Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gut feeling ETN returns.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Gut feeling ETN returns.

Jan 16, 2020, 1:50 PM

This is a RB class that is stacked and people are going to overlook ETN in my mind, next year he's almost a lock to be the 1st RB taken and the difference in money is monumental. Just my $.02 and hopefully I'm right.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gut feeling ETN returns.

Jan 16, 2020, 1:58 PM

He also would almost definitely be going to NY if he stays healthy as a Heisman finalist.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:00 PM

Wish I could agree with you. But we've shown we don't like to use him enough, even in the big games where it's needed. I think he's a lock to win if we gave him 250 carries though.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:30 PM

Exactly!!!
If your coaches don't make you the emphasis in your hometown then they don't have faith in you. Greener Pastures ahead in the NFL.

I've come to realize that no Dabo Swinney coached player

Jan 16, 2020, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Gut feeling ETN returns. ]

is going to win the Heisman. And that is NOT a knock on Dabo...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've come to realize that no Dabo Swinney coached player

Jan 16, 2020, 4:41 PM

If the ACC would get back to what it was 4-5 years ago our starters would stay in the game a little longer. 2015/16 season i think there were only a couple of games where DW was out by the 4th quarter

Re: I've come to realize that no Dabo Swinney coached player

Jan 17, 2020, 9:26 AM [ in reply to I've come to realize that no Dabo Swinney coached player ]

Agreed. The schedule year in and year out is too weak to allow any of their players the proper playing time.

Jan 16, 2020, 1:59 PM

I have that same feeling. We know he is a great player and he has showed as much to the entire world especially against Ohio State. However, it is a deep class and other players got more respect from the media this year.

He deserves nothing but the best. I want him to get drafted in the 1st round and stays healthy for 10 years. But I wish he would come back for one more run. Whatever he decides to do I will cheer him on.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:00 PM

Honestly I felt since about week 10 he would return, his draft grade surprisingly isn't there and he's way better than they're saying he is I think he would benefit and he himself said there was a good chance of a return a little while back.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:01 PM

I think the better decision is for him to go to the NFL now and make money while he can. Running back careers are too short and there’s always a risk of injury i.e. Marcus Lattimore. I’m sure his family can use third round NFL money now just as much is they could use first round the year and a half from now.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:05 PM

Exactly they're short careers so why go now with a 2-3 round grade instead of a potential top 10 when we're talking 10s of a millions in separation by waiting one year. Get the quality of higher pay a year.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:10 PM

What if he doesn’t have a good year with the new line and slip out of the second round? Man the kid has a hard decision to make!

Jan 16, 2020, 2:29 PM

Doesn't have a good year? You're thinking our OL is going to be beaten by the dominant DL's in the ACC and the ACC TD leader and Clemson all time leading rusher (in 3 years) isn't going to rack it up despite doing so every year while we also have probably the best passing game in the nation. Only scenario is if he got hurt but that's a bs argument because it doesn't happen often and if he got hurt in the NFL while taking a 3rd round pick instead of top 10 he lost 20 mil too so the counter is just as silly, but also the NFL has a track record of not caring about statistics as much as other things. He can rush for 1000 and it'll be fine.

Jan 16, 2020, 4:32 PM

If he stays 100% healthy I think that it is a given that he would have a good year, but would that really move him that far up in the draft. He was arguably the best back in college football this year, and I believe the pro scouts will give him more credit than the media.

I think Josh Jacobs was the first RB taken last year somewhere in the low 20's. Running backs just are not in demand at the top of the draft anymore. Yes that would be millions difference compared to mid to late 2nd round where my uneducated guess would put Etienne, but that is simply for his initial contract. If he plays to the same final age, then he gets beyond his rookie contract a year earlier, and has an extra year in the league. I don't think that the total money would be drastically different.

I would love to see Etienne in the backfield again next year, but my gut thinks he is gone. I just don't see the upside outweighing the risk of injury, when even a non career threatening, nagging injury would prevent him from moving up in the draft. Regardless, I wishing him the best regardless of the decision.

He’s had a relatively light load in three years, so unlike

Jan 16, 2020, 2:02 PM

... unlike many RBs who have carried teams on their backs, ETN should not feel that his “clock” is ticking.

I think he’d benefit from another year in college.

We’ll see ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He’s had a relatively light load in three years, so unlike

Jan 16, 2020, 2:07 PM

Why should he risk injury? I think he should go get the money . He has nothing else to prove. A second round draft pick should get anywhere from a 5 -10 million dollar deal. Half of that should be guaranteed.

Because he can get more, just like Wilkins and Ferrell

Jan 16, 2020, 2:55 PM

Also, no real argument againstbmoving on this year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He’s had a relatively light load in three years, so unlike

Jan 16, 2020, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: He’s had a relatively light load in three years, so unlike ]

It's 2020 there's not this massive risk their used to be. One if he projects top 10 his deal is minimum around 20 million. 20 million is as much as colleges can insure a player and their draft value so if he risks injury he will be fine, if he goes 2nd round this year it's maximum 10 million but with 1 projected RB in the 1st round how many teams go after an RB in the 2nd? With him being 3rd or 4th on most mocks I've seen you have to wonder if 15 million difference is enough to wait another 12 months.

theres been some rumblings

Jan 16, 2020, 2:03 PM

that he is...however Tee kinda said he was after the game only to announce his intention of going pro.

apparently his draft grade is round 2 and so he is considering coming back bc could be top 10 pick in 2021.

We shall see.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:12 PM

Same thing I was thinking. ETN comes back, and we may lose one to the portal but Bowman is coming and we will be fine!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 2:15 PM

Last time I read about a "gut feeling" here was when delusional folks used it as their reason to pick OU to beat LSU when logic and sense dictated otherwise.

Re: He better not leave...

Jan 16, 2020, 2:32 PM

I need one more year to wear his jersey around. Even though my last name is Dixon i'd prefer to wear #9.

Jan 16, 2020, 3:24 PM

A lot of speculation he's really on the fence right now and having a tough time with the decision. I think in his heart he really wants to come back and finish his Sr year. That last game had to leave a sour taste in his mouth, and with the chance to possibly improve his draft stock next year due to the overload of top RB's coming out this season could play a big part as well. I really believe he will stay as well and I we should know very soon....hopefully tonight or early tomorrow.

Jan 16, 2020, 3:54 PM

My ONLY concern if ETN returns is, what position Bowman will be left in. Bowman is SPECIAL, and very well could be another Travis-like back. And by Travis-like , mean program changing back. The kid from everything I've seen, read, and heard is outstanding. Character, performance, all that. I just worry with all the "right now" mentality going on in cfb, he and others could transfer. On the hand travis is AMAZING, and WE KNOW he'll come back and be special, IF he returns. But we will see. GO TIGERS!

Jan 16, 2020, 4:47 PM

Tig3rman12 said:

My ONLY concern if ETN returns is, what position Bowman will be left in. Bowman is SPECIAL, and very well could be another Travis-like back. And by Travis-like , mean program changing back. The kid from everything I've seen, read, and heard is outstanding. Character, performance, all that. I just worry with all the "right now" mentality going on in cfb, he and others could transfer. On the hand travis is AMAZING, and WE KNOW he'll come back and be special, IF he returns. But we will see. GO TIGERS!

I think it would benefit Bowman. He & Dixon wouldn't have to carry the load. Bowman has some games to grow in, etc. IF ETN chose to come back we'd have a group of RB's like Bama usually has. Even with him gone, our RB's will be legit. Would just take Bowman some time to get pass protection down, etc.

Jan 16, 2020, 4:50 PM

100% agree, just wish 17-18 yr olds listened to such wisdom!

Jan 16, 2020, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Gut feeling ETN returns. ]

^^^ THIS. More than any other position RB is about being able to learn all 3 phases of the game (Running, passing, and blocking), prove you can at a moments be a “bell cow” RB while minimizing the hits you take so you can get to your second contract.

ETN coming back would benefit everyone Including Bowman and if I was a running back I’d totally embrace a 3-4 year plan. At the end of the day RB’s with one good year can be a 1st round pick.

Year 1: RS while playing in 4 games to learn the system, work on technique, make a few splash plays late in games. Soak everything in you can and work on your body in power hour/scout team.

Total touches: ~50 (One game where you blow it out and get 10 or so another you don’t play at all and the others you average 4-5.

Year 2: 2nd-3rd string gets on average 5-8 touches a game and shows your ability to make impact plays in the passing game as well.

Total Touches: ~75

Year 3: Primary Backup/First season as a starter. As a backup I’m getting 10 touches minimum a game and REALLY working on my protections.

Total Touches: 125

Year 4: Dominate. Put together everything I’ve learned and prove I can be the bell cow and average 15-20 touches a game.

Total Touches: 200

RB's really get the short end of the stick with the NFL

Jan 16, 2020, 4:15 PM

as things stand today. Outside of a 1st round selection (and high 1st round actually), a talented RB can be stuck with an underpaying salary for four years of their most prime health with practically no recourse. And considering how much easier it is for rookie RBs to contribute immediately, the productive veterans simply don't command the higher values in free agency following than other positions do.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 4:38 PM

I'm leaning this way as well, just a feeling. If so, he needs to be fed the ball heavily next season.

I am not sure how much exposure he'll get next year

Jan 16, 2020, 4:52 PM

with 10-15 touches per game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 6:20 PM

RBs cant pile up alot of miles in college.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic