Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As we brace for the release of Civil War 2: Election Boogaloo
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

As we brace for the release of Civil War 2: Election Boogaloo

Oct 31, 2020, 7:07 AM

I’ve got some questions for the bored.

Does ones political beliefs and affiliation make them a bad person? Is liberalism a mental disorder as many here posit? Do Biden voters “hate America”?

I guess I’m wondering how many on here truly believe the other side is “the other.” I skew liberal on more issues than not, but I’ve come to those beliefs after having considered and held opposing positions. In my reading of books, news and the voices I take in, I find myself listening to conservative talk stations(this is more of a guilty pleasure) or perusing National Review. I’ve had Drudge bookmarked since the 00s.

More than half of my family falls on the ultra conservative side. We avoid political discussions, know where each other stand, and focus on loving each other and enjoying fellowship. All of that is to say I don’t believe conservatism is a moral defect at all. It’s just a different way of thinking about and solving sociopolitical problems.

There are many out there across all spectrums that can become detached from reality, zeroing in on only the things that confirm their biases, and consuming an endless stream of propaganda like media. I’ve lost some relationships over negativity among my extended family.

Groups like QAnon whose “you’re either for us or you’re for the pedophiles” messaging create not just a belief but sense of urgency. I pretty well know what will happen if Trump pulls off the upset. It’s somewhere we’ve been before as a country, there will be months of unrest and then life will return to a normal state after some time. Biden will concede and life will move on.

I’m not sure we’re prepared for a Biden win. The President has been saying daily that fraud is the only way he could lose the election, a laughable assertion that’s been internalized as fact by many of his supporters. I guess my concern is for the possibility of extended armed conflict between Americans who no longer see each other as fellow Americans.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As we brace for the release of Civil War 2: Election Boogaloo

Oct 31, 2020, 7:32 AM

Based on "political purity tests" that you see that analyze your beliefs based on stances on issues, I land almost absolute dead-center in the political spectrum. I tend to skew libertarian - meaning, belief in small government, distrust of government control, dislike of authoritarianism - and I lean closed to conservative in terms of fiscal policy. (My wife says I'm just cheap, FWIW!) Whatever, I almost pathologically hate spending more than you make. Live within your means and don't take more than you contribute has always been my mantra. I hate debt and I absolutely hate owing anyone money.

Socially, I'm pretty laissez-faire. You do you. I'll do me. I'm fine with whatever as long as you're not in my face. I like most folks and get along with most everybody, and I don't regard any side as intrinsically "worse" than others. Conservatives tend to be more your salt-of-the-Earth types...more hostile to strangers and tribal, but also, in my experience, more loyal to intimates, and more generous and open-handed with those they do care about. Liberals tend to have great ideas and great ideals but often can't balance a checkbook, and they can be (in my experience) more than a little flighty. I think it might be as simple as right-brained versus left-brained orientation (which, interestingly, is actually the reverse of political orientation, since the right-brained tend to be more creative and the left-brained more pragmatic.)

Whatever, the idea that the two sides are somehow enemies is rank populism, and the people who foster those ideas that the guy next to you isn't a real 'Merricun are the actual enemies. And most of those people are the fringe ideologues and populists on the extremes of either side who like to stir up sh!t.

I don't like Commies, who think the rich are giant piggy banks to be turned over and the change shaken out of their pockets. On the other hand I don't like Fascists who follow every strongman because he vents what they perceive as masculine strength at his enemies either, and I really detest the hyper-capitalistic nihilists who just want to get theirs and enable the Fascists because it pays well - you know, pretty much the entire crew at Fox News, and wide swathes of businessmen who are in it for the dollar bills, so eff everyone else.

FWIW.

The only way to prevent a civil war

Oct 31, 2020, 7:40 AM

would be to create an ultra violent reality game show where members from both parties compete in physical and mental challenges and elimination equals death, think american gladiators, but with giant circular saws and pits of fire beneath the rope swings. It would give the mob something to focus their anger on and would be the most anticipated and watched television series of all time.

This worked for the Romans when their civilization was in decline, I think we are ready for this as a culture as well.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The only way to prevent a civil war

Oct 31, 2020, 7:44 AM

Call me old school, but I was thinking more.....

Oct 31, 2020, 7:48 AM

Q is a marginal group, just as Antifa is

Oct 31, 2020, 7:46 AM

Not sure that Q is out burning buildings or not but Antifa surely is. Havent seen white nationalists(nuther marginal group) burning buildings either....

Most of us are not that different, just a bit here and there...

You’re right in that most of the destruction and unrest

Oct 31, 2020, 7:58 AM

we’ve been seeing is coming from marginal groups. I’ve never wielded a brick or molotov in my life, nor have I provided cover or tacit support for those that do. There’s no moral high ground that can be held when violence is the response to political differences.

Both extremes are dangerous for the future of this country.

I guess I’m just hoping that the record amount of guns and ammo purchased in the last year are just collectors beefing up their cabinets or folks that really like shooting clays and deer.

That and people just thinking that they need

Oct 31, 2020, 8:04 AM

additional protection at home, replacing old weapons. I've got an old pistol that I'm thinking about replacing so my mrs can learn to use. Current one she wouldnt touch...

My 12 gauge pump shotgun is a classic

Are you sure you want to train Mrs Bengaline to

Oct 31, 2020, 8:10 AM

handle a firearm, this could work out badly for you... ;)

Yeah, there is that risk!***

Oct 31, 2020, 8:12 AM

And it's the margins fighting for power

Oct 31, 2020, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Q is a marginal group, just as Antifa is ]

That's why things don't end well sometimes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2020, 8:15 AM

All I really know is that when married women sleep with me, their husbands are liberal 85% of the time. Weird.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Trump supporters are generally nice people

Oct 31, 2020, 9:21 AM

They are just completely misinformed. My extended family is the same way. Their misconceptions about left leaning people are obvious. And their worship of Trump is partly due to where they their news.

Biden supporters are generally nice people...

Oct 31, 2020, 11:27 AM

they're just very condescending because they think they are smarter and better informed than other people and often do not realize when they are speaking in generalities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Biden supporters are generally nice people...

Oct 31, 2020, 11:44 AM

by virtue of not watching Fox News, anyone would be more informed.

Re: Biden supporters are generally nice people...

Oct 31, 2020, 11:53 AM

<###### async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really don't care if you think I am being partisan

Oct 31, 2020, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Biden supporters are generally nice people... ]

or generalizing. We can talk about what liberals get wrong, but Trumpism is curated for dumb thinking. In general, Trump supporters are less educated and get their news from crap sources. Sorry.

I get along better with Trump supporters, but they often have a dumbed-down opinion about every issue that is not as simple as black and white. Add in the conspiracy part, and there you have it.

Oct 31, 2020, 11:53 AM

STOP! JUST STOP IT. A GAME IS ON***

Oct 31, 2020, 1:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2020, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: As we brace for the release of Civil War 2: Election Boogaloo ]

Don't forget about their racism against white people but have a crusty old white man as the leader of their party. Something don't add up here.

Nov 1, 2020, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Re: As we brace for the release of Civil War 2: Election Boogaloo ]

I’m probably closer to a Libertarian than anything. I like the status quo because it’s worked well for a long time and the less government intervention the better.

You are probably the most "law and order" person here and favor over-policing. You are also opposed to laissez-faire economics. You're nowhere near the Libertarian spectrum.

And there are numerous reports coming out over the last few days of armed Trump supporters harassing Biden supporters. There was a case in my hometown of Trumpies driving around on Halloween last night screaming profanities and threats at children who were standing in Biden/Harris yards.

They will get violent after Trump loses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic