Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 84
| visibility 1

Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we

Mar 2, 2018, 11:33 AM

lost other than the game vs the eventual National Champions was the one he was hurt and couldn't finish. In my opinion he deserves the right to lead the team in 2018 until it is obvious he's not the best man for the job on this team. The way our receivers were being interfered with at times vs Bama I'm not certain any qb/receiver combination could've made that game much better. But again, just stating my humble opinion. I enjoy reading those with other ideas and opinions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you meant

Mar 2, 2018, 11:45 AM

to say our Austin Bryant and our incredible defense right?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we

Mar 2, 2018, 11:50 AM

Our D carried us all year and if not for a strong defense we would not have been in the CFP

Mar 2, 2018, 12:00 PM

33.3 ppg is not being carried by a D. Our O was good and our D was great.

Mar 2, 2018, 12:33 PM

Take Kent St and the Citadel out and then do the math

Mar 2, 2018, 12:44 PM

Don’t even bother trying to argue anything about KB to cmoneytiger. He literally said KB was one of the top 5 qbs in all of college football.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:00 PM

Well we saw what happened when we didn't have him. He was a big part in leading us to the cfp. Only 3 other qbs did that. Winning is the most important stat.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:05 PM

So the other 3 qbs are also top 5 college qbs?

Mar 2, 2018, 1:16 PM

Depends on what you mean by top qbs. Not top NFL potential. I would rather have KB over Rosen all day.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:18 PM

Good lord!

Mar 2, 2018, 1:21 PM

So you would rather have had Rosen with our o?

yes, he can throw it to the strength of our Offense, the WRs***

Mar 2, 2018, 1:22 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yes, he can throw it to the strength of our Offense, the WRs***

Mar 2, 2018, 1:35 PM

KB can as well. Our strength was running the ball last year. This year we should be better at WR tho with Overton and Higgins both having another year under their belt. My the best QB win. I would bet KB will be starting come September.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:38 PM

Just saying, Rosen's stats far exceed Bryant's with the exception of completion %, and that's just a 3% difference.

yeah, but other than that***

Mar 2, 2018, 1:44 PM

To add on to that when we went to the nattys our offense was

Mar 2, 2018, 1:46 PM

much more passing oriented, so it only makes sense.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: yes, he can throw it to the strength of our Offense, the WRs*** ]

Running was the strength of our team because it had to be, because KB couldn’t consistently find open targets (unless they were at the los). You see where that got us against a team that could shut down the run and short passes. Bama has a field day.

Why is that so hard to grasp?***

Mar 2, 2018, 1:44 PM

Even the coaches admitted we couldn't effectively throw the

Mar 2, 2018, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Re: yes, he can throw it to the strength of our Offense, the WRs*** ]

ball, but the strength of our O will be WRs as long as 3 of our 4 top Offensive minds are ex WRs

Mar 2, 2018, 3:02 PM [ in reply to yes, he can throw it to the strength of our Offense, the WRs*** ]

I'm not sure I would argue that is the strength of our offense - especially last year. Our strength was the O-line and RBs.

Mar 2, 2018, 3:11 PM

And why was that?

We had 200 rushing yards/game last year

Mar 2, 2018, 3:33 PM

The 2017 O-line were absolute road-graders in the run game, and Feaster/Etienne is as good a RB combo as there was in the ACC.

I think that group was a bigger strength than Deon Cain as our WR1 and Milan Richard as our TE1.

Re: We had 200 rushing yards/game last year

Mar 2, 2018, 4:45 PM

That's true, but we only ran for .4 more ypc and ran it more last year. That would signify leaning more on a defense and controlling games with the run game considering our entire offensive identity changed from the previous two seasons.

Feaster and Etienne combined for 204 carries, KB had 197, so it certainly wasn't that we were relying on those two, and I would argue that FSU and BC had better RB combos than we did.

Our WR talent as a whole was still better than our RB talent, regardless of who the #1's were.

Gonna have to agree to disagree

Mar 5, 2018, 11:18 AM

Our #1 receiving target had less than 700 yards. I think our RBs/OL were more of a strength.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

Ummmm yeah. You do realize HJ and TL are much closer qbs to Rosen than they are to KB right? They are more mobile than Rosen, but will be similar to him passing the ball. I’m not sure what you’re arguing here.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:32 PM

I'm not arguing I asked a question lol. I would rather have KB start for us. Whoever starts I will pull for tho. I won't complain and beg for the back up to take over. Our coaches know what they are doing.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:37 PM

I’ve never once called for the backup to play. Not once. I knew KB was the best we had last year, sadly. But it’s different this year. We have hopefully another once in a generation talent on campus and HJ is a year older. I just don’t see how one of them could be any worse than KB was last year. But if KB is able to keep the job all year, obviously he is still the best we have, which would be depressing.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:41 PM

How in the world is having a QB that went 12-1 in games that he finished depressing? I just don't understand you lol. I can understand if you think other qbs are better but do not act like the team carried kb. We lost to Cuse without him.

I think because it's hard to picture us winning the NC without either Bryant improving a good deal, or another QB playing. Let's be honest, even with Watson playing out of his mind, we still went 1-1 against Bama, and had to score with 2 seconds left to beat them. It takes a well rounded game to beat Bama, and that involves a QB making quick smart decisions, and accurate passes.

Bryant was not only limited in throwing the deep ball, but he seemed to struggle with pocket presence, and seeing open receivers down the field. The pocket presence IMO is why Watson had more yards per carry than Bryant, even though most would agree that Bryant is faster. I'm honestly not trying to hate on the guy, but even the conservative play calling should tell you that even the coaches realize he has limitations.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:49 PM

The conservative play calling is definitely a tell. I also mentioned his struggles with making the correct read on the read option plays and was told that maybe some of those were designed plays. Why would you limit a play if a QB can make a read and have a greater chance of a successful play?

Again, not hating on the kid and would love to see him succeed and lead us to a NC, but from what we've seen thus far that won't be possible.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:53 PM

How is it not possible from what we have seen. We were in the game with Bama and they had a game changing INT.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:06 PM

We were in the game because of our defense. Our first three drives were 3 and outs with Bryant going 2 for 5 for 0 yards and running twice for -3 yards. We got it together on the next drive and kicked a field goal.

After the half our defense recovers a fumble and from the Alabama 20 we go: KB run for -2, KB pass to Feaster for -3, KB run for no gain and field goal.

Our defense played out of their minds that game, and when they gave KB and our offense an opportunity to tie the game and seize all momentum we choked.

So yes, based on what we've seen thus far KB would not be able to beat Alabama.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

Haha do you think we were in that game because of our offense?

Mar 2, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

That’s exactly what I meant. You said it better than I did.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

I agree he is not as good as DW ofcourse but I think he will improve on things like pocket pressense and I believe we can win it all with KB under center.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

It’s hilarious you think the defense didn’t have everything to do with the success of the team last year. I’ve already explained it to you many times, the defense absolutely carried an average offense last year. The Syracuse game was a fluke game, just like putt the year before.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:51 PM

The D was a big part of it ofcourse but our O was not horrible. We went 200 rushing and 200 passing in almost every game.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:58 PM

As a team we averaged about 75 yards less per game this year than in 2016, rushing went up 25 and passing went down nearly 100.

That's the main issue fans see with our offensive scheme last year, it was set up to lean on the defense.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

I never said the offense was horrible. I said they were average. They did just enough to complement our outstanding defense, which is why we went 12-2.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:07 PM

Yes because we had a good O and a great D. Our D didn't carry us.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:10 PM

Hahaha. Ok guy.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:12 PM

You don't go 12-1 and make the playoffs being carried by one half of the ball. Sorry but it doesn't happen. Yes the D was better than the O but to say it carried the team is ridiculous.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:14 PM

It most certainly does happen, another fine example was Bama.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:32 PM

You mean the Bama team that averaged 37 ppg and 444 ypg?

Mar 2, 2018, 2:59 PM

Yup, those are comparable numbers to ours this year. The statement was going 12-1 and making the playoffs. Both Bama and us did so with comparable numbers, in the playoffs both team's offenses struggled mightily, until Bama put in a passing QB and their offense was instantly better.

You can't tell me that you think Bama had a great offense last year with Hurts as QB. That's simply laughable.

Mar 2, 2018, 5:13 PM

Great no but 37 points and 444 yards is dang good. That is 13th in ppg we were 40th. 13th is dang good and 40th is no bad. That is not a D carrying an O when your O is top 50 in scoring. Now if we were like 75th or below I could maybe see your argument.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

Sure guy.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

You do when FSU has the biggest hiccup in their several decades of history in the ACC while losing their star QB game 1 for the season, and even then, our QB can't score one TD on them without it being after a fumble on the opponent's 20 yard line (a 1 yd rush at that). ;) I'm glad you think we'll get those breaks every year.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

Let's not forget in the Pitt game DW4 had 3 costly turnovers, on our first drive in their red zone and on our second to last drive on the 3 yard line when we were up 8. That one was returned 70 yards, if we don't turn it over there we win that game.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:01 PM

I was talking about how our defense played in those game. They were just off.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:10 PM

Yeah, I agree the defenses were a bit off, but the Pitt game we dominated all stats minus the turnovers.

In the Cuse game our offense was dominated and the issue was simply moving the ball.

My point is the offenses in both of those games would make it hard for any defense to overcome, be it turnovers or lack of being able to move the ball.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:17 PM

Gotcha. Agree.

Mar 2, 2018, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

We scored 28 or more 8 of those games. Take those games out of our D's ppg and it is not as good. Our O did not get carried by our d. We had a great team all around.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:07 PM

Hahaha what? What does that even mean?

Mar 2, 2018, 1:17 PM

It means without a good O our D is not as good. Did you watch the Cuse game?

Mar 2, 2018, 1:22 PM

That we just one game. The d was off from the start of that game til the finish. Our offense was horrible against bama, but our d held them to a season low in yardage and played great. The offense this year was average. They did just enough to get by. A lot of that was due to qb play. Sorry if you can’t see that without our top 5 defense, we don’t sniff the playoffs.

The Bama game was about to change and the int happened. Most of the time you need a really good D to make the playoffs unless you wanna be like Oklahoma. Do you not think KB will improve from his first year starting?

Mar 2, 2018, 1:56 PM

How can you say the bama game was about to change when they shut us down the whole game except for literally 2 drives? The drive when that interception happened and the one at the end of the game where we didn’t even score were the only sustained drives we had. They demolished us offensively.

I hope he improves. He’s a great kid, I just don’t see it happening. If he does, great. I’ll be stoked.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:58 PM

because we were down 4 and driving. You could feel the momentum changing. Ofcourse nobody knows what would have happened

Mar 2, 2018, 2:05 PM

We had plenty of chances to score after that, because of our defense shutting them down, but could do absolutely nothing. Just another example of our defense carrying the team. Sure that int sucked, but it’s not what determines the game.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:28 PM

Yes the pick six happened our next drive and it was over. That one play changed the game imo.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

He had a huge chance to change the momentum after the half when we recovered a fumble, instead 3 and out and kick a field goal to be down 4.

This statement is essentially true

Mar 2, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

"if not for a strong defense we would not have been in the CFP"

but that is true of almost every team to ever make the CFP. There's a reason "defense wins championships" is popularly held adage.

But to answer your other question, throwing out Kent St and Citadel, we scored right at 27 pts/game. Not exactly horrible, but folks can draw whatever conclusions they want from that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This statement is essentially true

Mar 2, 2018, 1:09 PM

This is where I think the numbers don't always tell the full story. First let me say that I don't consider myself to be a Bryant "hater" and I wouldn't completely dismiss what he did last year, or count him out for this season.

However, let's take a deeper look at a few games against defenses that were at least solid.

-Auburn, we won 14-6

-Wake, we won 28-14, and Bryant was in for 21 of those points.

-NC State, we did score 38 points which looks good for Bryant and our offense. However, Bryant was 20/38 for 191 yards, 1 touchdown, 1 INT, and 88 rushing yards for 2 touchdowns. Those numbers aren't horrible, and the rushing numbers are good actually, but they aren't very impressive either. We scored 38 points, but we had a punt return touchdown, an 89 yard rushing touchdown by Feaster, and a touchdown drive of 27 yards off of an NC State turnover.

-FSU, we won 31-14, but Bryant was 20/30 for 151 yards, no touchdowns, and had 60 yards rushing for 1 touchdown. We scored 31 points, but all 4 touchdowns were drives that started on the FSU side of the field, and 3 of the touchdown drives being less than 30 yards total. 2 of the touchdown drives didn't involve Bryant having to throw or run at all, as one was a 1 play drive with a touchdown run by ETN, and the other was a 3 play drive which were all runs by Choice. A 3rd touchdown drive involved 1 pass by Bryant for a completion of 11 yards, and all the other plays were runs by ETN and Feaster.

Mar 2, 2018, 11:54 AM

Two observations . Just looking at KBs numbers alone he jad a great year and at times was fantastic . Statistically it was comparable to what DW4 did the previous 2 seasons and that's a fact . Statistically .

Second observation is that there were some lapses in offensive consistency throughout the season , and that isn't exactly a knock on KB but rather it is what I feel was an overall appearance that we'd stagnated at times ..maybe became a little predictable .

I agree , KB should be the starter all things being equal because he's been there and seen the enemy . Nobody knows more than he that he'll need to play better for us to get to that mountain top again ...and I have a feeling he's our starter at the base camp .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 2, 2018, 12:28 PM

First off, KB was solid last year, and definitely deserves first shot at the starting job this year. That said, it's a little crazy to say his statistics as a qb were comparable to DW4.

Passing yards:
Watson 2015 - 4109
Watson 2016 - 4593
Bryant 2017 - 2802

(Edit: I forgot completion %)
Completion %:
Watson 2015 - 67.8
Watson 2016 - 67.0
Bryant 2017 - 65.8

Yards per Attempt:
Watson 2015 - 8.6
Watson 2016 - 8.0
Bryant 2017 - 7.0

TD Passes:
Watson 2015 - 35
Watson 2016 - 41
Bryant 2017 - 13

Interceptions:
Watson 2015 - 13 (on 491 passes, 1 per 37.8 passes)
Watson 2016 - 17 (on 579 passes, 1 per 34.1 passes)
Bryant 2017 - 8 (on 398 passes, 1 per 49.8 passes) Very impressive

QB Rating: (sports-reference.com)
Watson 2015 - 156.3
Watson 2016 - 151.1
Bryant 2017 - 131.7

Rushing Yards:
Watson 2015 - 1105
Watson 2016 - 629
Bryant 2017 - 665

Rushing TDs:
Watson 2015 - 12
Watson 2016 - 9
Bryant 2017 - 11

Yards per Carry:
Watson 2015 - 5.3
Watson 2016 - 3.8
Bryant 2017 - 3.5

A lot of people would argue that KB is a much better runner than Deshaun was. The stats would indicate that is not the case. They are very comparable running the ball, and Deshaun was a much better passer. Statistically there is no comparison in passing.

KB did limit mistakes, and managed the games well. That's what he needed to do to, and our defense was able to shut down most of the teams we played. Our defense should be incredible again this year, and I truly believe Kelly Bryant, Hunter Johnson, Chase Brice, or Trevor Lawrence could all lead us back to the playoff if given the opportunity.

I can't wait to see how spring and fall practice play out. We should be in for another fun season! I plan to enjoy it to the fullest while it lasts!

Message was edited by: CU13®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2018, 12:57 PM

Yeah I was a little baffled when I read that too. Maybe he was just talking about rushing stats?

If he was talking about completion %, that means nothing last year. The majority of KBs passes were within 7 yards of the los. Any qb in college can complete those passes. The funny thing is that his completion % was still lower than Watson’s, even though Watson attempted way more downfield passes. Way way more.

Mar 2, 2018, 12:01 PM

Well some on here will never agree with you but I sure do. He lead us his first year starting just about as far as DW did. I think he leads us all the way this year.

Mar 2, 2018, 12:09 PM

Are you counting that FSU without their main QB was probably the worst version of wheels falling off they've been in the last several decades into that equation? You expect that exact luck to repeat the next year, along with another game 1 injury to Francois??

Mar 2, 2018, 12:13 PM

Wasn't Francois the FSU starter in Tallahassee the night we stomped the proverbial mudhole in the Noles ?

Asking for a friend who believes he was that QB .

DB23

Mar 2, 2018, 12:19 PM

Um...I'll go with no.

2016 he was, and I don't call a 37-34 rally win with Watson on our side as mud-stomping.

2017, James Blackman was the QB.

The game we won by 3 in the last 2 minutes? The one where we

Mar 2, 2018, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Bryant carried us to the CFP last season! The only game we ]

scored 17 points in the 4th and won in the last 2 minutes? Where was the mudhole stomped? We were lucky to win it at all

Re: The game we won by 3 in the last 2 minutes? The one where we

Mar 2, 2018, 2:00 PM

^ Bingo

Exactly why I went with no on it. The last time we even beat them with double digits in Tallahassee was 1989...by only 11 points. Any other wins in Tallahasee (which was only 1 in 2006) was by less. So was Francois the QB the last time Clemson "mudstomped" FSU in Tallahassee (if you could even call it that then)?? No....I'd hope he wasn't the QB in 1989.

The last game Francois played vs Clemson, they scored 34 points on an eventual National Championship winning defense, and were in the lead in the 4th quarter. It was a come back win by Watson. The last game Bryant played vs FSU, we only scored 31 points...only up by 3 points into the 4th. Though interestingly...in both games, both QB's only scored once to their record. All other scores were made by the running backs of each team (4 by Dalvin Cook for FSU in 2016, 2 by Etienne and 1 by Choice for Clemson in 2017). Regardless, 34 > 31.

Re: The game we won by 3 in the last 2 minutes? The one where we

Mar 2, 2018, 2:14 PM

Obviously, the other difference is 2016, Francois and Cook came close to beating a National Championship defense. 2017, Clemson's running backs bailed Bryant out of a game that was within 3 points going into the 4th against a team that was 2-6 at the time...and his only score of the game himself was in the 1st quarter after a Clemson recovered FSU fumble at the FSU 20). He, and his friend, might want to keep that in mind when assessing Kelly in that game.

Mar 2, 2018, 12:52 PM

In 2014 we had to endure cole stoudt. Last year was a great year but could’ve been better with a better Qb and go to receiver. This year we have ALL of that and 2 5 star qb’s on the team. Do you really want to limit another year with a great defense? Sorry I hope Kelly gets beat out

Mar 2, 2018, 1:14 PM

I want the best QB to play and that is KB right now. If TL learns the system and shows he is better i will trust the coaches for sure.

Bryant deserves a shot, but the best QB should start.

Mar 2, 2018, 1:40 PM

But know that:
Bryant's passes are NOT crisp.
I don't think our offensive problems against Bama last year were all the result of Bama holding WRs.

Mar 2, 2018, 2:07 PM

Take away the gimme games and he did not do that well especially when you factor in a few things, averaged less than a TD a game and taking away the easy games he averaged I believe 1 every 2... Our defense gave him great field position consistently as well as a lot of chances with the ball. Just because we won doesn't mean it's optimal and finally when we played a very solid defense that was prepared we were highly exposed. I will support the coaches will put out the best QB whether it be him or another but the "he won" argument is misinformed and not accurate as to that being why he's best because he's the only one that really got the opportunity and his supporting cast was absolutely loaded.

People that say "someone deserves" something

Mar 2, 2018, 2:09 PM

based on what they did before instead of present circumstances have a myopic view of the world.

I agree for the most part

Mar 2, 2018, 3:01 PM

But I think anyone would say that we have a higher ceiling with a QB who can run the read-option AND throw it downfield accurately.

KB can absolutely be that guy, but he has to improve his downfield accuracy.

HJ can absolutely be that guy, but he has to improve his running.

TL: who knows?

Mar 2, 2018, 5:30 PM

KB was one of the worst starting QBs in the conference last year. He threw 9 TDs in 12 games vs Power 5 opponents. Those are Georgia Tech, triple option, type numbers. The talent around him led Clemson back to the playoffs. And that talent will likely do the same this year as well. His record as a starter will be an indication on how far ahead Clemson is than everybody else in the ACC, it will have nothing to do with him being a good QB, which he isn’t.

I think the best layers deserves te job.

Mar 5, 2018, 11:20 AM

If it's Bryant than that is great too. I prefer they compete for the job.

Really disagree with you for this reason ...

Mar 5, 2018, 5:58 PM

Best man wins his position and plays ... that's the only way you compete against the best. That's the way Clemson does it at most positions. If KB does not not have to be the best at his position to start, why do other position players? KB was not even third team All-ACC on a 2017 team stacked with WR's. But you're right. We will go undefeated with any QB on the roster in 2018 season until the playoffs, and the decision is all in Dabo's hands.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2018, 6:18 PM

agree.....he has earned the right to be # 1 guy for now.....BUT he has to improve his passing game to hold on to that spot.......TL and HJ both deserve the right to be the # 1 guy IF they continue to improve and earn it........should be one heck of a competition........Go Tigers!!!!!!!

Mar 5, 2018, 6:30 PM

13 passing touchdowns all season! That’s bad. If Bryant can improve his downfield passing game, I’m all for him. Lawrence and Johnson are better for the wide receivers.

Replies: 84
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic