Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can our Defense stop ND consistently in the rematch?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Can our Defense stop ND consistently in the rematch?

Dec 8, 2020, 10:18 AM

Forcing 3 and outs. And giving ND a long field is what’s gonna beat ND. The Defense will have to win this game for us this time. Qb and offense was tremendous in our first meeting. We will score 35-42 on ND can our Defense get ND off the field? If we can hold ND under 31 then I like our chances to win!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can our Defense stop ND consistently in the rematch?

Dec 8, 2020, 10:30 AM

Our Defense gave up 23 points in regulation last game ...

Scoop and score fumble - 7 points
Another fumble - 3 points

If we hold onto the football we’d have won the game..

If we don’t turn over the ball in the 2nd game we win...
Other factors will decide margin of victory ...

Dec 8, 2020, 10:31 AM

The first adjustment we have to make it no turnovers.

ND got 10 easy points off of turnovers in the last game.

Our defense played well enough to win in the last game in the middle 58 minutes.

It was the first minute and the last minute that gave up 14 points and eventually the game.

I agree - we've got to contain them so they..........

Dec 8, 2020, 10:31 AM

don't have good field position. And we've got to contain Book so he can't get outside the pocket to run or pass. We seemed to over-pursue him a lot in the 1st game with them.

But with our D-linemen back and hopefully Skalski playing our D should look much better. Not to mention, of course, TL being our QB this time.

Do we use a SPY or just Apocablitz every down

Dec 8, 2020, 10:32 AM

?

null

Re: Do we use a SPY or just Apocablitz every down

Dec 8, 2020, 10:38 AM

We may pick our spots with a spy, but I don't think I've ever seen Venables employ a spy for an entire game and form his plan around it.

Re: Do we use a SPY or just Apocablitz every down

Dec 8, 2020, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Do we use a SPY or just Apocablitz every down ]

If you blitz, you better contain and stay in rush lanes. Jones was absent the 1st meeting, so he will help. Like earlier post, if Clemson takes care of the ball, they will win this game by 10+ points. Not to mention, giving Venables 2 weeks to prepare for an opponent that they have already played and knows their tendencies. Tigers in real good shape!!

Dec 8, 2020, 10:36 AM

Defensive Health, particularly Skalski, Davis being back will help. You look back on the first game, the defense allowed the one long run, and got beat deep 1 time late when the safety was out of position, other than that they did not play terribly bad. Turnovers are always key, so if the Tigers can take care of the ball, they should be fine.

uof6c playing nd ?

Dec 8, 2020, 10:42 AM

Dec 8, 2020, 10:50 AM

Honestly the game would have been more lopsided for ND had the defense not kept them out of the end zone and made them kick FG’s. If Clemson can do that ALONG WITH running the ball they they will win. If Clemson doesn’t have luck running the ball regardless of defense, then they won’t win.

Dec 8, 2020, 10:50 AM

ND gave up points as well. Book fumbles in the end zone. They take FGs in the red zone. Mistakes by both teams were essentially a wash. Everyone wants to think that it'll be CU/ND 2, but both teams are now different because of injuries, younger players more experienced, and coaches on both sides rethinking their offensive and defensive strategies. Kelly was blowing smoke. They'll have new wrinkles and so will we.

Dec 8, 2020, 10:55 AM

If we blitz, we better get home. Otherwise, we'll give up huge chunks like we did on Nov.7th.

the difference will have to be hits on the QB

Dec 8, 2020, 10:57 AM

they have to get to him early and often to get him out of his comfort zone. Start at D line. You can't always lean on Linebackers to do that. We tried against LSU and it didn't work. We need our guys to get through and/or close up the pocket. If it looks early like that pocket is tight and he's got time to pick his targets then its gonna be another shoot out. But if we can somehow make Book work to get throws off then maybe it changes.

Venables has shown over and over that

Dec 8, 2020, 11:01 AM

His halftime adjustments work

Just dont let ND score too much in the first half

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 11:03 AM

I don't expect a lot of 3 and out from BV against ND - ND will move the chains rather than flame out as their offense is set to get 4-5 yards consistantly. I expect the bend-dont-break D will be in mind. What we need to be is better at holding them once they get past the 30.

Next, our D corrected itself by the 2nd half. We came out of the gate a bit shaky and worse, offensive kinks spotted ND a few points. That was just because of new personnel and reps midway in a season vs a senior laden, good opponent. I do not expect TL and Co to spot ND three extra possessions and a scoop and score.

Now, it seems like a kink in our overall team that we start off sluggish on D to begin the game, but that gets reigned in.

We were one stop at the end of the game from having beaten ND with DJ getting only 10 days of prep.

Dec 8, 2020, 12:16 PM

Skalski is the key - and I am NOT sure he will be healthy.

Dec 8, 2020, 12:28 PM

I don’t remember ND scoring at all in the second half except that last drive to tie the game. Plus we gave them a free 10 points. And they had a homerun play on us the first drive of the game for them.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic