Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defund the police is one of those liberal terms that
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 2,283

Defund the police is one of those liberal terms that

Mar 11, 2021, 8:04 AM

is horribly misleading and damages the conversation right off the bat.

Here is a decent article laying out the playing field of what we are really trying to talk about.
Is there anything of value in this discussion ?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-does-it-mean-to-defund-the-police/ar-BB1ethoo?li=BBnbfcL

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hmm maybe...or is it one of those liberal terms...

Mar 11, 2021, 8:25 AM

that really originally meant what it says and then some folks decided that that was bat sheet crazy and tried to change the meaning to something more palatable?

I think to act like there aren't/weren't a decent segment of folks in some places that wanted to completely do away with or drastically shrink the police presence is disingenuous.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This is what I remember ^^^

Mar 11, 2021, 8:34 AM

It got toned way down the closer it got to election time

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it could be that.

Mar 11, 2021, 8:36 AM [ in reply to hmm maybe...or is it one of those liberal terms... ]

Kind of like when Trump said crazy things and people here tried to justify it with a new meaning. But I can see some folks genuinely wanting police defunded, which, of course, would be foolish.

As we see, Biden never did call for it and isn't pushing for it now like so many claimed leading up to the election. That's a good thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I think Biden was pretty clear that he wasn't on the...

Mar 11, 2021, 8:54 AM

defund the police bandwagon.

Correct.

Mar 11, 2021, 9:41 AM

Didn't stop the misinformation about him, though.

I can't imagine any halfway sane politician would advocate defunding police.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

How did Trump get in this conversation?

Mar 11, 2021, 9:54 AM [ in reply to I think it could be that. ]

Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump Trump

and Trump

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How did Trump get in this conversation?

Mar 11, 2021, 10:20 AM

I was drawing the comparison of how extremists twist words to mean something they don't because they're partisan hacks.

I believe you did that a few times with Trump.

Hey, how bad does it sting that he's not president anymore?

I never liked Trump and have said that repeatedly

Mar 11, 2021, 10:33 AM

for years. I just like democrats like Biden a whole lot less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it could be that.

Mar 11, 2021, 10:54 PM [ in reply to I think it could be that. ]

Kind of like when Trump said crazy things and people here tried to justify it with a new meaning. But I can see some folks genuinely wanting police defunded, which, of course, would be foolish.

As we see, Biden never did call for it and isn't pushing for it now like so many claimed leading up to the election. That's a good thing.

No Biden just said I’d you don’t vote for me then you aren’t black! Sorry, his words not mine! Carry on!

Yeah, he did.

Mar 12, 2021, 7:38 AM

And it was stupid. But apparently didn't matter, did it?

Interesting how police reform is called defund the police

Mar 11, 2021, 8:40 AM [ in reply to hmm maybe...or is it one of those liberal terms... ]

While education reforms, which withhold funding from poor performing schools, and shifting/allocating money for charter schools and private schools, isn't called defund the schools.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^this***

Mar 11, 2021, 9:12 AM [ in reply to hmm maybe...or is it one of those liberal terms... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hmm maybe...or is it one of those liberal terms...

Mar 11, 2021, 10:46 AM [ in reply to hmm maybe...or is it one of those liberal terms... ]

flow

Maybe so - maybe not.

I think at the bottom of the article, there is about 15% who support the more extreme position (although, I still don't think they mean absolutely NO police)

Liberal evolution

Mar 11, 2021, 8:30 AM

Is, is?

Defund, doesn’t really mean defund. Come on guys.

Woman.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kinda like “tax the rich” means increasing taxes

Mar 11, 2021, 8:37 AM

Only on people with jobs

Re: Defund the police is one of those liberal terms that

Mar 11, 2021, 8:39 AM

There are certainly reasons to have discussions on better ways of policing and police training. However, let's not forget 9 members of the Minneapolis City Council were in favor of defunding and dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department. A year later that same City Council voted to spend $6.4 million to hire dozens more police officers. From the New Oxford Dictionary-Defund-prevent from continuing to receive funds. It does not define the word as redirecting funds or decreasing funds. Defund means defund.

Liberals need to recognize that words do matter and even more importantly that actions have consequences.See Minneapolis City Council. The article you presented also states that 15% still favor abolishing the police.

I agree that we need a long discussion on crime prevention, police tactics, how to better handle the mentally ill when agitated and take care of them. We also need to address statistics involving black crime without necessarily assuming it's fundamentally due to racism. We need to improve education, but without a commitment from parents to be involved in their child's education, building the most modern magnificent schools will still leave underprivileged kids behind.

The article is reasonable, but the statement again of "Defund the police means many things to many people," while true, shows that precision of language is important.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2021, 10:54 AM

ron

I agree. I posted the article to start a conversation, which it seems it has.

On a tangent, I would also point out that I think that asset forfeiture (which is often un-American) has led to a number of police forces adding overly militarized equipment.

What about “you can keep your doctor”

Mar 11, 2021, 8:42 AM

That was a good one

It's a good thing Trump fixed that with HIS healthcare plan,

Mar 11, 2021, 8:52 AM

which should be coming out any day now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm all for getting rid of the police.

Mar 11, 2021, 8:45 AM

The police, along with the three-letter federal agencies like the FBI and the ATF, are the standing army that the founders warned us about.

On no planet is that even remotely accurate.***

Mar 11, 2021, 10:25 AM

null

Maybe read the federalist and anti-federalist papers and

Mar 11, 2021, 10:48 AM

get back to me.

This country has too many ####### laws and too many domestic troops harassing people and enforcing those bullsh*t laws. There is no way, not any #### possible way, that the founders would have supported no-knock-raids, for example. In fact there are amendments that supposedly make those illegal. A lot of good that did.

Be that as it may, the founding fathers did not seek a world

Mar 11, 2021, 10:52 AM

without cops. That's nonsense.

The tools provided to the cops...no knock warrants, property seizures, etc...absolutely up for debate and I'm confident we would be aligned.

null

There were no cops then, and they were against domestic

Mar 11, 2021, 10:13 PM

standing armies. (And foreign entanglements for that matter.)

You don't need a world full of cops to have peace. You need individual liberty and a sheriff to prosecute real crimes. That's it.

Re: Maybe read the federalist and anti-federalist papers and

Mar 11, 2021, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Maybe read the federalist and anti-federalist papers and ]

I, too, am against no-knock raids - and several other practices that I think are overreach.

However, you seem to constantly make reference to what the Founding Fathers could not envision and I think that is disingenuous.

When the US Constitution was written, The entire US contained less than 4 million people. That is less than half the people living in NYC today. There are lots of things that the Founding Fathers could not envision.

I think they set up some important and lasting principles, but they were not gods. In fact, they probably understood less about how the world actually operates that a typical college grad. So let us venerate their relative wisdom, but not be afraid to re-examine some of their thinking.

Mar 11, 2021, 8:47 AM

I'm not in favor (even slightly) of "DEFUND THE POLICE".

I'm absolutely in favor of "REFORM THE POLICE."

We need cops. We do need to de-militarize them and make them a whole lot more accountable to the communities, and those ones that immediately hide behind their union reps and wall up and refuse to budge, at that point, I'm pretty much done with them.

I think in a lot of places we should probably just blow up the existing entrenched police departments and just start over from scratch. Yes, some of the officers from the old department you would probably want to re-hire...but a lot of them, especially the old guard brass, you absolutely would not.

I also think one of things you really need to take advantage of with modern police departments in regards to hiring is psychological assessments. Sadists and people with a high degree of aggression are often attracted to police work because it offers them a chance for power, control, and the chance to hurt people. See Derek Chauvin. But while sadists and people with a high degree of aggression might make good soldiers they absolutely do not make good police officers and far too many of those types are hired - who then immediately give the rest a bad name.

Our police cultures are sick, in a lot of places, and are in severe need of reform, but they're fighting it tooth and nail. And that is what's really got to change.

Short memories ...

Mar 11, 2021, 8:56 AM

In the 70s, cops had their cute lil 38 revolvers and maybe. Shotgun in the trunk.

Time after time they were outgunned by the criminals.

If the police need a tank I say give it to them. It doesnt affect me because I abide by the laws

Re: Short memories ...

Mar 11, 2021, 9:40 AM

No, no, no, no.

Cops need to be nerfed as much as possible.

I mean, sure, cops do need a SWAT. They do need a business end if they've absolutely, positively gotta have one. But you want them to go rock and roll as a last resort. And sure, if they need a tank, I guess I want them to have a tank. Maybe one. I mean, hey, who knows, right?

But the average officer on the street, disposition is all-important. I want street the average street cop to be a patient guy (or formidable gal) who's a non-lethal takedown ninja, with bodycams all over him, (or her) so there's absolutely zero question who's doing what to who and when. I want him to have ten different kind of pepper sprays. I want him to have tasers that zap perps stupid but don't kill. I want him to have gummy sprays and loogey guns that affix perps to surfaces. When he's working I want him to pretty much look like a big giant Michelin Man - not just bulletproof, but basically batproof, knifeproof, tire-iron proof, what-ever proof. Messing with that police officers shouldn't just be unrewarding, it should basically be durn near impossible. And the whole time you're defying him, he's basically talking to you in this patient, you're being-an-idiot voice: "Sir, if you don't cease and desist the stupid, I'm going to loogey-gun or taser or whatever you..." And if you don't comply, well, zap, with the bodycams rolling, and it's off the drunk tank for you. Method.

Minimum fuss, minimum tuss, minimum bother. And above all else, he's a guy (or gal) who was solidly psych-screened and who's never, ever going to go kneeling with his jackboots on a perp's neck for five freaking minutes while even the civvies on the street are shrieking at him to get off the guy and he's dead there on the street. That kind of thing.

Some folks are natural protectors. Some people are natural aggressors. You do not make the second type cops. Start with that, and then equip and train them accordingly.

Hear hear, Q. Well said. I'd go a step further and say

Mar 11, 2021, 10:24 AM

that there is just no reason a police department should have a tank (which...they don't...I assume we're talking about those assault vehicles). Okay...MAYBE one for NYC or Chicago or LA...but really, if it comes to that, have a process to request federal assistance. But I agree with your approach...99% of what cops do just doesn't need firepower like they're getting handed by the military, and it sends the wrong message...to EVERYONE. To inner city people who distrust the police...to the average citizen who is starting to think it's MadMax out there...and to the cop whose being outfitted like they're heading to Afghanistan.

null

I agree. But the type of person that is going to feel led

Mar 11, 2021, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Short memories ... ]

into law enforcement is going to be the aggressive type. It's going to be a long road to try to change that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. But the type of person that is going to feel led

Mar 11, 2021, 11:00 AM

Joey

I think other countries do a better job of hiring the kind of people who strike a better balance in their police departments.

I understand that America is a different animal, but we could move in that direction a bit.

Mar 11, 2021, 12:15 PM

Other countries also have cultures which make them more respectful of authority. Our culture is increasingly moving in an direction in which no one has to comply with authority.

Mar 11, 2021, 12:33 PM

Dawg

I don't disagree, but perhaps the police's tendency to use force is undermining their authority ?

Mar 11, 2021, 12:49 PM

This is where I suspect we differ. I don't see police as having a "tendency" to use force. Sure there are some bad cops and some good cops who might overreact. I just don't by the national narrative that cops are roaming the streets beating the crap out of people. The media perpetuates this narrative. To this day, you hear Michael Brown's name tossed in as someone police killed indiscriminately, despite the Obama DOJ finding the shooting was justified (based on Brown attacking the officer). Why do media types keep framing it this way? It helps advance the narrative.

There seems to be a correlation between compliance and not winding up in handcuffs.

Mar 11, 2021, 6:47 PM

Dawg,

I think if we talked it through, we would not disagree as much as one might think. I don't think that police forces are overwhelmingly too forceful, but I DO think that this is more than a few bad apples.

I have seen plenty of excessive force in person, so I am not being too swayed by sensationalistic media coverage. I take that with a large grain of salt.

Mar 11, 2021, 8:49 AM

Toby,

It is an honest term that was never focus-group tested before going mainstream and now the Dem marketing specialists are trying to rebrand it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2021, 11:03 AM

O

I think you would label me a Dem/liberal. The first time I heard the phrase, I cringed. I know a lot of my political colleagues did, too.

I am sure that some people meant it for what it said. In fact, the article indicates that about 15% still do.

But I think the important thing is that now, after some rational consideration, we all can discuss what might be the best way forward - where is the proper balance of all of the considerations laid out in this article.

Mar 11, 2021, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Defund the police is one of those liberal terms that ]

I agree.

Cops definitely need work in the US of A. See my lengthy posts.

"Defund the police", as a slogan, is a major turnoff. Just as "Black lives matter" would have been a whole lot better as "Black lives matter too". Mind, Tucker Carlson still would have found a way to twist even that because that's what Tucker Carlson does and it still probably would have wound up a Fox culture-war meme somehow, but those two in particular are definite turkeys.

In short, Dems don’t mean what they say***

Mar 11, 2021, 8:59 AM

uh yeah

Mar 11, 2021, 9:52 AM

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/505307-ocasio-cortez-dismisses-proposed-1b-cut-defunding-police-means-defunding

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/seattle/seattle-city-council-will-vote-on-durkans-budget-vetoes/281-81a364d7-5155-443a-8ad1-e0583ef52959

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/10/us/minneapolis-police-funding.html

Mar 11, 2021, 9:53 AM

It shows how stupid those people were that came up with the slogan.

Oh, this is my favorite type of Liberal post, I think.

Mar 11, 2021, 10:19 AM

The calm, rational "We didn't really mean what we said" post.

FYI, a lot of people meant exactly what they said. You just see how it's playing out so you want to whitewash it a bit. Keep fighting the good fight, but don't talk to us. Talk to the people who are demanding that the police be defunded. They're the ones you have an argument with.

null

Re: Oh, this is my favorite type of Liberal post, I think.

Mar 11, 2021, 11:10 AM

swarley

1. IF you read the article, about 15% of liberals still want to defund the police. That means that 85% do NOT. I think that 15% is surprisingly high, but I think that "a lot" becomes misleading.

2. IF you want to have an honest conversation of the police reforms that liberals would like to see, this article provides a good starting point for that discussion.

3. IF you you merely want to find another way to demonize people who disagree with you - well, nobody can stop you.

Oh shoot. Did I demonize people I disagree with?

Mar 11, 2021, 11:54 AM

Well, at least I did riot and loot because of it.

Progress!

null

I just read the article, and it's EXACTLY what I thought.

Mar 11, 2021, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh, this is my favorite type of Liberal post, I think. ]

You are delusional if you think otherwise.

Lots of talk about "Hey...what we really meant was that there are certain things that police might not be best equipped to handle, like emotional distress..."

Non-sense. A complete re-write of what happened. This is such ridiculous BS. You simply do not try to start a dialog about developing other departments within local governments to manage issues of emotional distress by marching in the streets and chanting "Defund the Police". The ONLY thing you are trying to accomplish with that is to attack the police. Everything else is a transparent attempt to elevate it to something it was not, because everyone saw that the idea to defund the police was a complete disaster. What do you think? Cops LIKE answering those calls!?! You think there'd be a big turf war if cops were told they could focus more on real law and order and community safety? Hardly.

And of course, let's hear from Harvard:

"I think at the core of the defunding movement is the idea that we want to take money out of city and local budgets that has traditionally been devoted to paying for police services, and to redirect it [to] better housing for low-income people, better schools, better mental health treatments," Harvard Law professor John Goldberg told CBSN Originals.

Flipping genius. Because pumping money into a crime-infested neighborhood's school has NEVER been tried before. What's Harvard Law's twist? "Well, first, we get that money from the people responsible for maintaining some level of law in order in the area before we pump it into the school." Ooooooh...THAT'S the missing ingredient. It costs you $66k a year for a guy with that level of analysis to teach you law at Harvard.

null

It was a way to shrink a complex conversation to a hash tag

Mar 11, 2021, 10:22 AM

As the election got closer - Defund the Police became Reform the Police and eventually it was not talked about at all by Dems when they realized it wasn't politically popular.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm for defunding the police to the point they stop

Mar 11, 2021, 10:53 AM

harassing people for petty "crime", like having an open beer in my front yard, or driving a golf cart 10 minutes before dark, or parking one lane over in parking lot.

If they have enough time to worry about petty instances of "crime" like that, they have too much time on their hands, and the dept has too much money to fund the folks who are solely looking for revenue generation.

everyone knew what it really meant

Mar 11, 2021, 11:06 AM

not totally get rid of the police but to punish them cause police are racist and evil.
to severly "defund" the police. We heard by 50% by a ton of liberal officials. Minnesota tried to do it and now has backtracked bigtime.

After blowback, y'all tried to change the meaning.
just stop trying to change history.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: everyone knew what it really meant

Mar 11, 2021, 11:12 AM

x

Would you like to have a rational conversation about how we might reform the police forces goping forward. THAT is what the article is all about.

Mar 11, 2021, 1:04 PM

I'd like to see an article or some media coverage on how we might (as a nation) reform behavior. Let's see:

don't have kids you can't afford

financially provide for those you have

don't break the law

comply with a police officer's instructions

live beneath your means financially

stop being offended by everything, all the time

stop blaming society for your problems

practice tolerance

Mar 11, 2021, 11:29 AM [ in reply to everyone knew what it really meant ]

Just like everyone knows 'climate change' still means 'global warming'. They just had to re-brand it because practically nothing the alarmists predicted a quarter century ago was actually happening.

This is one of those threads that I really want to jump in

Mar 11, 2021, 11:34 AM

on but I'm not going to bite.

Good luck finding smart people who want to get paid 30K to be a cop.

Re: This is one of those threads that I really want to jump in

Mar 11, 2021, 12:36 PM

Do other countries pay their cops more ??

Re: This is one of those threads that I really want to jump in

Mar 11, 2021, 12:39 PM

It seems not. And perhaps we do not have AN accurate idea of how much cops get paid (see attached)

Replies: 54
| visibility 2,283
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic