Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
California challenges the NCAA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,209

California challenges the NCAA

Sep 10, 2019, 9:07 PM

https://deadspin.com/california-lawmakers-passes-bill-allowing-college-athle-1838001341?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=deadspin_copy&utm_campaign=bottom
I hate to be the one to inform the sponsors of this bill that the state of California has little to no influence in college National Championships. Since 1980 TSofC has zero Nattys in Basketball, 2 Nattys in Baseball, and one Natty in football and one shared Natty in football. Universities East of Texas are the dominant Universities when it comes to College sports.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: California challenges the NCAA

Sep 10, 2019, 9:14 PM

Apparently these folks do not see the unintended consequences of passing this kind of a bill.

Yes, on the surface it makes sense. It’s easy to argue that athletes should have the opportunity to make money off of their signatures and images and so forth. But here’s the problem with this kind of arrangement. What’s to stop a donor from paying an athlete $100,000 for signing a baseball cap? This will quickly escalate into a battle of donors paying players to go to their school. This flies in the face of everything that’s great about college athletics.

Sep 10, 2019, 9:15 PM

If I understand your post correctly you believe a matter of law will be settled based on who won the most championships?

Sep 10, 2019, 9:18 PM

I think he’s suggesting That the NCAA would kick out any university that allows players to be paid for their images, likenesses and signatures. His suggestion is that for the most part schools in California don’t win any NCAA national championship so it won’t really matter when the NCAA kicks them out.

This will be fun to watch

Sep 10, 2019, 9:28 PM

So there was this kicker that played for some smallish school (maybe FAU) that had a youtube channel talking about kicking a football. He earned whatever youtubers earn from followers/view/likes. They pulled his scholarship because he was essentially making money. That seems excessive to me, but it makes sense.

If collegiate athletes were able to get sponsorship dollars, how long do you think it would take for big money boosters to come in and say "we're going to legally pay you $1M to do a 30 second advertising spot for my company every year for 3 straight years!"

Corruption would be rampant. My guess is Oregon would be relevant again, with Nike paying players out in the open (instead of in the shadows like they do today).

I doubt this sees the light of day in California, as it would immediately disqualify 100% of the colleges in the state from competing in NCAA events. So, the kids could get paid, but never compete for a championship.

Why not just pressure the NFL to allow 18 year old kids to enter the NFL draft? That's what this is really about. The NFL made a business decision that protects the health of athletes too physically immature to survive the punishment of the NFL. And, people are mad at colleges for not paying players? Horseradish! Don't want to play for free (or a scholarship), then go work at McDonald's for 3 years and grumble to everyone in the drive-thru that you're only there because the NFL is oppressing you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU for you, well said

Sep 10, 2019, 9:46 PM

T

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2019, 10:24 PM

As it sounds like it is written, I can't see it making it through the courts. Not allowing private schools to revoke a scholarship to comply with NCAA rules and benefit from tournament and bowl revenue. They can screw themselves however they want to with the state schools. I doubt that making rules that hurt Stanford will fly.

Sep 10, 2019, 10:31 PM

The PAC-12, largely driven by California schools, have led the NCAA in championships for 13 consecutive years and counting. Not so hot lately in the revenue sports, granted. But to say only universities east of Texas are dominant in college sports is highly inaccurate.

https://pac-12.com/article/2018/06/29/pac-12-leads-nation-ncaa-championships-13th-year-row

We got to shut that state up.

Sep 11, 2019, 6:04 AM

California lawmakers are So cunningly divisive and perverted

Interesting that the article thinks the legislation wouldn’t overturn a veto

Sep 11, 2019, 6:43 AM

to a bill that they passed 72-0 and 39-5. They seems absurd. This should be a done deal.

If this did happen, what next? Does the PAC12 dissolve? Surely no California school can continue to participate in the NCAA, right? They would be legally obligated to allow rule-breaking. So the PAC12 would lose Southern Cal, UCLA, Cal and Stanford?

Or does it go the other way? Does the NCAA cave?

null

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,209
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic