Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year?

Jul 25, 2017, 8:04 PM

Down the stretch, they folded like a cheap accordion. They are probably only surpassed by the coot team that went from 6-0 to 6-6. Letting average teams manhandle them was somewhat unbelievable. Did they simply give up after they knew that CLEMSON would go to the ACCCG? Did the coach do something to lose the team? And the most important thing is - Will UL continue this below average play into the 2017 season? If they play like they did at the end of the season, CLEMSON may have the UL fans leaving at halftime.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year?

Jul 25, 2017, 8:11 PM

Possibly a team built on transfers lacked leadership once a championship went out of the picture and Petrino, although a great tactician, is not a unifying coach. I believe Petrino and the former DC, Grantham, had very public disagreements and helped the poor team morale.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 25, 2017, 8:56 PM

Couldn't have said it better. Building a team is a combination of leadership and talent. Superior talent can do great things, but leadership sustains and produces championships. Once things started to break down, it collapsed quickly. Even more evident now but Ole Miss w/ Chad Kelly was another example. When things get difficult players start blaming each other and fall apart. Dabo has taken that to an extreme with Clemson and not only builds leaders, but 90% of the players he recruits have strong character and have what it takes to become leaders. This foundation makes this "rebuilding year" just another opportunity to prove people wrong.

null

Jul 25, 2017, 10:22 PM

I agree. It wasn't a talent issue, it came down to leadership and Lamar's maturity.

We broke their season and they never recovered. They beat us and they would have been in one of the top bowls if not the CFP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 25, 2017, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year? ]

Bingo!

In addition to all the transfers not having any investment or connection to the university, we showed the country how to beat Louisville with our first half game plan. Others just used our plan for both halves.

When Petrino and the Governor of Kentucky, went on the

Jul 25, 2017, 11:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year? ]

rampage about the refs in our game, a game that Louisville ran 99 plays without one holding call, the team went down hill after that. I could not believe it when they only ran about 70 plays agianst Houston, yet they had 6 or 7 holding calls and gave up 11 sacks. But, agianst us, the number 2 team in the nation in sacks, they did not HOLD ONE TIME. Great game by their Oline I guess.

I just think they ran out of steam. Their OL was awful, look

Jul 25, 2017, 8:12 PM

How many times LJ was sacked last season.

Jul 25, 2017, 8:13 PM

Other teams defenses started figure out how to stop Lamar. I like to think coach V gave them the blueprint.

^ What this guy said ^

Jul 25, 2017, 8:57 PM

Make him beat you with his arm alone. Stop his run game and take away easy passes. Still don't know how he beat out DW for Heisman.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^ What this guy said ^

Jul 26, 2017, 6:53 AM

He wowed the voters with his games against Syracuse, FSU, Marshall and Charlotte....... That's how....

Charlotte. 286 passing with 6 TDs 119 rushing with 2 TDs
Syracuse. 411 passing 1 TD, 199 rushing with 4 TDs
FSU 216 passing with 1 TD, 146 rushing 4 TDs
Marshall 417 passing with 5 TDs, 62 rushing with 2 TDs.

That's 1330 yards passing 13 touchdowns and 526 yards rushing 12 TDs

That's how he did it. Losing 3 in a row at the end of the year should have been the more telling tale of the most valuable player in college football, not 3 blowouts against nobody's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^ What this guy said ^

Jul 26, 2017, 9:27 AM

Yeah man I know what they were thinking I just don't understand how they could think that way when you consider that he is not the total package like DW nor does he win like DW.

What blueprint? They scored 36 on us...

Jul 25, 2017, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year? ]

And most of that was done in 2 quarters. And they probably should have scored another TD.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: What blueprint? They scored 36 on us...

Jul 25, 2017, 9:47 PM

We had 5 turnovers and I remember at least two of them being in the red zone. The game was on the verge of being a blowout and we kept them in it.

^ Gets it ^

Jul 26, 2017, 9:30 AM

I was not impressed by Louisville after our game. Our guys being sloppy is what kept them in it. Should've been a blowout.

More like Houston gave people the blueprint

Jul 26, 2017, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year? ]

We didn't stop Jackson except for two quarters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The moment Josh Harvey-Clemons went down

Jul 25, 2017, 8:44 PM

with injury / they were never the same. He was the heart & soul of that defense. Think
they had other injuries to D - but that was the
big one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had more to do with the OL than the defense

Jul 26, 2017, 11:52 AM

The only game where their defense was really an issue was the Kentucky game, and you're right that Harvey-Clemons was out for that one.

The exact same thing that happens to every single

Jul 25, 2017, 8:57 PM

Bobby Petrino team every single year.

Look awesome in 7-8 games
Play a couple close
Lose 2-3, including at least one you have no business losing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

HEY TOMMY BOWDEN IS A GOOD CHRISTIAN MAN!!!

Jul 25, 2017, 9:31 PM

Oh wait sorry, I got confused for a second because those resumes look identical

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Butthurt Coot...***

Jul 25, 2017, 9:41 PM

are you trying to smack talk?***

Jul 25, 2017, 9:48 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You...?***

Jul 25, 2017, 9:59 PM

They should have lost to a bad UVA team. If UVA would have

Jul 25, 2017, 11:21 PM [ in reply to The exact same thing that happens to every single ]

bled the clock another 20 seconds before they pushed the ball into the endzone for the lead, they win that ballgame. They ran that play with around 30 seconds left on the play clock. The clock was running, and they should ran it down at least 15 seconds. If they didn't score, they could have called timeout and ran another play. Instead, they left enough time for Louisville to run 4-5 plays, with the last one a 35-40 yard TD pass for the win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They should have lost to a bad UVA team. If UVA would have

Jul 26, 2017, 10:52 AM

They definitely could've taken more time off the clock, but there was about 2 minutes left when they scored. Don't think it would've made much difference, as UVA wasn't doing much to stop them late in the game, but you never know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

@Francis - you may have stumbled on the next coot coach

Jul 26, 2017, 6:25 AM [ in reply to The exact same thing that happens to every single ]

the description was exactly what the coots have done historically. Maybe Petrino is the coach in waiting in Chickentown. They like mopeds, but would have to import an attractive female.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Character (or lack thereof) of Coaches and

Jul 25, 2017, 9:04 PM

the players they recruit determine the discipline and resoluteness of a team.

Jul 25, 2017, 9:26 PM

Got Clemsoned .

Quit .

DB23

Jul 25, 2017, 9:36 PM

Petrino is a jerk. Players don't like him, and don't trust him. They respect his playcalling acumen and tactical brain but they know he's a snake. When he left Atlanta in 2007 (in the middle of the night, after being hired at Arkansas with three games left on the NFL schedule) he left a generic four-sentence typewritten letter on the players' lockers, and vanished without a personal word to anyone. See ya.

His teams tend to be a bunch of mercenaries. He's always loaded up on huge numbers of transfer players who were unwanted other places, usually for good reason. Team morale is usually nonexistent, and players will slit the throat of the guy next to them for their roster spot.

This leads to a culture of guys who are the starters, and then everybody else. Guys tend to lose big on Petrino-coached teams and are discarded with few tears and zero fanfare and often never play football again. He only plays 13-14 guys on each side of the ball; the rest of the team sits and rots. Petrino barely even reps them and runs a huge chunk of them off, every season. Particularly on offense Petrino will almost exclusively rep his starters. This does allow him to run a huge playbook because the starters get so many reps and do a lot of very complicated things and this tends to make him very effective early.

This lack of depth tends to bite them towards the end of the year. Guys get chipped up and banged up and get too many miles on them and you see the same nosedive in performance, every season. They just plain run out of gas and capable bodies down the stretch. And when his teams start losing, they tank because the players aren't there for love of team, or Louisville, or one another.

He usually leaves places after less than four years. Actually I think this is the first time he's ever been anywhere longer than four. Historically he's always left gutted locker rooms behind him, and observers have been shocked how little talent he leaves behind. He doesn't recruit well and the way he just discards players usually leaves programs behind him in need of complete rebuild. That short-term focus tends to be pretty much the story with Petrino. He does what he wants in the now, and simply doesn't concern himself with long-term consequences or the inevitable fallout, which is actually kind of psychopath behavior.

I don't think they're going to be very good this year. The Cards lost a ton on both lines, and their defense looks incredibly shaky - always something that invariably happens because Petrino doesn't recruit defensive players hardly at all - and he lost a ton of veteran WR's and TE's.

The bad part is that Louisville, as always, will be most dangerous early while they're still fresh into the season and still healthy, and while Petrino still has what is always a very deep playbook to delve into without us having a whole lot if any film on it...and before they've had too much time to turn on one another. And of course, they get us in September. At home. When they're going to have a frenetic home crowd and still have a lot of hope. I'd have much preferred to see them in November this year, when I suspect they'll be DOA down the stretch.

Appreciate your perspective. interesting summary of Petrino.

Jul 25, 2017, 9:50 PM

Regardless, I think we dominate them on the lines on both sides.... I see a 2 TD+ beat down away... There are some guys that I think want to give Lamer a little 'extra', for DW4 if nothing else...

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Jul 25, 2017, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year? ]

Plus he can't ride.

DB23

Maybe it was the hand job....***

Jul 25, 2017, 10:33 PM

I'm not sure most of this is correct

Jul 26, 2017, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone have a clue as to what happened to UL last year? ]

They're still pretty good at DL and LB, and they have a few good players in the secondary.

Opposing coaches had more film on them

Jul 25, 2017, 9:55 PM

Same way a new baseball player like Yasiel Puig seemed to be the greatest hitter ever when he first came up to the big leagues. Then once people game planned his weaknesses now he's no longer invincible.

I think Clemson showed that the best way to attack their offense is to make LJ think fast and not be comfortable.

It's not like Houston or LSU did anything really creative

Jul 26, 2017, 7:58 AM

to shut them down though. Their OL was just a turnstile. Ed Oliver was in Jackson's face about 1 second after the ball was snapped on every play.

Jul 25, 2017, 11:22 PM

Reminded me of us in 2006.

Jul 26, 2017, 6:54 AM

Yeah, 11 years ago really is pertinent today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They ran into some elite D linemen and their OL was

Jul 26, 2017, 7:56 AM

complete garbage at the end of the year and couldn't protect Jackson at all.

The only things that I find strange is that they managed to put up big yardage against our elite DL earlier in the season. I don't know if their OL just fell apart down the stretch or what. The team that played us in DV would've beaten Houston and Kentucky, and at least given LSU a game.

Finally, somebody else with some actual analysis

Jul 26, 2017, 11:55 AM

Totally agree on what you said about them being different against Houston and LSU than they were against us, FSU, NC State, BC, etc. They actually wiped the field with Kentucky on offense, but their defense gave up a bunch of big plays and they turned it over too many times.

With those Christmas ornament helmets...

Jul 26, 2017, 9:22 AM

maybe they were just really looking forward to being home for the holidays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Teams figured something out after the Houston game

Jul 26, 2017, 11:48 AM

The thing is, they played some teams with pretty good DLs in Clemson, FSU, NC State, and BC before they played Houston, and they still scored a bunch of points and racked up a bunch of yards. So either their OL got worse by the Houston game, or Houston did something different. I can't think of any other reason why the they would've played so much worse on offense against Houston and LSU than they did against others. The Kentucky game was different because they turned it over a bunch of allowed some big plays on defense. They would've won that one if not for a few turnovers.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic