we need to do to make the space happen,” but a representative for the group could only offer speculation after speaking with administrators.

“I have spoken directly to Lee Gill, who led the creation of the position and the job title, and he cited budgetary issues. He said that the Board of Trustees is fiscally conservative and did not want to use the budget to fund this position,” CU SAGA member Jessie Bailey told Campus Reform.

“However, he seems hopeful that the position will be published again after a rewrite of the job description and after advocates for the position create a detailed proposal for why this position is needed,” Bailey added.

In response to further inquiries, Morgan charged Campus Reform with turning diversity initiatives such as the propose LGBTQ safe space “into a mythical attack on [F]irst [A]mendment rights without ever understanding or researching the sociology behind the term safe space or attempting to critically think about why having a person devoted to inclusion to LGBTQ students is necessary.”

According to Morgan, “the main push back” against the plan has come from “conservative outlets, such as Clemson Conservatives, Tiger Town Observer, and now CR.”

Campus Reform reached out to Mark Land to determine whether students were promised an “LGBTQIA+ community space,” and why the position was placed on hold indefinitely, but he declined to comment further.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson puts 'Rainbow Initiatives' job 'on hold indefinitely

Aug 2, 2017, 6:10 PM

I'm tired of this liberal crap at Clemson.

Aug 2, 2017, 6:42 PM

that is way beyond liberal

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2017, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson puts 'Rainbow Initiatives' job 'on hold indefinitely ]

I am tired of people blaming everything on liberals or conservatives -1

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2017, 7:35 PM

See the stripes was the reason I did not give to the Clemson Fund for the first time since I graduated in 1980. If this is true and Clemson is seeing the light, I might be able to start giving again. Everyone has a right to believe in what they want and be what they want. But the majority does not have to fund the minority view. Does everyone realize that transgenders constitute 0.07% of the population but we are suppose to allow them into whatever bathroom they feel like using on any given day. Not through my donation !!!!

Aug 2, 2017, 7:58 PM

Wait, what's wrong with See the Stripes and why would that affect you donating to the university?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2017, 9:35 PM

The left is destroying everything. Have a banana!

Aug 2, 2017, 7:47 PM

Funny how they want to be equal, but want everyone to know their queer and get worshiped for it. Having special privileges for their own sexual choices. Sad.

They just want to be treated the same

Aug 2, 2017, 8:03 PM

and different.

They don't want to be singled out, they just want to have their own (taxpayer funded) place.

Aug 2, 2017, 7:48 PM

Take your rhetoric to the statehouse or S T F U.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2017, 8:02 PM

The statehouse is not using my donation to support see the stripes. The Clemson Admin is !!!!

Aug 2, 2017, 8:06 PM

I don't know what the stripes are, and I certainly am not obtuse enough to eliminate my donation to this great university based on anything that stupid.

Having said that, people need to calm their ### down with the safe space crap. You can learn to live in this world like the rest of us, regardless of your beliefs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2017, 1:14 PM

Hmm...to me this is sorta like the "gun free" zones. If I were of a mind to harass/abuse/persecute (terrorize/kill) a group of people based on their beliefs or lifestyle, the LGBT "safe zone" (gun free zone) would be the place to go to do it. Both are target rich environments with likely little resistance to be encountered. I.e., perfect for bullies. BTW, haven't heard of any requests for "conservative safe zones" anywhere although there seems to be a great deal of ridicule & retribution directed at this segment (#personalresponsibility, #comeaheadifsoinclned)

Now can we get back to football please?

Aug 2, 2017, 8:35 PM

I thought the goal of civil rights was to have a society that didn't categorize, segregate, or otherwise treat people differently based on their race, religious creed, gender or sexual preference. A society that judges people based on their character, actions, and behavior and not some benign trait such as race, gender or orientation...

Seems to me that these "identity groups" such as the LGBTQ and BLM are more interested in labeling everyone and making judgements on people based on benign traits (skin color, sexual orientation, gender etc...) instead of the content of one's character. Can't we just label everyone a human being and be done with this "identity group" crap? It used to be that civil rights was about integrating everyone into society - now these groups want segregated areas and safe spaces where they can avoid associating with people not like them. What's worse is that many college's support this line of segregation - I certainly hope Clemson does not fall into this category.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2017, 1:27 PM

> I thought the goal of civil rights was to have a
> society that didn't categorize, segregate, or
> otherwise treat people differently based on their
> race, religious creed, gender or sexual preference.
> A society that judges people based on their
> r character, actions, and behavior and not some
> benign trait such as race, gender or orientation...
>
> Seems to me that these "identity groups" such as the
> LGBTQ and BLM are more interested in labeling
> everyone and making judgements on people based on
> benign traits (skin color, sexual orientation, gender
> etc...) instead of the content of one's character.
> Can't we just label everyone a human being and be
> e done with this "identity group" crap? It used to
> be that civil rights was about integrating everyone
> into society - now these groups want segregated areas
> and safe spaces where they can avoid associating with
> people not like them. What's worse is that many
> college's support this line of segregation - I
> certainly hope Clemson does not fall into this
> category.

You are correct & kudos for the MLK reference to "the content of a man's character & not the color of his skin." Same could easily apply to sexual preference (why no BDSM "safe zone"?), ethnic origin (Hispanic, Native, American, Asian, East/West Indian, etc). This is a democratic republic so under the constitution everywhere is a safe zone for everyone

Aw shucks, I know Bob was looking forward to his interview

Aug 2, 2017, 9:22 PM

He even spent some extra time at Balms house to prepare.

Snowflake Basher........Out

^^^Wishes he was a black homosexual man so he could enjoy

Aug 3, 2017, 11:04 AM

all of the benefits that accrue to those groups.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

### is Q?

Aug 3, 2017, 1:36 PM

I get L means lesbians, which I like when they're hawt and especially in college. G means the gheys, my opinion is reserved on that juan. B means bi-sectional (or having literally no standards). T means transformer, which is gross to me. But ### is the Q part???

Q is for Queenie***

Aug 3, 2017, 2:57 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Oh boy...

Aug 3, 2017, 3:38 PM

he's stronger than the average American male, you know.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic