Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Child hood diseases/terrors
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Child hood diseases/terrors

Mar 10, 2020, 11:49 AM

There are many people who worry about hysteria regarding the corona virus. I am not one of them. I am 78 years old and grew up in Charleston. As a child I had measles, chicken pox, mumps, whooping cough, etc. I remember my mother being terrified about the spread of polio, especially after a neighbor's child came down with the disease/virus.

Do you old-timers remember "iron lungs"? Do you remember doctors making "house calls"? Do you remember doctors posting quarantine signs on your front door? Do you remember smallpox vaccines, penicillin shots in the butt, polio vaccine in sugar cubes?

WE are blessed that the medical and science communities researched and developed medicines and vaccines to attach the diseases of our childhoods. Special thanks to Doctors Salk and Sabin!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

except for election years....then we have permission to go

Mar 10, 2020, 12:03 PM

cray cray bc its all about winning and so we put a freeze on common sense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Child hood diseases/terrors

Mar 10, 2020, 12:06 PM

You have a few years on me but I remember all of that. I remember going down to the school on Sunday afternoons to get a series of sugar cubes laced with something. I think that was for polio? Having chicken pox "parties" so we could all get exposed because it was better to get it at an early age, or something like that. But, I have had my Shingles vaccinations. They say I had scarlet fever when very young too. Don't here about that anymore.

More worried about the disruptions caused the COVID 19 than the consequences of actually getting it. I mean, toilet paper hoarding! Really! I always keep a years supply anyway. But, I am now rationing it. Going from three sheets per wipe to two.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 12:12 PM

I’m 78 also and truly remember the Polio Scare Days! If my family decided to visit relatives on Sunday afternoon, my mother wouldn’t allow my dad to drive through any towns that had a polio victim. The Salk vaccine was a blessing for the country and today’s research is light years ahead of those in the 50’s.

RA'd for explicit buttwiping details.

Mar 10, 2020, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Child hood diseases/terrors ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 12:08 PM

I’m 57, caught the very end of Dr’s making house calls. Never happened again after I was 7 years old.

My take on the hysteria goes beyond the latest “flavor of the month” or year over reaction. It’s simple. We’re being sold FEAR!!!! FEAR, 24/7/365!!!! I AIN’T BUYING!!! I reject the fear mongers at every turn. There is what I deal with and what I don’t deal with and fear plays no part in the equation.

Mar 10, 2020, 12:14 PM

This “scare”has become so unbelievable that you can’t buy a bottle of hand sanitizer anywhere,

Mar 10, 2020, 12:29 PM

I’ll stick with soap. It’s older than the Bible.

Mar 10, 2020, 1:02 PM

My one house call of memory the Dr gave me a shot. So no house calls

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 2:07 PM

Believe it or not, I remember that Dr’s name from 1970. Dr. Imamura (Japanese). I was 7. Only time I ever met him. He told my parents that my luekocyte cell count was really high. They looked up luekocyte and apparently it was pretty close to luekemia in the dictionary. Scared the crap out of my parents. Silly but true. I was 7, so I skipped over the step of being scared, cuz I had forts in the woods that needed attention.

when it started there was a lot of unknown

Mar 10, 2020, 1:09 PM

At it seemed like it had the danger of getting really bad. Now its pretty clear that it wont get too bad certainly far less dangereous than diseases we has ve had in the past. Cases will increase in the next couple of weeks and then taper off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Mom is a retired RN and worked at the Health Department

Mar 10, 2020, 1:11 PM

when I was a child. I distinctly remember getting every vaccine known to man. However, I did get chicken pox and measles. And, I contracted shingles about 10 years ago. Very happy we caught it early and Valtrex helped clear it up quickly. I am in line to get the new shingles vaccine.

But, my best memory was going to work with my Mom when the help was not able to make it, and the backup sitter was unavailable. I sneaked around the office and went through several of those sugar cubes during the day. Now, I have blood sugar issues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Mar 10, 2020, 1:58 PM

I was a polio pioneer back in the 50s,3rd grade I think.we took a series of three shots in the arm(salk vaccine).the good news was we got the day off from school work which was always a good thing.parents had to give permission,and all in my class did.mom was always worried about polio and constantly preached about keeping your feet warm and dry.there was a supposed connection to the virus.not always an easy thing for a young boy to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 10, 2020, 2:10 PM

And no one has even mentioned that admonition from your Mother. "Wear clean underwear. You may get hurt and have to go to the doctor's office or the hospital".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 2:14 PM

They wouldn’t have ever noticed my underwear, cuz I was covered from head to toe in Red Mud. I took more whoopin’s from Red Mud, than all my other whoopin’s combined.

Mar 10, 2020, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Child hood diseases/terrors ]

yeah.i remember that one too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 10, 2020, 2:56 PM

In our youngster days, our parents would expose the well kids to
the ones with measles, chickenpox, etc so it could work its way
through the kids. No quarintine.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 3:49 PM

my childhood terror was getting stuck married to an ugly girl! Whew I'm glad I hit the lotto on that one!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic