Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How hard would it be to put a gps sensor in a football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

How hard would it be to put a gps sensor in a football

Feb 13, 2019, 3:44 PM

for out of bounds and pylon type calls ?

The Chinese probably have the technology.

But they stink at football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've mentioned this exact thing in the past

Feb 13, 2019, 3:51 PM

You could easily put a sensor in the ball and then on each goal-line and sideline. It could be connected to the game clock as well. This would eliminate a lot of human error.

There's lots of technologies that could be implemented into football to make the game less dependent on humans, but many believe that the bias of the refs is just part of the game and would never remove them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: I've mentioned this exact thing in the past

Feb 13, 2019, 4:10 PM

I wonder why they still allow umps to call balls and strikes too.

Feb 14, 2019, 5:32 PM

Glavine and Maddox wouldn’t be in the Hall of Fame without 25 inch plates they had.

SHUT YOUR FILTHY MOUF!***

Feb 14, 2019, 11:02 PM

Feb 13, 2019, 4:11 PM [ in reply to I've mentioned this exact thing in the past ]

I have too. even my wife has. Time to come of age chain gang.

Re: How hard would it be to put a gps sensor in a football

Feb 13, 2019, 4:10 PM

Lots of technologies available that could easily do this, GPS is not one of them.

These types of technologies have been used in other sports for years. Just like everything else they are getting smaller and cheaper. Not sure why football and baseball have chosen to ignore them.

null

Feb 13, 2019, 4:17 PM

If you want to fix a game it takes control from the powers that “BE”.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 13, 2019, 4:31 PM

The thing about a sensor in a ball is that it can tell where only it is, not the entire surface of the ball. On the other hand, I suppose if the sensor's orientation was fixed relative to the ball AND it could sense its orientation (pitch and yaw), you could map the football's surface to tell where it is relative to a location. I think that would he pretty simple if we are talking about discrete locations like sidelines and goal lines where you can bury wires. It may be tougher if you want to know where it is in space anywhere on the field. OTOH, as sophisticated as vision systems have become (self driving cars), that may be easier than I think.

That would actually make for a cool graphic. Imagine this: There is a scrum at the goal line and the pylon cam cannot see the ball. However, we can map its surface, so we put a 3D CGI of the ball on the picture where the ball is so that the viewer can see what the sensors know.

clemson already has sensors in the pads..

Feb 13, 2019, 4:37 PM

That tells the players how fast they are running. Doubt they have the technology to place sensors on the whole ball and lines of scrimmage to be able to say exactly when a ball crosses. It would have to be something similar to tennis which is just cameras I think.

Re: clemson already has sensors in the pads..

Feb 13, 2019, 4:40 PM

beat me to it. =op

Feb 13, 2019, 4:39 PM

If it can be done in tennis, complete with accurate skid mark by the ball's contact, surely it can be done with football.

Feb 13, 2019, 4:52 PM

You could do it but it is a stupid idea.

In order to determine if the ball crosses a line you need a good High Frequency GPS. You can buy a waterproof version from NKE but they are the size of a baseball, need a 12V power source and weigh 500 grams.

No you don't... GPS isn't what's needed.***

Feb 13, 2019, 5:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would require a number of rule changes

Feb 13, 2019, 5:36 PM

eliminating the "any part of the ball" being across the goal line or the out of bounds ruling. During the ND game we would have lost the fumble on the kick off (assuming the GPS is centrally located in the ball. A GPS on each end would solve part of the problem, but not the "fat" part of the ball where you would require 360 degrees of coverage. How do you account for the GPS error that will occur and the pads/bodies shielding the signal? If someone had alum. foil inside their pads that could cause reflections or shielding and screw things up.

Possibly a solution using WiFi on the surface of the ball and antennas along the goal and sidelines might be workable, but then a hacker could just jam it all.

Not saying it can't be done, but there are a bunch of gotcha's to overcome.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GPS isn't that accurate. But it could be done with other

Feb 13, 2019, 6:12 PM

electronics if desired.

It would deflate the balls.. cant do that.***

Feb 14, 2019, 2:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

All we want is fair.

Feb 14, 2019, 3:03 PM

I had fewer complaints about the NC game and playoff in general this year. I'm OK with the refs being human and don't expect perfection out of them.

My question about this is 'how would more technology delay the game.' The NCAA has been shortening the game for a long time now while TV has been adding more and longer breaks. I noticed quarter breaks are about the same length as 'TV timeouts,' now.

I liked the old days when a game was played in 2 1/2 or 3 hours. I don't like having someone else control my time and I only see commercials which are played during live Clemson games. When I watch replays off my DVR I FF through commercials and mute the idiots commenting on the games. I learn to read Refs' sign language a long time ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All we want is fair.

Feb 14, 2019, 9:31 PM

You may know where the ball is but was his knee down, was part of foot out of bounds first, etc.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic