Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Baseball / Soccer Demographics
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Baseball / Soccer Demographics

May 17, 2015, 3:19 PM

Played baseball and football growing up and in high school. And yet, attending Clemson in early 80's, I rarely missed a football or basketball game and never attended a baseball or soccer game. Probably should have.

Now my 15 yr old 9th grade son plays JV soccer and basketball. He played youth baseball but says he's bored to stand in the same place and sit in the dugout for 3 hours and swing the bat 7 or 8 times. He would prefer to run several miles and stay active as a midfielder. I'd always encouraged him to go the baseball route but can't argue where he is coming from. Different strokes.

ESPN says the youth demographics look like this at 15 yrs old: 9% play baseball, 9% play soccer, 17% play basketball and 8% play football. My son knows all about NFL, NBA, and Euro/World Cup Soccer players but knows few MLB players. My question is this ... are most young men pulling away from baseball interest? The national past-time may now be NFL fantasy football and video games. Will we log into TigerNet in 10 years and see Soccer but not Baseball as a topic of interest? I'm just unsure about that. What do you current Clemson undergrads and younger folks say about this subject? Seems like Soccer interest is slowly increasing and maybe at the expense of Baseball. Welcome your inputs!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball / Soccer Demographics

May 17, 2015, 3:27 PM

If jack leg is still clemson's coach in 10 yrs the bored will be filled with baseball posts

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Baseball / Soccer Demographics

May 17, 2015, 3:34 PM

Soccer is growing in America and has been for years. It is not a steep growth but is is most definitely a growth.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Lacrosse growing as well

May 17, 2015, 4:07 PM

Lot of teens playing Lacrosse as well.

I agree with the sentiment about baseball. It's boring, too slow, too many games and takes too long.

I'm in my 50's and have not cared about pro baseball for many years, or the NBA either.

My kids played soccer from first grade through high school (girls), great sport for them.

For me it is football, baseball, basketball, and golf.

May 17, 2015, 4:49 PM

I find watching soccer a very much boring experience. I would rather watch softball, track, or tennis, or NASCAR than soccer. Playing days over so this is a watching Opinion.

Re: For me it is football, baseball, basketball, and golf.

May 17, 2015, 5:06 PM

the only soccer I watch is the grand children. otherwise to me it is like watching paint dry. if people love it and watch great. Just so I'm not dragged to it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 17, 2015, 5:38 PM

I used to hate Soccer as well and used to think it was boring to watch until I had a roommate at Clemson actually teach me about the game. Now it is my 2nd or 3rd favorite sport behind Football/Basketball.

null

May 17, 2015, 5:55 PM

Used to hate it until I started playing FIFA haha. Now I watch champions league/EPL very regularly

Meh, I don't think so.

May 17, 2015, 9:11 PM

People only play soccer because it's there. Beyond the allure of the game of baseball, there is the added incentive of the possibility of playing a popular sport at the college or professional level that doesn't really exist for Americans. Granted, I'm nearly 30, but growing up this is how it is: we all played soccer and baseball, but soccer was recreation while baseball was serious.

Maybe soccer will become more popular in the future, but don't listen to folks who try to tell you that demographics mean that baseball will die out and soccer will become the national sport. Those people are usually just soccer fans who don't care for baseball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic