Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CFP selection idea
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

CFP selection idea

Oct 21, 2019, 3:08 PM

Should the prior year College Footfall Champion get an automatic bid to the following year playoff?

I know for a lot of fans, a team is the champion until they lose in the playoff the following season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's ridiculous

Oct 21, 2019, 3:13 PM

if my team wins the natty, but the next year goes 2-9, there's no way they should go.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: CFP selection idea

Oct 21, 2019, 3:17 PM

The selection committee uses different criteria in their picks
than the AP poll does. The AP uses voodoo analysis. The coach's
poll is more in line with reality than the AP.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't think of any sport which operates this way

Oct 21, 2019, 3:22 PM

The closest I can think of would be golf with tournament winners getting an automatic invitation to the same tournament the next year without regard to performance between.

But the Super Bowl, World Series, NCAA Tournament, College World Series, World Cup, NBA Finals, and Stanley Cup champions all have to earn their way back into the playoffs for the next iteration.

As well they should.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 3:41 PM

I feel the OP is being sarcastic in response to fans thinking we should stay at #1 until we lose. I certainly don't think a champion should be in the next season no matter what, and I also don't think a defending champion should be ranked #1 no matter what. However, I do think a defending champion should be in the CFP no matter what if they're unbeaten. You should get a chance to defend your title, and IMO nobody has taken that title away from a them until that champion losses a game whether that game is in the CFP or the regular season.

Oct 21, 2019, 4:26 PM

The reason I ask is because many on the forum believe that we should be ranked #1 throughout the season based on the prior season championship.

If that is the genuine feeling of college football fans, maybe there should be an automatic bid.

Not happy about the coaches / team buying in

Oct 21, 2019, 3:44 PM

that Clemson has to go undefeated to get into the Playoffs.

There are a lot of scenarios where a 1-loss Clemson team would still deserve to get in.

The media has pushed the narrative that Clemson must be undefeated or else.

That's Bull hockey.

Lots of football to be played. Lots of stuff can happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not happy about the coaches / team buying in

Oct 21, 2019, 4:15 PM

A 1-loss Clemson has gone before, and even won the CFP with a regular season loss to a middle-of-the-pack team. But we had the advantage those years of plenty of wins against really good teams.

A 1-loss Clemson in this year's ACC means we lost to a *bad* team. And like UGA, their loss to SCAR was a loss against a *bad* team and wins over Vanderbuilt and Tennessee won't overcome that. There's no really good teams on the schedule for Clemson to prove that a loss was a fluke--that we could beat a really good team (preferably multiple really good teams).

So long as Dabo and the guys keep doing their jobs and winning the games they should win, they'll be undefeated again at the end of the season. There's no way the committee ignores an undefeated reigning national champion, no matter how bad the ACC is in an off year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope.***

Oct 21, 2019, 4:28 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic