Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Have any if you raised and sold Catalpa Worms?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Have any if you raised and sold Catalpa Worms?

Mar 29, 2021, 4:39 PM

My Grandfather picked them off Catalpa trees outside of Cottageville and sold them for a penny for small ones and two cents for large ones. They were used for catching brim and redbreasts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope but have fished with them before with my dad...

Mar 29, 2021, 4:43 PM

those and yellow jacket larvae. Tore the bream up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you really want to get freaked out . . .

Mar 29, 2021, 5:30 PM

stick your hand in a bag of roaches to fish with. Those little suckers will run up your shirt sleeve in a heart beat!

Re: If you really want to get freaked out . . .

Mar 29, 2021, 5:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiK-51W4SJI

Nope...draw the line at crickets***

Mar 30, 2021, 8:06 AM [ in reply to If you really want to get freaked out . . . ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have any if you raised and sold Catalpa Worms?

Mar 29, 2021, 5:25 PM

No, but as a kid I loved using those worms. The panfish love them and they stay on a hook like glue. Cool worms with their built in suction cups. Thanks for bringing back some good memories. My dad has a few trees, but it is really tough to get the worms on his trees before the birds!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 5:50 PM

My dad had three trees in the back yard. They were fun to climb and light the cigars. Lol. Fished with them when they were on the trees. Great bait, but never sold them. Like a dollar a dozen or two.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 5:58 PM

What with Joe 21's post about burlap/croaker sacks and now the subject of catalpa worms, it's been a very nostalgic day.

My grandparents had several trees and I caught many bream and redbreast with the worms. We never bought or sold them that I recall.

We never used roaches for bait, but I once read an article by a fellow who had grown up in Mississippi, and they used roaches. He wrote that as a kid, they would go to the prison nearby where the prisoners were allowed to sell roaches to fishermen. I suppose prison roaches would catch some pretty tough fish.

Mar 29, 2021, 6:29 PM

This reminded me of another story if you fellows will indulge me.

In my 20s, I lived in Louisiana for a while. One time I went bream fishing with two fellows on Lake Verret, down near Thibodaux. We had plenty of crickets but the bite was so good we ran out while it was still red hot.

Somebody noticed a big nest of tent caterpillars in a cypress tree. We tied the boat to the tree and one of the guys (not me) shinnied up that tree and broke off a branch and dropped the nest in the boat.

Let me tell you, tent caterpillars work just as well as catalpa worms. I've never been more tired of cleaning fish than I was after that trip.

Mar 29, 2021, 6:43 PM

Absolutely great for Brim fishing, and Crappie love them also if they are on the bed, or schooling. I've always cut the head off, and turned them inside out, and they turn snow white when they hit the water!!!! I mean I love to brim fish with them!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 29, 2021, 6:50 PM

Best bait there is. Take a nice size worm, cut him in half and turn him on a match stick, look out for a nice Red Breast!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I, too, used a knife . . .

Mar 29, 2021, 10:32 PM

but Dad simply bit the head off, spat it in the water and turned the worm with the bent end of the hook . . . He’s a much better man than me is sooooo many ways!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I, too, used a knife . . .

Mar 31, 2021, 7:21 PM

Better man than me also Skeet bc, I'm not biting the head off of anything that Crawls or walks. IMO, that is what BUCK made my life time favorite, the Buck, 501 Squire ;)!!! My 501 Buck is just as important to my pants as the zipper, and the front pockets, especially the right side pocket. Never put your pants on, or leave home without it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water moccasins... They make brim churn like piranhas...***

Mar 29, 2021, 9:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brim??***

Mar 29, 2021, 9:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brim??***

Mar 30, 2021, 8:31 AM

"Southern" for any panfish.

He’s done went and got . . .

Mar 30, 2021, 3:00 PM

above his raisins . . . Ain’t he?!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 30, 2021, 3:12 PM

Those caterpillars make THE best catfish bait known to mankind.

Screw Calford.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic