Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Briefly explain how you became to hate the coots:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Briefly explain how you became to hate the coots:

Nov 21, 2019, 3:19 PM

I was taught at birth by my father, a CU grad, to not like them ever, at all, no exceptions. It's worked out well through my 50 years of existence and I'm so thankful that I was not born into a coot family. I hate the emblem, the colors, the town, just all of it. I can't pull for them to win anything and get joy out of their losses. The last six years of the rivalry has been the best of any other time frame, IMO. And I actually respect the coot that thinks the same towards us. Don't fence ride it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Briefly explain how you became to hate the coots:

Nov 21, 2019, 3:24 PM

My first game I remember kicking a Rubber chicken all the way up to the upper deck. I was about 7-8. Ever since then I’ve loathed the chickens.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2019, 3:25 PM

I don't hate handicaped people nor bully them so I ignore most of the coot crazed focus on this board.

Nov 21, 2019, 3:32 PM

Sorry, that should have said "handicapped poultry".

For me it traces back to high school

Nov 21, 2019, 3:29 PM

There were these two particularly mouthy fans in my class. They had the "Bama mouth with a SCAR trophy case" syndrome, and always wanted to talk crap when they had no basis for it. They usually shut up until their team did something, THEN talked. I did my best to ignore them, but they always initiated the trash talk, and the more they got owned, the madder and more determined they got.

There is no crime in being a fan and pulling for your team, but to be so self conscious that you always have to go on the attack is very annoying. These are the Coots (and probably a small minority of fans (who give them all a bad name.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For me it traces back to middle school and high school

Nov 21, 2019, 3:37 PM

as well. My Dad played for the Tigers but just about every classmate I had it seemed was a Coot fan. Very mouthy and arrogant even when nothing to be arrogant about - which was most all the time.

I never rubbed our wins in their faces. But they ALWAYS ragged on me any time they happened to win. Very annoying fan base.

Nov 21, 2019, 3:30 PM

I've attended both schools. I disliked my time at USuCk mostly because they thought their academics were great. But their academics sucked. It was a mass produced education.

Clemson was the opposite experience.

It was easy to start hating them after that.

It all started when I won the race

Nov 21, 2019, 3:33 PM

to the egg

LOL!

Nov 21, 2019, 3:41 PM

She: "I went to New York University".

He (to himself): "Buckle up, boys, WE'RE GOIN' IN!"

(Paraphrased from the movie "Everything you always wanted to know about Sex....)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All it took was attending one game in that cesspool ...

Nov 21, 2019, 3:36 PM

and being around and listening to their trashy mouthy fans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 21, 2019, 3:39 PM

I am a Clemson fan!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2019, 3:44 PM

Here is one - I grew up outside South Carolina (in Richmond Virginia). I was taught early on that South Carolina was hot garbage, a joke and . My father used to tell my brother and I of some college "contest" he oversaw and that the SC entry was so bad, he embarrassed if they were middle schools - let along college kids. Worse, they Coots did not even realize they were by far the worse entry and made ca stink afterwards for not winning (basically a small riot during the award announcement). My father was by far not the most educated person. He worked in the Philip Morris plant to get through college in 10 years (part time and a stint in the Army) thought that South Carolina was without a doubt the worse University in the country

Not only that, but for some reason in the late 90s, there was a trend in VA high schools that wearing a "coots" hat/shirt was a mechanism for getting around aint-"vulgar" dress codes. Then again, this was 1998 so I guess it was something? But my father used to point at the "coot" hats as the fastest way to ID an idiot.

I then attended Clemson from 2006-2012, so yeah, may they never win another anything ever again.

Their fans are the worst. They have a severe inferiority complex.

Nov 21, 2019, 3:56 PM

Their school is inferior. Their chicken logo looks gross.

My first real impression of U5C was in 1987 and their stadium looked like a dungeon full of demons with all that black. It was just ugly. I’m thankful to be born into a Clemson family and not be brainwashed into liking a bad football team with bad traditions and hideous uniforms.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2019, 3:58 PM

Let me tell you. My dad hates the chickens. His dad hated the chickens. And I’m pretty sure my grandpas dad felt the same way. It’s pretty simple

Nov 21, 2019, 7:33 PM

Pre upper deck days...Coots would stand behind the top row, lean on the chain link fence and smoke. Dad would run them off. No other fans tried this. Nasty trouble makers.

Class Mates Dad!

Nov 21, 2019, 7:41 PM

My dad loved him some Clemson Tigers! As a young kid not really caring at the time; I just remember my dad always wanting Clemson to pull it off.
One day at school one of my class mates dads came by the school for "something" not exactly sure why he was there. Maybe a meeting with a teacher; whatever!
Anyway he was an alum of S. Carolina. A well respected practitioner of law in our town. And, "here is the important part" an arrogant A-hole.
He came by and clearly so that other kids could "over-hear him" was talking about how stupid anyone who pulled for Clemson has to be.
I of course, "immediately thought of my dad"! It p'd me off so much I can remember getting upset to the point I wanted to dang near cry. Went home and told my dad and he basically said, "you can't fix stupid"! But, I have hated them ever since!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

from Cub Scout days....

Nov 21, 2019, 8:35 PM

Back in the 1950's, USC, as many universities did, held a Scout Day when members of Cub and Boy Scouts could get in for a minimal fee. I went to Carolina Stadium in Columbia for a couple of days and witnessed the student section throwing empty pint whiskey bottles toward the section where the Scouts were seated. Never liked them from that point on.
I attended USofC in the 1970's and witnessed Gamecock fans throwing sodas and cups of ice at the team as they left the field at halftime in a losing effort to VPI (as Va Tech was known as then). VPI had one of the worst football teams in the country for years but they beat the Gamecocks.
I went to many games during 5 years I lived and worked in Columbia. Never could understand the arrogance and ugliness of the football fans. Sinister, ugly, dark, hate born out of some terrible nature.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Re: Class Mates Dad!

Nov 22, 2019, 5:20 AM [ in reply to Class Mates Dad! ]

My distaste for the gamecocks has progressed over time. In the 1960’s they were part of the ACC. Many of my friends we Carolina fans. It was a friendly rivalry. But with time the SC fans with class faded out of the picture and overtaken by the Aholes, jerks and arrogant fans. In the early 90’s they were still tolerable, even after the 45-0 blow out in 89’. Really it started getting bad when TB took over and hung some high scores on them. That was around the time players like Demetrius Summers from Lexington HS and guys like him started trashing their own facilities. I remember when they broke into the athletic building and stole laptops, posters of themselves and trashed the place. Now most SC fans are jerks who love to spread as many untrue rumors as possible about CLEMSON. The arrogance really took on a new level when Spurrier became the HC. The gamecocks are now locked in a time warp of the few successful Spurrier years. That’s there small piece of college football legacy that coot fans hold onto that makes them in their own minds a legit Competitive SEC program. But they have won 2 titles: 69 ACC Champs and under Spurrier 1 SEC East Champs. After 120 plus years that’s all they have to boost about. I can look back this year to find plenty of Clemson accomplishments to boost about.

Before Spurrier’s time there was the taunting by SC in DV which lead to the big fight when Lou was HC. Then after a SC win in DV QB jerk Steve Tanneyhill defaced the paw at midfield.

But up until the 90’s we use to could enjoy a friendly rivalry. Unfortunately, the verbal and physical abuse from the Coot fans has made it much easier to taunt my coot friends and family by marriage. I say about the mid to late 90’s is when I found I could not stand coots and wanted 45-0 scores every year. It progressed over time but the bad luck and butt whippings they now receive are are well deserved. And I delight in everyone of them especially if we had anything to do with it. I have always found joy in coot failures but now it’s like a joyful passion For Example when an App State comes to WB and beats the coots in front of 30 to 40 thousand unhappy fans.

I just am saddened by the fact that Ron aka 71PR cannot add to this thread. I hope Dabo keeps the gas all the way to the floor for 4 quarters running up 71 points or more in memory on RW (71PR).

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2019, 8:29 PM

In my four years at Clemson, the South Carolina fans were by far the ugliest visitors - rude, arrogant and rowdy. I went to Columbia for a game and was shocked at how rude and belligerent their fans were to us visitors. I recall one old lady with her beehive hair, cigarette dangling from her lips, making a vulgar comment toward me and my friends.

I always try to be friendly to visitors at Death Valley. Sat next to a Texas A&M alum during one of their games in Death Valley, and he was dadgum polite. I have witnessed Gamecoots try to start fights in a crowd of orange - idiots! I hate the b@$#ards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Nov 21, 2019, 10:26 PM

I grew up a South Carolina basketball fan back in the late 60s and early 70s. I started to notice Clemson around 1975 when the beat Clemson 55-20 (approximately). The Lamecock fans seemed to be extremely bad winners and really turned me off. I decided to get into engineering around 1977 while in high school. When Jerry Butler made "The Catch", that cemented my Clemson allegiance. My first day on campus 1980, I burned my last 2 remaining moUSC t-shirts in the courtyard out side Johnstone D-4, and have never looked back. I raised my kids to be Tigers, and my youngest son will start in the fall of 2020 (40 years after me).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Nov 21, 2019, 10:26 PM

I grew up a South Carolina basketball fan back in the late 60s and early 70s. I started to notice Clemson around 1975 when the beat Clemson 55-20 (approximately). The Lamecock fans seemed to be extremely bad winners and really turned me off. I decided to get into engineering around 1977 while in high school. When Jerry Butler made "The Catch", that cemented my Clemson allegiance. My first day on campus 1980, I burned my last 2 remaining moUSC t-shirts in the courtyard out side Johnstone D-4, and have never looked back. I raised my kids to be Tigers, and my youngest son will start in the fall of 2020 (40 years after me).

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Nov 21, 2019, 10:28 PM

I was born this way!

I was born in Hartsville and went to High School in........

Nov 22, 2019, 10:24 PM

.....Charleston. My grandparents lived in Columbia and I had 4 or 5 cousins who lived their whole lives in Columbia. After graduating from Clemson I lived in Greenville for awhile. I've lived most of my life in Charlotte and have spent a lot of time in Rock Hill.

So I've been around Gamecock fans my whole life. And I have cousins and friends who attended USC and have seemingly turned out alright, even if football has been fairly hard for them. Mike and I are close and though he lives in Tucson Az right now he sent me a nice poking email after everyone of their five straight wins.

I said all that to say I don't "HATE SC". Oh, I don't want the chickens to ever win anything of consequence and I thoroughly enjoy our wins over them and relish just a bit all their troubles. 0-21 was delightful. But hate is a strong word and it seems ill placed when talking about a college rivalry. I must have been lucky not to have been around too many Gamecocks who were nasty enough to hate. Mostly the ones that ride you when they win are sort of stupid since both of us know the history and what to expect next.

A few games back I went into a Bojangles in Gaffney wearing my colors on game day and headed for Clemson. I was there to grab coffee and biscuits. As I waited in line an older women wearing a burgundy dress looked at me for awhile and said, sort of softly, "You could pull for the Gamecocks too." It was pitiful and I could tell she's been troubled by her losing Gamecocks for years.

It's pretty hard to hate the down and outers isn't it?

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way back in the middle of last century I was

Nov 21, 2019, 10:31 PM

born.

Nov 21, 2019, 10:35 PM

My mom once explained to me that Sackerlina produced nothing but sheister lawyers and crooked businessmen .
I never doubted that she was right for her distrust and level dislike of them .
To this day I follow that wisdom .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 21, 2019, 11:00 PM

In 1990, during my freshman year at Clemson, my roommate and I drove to Columbia to stay with friends (SC students), go to a concert, and attend the Clemson/SC game. After the concert on Friday night, we had enough of the city, the students, and the university. We left Columbia at 2:00 am and drove back to Clemson. I feel sorry for anyone who had to go to school there. If that was my only option for an education, I would have tapped out. No way I could have spent 4 days there, much less 4 years!

for one, I used to be a coot

Nov 21, 2019, 11:08 PM

I grew up in chicken territory.Then I went to Clemson and became educated and hated them more than words can say

for one, I used to be a coot

Nov 21, 2019, 11:08 PM

I grew up in chicken territory.Then I went to Clemson and became educated and hated them more than words can say

Nov 21, 2019, 11:11 PM

Sophomore year, listening to game from Columbia on radio. Chickens call time out to have time to score last TD when they had a 49-20 lead. Hate ever since, and the more we score the better.

Enrolled at Clemson. Didn't take long!***

Nov 21, 2019, 11:47 PM

Easy - I was born and raised in Clemson

Nov 22, 2019, 5:53 AM

I grew up 5 blocks from the stadium. My first game ever was the last Big Thursday game. Disliking them came easy for me.

Nov 22, 2019, 6:30 AM

I was born on June and attended my first Clemson game in October. I was always aware of who and what I was, a Clemson Tiger. There wasn’t much in the way of Clemson themed baby wear back then but my Grandmother crocheted an orange baby blanket for me to coverup during the game. I still have it to this day some 58 years later and I treasure it. In grammar school and middle school years neither team was worth a hoot but those little chickens talked smack. For the life of me, I still have no idea why I even listened, they sucked as bad as we did. Then, in high school the same coots taunted me and they still sucked. I grew over time to hate the coots and still do to this day!

idiots like classless09

Nov 22, 2019, 6:36 AM

uga fans are similar.

Nov 22, 2019, 6:36 AM

I think it was 1982-83 and I was a 10 year old kid visiting my sister in law school. Herschel Walker was playing in Billy Brice. Naturally I was excited to see him play, and bought a new pair of binoculars to watch him up close. Some drunk student yelled at me, “hey binoculars, sit the f**ck down!”. Hated them ever since.

Nov 22, 2019, 9:17 AM

I would guess I was 8 or 9 years old at my Uncle's house on Christmas Eve. When it came time to open presents me and my brother were opening our present from our Grandmother. I opened mine and it was a bright orange Clemson sweatshirt. My brother opened his and it was a gaudy, crappy garnet chicken. From that moment on I loved my Tigers and hated the chickens.

Nov 22, 2019, 10:54 AM

I have many reasons but one reason stands out sharply in my mind. I grew up in Columbia and had several friends that invited me to go to a few U of SC games with them. Each time was miserable, however, my worst experience at WB came in my senior year of high school. My boyfriend at the time invited me to a night game against Florida. He was a freshman at U of SC and got two student section tickets, thinking it would be just the thing to convert me forever. It had the opposite effect and I left horrified by the behavior of the fanbase. A Florida fan decided to take his young son to the game and brought two tickets just outside of the student section. The young Florida fan brought a stuffed gator with him to the game, which ADULT u of sc fans decided to take from the kid. These adults then proceeded to throw the gator into the student section. The students tossed it around for a bit before it landed on the stairs. At that point, students (male and FEMALE) proceeded to spit on the stuffed gator. I commented to my boyfriend about how horrified I was, to which he replied "they should have known better than to sit that close to the student section." Needless to say, we broke up shortly after that. I'm grateful for my time at CU and happy to say that I married a Clemson man!

My mother once had a boyfriend that was a real

Nov 22, 2019, 11:06 AM

POS coot. He had a son one year younger than me who was also mostly useless and a coot. We'd play football out in the yard but that year difference was big. I never lost. He cried a lot. He also would get all pissy and say his stomach hurt anytime anybody tried to correct his horrid behavior.

Taught me all I needed to know about their kind.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 22, 2019, 2:36 PM

My parents fault completely. One of the greatest things they ever did for me was practice Proverb 22:6 from the time I was born. Thank God daily for their wisdom, raising me right and molding me into a tiger from day 1! Dad put it in little guy terms....A chicken can’t whip a Tiger son! The hate just comes along with this training.

Nov 22, 2019, 8:20 PM

As long as I can remember my entire family said to pull for Clemson and hate USC.

So I have. Working on 70 years now.

Nov 23, 2019, 9:33 AM

During my 1st year at Clemson ('93), a roommate had a couple of friends stay with us on Clemson vs. South Carolina weekend. One of his buddies was a USCjr student and was totally obnoxious about the "#####" the entire weekend. A world-class $hit-talker. He mouthed off all weekend about how much Clemson sucked which I found odd because Clemson is well known and prestigious, and South Carolina isn't (except to some people who grew up in South Carolina).

I didn't grow up in SC so I didn't know anything about the "rivalry", but was extremely embarrassed to learn that they were ours. I was disappointed to find out it wasn't UGA or FSU.

Anyways, I think they beat us like 37-10, or something like that with Steve Tanneyhill that year. My roommate's friend acted even more class-less after the game and almost got beat-up at a party that night for running his mouth. After that weekend I always viewed them as obnoxious loud-mouths who're all jealous of Clemson because they couldn't get in.

True story. :)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic