Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At what point did you realize we had a great coach in Dabo.?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

At what point did you realize we had a great coach in Dabo.?

Oct 27, 2015, 1:07 PM

Honestly, I was late to recognize how fortunate we were to have Dabo until we beat OHio St. I'm all in now but it took longer than it should have!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At what point did you realize we had a great coach in Dabo.?

Oct 27, 2015, 1:13 PM

Oct 27, 2015, 1:15 PM

beating coots and start of this season

...2015 ACC champs and I will be sold

late to the dabo party but he sure is getting it done here of late

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2015, 1:15 PM

Did you listen to his press conference? I didn't know how far he would take things and still don't, but when he gave his first speech as head coach I was convinced.

null

LSU game... Things were finally coming together.***

Oct 27, 2015, 1:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2015, 1:17 PM

He has slowly won me over since day one. I was skeptical about hiring someone that hadn't been anywhere. 2011 helped but still skeptical. I think it was the LSU win that finished it and convinced me we had the best coach in College Football.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First time he wore a sweatshirt on the sidelines ...

Oct 27, 2015, 1:17 PM

I knew then he was a man of the peoples.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you juan of the UDP?

Oct 27, 2015, 1:46 PM

You sound like juan of the UDP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

ALL IN from the beginning..........Really!***

Oct 27, 2015, 1:18 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2015, 1:18 PM

About right here...https://youtu.be/CwxxaFvYTXY

that is when I knew. You do not have as much passion as he does and not be successful. "Tweet that"

When a guaranteed first round draft pick in C.J. Spiller

Oct 27, 2015, 1:19 PM

decided to forego the money and the fame that came with it, to come back and play one more year. Anybody that thinks wanting to come back and play for Dabo Swinney doesn't fit into that equation is fooling themselves.

Honestly, I bought in in year two.

Oct 27, 2015, 1:20 PM

I loved the passion and realness he showed and the fire......his talk about character and focus, etc.. I do not buy into coaches with the spirituality stuff if I see a lack of character on their teams. The Bowden's, Richt, etc. crew do not impress me because their teams have issues every year. We did too under Bowden. I do not care if a coach looks and talks like I do....I care about the team never quitting, playing clean and hard football, and not having off the field BS everytime you turn around. Also, when issues arise, how are they dealt with. In many ways, Dabo cleaned up our character, our effort, our culture, etc., and in doing so, recruited great kids who have the chance to grow up in a program that they will always feel a part of. I bought in early because, though Bowden was a decent man, he never impressed me as a guy who really connected with the players, at least nowhere close to Dabo. That culture and that connection Dabo has built creates a winning culture that cannot be broken.

Oct 27, 2015, 1:21 PM

Right off the bat. Can't prove it to you obviously, but I was convinced after just a few times hearing the guy talk. He was a one of a kind recruiter and his leadership and drive was very evident right away. Plus, we just had Tommy and Tammy b4 him. Knew he was way better than both. :)

Started to see it when he was willing to replace his

Oct 27, 2015, 1:22 PM

friend at OC in 2010. The Co-OC thing seems to be good. The talent level doesn't seem to wain very much even when we keep sending young men to the NFL.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I heard his speech at Grace Fellowship

Oct 27, 2015, 1:26 PM

back in 2012. It was basically his autobiography. Until then I was skeptical that a position coach could lead us to greatness. Happy I was wrong.

THIS^^^***

Oct 27, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Started to see it when he was willing to replace his ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2015, 1:24 PM

The first 'Clemson Life' video, program overview, and inclusion of the students in the team manager roles...and seeing the team respond. It transcended football.

He reinforced his image with his marketable quotes and passionate defense of this program. Again...in many respects, he transcends football as a game, and leads his players into another dimension of the life's journey they have ahead.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Still got one of these

Oct 27, 2015, 1:27 PM
yabo.jpg(34.3 K)

Though it's a little worse for wear nowadays. These white lettered came out in the first week or 2 of him being named interim HC

Not me in the pic ,it's Scott Hardigree of Hartwell

From day one. In my work life I have to hire high potential

Oct 27, 2015, 1:31 PM

individuals. It was easy to see that Dabo had the characteristics of a GREAT leader. I think too many fans got hung up on what constitutes a good head coach. They wanted a proven, experienced coach. To me, coaching is the easy part. Being a leader is MUCH more important.

Oct 27, 2015, 1:32 PM

wasn't sure when it was announced. Thought we'd get a big name to come in

But... I was at Dabo's first game (GT) as interim HC, when he made Dawson Zimmerman sprint back to middle of field and then to sideline when he loafed after a punt, I turned to a friend in the stands and said "he's gonna be a good one"

Been fired up ever since.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the instant Tommy Bowden was fired***

Oct 27, 2015, 1:39 PM

Yup, I've been All-In since that first week

Oct 27, 2015, 1:42 PM

Partially because he showed he understood what we were lacking. Primarily attention to detail, and consistency.

He also showed humility and confidence simultaneously which is rare.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2015, 1:42 PM

His interview when he was hired impressed me enough to think he was going to be a good coach. Realizing now that he has accomplished what he has to date, after being thrown into a raging fire as a receivers coach to suddenly the head coach at a major college football program, I never imagined that he would totally change the program to this degree. Media still hasn't acknowledged what he had to deal with. Those idiots are to busy trying to figure out how to throw the c-word in his face.

Early on, it was obvious he was a great guy

Oct 27, 2015, 1:48 PM

First year it was obvious he *could* be a great coach

Second year, wining the conference, it became obvious he was well on his way

And from that day forward he has done nothing but represent this school with class and be a great coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 27, 2015, 1:48 PM

I liked him from day one when he fired rob Spence! I really liked him when TDP introduced him as the new head coach and his speech that followed. Then I really knew we had something special when he unleashed his rant before the ACC champ game in 2011. The whole "Carolina is in chapel hill and USC is way out in California thing!". But I think I was completely sold out that we had a great coach after the LSU Peach bowl game in 2012. I Love Clemson and I love Dabo. We have a great school and a great Christian man filled with fire that leads our football team!

Go TIGERS, Beat Nc State and GOD Bless Clemson

Oct 27, 2015, 1:49 PM

For me, it's been an amalgamation of various things. The LSU game was big, but so was Chad Morris. I don't know if anyone was more skeptical than me on that one, but it became evident that he was great right off the bat. When he hired BV, again - I saw where Oklahoma's D was ranked and was more than a little unsure, but that one has worked far better than I expected also. Moving Scott/Elliott into the co-offensive role - once again I figured that was a doomed decision, but so far this year I must say I'm impressed.

He keeps making me guess his decisions, but I don't think he's been wrong yet.

Also, I do love that he didn't back down from Spurrier. History is littered with Spurrier taking jabs at programs and those programs just choose to ignore it. I know he caught #### for some of that, but I agree 100% with fighting fire with fire - that also solidified him as a coach for me.

In short, lots of things that added up to that realization.

I'm still in the fire Dabo corner! Ford woulda put up 82 on

Oct 27, 2015, 1:50 PM

Miami. j/k!! It took me awhile but I guess around when we beat UGA.

When he wept at his introduction and Clemson's HC...

Oct 27, 2015, 1:53 PM

I was impressed with his passion. When he kissed The Rock and ran down The Hill I realized he wasn't just enthused at being a HC but was all about Clemson.

We were in bad shape as a team. Our linemen just weren't D1. No offense to those guys who worked their azzes off to do their jobs, really. They were just over matched and out coached. I knew it would take a few years to get things going.

When they hamstrung Dabo by limiting how much he paid assistant they extended the Tommy syndrome by years. I'm happy with the process but most folks though we should have hired a chef to smear in a ton of mayo and some pickles and turn this chicken chit into chicken salad. That's not the way it works.

We've seen very few guys graduate or move on since Dabo took the helm who weren't replaced by someone better. No one in the country including Saban could have taken what Dabo inherited and made them world beaters. Right now I wouldn't trade Dabo for Saban or anyone else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when he hired Brent Venables***

Oct 27, 2015, 2:00 PM

Watching him recruit all the talent

Oct 27, 2015, 2:04 PM

That Bowden benefit from after Stockstill left, but really watching our WR's improving dramatically and being so well coached by Dabo after Stockstill departed. It was night and day difference. He developed out WR's unlike RS. I believed he has all the intangibles to begin with but what I didn't know was/is he would instill a killer instinct and elevate a winning cultures in the players, coaches and fans, the expectation to win and for those expectations to be realistic

I've never had an issue with him***

Oct 27, 2015, 2:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You could see he had real potential back when he took over

Oct 27, 2015, 2:06 PM

running all of our recruiting camps under Bowden. I don't know anyone that thought he would have been this successful, though.

Since he has ALWAYS been willing to discipline players

Oct 27, 2015, 2:10 PM

even if we needed them in the game

That's the biggest thing

He has steadily built the program into a beast. { I still hold my breath on special teams plays }

Dabo has always had a backup plan and a succession plan for coaches leaving.

null

vs. Nebraska in the bowl game

Oct 27, 2015, 2:12 PM

When he made the punter go back and run off the field rather than walk and did this on national television.

I will not say this showed me he would produce, but it did show me he had standards and I became his fan at that point.

Day 1. I knew it was a step up when he could speak using

Oct 27, 2015, 2:31 PM

complete sentences. Hated listening to Bowden.

Terry Don Phillips deserves mentioning here. Thanks!***

Oct 27, 2015, 2:34 PM

The day after we

Oct 27, 2015, 2:32 PM

win the National Championship.

And only then will I say he is a GOOD CEO kinda coach.

Signed,

Razz

And I will still cry & whine about how it coulda been 4 years sooner if we didn't have to do on-the-job training with our poor little guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I hope you didn't awake that cicada.... Give him his 7 years***

Oct 27, 2015, 2:42 PM

Lol - good point !!!***

Oct 27, 2015, 3:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 27, 2015, 3:06 PM

In the very beginning, check my post history. Dabo is the man, and oh, one more thing...pay Venables whatever it takes to stay. Whatever it takes.

Within a month or so.**

Oct 27, 2015, 3:45 PM

nm

when he had a losing season but kept saying the same things.

Oct 27, 2015, 4:25 PM

It showed he wasn't afraid to tell the fans and media that they were wrong;

and in this day and age, if a coach won't lead, he'll be gone.

Oct 27, 2015, 4:27 PM

The day they announced him as interim and the first time I heard him give a press conference!!! No lie I did!

Oct 27, 2015, 4:33 PM

I must admit I was skeptical at first when Clemson gave him the job but I sure as h311 glad that they did Dabo is one of the greatest head coaches we have ever had ( before you flame me I said one of not the greatest I give full credit to Danny Ford for all of his accomplishments) and certainly the best head in my lifetime I was born in 89 and I'm not counting my younger years into that but I can not say enough about all the great things Dabo has done for this program on and off the field as well he definitely gets my vote for head coach of the century and I wish him well in all his future endeavors

Oct 27, 2015, 4:36 PM

Beginning with the 2011 recruiting class. That has been the key to sustaining success year after year and going forward.

15 minutes after he got the job and fired SPence....***

Oct 27, 2015, 5:08 PM

About 10 minutes into this...

Oct 27, 2015, 6:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol2u8W_Movc

Oct 27, 2015, 6:05 PM

When i first saw his crazy a$$ dance skills.......

Oct 27, 2015, 6:30 PM

The press conference announcing he was the new head coach. I watch it occasionally. Everyone should go back and watch it. A very incredible human being and one who was and still is very thankful and blessed to be the head coach of our beloved university. Go back and watch it, you won't regret it

Oct 27, 2015, 6:36 PM

When he gave a significant portion of his salary to his assistant coaches!

Oct 27, 2015, 6:38 PM

When he inked that 2011 class in Feb. 2011 .
That said to me , this dude is serious about making Clemson better .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic