Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Would pass to Ross be a catch if...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Would pass to Ross be a catch if...

Dec 30, 2019, 8:52 AM

If it was in the end zone for a td?? I think absolutely not. He didn't maintain control long enough. That's the easiest analysis right there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two seconds after ball hits hands the ball is on the ground.

Dec 30, 2019, 9:00 AM

There is no way that was a completion. It's history now and I'm not dwelling on it any longer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would pass to Ross be a catch if...

Dec 30, 2019, 9:01 AM

Yes for sure. It was a catch.

Dec 30, 2019, 9:10 AM

No catch

Dec 30, 2019, 10:03 AM

If it was a catch, wouldn’t it be ruled dead where forward progress was stopped ? Ross was moved back a couple yards afterwards.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 9:03 AM

Ross never tucked or brought the ball into his body. So it was never secure. He also never made a move upfield. It was an emotional play, I get it. But right, is right.

Go Tigers

Dec 30, 2019, 9:14 AM

No it wouldn't. Also, how many times have we seen a receiver catch the ball on the sideline, get his foot down and lose the ball when he hits the ground? A catch is not a single element action. You have to have possession, be in bounds, not juggle the ball, and if your going to the ground maintain possession. If your not going to the ground you have to perform a football move like advancing the ball or at least tucking it away.

Dec 30, 2019, 9:16 AM

50:50 opinion call but my gut tells me the refs on field thought it was incomplete but let it play out so that replay could get it right. Most Ohio State fans say at a minimum you can't overturn the call on the field but the call on the field was made based on the assumption that replay could get the ball right. Yes he took 3 steps after the ball was in his hands but he was engaged with a defender who drove him back and was not able to maintain the catch through contact for more than second.

Dec 30, 2019, 9:16 AM

They sure called worse than that a catch for Maryland in the endzone to win back in '85!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2019, 9:39 AM

It comes down to whether or not you consider a tuck attempt to be a "football move." He attempted to tuck the ball, the defender's arm blocked him, and the ball never moved until after he had taken a 3rd step and his hands were coming back up. So the defender essentially prevented the football move, but Ross definitely attempted to make one. In my opinion, the replay was inconclusive which should lead to a "play stands as called" situation. But in this case, refs are taught to automatically rule it a fumble so that they don't incorrectly blow a play dead. So do you still apply the inconclusive rule? I know I'd be upset if I was on the other side. Points-wise it ended up being a wash, because we punted, traded possessions, then OSU scored again anyway, but that was a massive momentum swing.

If Ross had completed the catch to the ground

Dec 30, 2019, 10:19 AM

It would have been returned to the 31 yard line on forward progress. Not the 29 or wherever he was tackled. Why? Because he had not established player control to stop and turn or to run in any direction or make any other football move. The ball came loose before any of this could happen.

Bucknuts didn't seem to have an issue with the

Dec 30, 2019, 10:31 AM

"pass interference" call against Miami in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. Seems like they all think it was the right call and that Miami had ample opportunity to stop them or score throughout the game. ??

Not by NFL rules

Dec 30, 2019, 10:37 AM

Not sure what NCAA rule. In NFL, player must make a football move with the ball. That is three steps.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it was a catch...

Dec 30, 2019, 10:43 AM

When they showed the replay, I thought it was a catch...but then I remembered there was a rule that seems to contradict my thoughts on a completion every time it is close like this. The announcers start talking about a "football move" and they start saying they don't think it was a catch.

I've seen it multiple times and really hoped it would prove me wrong again.

It did.

Just a fan of the game that have been left shaking my head after this exact call has been made on multiple occasions and happy it finally worked in our favor.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic