Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If we had our choice of any coach in America, I'd
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

If we had our choice of any coach in America, I'd

Sep 8, 2015, 6:15 PM

Take Dabo hands down. He is exactly what Clemson needed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simply put.***

Sep 8, 2015, 6:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: If we had our choice of any coach in America, I'd

Sep 8, 2015, 6:30 PM

yep it has proven to be a great hire

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unpopular, but..

Sep 8, 2015, 6:43 PM

I'd consider Saban.
Hear me out.. I LOVE Dabo. But you cannot be objective and not choose the coach with the proven track record of winning and championships. Bama players seem to get in trouble at the same rate as Clemson players, so despite the popular narrative, its pretty even.
I cannot stand Bama oversigning. That would have to go. But otherwise he runs and clean, respectable, winning program.

Now, where Dabo far surpasses Saban is in graduation rate. I love the marriage of academics and quality teams. But you'd be lying if you wouldn't choose the Nat Champs he has won at Bama to be sitting in our trophy room over the academics.

Its close to a push, and i can't think of anyone else over Dabo, but the choice of Saban would have to be considered. Hopefully most see that, including Dabo, as a complimemt of high praise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

we lack the number of deep pocketed Dr. and Lawyer alums that Bama turns

Sep 8, 2015, 7:00 PM

out to pay Saban's salary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

astute...

Sep 8, 2015, 7:04 PM

my uncle was a top 5 IPTAY donor 30 years ago, and he owned a salvage yard in North Augusta

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thirty some years ago, Clemson won a Natty

Sep 8, 2015, 8:25 PM

jus sayin'

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep! People would be amazed where the money

Sep 10, 2015, 10:09 AM [ in reply to astute... ]

Comes from in terms of professions BUT one thing for certain is money is flowing in from somewhere. Go Tigers

Re: we lack the number of deep pocketed Dr. and Lawyer alums that Bama turns

Sep 8, 2015, 7:44 PM [ in reply to we lack the number of deep pocketed Dr. and Lawyer alums that Bama turns ]

We lack the Oil money of Alabama because of the East coast drilling ban. I think that is where the Alabama and Louisiana teams get their bankrolls, they pump it out of the Gulf. Saban would not be able to accomplish what Dabo has with the comparatively limited funding the Clemson faithful can provide. I think we are in great shape.

Re: we lack the number of deep pocketed Dr. and Lawyer alums that Bama turns

Sep 9, 2015, 9:39 PM

no,it's the gulf shrimp.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

That's not the right way to view it.

Sep 8, 2015, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Unpopular, but.. ]

There's no guarantee that Saban will win another NC even at Bama. There is absolutely no way you can say his coaching skill or recruiting skills could have won a NC here.

Right now we sit on a gold mind that even Saban envies. He's still stuck in the past where a pro set QB can win. He even admitted it by hiring Lane Kiffen to install a spread. Lane Kiffen, the trash that took a deal with UT then left them at the beginning of the second football season and directed UT's incoming group not to go to class so they could follow him to USCw.

Nah, Saban is a has been in today's world of HUNH smash mouth offenses. Dabo is one generation behind Gus, one of the origins. Because of Dabo's ability to recruit both players and coaches we had the #1 defense in the country. Because of Dabo we have the best QB and WR corp in the country. We beat Saban out of this new wave of recruits. Dabo is the future. Saban is struggling to get out of the past.

We sucked before Dabo. He destroyed the term 'clemsoning,' that he inherited from his predecessor. Look at what Dabo has done and what we are expecting him to do in the next few years. Do you think his youth, dedication and vigor will fizzle in two or three more years?

Nope, I'm hoping Saban stays at Bama and we get a chance to try his all world beating defense with this bunch we have now. Do you honestly think Saban could have accomplished what Dabo has done here at Clemson? Remember now, Bama is one of the icon of the SEC, the SEC has ESPiN in their pocket. Kids watch ESPiN and notice that Bama is ranked at the top of the polls even after they drop a game. Bama went down in the first round last year.

Nah, I'm dancing with the one that brung me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen!***

Sep 8, 2015, 7:26 PM

I always appreciate your thoughtful replies and views.

Sep 8, 2015, 7:46 PM [ in reply to That's not the right way to view it. ]

I typed this once and my phone messed up, so here is the shorter response.

There is no guarantee Saban would have won here. But Bama was in shambles when he took over there, turned it around, and has won Natl Championships. Dabo has done the same job here, just without the titles, a significant difference.

7 years ago, Saban would have been a 10 year hire. So the longevity would have been worth it.

I would not trade Dabo today; I am all in with him and his vision. But, 7 years and a different hire ago, we could be saying the same thing about another coach. I'm simply acknowledging that fact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Thanks.

Sep 8, 2015, 7:53 PM

I'm still not sure Saban could have brought the same players here that he got at Bama. Bama is a historical football program. USCw, ND, OSU, UM, TN, UGAy,...the list goes on and on where Saban could have won NCs.

We don't have a program like that here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's fair. I guess i think the history is

Sep 8, 2015, 8:13 PM

made a big deal by the fanbase, but I'm not sure how important it is to a kid who has never seen a program be dominant.

Bama wasn't dominant and had not been for a while when Saban was hired. TCU only had LT back in the day, but kids choose TCU over Texas.

null

I grew up in TN.

Sep 8, 2015, 8:25 PM

I watched Bama and ND duke it out a couple of times. I saw the Bear coach. Danny is a first generation Bear pup. Dabo is a third generation Bear pup.

I probably had more confidence in Dabo that most Clemson fans because of that. Frankly, Dabo turned out to be a luck pick for me. I knew about his football heritage and his passion for Clemson. I had no idea he could do what he's done.

The choices were limited. Kiffen, Leach and Urban. I knew of no other and I could tell Urban wanted the job but I guessed he'd had a nervous breakdown at Florida. I'd see friend break under pressure, several friends. He fit the profile and had the symptoms. It was easy for me to like Dabo right off the bat. When he wept as he took the mike I knew we'd hired someone with the drive and passion to get it done. I also knew he was a Christian. That spoke volumes to me because I knew he wasn't playing politics with the issue.

Well said, '88

Sep 8, 2015, 8:21 PM [ in reply to That's not the right way to view it. ]

I'm with you.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Y'all can td me, but at least provide thoughtful response.

Sep 8, 2015, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Unpopular, but.. ]

I'm assuming in this scenario that I'm going back 7 years ago. If we had hired Gary Patterson, and he brought us where Dabo has, would we not spew the love we have for him the same way? I'm just acknowledging that at the time, the only other coach I'd truly consider, having the benefit of hindsight, would be Saban. Though Patterson would be there too I guess.

I am all in with Dabo, but to suggest he is the only coach that could have been a great hire is just narrow thinking.

I sure am glad he is ours and I hope he stays at Clemson a very long time.

null

I reserve the few TDs I give to troll from other schools.

Sep 8, 2015, 7:57 PM

If you hold your pointer over a member's pulse rate you can see what percentage they TU and TD other's post.

I hand out more than I give and I've given extremely few. I should still be at 0% TD. I can't honestly say why folks don't just say what they think instead of TDing. To each his own.

I'll give them for distasteful posts or hijacking

Sep 8, 2015, 8:15 PM

a good posts with bs politics, religion, or race. If it applies to the coversation then no prob, but lots of inappropriate use on here.. esp during downtime. And i own it when i do.

null

I save my TD's for Coot posers

Sep 8, 2015, 8:22 PM [ in reply to I reserve the few TDs I give to troll from other schools. ]

And I'm very generous.

Re: I save my TD's for Coot posers

Sep 8, 2015, 8:27 PM

Like IMissCJ

If you had any idea how bad it hurt my feelings...

Sep 9, 2015, 6:23 PM

You would stop...

Anybody that knows what they are doing can coach UA.***

Sep 8, 2015, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Unpopular, but.. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mike Shula must not have known what he was doing.***

Sep 8, 2015, 8:23 PM

Dabo vs. Saban thru first 88 games . . .

Sep 8, 2015, 8:20 PM [ in reply to Unpopular, but.. ]

Saban: 55-32-1 (63%)
Dabo: 62-26 (71%)

Saban: 1 conf championship
Dabo: 1 conf championship

Saban: 2 top 10 finishes
Dabo: 2 top 10 finishes

Saban: 2 top 15 finishes
Dabo: 3 top 15 finishes

Saban: 1 BCS Bowl
Dabo: 2 BCS Bowls

All based on records at "Power 5" schools (excluding Saban's one year at Toledo when he went 9-1).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I'd just like to point out...

Sep 8, 2015, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Unpopular, but.. ]

That in Dabo's first 6 full years of coaching ('09-'14) his record is 57-23 (71.25% winning pct). In Saban's first 6 full years as a head coach ('90, '95-'99) he went 43-26-1 (61.43% winning pct).

Re: I'd just like to point out...

Sep 9, 2015, 12:41 AM

I am no fan of coach Saban in some ways, but like that miserable sob Belicheck, he can coach and prepare. With those early games, keep in mind he has undertaken 3 major rebuilding jobs at Michigan St, Alabama, and dont even get me started on the crap show at LSU after Jerry Dinardo left. Say what you like, but the man can Coach. Still, I'm perfectly happy with who we have. I have said it before, will say it again, his first game against GT he started making a change right away to get rid of the culture of mediocrity and sluggishness. We lost that game (Still say robbed) , but in the end we are winning now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd just like to point out...

Sep 9, 2015, 7:15 AM

One of Sabins NC was a gift having to play LSU so don't count that one. He is a good coach, but I wouldn't want him. A few schools are always the media darlings, so until it is played on the field, it is a crap shoot We are fine where we are. With a little luck, we might have a couple of those in the next few years.

Teams with most arrests in the last 5 years....

Sep 9, 2015, 6:10 AM [ in reply to Unpopular, but.. ]

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/college-football-arrests-2015/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Urban is the best coach in CFB and would be

Sep 8, 2015, 6:49 PM

heavily considered. But yes Dabo would be 1B if you will.

I considered Urban, but I feel like he didn't do enough

Sep 8, 2015, 7:10 PM

to keep his guys accountable at Florida.
A Hernandez being the most obvious example.

null

Re: I considered Urban, but I feel like he didn't do enough

Sep 8, 2015, 7:13 PM

Yeah, God forbid kids get in trouble and the coach didn't do something to stop it and follow him 24/7.

Nobody ever gets in trouble at Clemson. And that's all on Dabo

Hold on.

Sep 8, 2015, 7:30 PM

Mike smoked pot. Mike wouldn't quit smoking pot. Dabo decided that he couldn't fix Mike, Mike was sent away. Mike has done nothing with his skill. Dabo was right, he couldn't help Mike and now Mike isn't influencing and contaminating our football team.

Sammy smoked pot and took prescription meds that weren't prescribed to him. Dabo suspended Sammy for two games. Sammy missed a chance to show his skills on a national stage and watch his team mates struggle to win without him. That meant something to Sammy and he caused no more trouble. Sammy made a fine first round draft pick and has had no known drug problems now.

Ammon had coke, a personal stash and not enough to be charged for resale. Dabo suspended Ammon and didn't permit him to return until after he faced the judge. The judge was happy with whatever punishment he gave Ammon. Ammon will serve a three game suspension for breaking team rules. Ammon is now seeing his team mates play without him. He's missed a significant amount of practice time. He may be watching his starting job be taken by a freshman replacement.

I think Dabo handles his business with an efficient and extremely successful method. I don't know of a winning D1 coach other than Coach Mark at UGAy that would send a five star running back down the road for smoking pot.

I held on, you're still stupid

Sep 8, 2015, 7:40 PM

And missed my whole point. Didn't even mention Dabo, more like taking up for Meyer because the previous poster said "he didn't agree with the way he handled Hernandez".

BAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm sure he loses sleep over that.

Anyways, as much as you people hate ESPN, you sure are quick to come here and back up your whole argument with only reports from what you SEE ON ESPN AND DONT ACTUALLY HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT

Re: I held on, you're still stupid

Sep 8, 2015, 7:42 PM

Was not making the point about Dabo, more or less being sarcastic about players behavior being a coaches fault

Stupid?

Sep 8, 2015, 7:48 PM

That's no way to have a conversation. Had you not gotten emotional you might have noticed that Urban was suggested as a candidate here. He impeached Urban's ability to handle his players and you defended Urban. I reinserted Dabo into the conversations with intent that we'd hire one who handled players better than Urban.

The conversation started with an OP statement about Dabo. It degraded to where they two of you were arguing about Urban. Threadjack! I just reminded you that this thread is about Dabo and I'm stupid? Sure.

Were you drunk last night? You didn't mention Dabo?

Sep 9, 2015, 7:08 AM [ in reply to I held on, you're still stupid ]

Re: I considered Urban, but I feel like he didn't do enough [1]
Posted: Sep 8, 2015 7:13 PM

Yeah, God forbid kids get in trouble and the coach didn't do something to stop it and follow him 24/7.

Nobody ever gets in trouble at Clemson. And that's all on Dabo

======================================================================================================

Dood, you give Clemson Fans a bad name.

31 arrests while Urban Meyer was at Florida

Sep 9, 2015, 6:16 AM [ in reply to Re: I considered Urban, but I feel like he didn't do enough ]

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-09-24/urban-meyer-talks-about-aaron-hernandez-florida-gators-31-arrests-ohio-state

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Urban was my second choice.

Sep 8, 2015, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Urban is the best coach in CFB and would be ]

I actually believe that he would be under less pressure here than at UF. He resigned, they fired him, who knows? He seemed fragile and I believe he had a nervous breakdown at UF.

I honestly didn't expect this much success this soon from anyone. We've walked in a desert of mediocrity for almost 30 years and Dabo was the first oasis we came across.

My first choice was Dabo. I could tell he was made of iron not plastic.

Sep 8, 2015, 6:50 PM

You've got Dabo, Urban Meyer, Saban and a wildcard of David Shaw from Stamford a in DRad's office, all 4 want the job. You're picking Dabo?

At the time, I wanted...

Sep 8, 2015, 6:58 PM

Gary Patterson. But it's hard to argue with the results that Dabo's achieved. Now we just need to take that last step to truly elite status...

That's cute***

Sep 8, 2015, 6:58 PM

I would take Mike Leach

Sep 8, 2015, 7:06 PM

just look what he's done as Washington State. They are now going down to the wire with and almost beating Portland State

if Wash St plays Portland St 10 times Wash St wins every

Sep 8, 2015, 7:23 PM

third game or so

He'd really only done one thing that bother me.

Sep 8, 2015, 7:32 PM [ in reply to I would take Mike Leach ]

"Fat little girl friends," was nothing but blaming his boys for the loss. It's a coach's job to keep his boys in line. If you can't handle them don't recruit and sign them. Looking at you SOS.

The difference is SOS doesn't give a *******

Sep 9, 2015, 12:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

he did a great job at texas tech

Sep 9, 2015, 6:21 PM [ in reply to He'd really only done one thing that bother me. ]

but so far as WSU things have not gone very well

Sep 8, 2015, 7:28 PM

Yes!

Absolutely agree. Dabo needed Clemson, Clemson needed dabo

Sep 8, 2015, 7:29 PM

I honestly think this was a perfect fit. I love dabo and what he has done for Clemson so far in his career. You can tell he loves coaching at Clemson and not a coach who is in just for the $$. He genuinely cares about this university, coaches, fans and players. His passion rubs off on the players and fans, who doesn't love watching a dabo interview after a big win? It seems to me that the players want to play for him and they understand what it means to be a Clemson football player. I hope Dabo is here for very, very long time. As long as dabo is our hc, Clemson will always have a good football team with great student athletes. Go tigers!

POTD.***

Sep 8, 2015, 7:41 PM

Danny Ford is still alive, right?

Sep 8, 2015, 7:45 PM

Nice bit of heresy on your part.

Mike Price***

Sep 9, 2015, 12:59 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

If Dabo and BV are a package

Sep 9, 2015, 12:13 PM

I'm buying.

I only know one other person who's manifest destiny...

Sep 10, 2015, 8:17 AM

so surely brought them to Clemson.

I was working at Combustion Engineering in Chatt. when Carter turned the EPA loose on nuclear power plants. Our nuclear division went from three shifts seven days to a skeleton crew on weekdays. The first week the laid off about twenty. I made the statement to my fellow workers that God determined where I worked not Combustion Engineering. I made about $9/hr in 1978. That was more than TVA and Duke Power paid and I was just a floor worker, the top jobs paid over $13/hr.

Two weeks later I was laid off. I moved to the Greenville area looking for work because Chattanooga had shut down. I had some experience in construction and Greenville had a thriving economy. After working in residential construction for a few years I started feeling like I was missing something in life. My party days had gone by in my mid twenties and my family had begun to grow.

One morning I awoke and realized what had been eating at me for the past few years. I'd forgotten to finish my education. Frankly, had I lived in Athens or Atl I'd be saying go dwags or go bees today but I didn't. I lived in Liberty. God had directed me toward Clemson for almost a decade. I had to be crushed and humble to move from Tennessee and the security of relatives and my heritage. I had to be desperate and confused to change my goals and dreams.

Dabo went through a similar process. Everybody's read the story. I've found that where God wants me to be is important for at least one good reason, God only wants us to be where we will be the most fulfilled and happy. Dabo and I belonged to Clemson long before either of us knew where Clemson was on a map.

Agreed.***

Sep 10, 2015, 9:49 AM

null

Personally I would take Bill Belichick

Sep 10, 2015, 10:50 AM

He certainly knows how to win championships.

ROH

Erma Jean Clausen - she has led the Pendleton UMC

Sep 10, 2015, 11:12 AM

ladies Bible class to wins against the powerhouse First Baptist from the vaunted SBC and took Newspring's pairs and spares class to the wire in the Lord's Bowl.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic