Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can somebody coherently explain
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Can somebody coherently explain

Apr 3, 2021, 10:27 AM

How the new Georgia voting bill is suppressing African American votes?

It seems to me that powerful politicians lied, the media pushed the lie, and the MLB moved the all star game based on a lie.

The sad part is that moving the game is only going to punish small business and hourly workers. Sad.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy peasy

Apr 3, 2021, 10:35 AM

Cant give water to people in line to vote
African Americans wait in line to vote
Therefore no water
Thus, suppressing the voters

HTHIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Easy peasy

Apr 3, 2021, 10:48 AM

fluffhead said:

Cant give water to people in line to vote
African Americans wait in line to vote
Therefore no water
Thus, suppressing the voters

HTHIA

I’m pretty sure you are being sarcastic. You never know these days.

However all the bill does is prohibit volunteers from passing out food and drink. Poll workers can still distribute water and self service water stations are not prohibited.

Can also vote on Sunday, but not get a Chik-fil-a sammy.***

Apr 3, 2021, 11:02 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because it’s in a critical 50/50 state

Apr 3, 2021, 11:25 AM

Re: Can somebody coherently explain

Apr 3, 2021, 11:30 AM

Mt.

I won't go over everything, but here is an excerpt that covers absentee ballots, which I think will disproportionally affect people of color.

Big changes to absentee voting

The law makes a number of changes to absentee voting. Notably, it shortens the duration of the absentee voting period and changes the identification requirements for absentee voters.
Under the new law, absentee ballots are allowed to be sent out to voters 29 days before an election, down from the previous 49 days before an election. Voters are allowed to request an absentee ballot a maximum of 78 days before the election, down from 180 days. And the applications have to be received by elections officials no later than 11 days before the election, a reduction from the previous effective deadline of four days before the election.
State and local governments are now prohibited from sending out unsolicited absentee ballot applications. (Because of the pandemic, Raffensperger had applications sent out to all active registered voters for the June 2020 primary.) And third-party groups can face financial penalties if they mail applications to people who have already applied for a ballot.
The law also does away with the signature-matching system Georgia used to use to check the identities of absentee voters. Instead, voters will have to provide their Georgia driver's license number, the number on their state identification card, or the last four digits of their Social Security number. If they don't have any of that, they can provide one of several alternative forms of identification, such as a copy of a utility bill, bank statement or government check. Advocates of the change say that this identification system is more precise than subjective attempts to try to match handwriting, while critics note that the new requirements are disproportionately likely to burden Black voters.

This is from this CNN fact check article which covers some of the opther changes that the bill contains.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/31/politics/fact-check-georgia-voting-bill-law-elections-explained/index.html

Too bad

Apr 3, 2021, 11:37 AM

I’m not trying to argue or be obtuse here

Apr 3, 2021, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Can somebody coherently explain ]

There are five different methods of showing an “ID” and I don’t understand how that effects black people more than anyone else.

Apr 3, 2021, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Can somebody coherently explain ]

Mt.

I won't go over everything, but here is an excerpt that covers absentee ballots, which I think will disproportionally affect people of color.

Big changes to absentee voting

The law makes a number of changes to absentee voting. Notably, it shortens the duration of the absentee voting period and changes the identification requirements for absentee voters.
Under the new law, absentee ballots are allowed to be sent out to voters 29 days before an election, down from the previous 49 days before an election. Voters are allowed to request an absentee ballot a maximum of 78 days before the election, down from 180 days. And the applications have to be received by elections officials no later than 11 days before the election, a reduction from the previous effective deadline of four days before the election.
State and local governments are now prohibited from sending out unsolicited absentee ballot applications. (Because of the pandemic, Raffensperger had applications sent out to all active registered voters for the June 2020 primary.) And third-party groups can face financial penalties if they mail applications to people who have already applied for a ballot.
The law also does away with the signature-matching system Georgia used to use to check the identities of absentee voters. Instead, voters will have to provide their Georgia driver's license number, the number on their state identification card, or the last four digits of their Social Security number. If they don't have any of that, they can provide one of several alternative forms of identification, such as a copy of a utility bill, bank statement or government check. Advocates of the change say that this identification system is more precise than subjective attempts to try to match handwriting, while critics note that the new requirements are disproportionately likely to burden Black voters.

This is from this CNN fact check article which covers some of the opther changes that the bill contains.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/31/politics/fact-check-georgia-voting-bill-law-elections-explained/index.html

Most everything you mentioned is common sense voting laws.

Reducing the number of days to request absentee ballots doesn’t disproportionally affect any race of people. Unless you are saying African Americans need more time than white people because of what? Sounds kinda racist to think that way IMO.

Apr 4, 2021, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Can somebody coherently explain ]

You need to go direct to the bill/law and cite that. Not a CNN fact check article for goodness sake.

Apr 4, 2021, 7:26 PM

NC

after you

Somewhere in the bill it provides a way for folks to get a

Apr 4, 2021, 5:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Can somebody coherently explain ]

free ID that can be used for voting. It seemed like it was a "come to us and we'll help you prove that you are who you say you are" way to get a voter ID.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is no different than NC and the HB1 bathroom bill.

Apr 3, 2021, 11:41 AM

Here we are in 2021 under the exact same rules as HB1 was going to require, but no one seems upset. I’m sure it has nothing to do with that controversy helping get (R) Governor McCrory out and (D) Roy Cooper in.

It worked here so why not try again?

null

Perception = Reality***

Apr 3, 2021, 9:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2021, 9:23 AM

Same thing happened with the NC "bathroom law" a few years back.

Just another example how the MSM can get any of the sheep to believe anything.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic