Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can anyone remember a Clemson back who was as fast as ETN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

Can anyone remember a Clemson back who was as fast as ETN

Nov 19, 2017, 10:20 PM

In the first 5 yds after he gets the ball? i cant believe how quick he gets to the 2nd level. If u look at some of the opposing LBs after he hits the whole they almost looked confused like a "#####" kind of look. Spiller was excellent at making the first man miss and in open space but when i watch ETN when he has a open whole it to hit its amazing how fast his first steps are. Can we compare him to any former tiger RB? bc i sure i cant off the top of my head

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terry Allen***

Nov 19, 2017, 10:22 PM

Nice.***

Nov 19, 2017, 10:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Terry Allen***

Nov 19, 2017, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Terry Allen*** ]

yes!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: T.A. was fast, but so is ETN***

Nov 19, 2017, 10:44 PM

Re: T.A. was fast, but so is ETN***

Nov 19, 2017, 10:52 PM

Etienne 40 time 4.43

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/combine/_/id/220471/travis-etienne

Nov 20, 2017, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Terry Allen*** ]

Yep. Allen was possibly even faster, to be honest. Quickest I've seen in my lifetime.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Absolutely. I watched the '89 SCar game over the summer

Nov 23, 2017, 12:46 AM [ in reply to Terry Allen*** ]

and was blown away seeing how fast TA was to the line of scrimmage. The cameras couldn't keep up with it. He was lightning with thunder heading downhill by the time he reached positive field. No wonder he was an NFL'er for so long. ETN is close already getting to the line as a freshman. And Feast is learning to trust the explosion.

Terry Allen. Cheers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 23, 2017, 6:48 AM [ in reply to Terry Allen*** ]

Yes. Once Terry Allen got to the corner he was up the field for good yardage. I remember in 1989 he ate FSU’s lunch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spiller went from 0 to 100 faster than any Clemson RB I ever

Nov 19, 2017, 10:27 PM

saw. Terry Allen as mentioned above was similar, just not as fast top-end.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Question was first few steps though. ETN accelerates quickly.

Nov 19, 2017, 10:36 PM

Makes defenders look stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

That's exactly what I was talking about.***

Nov 19, 2017, 11:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree

Nov 20, 2017, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Spiller went from 0 to 100 faster than any Clemson RB I ever ]

First 5 yards. First 15 yards. First 50 yards. It's still Spiller. Nothing against ETN but the only 3 people I think of with Spiller in football speed is Daryl Green, Deon Sanders, and Bo Jackson.

Re: Spiller went from 0 to 100 faster than any Clemson RB I ever

Nov 22, 2017, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Spiller went from 0 to 100 faster than any Clemson RB I ever ]

about the speed getting to the second level. I actually think ETN is better than Spiller/Ellington at seeing the whole and getting through in unbelievable amount of speed. Hes the fastest Clemson RB to hit the second level ive ever seen. ETN doesn't have the moves spiller does when spiller juked everyone out but i would take ETN over Spller when getting to the second level, Spiller in open space or making a defender miss is something we may never see again

Re: Can anyone remember a Clemson back who was as fast as ETN

Nov 19, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quickest I've ever seen.

Nov 19, 2017, 10:32 PM

I can think of 3.

Spiller I get what your saying but Spilled was/is faster. World class speed.

Allen I think he and ETN are similar in speed.

Raymond Priester could move too!

Nov 19, 2017, 10:33 PM

Priester was a TOUGH back but speed wise he isn't in this conversation.

Nov 19, 2017, 10:42 PM

My memory could be going but it seems like I remember him flying down the sideline.

Priester was actually kind of slow. But he had more

Nov 23, 2017, 12:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Can anyone remember a Clemson back who was as fast as ETN ]

"balance" than any player I've seen. He could be hit twice and keep trucking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ray Priester?? Ray wasn't outrun the db's fast...problem

Nov 23, 2017, 6:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Can anyone remember a Clemson back who was as fast as ETN ]

was, when Ray DID hit his top end speed, nobody wanted to try and tackle him

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watch some old Oklahoma State videos with Barry Sanders

Nov 19, 2017, 10:31 PM

and tell me if you see A LOT of similarities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's a hole lot of truth in that.***

Nov 19, 2017, 10:34 PM

It takes a hole lot of speed to hit the whole that fast.***

Nov 19, 2017, 11:04 PM

Nov 19, 2017, 10:35 PM

Ellington was the best, in a long time, at finding a crease and getting to the second level. Ellington s field vision was uncanny.

Top end speed and working the holes in the line are two different things. ETN seems to have the combo of vision and great top end speed

Message was edited by: MackDaddy®

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Nov 23, 2017, 10:14 AM

I agree. Ellington gets little credit but was very fast and hit the holes quickly like ETN. I recall folks saying "Wish Spiller would just hit the holes and go as quickly as Ellington" Spiller was just a different type runner and could make defenders loose their jock straps with his moves and quickness. ETN is fun to watch and going to be a great one!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2017, 10:40 PM

Spiller didn’t have an O line like this one or he’d be the only one in this conversation. ETN reminds me more of Ronald Williams (pre- knee injury) than any of these others. Also a bigger Warrick Dunn comes to mind

Nov 19, 2017, 10:49 PM

That dude is some kind of special. Very comparable to Spiller in speed and quickness (which in like 1 in billion). But, he great balance, and is much more difficult to bring down. I never thought I would say it, but he may be better than Spiller. Therefore arguably, I think he has the potential to be the greatest back we have ever had.

Currently, I just don't think he gets the touches he deserves. I'm hoping that changes.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I may quote Coach Ford, "He's a Terry-type Allen back."**

Nov 19, 2017, 10:59 PM

I remember Allen being super durable, super hands, but not

Nov 19, 2017, 11:01 PM

outstanding burst or top end speed. Solid for getting 5 yards off tackle or off a pitch. I've never seen any Clemson back with acceleration like ETN in 40 years of watching Clemson ball that I can remember

Kenny Flowers

Nov 19, 2017, 11:03 PM

ETN is great.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kenny Flowers

Nov 20, 2017, 11:21 AM

Flowers is a great comparison.

Nov 19, 2017, 11:03 PM

Kenny Flowers was not slow.

Nov 19, 2017, 11:09 PM

> In the first 5 yds after he gets the ball? i cant
> believe how quick he gets to the 2nd level. If u look
> at some of the opposing LBs after he hits the whole
> they almost looked confused like a "#####" kind of
> look. Spiller was excellent at making the first man
> miss and in open space but when i watch ETN when he
> has a open whole it to hit its amazing how fast his
> first steps are. Can we compare him to any former
> tiger RB? bc i sure i cant off the top of my head

The last one was the one we dismissed a few years back(can't remember name)----we have had several faster, Feaster has faster times, but it is obvious that he is not. Years ago Flagler and Flowers were 4.3 guys.All in all I think CJ was the fastest I have seen.

Nov 19, 2017, 11:13 PM

ETN is going to be an incredible back for us! His acceleration and speed is unbelievable. When he hits the hole he is already at top speed and if the defenders don’t take the perfect angle they won’t catch him, which is very exciting. However, we will need to stick with the CJ Fullers and Kelly Bryant for short yardage situations. Sometimes you need to be patient and wait for the Oline to create the push when you’re looking for 1 or 2 yards. But ETN is for sure our home run hitter the next few years! I know everyone thought it was gonna be feaster who brought that feature to our running back corps, but I have yet to see Higgins or Cain catch up to ETN when he is going yard!

Mike Bellamy was fast***

Nov 20, 2017, 12:15 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mike Bellamy was fast***

Nov 20, 2017, 12:15 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mike Bellamy was fast***

Nov 20, 2017, 1:07 AM

Raymond Preister may have been the slowest back to ever gain 1000yds consistently. Tough guy though

Re: Mike Bellamy was fast***

Nov 20, 2017, 1:07 AM [ in reply to Mike Bellamy was fast*** ]

Raymond Preister may have been the slowest back to ever gain 1000yds consistently. Tough guy though

Nov 20, 2017, 12:21 AM

Can we discuss further this “open whole” that you speak of?

No I can't***

Nov 20, 2017, 2:43 AM

Yep, Unique Quickness

Nov 20, 2017, 3:34 AM

The quickness and speed are fantastic. But he doesn't go down easily either, he's a threat until he's down with someone sitting on him. He has that way of bouncing up when he's almost down.

Flagler....Spiller....Allen....& My Goodness That Mike Bellamy ---

Nov 20, 2017, 3:36 AM

Those are the ones with the best burst to the second level of a defense that I've seen along with Etienne.

Nov 20, 2017, 6:22 AM

Ummm, Feaster is faster actually....

Feaster, who has run the 40-yard dash in 4.34 seconds, or Etienne, 4.37 seconds in the 40

This doesn't show upon the field ...

Nov 20, 2017, 10:35 AM

ETN has a quicker first step than Feaster and that's where the value of a RB is most apparent.

I don't know where they would be at the end of side-by-side race of 40 yards, but at hitting the hole and for the first 5 yard or so, ETN is in a class by himself.

Other than Terry Allen,

Nov 20, 2017, 7:52 AM

this goes back to the 60s, but Buddy Gore got through the hole pretty fast... and he could back it up with speed after he got to the second level.

Re: Other than Terry Allen,

Nov 20, 2017, 8:13 AM

I hate to disagree with you, the fastest back I have ever seen was the coots getting back on the bus leaving Clemson last year!!

Ronald williams***

Nov 20, 2017, 8:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Story I heard on Terry Allen...

Nov 20, 2017, 8:46 AM

Terry was highly recruited as a DEFENSIVE BACK by many schools. An assistant coach(I believe it was Billy Ware) promised him that Clemson would try him out at TAILBACK so he signed with Clemson. Danny Ford thought that he had agreed to come as DB and went ballistic at the promise, but agreed to try it to keep Allen. The first play of practice Allen went off tackle and Rodney Williams missed the hand off by two feet. Ford cussed about the "boy not knowing which hole to run in" loudly, but Williams told him that Allen was right and he was so fast to the hole that Rodney couldn't get there. It took quite a while for Rodney to get used to Allen's speed on hand offs. The rest is history.

Both Homer Jordan and Terry Allen were UGA rejects ...

Nov 20, 2017, 10:37 AM

... some of our very best players were Peach State guys that UGA didn't recruit.

Nov 20, 2017, 10:55 AM

Put my vote.. along with many on this thread...
On Terry Allen...

Actually ETN reminds me of Allen both physically and running style... every time I see ETN run... they are about the same size/build ...and just something about the way ETN runs

Nov 23, 2017, 7:42 AM

It's the power ETN hits the hole with his speed that I marvel at. His stride is amazing.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic