Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BREAKING NEWS: New NCAA Rule on commitments
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,796

BREAKING NEWS: New NCAA Rule on commitments

Nov 14, 2012, 12:12 PM

Let's make it so that a recruit's Verbal commit is just as binding as a signed Letter of Intent and the recruit must be released from his commitment by the school he committS to. This simple rule change will stop the insanity that is now the recruiting process... it will stop the media from hounding kids into reconsideration and it would stop schools from continuing to badger kids who have already committed. What good is a "commit" if it is meaningless??? Put some teeth into it and they will think twice before committing, and once they do, the hoopla is over.

Point me if you feel this is a good idea and we can push this idea forward! The current circus-like process has to be changed, and the sooner the better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that like being

Nov 14, 2012, 12:13 PM

pre-engaged to be engaged?

I remember when a verbal commitment was binding.

Nov 14, 2012, 12:16 PM

Now at days it means nothing,which is exactly why Dabo tried to get him to keep looking around before he "committed".

Re: Is that like being

Nov 14, 2012, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Is that like being ]

Aka a "promise ring"

It's a circus because the fans make it that way.***

Nov 14, 2012, 12:15 PM

Re: It's a circus b/c "analysts" and reporters make $ off it***

Nov 14, 2012, 12:25 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be..." - Winston Churchill

...because the fans produce that $***

Nov 14, 2012, 12:49 PM

Don't think that would ever happen, but I'd definitely be in

Nov 14, 2012, 12:18 PM

favor of an early siging period like in basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Then they would just pre-commit or something - which is

Nov 14, 2012, 12:19 PM

really all a verbal is. There is a reason for signing day - that is the only time anyone actually commits.

the NCAA is a sham and so is recruiting

Nov 14, 2012, 12:22 PM

CFB is a minor league NFL and all of the supposed rules and regulations are just a shell game, in my personal opinion.

I think there should be one simple rule: No football scholarships until year 2. You apply to school, you go to school, you play football, and the coach can give you a scholarship starting year 2.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or

Nov 14, 2012, 12:26 PM

I like the idea of coaches not being allowed to contact high school players until their senior year. Seems that would eliminate some of the early commitment hassles.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BREAKING NEWS: New NCAA Rule on commitments

Nov 14, 2012, 12:28 PM

Never happen no matter how great the idea. N no-C clue-A at-A all!

Nov 14, 2012, 12:31 PM

Wait.. you said BREAKING NEWS then you just gave your opinion on something?

Not cool friend... not cool.

Nov 14, 2012, 12:34 PM

It won't happen exactly like this, but football definitely needs an early signing period. While so many people on here say "he's just 17, give him slack", or "it's a tough decision, blah blah blah." The truth is that we got completely screwed over. It's not difficult, if you think you want to look around don't commit. Dabo even told him not to commit. We lost out on 4 months of recruiting that position because RN kept saying that he was solid for Clemson. Now we have to play catch-up and most top level players have begun to narrow down their lists. We are trying to throw a hail mary and snag Lawson who has been committed since March, but do we have any other options if that falls through?

Nov 14, 2012, 12:45 PM

excellent idea

Or wait. I've got itI

Nov 14, 2012, 12:54 PM

We could just keep the current concept that only the Letter constitutes a binding commitment and people shouldn't but much faith in something said by a 17/18 year old after just having a great weekend where he was treated like royalty.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

Re: Or wait. I've got itI

Nov 14, 2012, 1:05 PM

Problem with that is that it's a double edge sword... if Dabo and staff disregard the commitment's they get and continue recruiting, then kids get screwed when the commit does sign up (we run out of schollies). If we take the kids commit to heart and stop recruiting then we get screwed when he backs out. They just need to make the commit binding and it simplifies it all. Probably wont happen any time soon (recruiting new$ is a huge $$$$$ busine$$ now), but it should.

Re: It's a circus because the fans make it that way.***

Nov 14, 2012, 12:54 PM

U got that right

So what happens....

Nov 14, 2012, 1:09 PM

when a kids signs early before his Sr year of football, then blows up his knee or has another career ending injury before he enrolls in school? Things could get really messy really quickly.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Just need an early signing day like all other sports***

Nov 14, 2012, 1:12 PM

yeah, good luck with that one...

Nov 14, 2012, 3:59 PM

not too realistic. How about we make verbal commitments on getting loans from banks the same as signing for it. Let's just do that. It'll fix everything.

TD.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,796
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic