Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Church was slam full today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Church was slam full today

Apr 11, 2021, 7:56 PM

not many masks

the jig is up

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about the snakes?

Apr 11, 2021, 8:13 PM

Do they have to be sanitized when you pass from one person to another?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What about the snakes?

Apr 11, 2021, 8:15 PM

snakes?

aint revival silly

If this was a true pandemic

Apr 11, 2021, 8:33 PM

You wouldn't have to coerce people to be safe. They'd be scared shitless to even go outside.

The number of people willfully willing to go out in public shows me.all I need to know

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If this was a true pandemic

Apr 11, 2021, 8:53 PM

Yep we are done with the masks , done with the whole thing. Time to move on.

exactly

Apr 11, 2021, 9:13 PM [ in reply to If this was a true pandemic ]

If it was a true pandemic a few million people would have died.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wait...***

Apr 12, 2021, 9:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think eventually history may judge this isn't a pandemic***

Apr 11, 2021, 9:47 PM [ in reply to If this was a true pandemic ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. The worst thing this virus has done is inoculate us

Apr 12, 2021, 12:55 AM

against reacting well to a real one. The way this one was politicized has divided us while reducing trust in people who should be authoritative. If another coronavirus started tomorrow, same risk profile, but not affected by the current vaccine, I think many people, if not most, would think, "I've had enough of whatever theater I'm about to get. I'm making my own decisions this time."

This will sound political, but I can't help it: it happened. But I don't think I will ever forget the interchange between Rand Paul and Tony Fauci:

Fauci: "The vaccine will not allow us to get back to normal."
Paul: "Can you show any evidence of re-infection in a statistically significant amount?"
"It's about the variants (uses the word "variant" 3 more times)"
"Can you show any evidence of re-infection after the vaccine or having the illness?"
"You are not understanding. Its about variants (uses 'variants' 6 more times)".
"Can you show any evidence of re-infection?"
"You seem incapable of understanding me, its about variants, variants, variants."

The answer, of course, was 'no', variant or otherwise. Since Fauci wouldn't answer the question, I googled around for myself. There is very little discussion out there about variants and the current vaccine, but everyone who is connected with it and who has knowledge of what the vaccine actually is says some version of, "The variants are so new we of course have not tested the current vaccine against them in a long term study, but we know the makeup of both the variants and the vaccines, and we fully expect them to be quite effective, and early experience shows this to be the case."

But Fauci refused to say even that. These lifelong anonymous bureaucrats are having their day in the sun, and they are not going to give it up. It's gloom and doom 24/7. He'll put on a third mask any day now just to get to explain why.

So when the next one comes along, we're now supposed to trust these guys?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree. The worst thing this virus has done is inoculate us

Apr 12, 2021, 5:55 AM

The loss of trust is a huge issue. The virus was used as a political weapon. The virus is real, I had it. But from the jump it was seized as an opportunity to destroy the president. The president was somehow supposed to be an authority on covid a year ago and yet this clown show Fauci still can’t make up his mind. I don’t trust any of them. At this point I’ll make my own decisions. Period!

Evidence of variants.....?

Apr 12, 2021, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Agree. The worst thing this virus has done is inoculate us ]

This may not be a pandemic because it may not end like one.

Evidence of variants? You have to look for it. About the last place to look for it is from a politician, or a political website or TV network, and lord knows not in Congressional testimony. You really have to toss out the garbage, go to sources, and read. Your exchange highlights something important though, with regard to loss of trust. No one wants to admit what is becoming pretty clear. Why did the United States not study "variants"? Why did it have to be the British to spill the beans on that? And why South Africa? And why has the US not studied our OWN variants? Yes, we have variants as well, and they are similar, and some different, than our allies' variants. There were no less than 6 major variants in March of 2020. Another interesting thing is we track every single person who gets a vaccine, and we track their symptoms. BUT, we have absolutely no way to track covid reinfections. They are happening and the important thing is to sort out reinfections with a different variant, versus antibody depletion resulting in a reinfection of whatever virus is going around. The first scenario means this becomes influenza-like, and will not go away. The second option means a good vaccine could end, or at least greatly reduce covid to a nuisance.

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(21)00183-5/fulltext#back-bib4

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/5/20-4912_article

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/06/israel-and-chile-both-led-on-covid-jabs-so-why-is-one-back-in-lockdown

https://www.timesofisrael.com/real-world-israeli-data-shows-south-african-variant-better-at-bypassing-vaccine/

(the study, from the story about the study above - https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.06.21254882v1.full.pdf)

Besides all of that, all the evidence you need to see herd immunity is likely not going to happen, and probably for the same reason it doesn't happen with the flu, is here:

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

If you scroll down and look at that pretty rainbow rectangular chart, those colors represent "variants". Upper left/blue was the original virus. It is all but extinct now across the planet, as is the second strain. You may note at the bottom right are some new colors that appeared around November of last year and are growing in prevalence. There are three variants that are increasing and now account for around 50% of all new infections on the planet (which btw are near record highs from earlier, worldwide anyway). Those three growing strains are...yep the "variants of concern"...Brazil, England, and South Africa. There's your proof, if you need it. Don't care what Fauci says, or doesn't say. In the article above about Manaus, Brazil, their first wave that resulted in 76% seroprevalence of antibodies (and herd immunity), was the original strain (upper left/blue). Their second wave was the new P.1 variant, the darkest red on the pretty rainbow chart at the bottom right. That variant overcame NATURAL antibodies to the original variant (between 25-65% of second wave infections in Manaus, Brazil were reinfections of people who had antibodies to the original strain). And, fwiw, our vaccines are based on the original variant, that basically no longer exists. Your second shot is VERY important, as that extends the longevity of your antibodies. Manaus popped again because either 1) the antibodies waned over time and/or 2) the new P.1 strain overcame those antibodies. That distinction is important with regard to vaccines. Either way, it shows herd immunity will be illusive. If it's #2, we're likely looking at the birth of another influenza-like virus.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/5/20-4912_article

The vaccines are the real wild card here. Naturally, this probably doesn't end, or doesn't end for a very long time. With vaccines, there's a chance, or even a chance it dies down to be more like influenza with some baseline immunity. The science is saying we should look at this more like influenza, and not like a pandemic STRAIN of influenza. The politicians say the sky is falling or it's all fake news, depending on their agendas. Considering how "news" has been released to Americans during this entire pandemic, we will know only when we need to know it. And even then, enough politicians and talking heads will get on TV talking about it so 50% of Americans either will or won't believe it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fun fact

Apr 12, 2021, 12:07 PM

82 is only a sampling.

Apr 12, 2021, 12:55 PM

Would be nice to note the variants compared to all others sampled. But that would make too much sense. Much easier to say only 82 cases in SC ;) If they sampled 10,000 samples, then the variants are insignificant. If they tested 500, then they're growing to represent a large portion of new cases. For some reason...I can't find any totals on the universe of samples anywhere on the DHEC website, only the totals positive for each variant.

You CAN track the British versus SA variants though against each other, for what that's worth I guess. British seems to be getting ahead of SA it appears with 197 cases for a 2-1 lead. But without a total number sampled, it's meaningless really.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

Not sure how "history" would do that.

Apr 12, 2021, 3:38 PM [ in reply to I think eventually history may judge this isn't a pandemic*** ]

Pandemic just means the disease affected the entire world. Not sure how "history" would show otherwise here.

Because if it becomes permanent, like influenza

Apr 12, 2021, 4:09 PM

And in 30 years from now it's still going around, was/is it a pandemic? We don't consider influenza a pandemic, unless a unique strain comes along, yet it's everywhere on Earth. Is AIDS still a pandemic? Technically it's an epidemic, not a pandemic. Initially they called it a pandemic, but lately have changed it to an epidemic. Where's the cutoff?

Most of us think of pandemics like we've been told to think of covid, not AIDS or influenza. A nasty virus that jumps to humans, we all get it, get herd immunity, then it just fades away. Is obesity a pandemic? Hypertension? Cardiovascular disease? Cancer?

Well, the word is referring to an event...

Apr 13, 2021, 8:49 AM

So, I'd say the "initial" influenze, AIDS, whatever might be termed a pandemic, because that was a discrete event. If it becomes permanent, then it's a disease that started with a pandemic event in 2020. At least, that's how I'd view it.

One of the reasons I won’t be going back.***

Apr 12, 2021, 8:09 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One of the reasons I won’t be going back.***

Apr 12, 2021, 8:28 AM

365 Bible verses say “fear not”. One for every day of the year. I choose to fear not.

not fearing and being stupid aren't the same thing***

Apr 12, 2021, 9:45 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: not fearing and being stupid aren't the same thing***

Apr 12, 2021, 4:03 PM

I knew that was coming. I told my buddy, watch this, somebody will say exactly what you just said. Lol.

Because it's true. Predicting someone is going to correct...

Apr 12, 2021, 4:09 PM

your stupidity isn't really redeeming, is it?

If you don't "fear" anything, then why not walk off a cliff?

Re: Because it's true. Predicting someone is going to correct...

Apr 12, 2021, 4:50 PM

My point is that I’m not living in fear. I’ve had covid. People are getting vaccines if they choose. At some point we move past the fear. Walking off a cliff of course would not be wise. The insults are a poor way to communicate. Have a nice day.

And the point I'm making is that being wise is not akin...

Apr 13, 2021, 8:22 AM

to being fearful.

Wearing masks helps slow/stop the spread of COVID. So it's wise to wear a mask. Wearing a mask is not the same as "fearing" COVID.

God gives us the tools and intellect to be wise (call them "talents"). It's my personal belief that NOT using the "talents" God gave us is sinful.

Re: And the point I'm making is that being wise is not akin...

Apr 13, 2021, 2:46 PM

How long do you want me to use my “talent” and wear a mask? Serious question. There’s a couple in my church in their mid 50s. They’ve both had the vaccine. They both double mask , sit in the welcome area rather than come into the actuary, then sprint to the car after service so they never come within 50 feet of anyone. His long should they use their “talent” ?

That's apocryphal, the thing about "fear not"***

Apr 12, 2021, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: One of the reasons I won’t be going back.*** ]

I am on the struggle bus too man

Apr 12, 2021, 9:49 AM [ in reply to One of the reasons I won’t be going back.*** ]

I went back on Easter and while it was cool, they made some unannounced changes in the clergy and I am not too happy about the changes, especially how they did it.

Frustrated for sure.

ATL PAW MAN®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are just mad because

Apr 12, 2021, 5:00 PM [ in reply to One of the reasons I won’t be going back.*** ]

you cant make change out the offering plate (its a bucket now beside the door)

seriously, you just need to keep your hands clean, dont get up in anyone's face

even if you get it great chance that you will get over it

the drive to the Church is probably more dangerous

Re: Church was slam full today

May 2, 2021, 4:09 PM

Gubna McMaster showed up today at church, shaking hands, no mask

didnt kiss nobabies though

Re: Church was slam full today

May 2, 2021, 9:24 PM

He shook hands?? Oh the humanity!!!!!