Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody want to give some suggestions on a first trip to Hawaii?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Anybody want to give some suggestions on a first trip to Hawaii?

Feb 28, 2017, 6:06 PM

Looking to go with my wife, leaving kids behind. We like the beach but don't like to share with a hundred other people. Don't need te night life. Would love to hike to waterfalls, snorkel that sort of thing. But we are both pretty laid back and don't really need the city or the night life. Wouldn't mind a couple of nice dinners. If anybody feels like making suggestions I'll listen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maui or Kauai from what you

Feb 28, 2017, 6:12 PM

Described you want. My wife and I went to Maui a few years ago and stayed near Lahaina. Cool little town with good restaurants and very easy to drive around the island to see waterfalls and snorkel in different spots. Kauai is fantasy island. Much more quiet (not that Maui is loud). Lots of waterfalls and the fern grotto is there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and btw maui was incredible...

Feb 28, 2017, 6:14 PM

My personal favorite island in Hawaii and I've been to Kauai, Oahu, the big island as well. You really can't go wrong with any but Maui had the right mix of not being heavily populated like Oahu and still having things to do.

Maui No Ka Oi. It is the best. Everyone should go to Maui***

Feb 28, 2017, 8:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: and btw maui was incredible...

Feb 28, 2017, 11:27 PM [ in reply to and btw maui was incredible... ]

To me, Kauai is the most beautiful!!! Also you can get the best buds on the big Island!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: maui or Kauai from what you

Feb 28, 2017, 7:12 PM [ in reply to maui or Kauai from what you ]

Watch out for chickens! The place is overrun with yardbirds.

^^^ Agree 100%

Feb 28, 2017, 8:53 PM [ in reply to maui or Kauai from what you ]

Went to Maui a few years back. Lahaina is a great small town, quiet. Take the road to Hana for some majestic scenery and waterfalls.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Negative! I did this on my honeymoon

Feb 28, 2017, 9:49 PM

And had a local from Hana cut a corner 1/2 way there and we had an accIdent. Obviously his fault but I was SC and he was local. Wasted a full day dealing with the BS.

Had a great time on Maui for the other 4 days. LaHanai is great.

Also had a great time on Oahu. Polynesian culture center was great. Pearl Harbor r is a must.

Go to Kauai & take a helicopter tour

Mar 1, 2017, 1:11 PM [ in reply to maui or Kauai from what you ]

Unreal.

Word of caution if you want to catch sunrise on Mt. Haleakala on Maui. We were staying in Kapalua and had to leave at 3am. They don't tell you its often cloudy at the top and can't really see anything (happened to us). On the good side my wife had to take a nap when we got back so I got to sneak in a round of golf while she slept.

Re: Anybody want to give some suggestions on a first trip to Hawaii?

Feb 28, 2017, 6:28 PM

Set aside two weeks. it takes one whole day to get there and settled in, and almost two days to get back and get your legs under you.

Get your copy of "Hawaii for Dummies". It really has a lot of good , sensible info about the Islands.

Do not overpack, They have washing machines and dryers over there. Consider staying on at least two differnt islands during your trip. We did Maui 5 days/4nights, Hawaii 6/5 and Oahu 1/1 to spend Easter 2002 there at Pearl Harbor.

DO NOT MISS PEARL HARBOR.

If you are there late March/early April, the whales from Alaska may still be in the waters there. Plan a catamaran trip one day. The Lahaina Luau is not the only good Luau on the islands. We found a lot of good local places to eat. Food was prolly our most expensive item.

Kona on the Big Island(Hawaii) is a neat town.

Mahalo. Tell Scott Pagano we said "HI!"

Kauai or the big island (Hawai'i).

Feb 28, 2017, 6:33 PM

Oahu has some interesting stuff but Honolulu (and much of the island) is crowded.

Maui is nice but is pretty touristy too.

Lanai and Molokai are nice.

Feb 28, 2017, 6:34 PM

If you play golf, rent clubs over there so you won't have to lug them all over the place and to and from.

Rent a topless vehicle for a day just to sight-see. On Maui, the road to Hana is 30 miles long with at least 54 bridges, Only God Knows How Many Curves: If you get car sick, stay away...

Have FUN!

Feb 28, 2017, 7:00 PM

Been there four times - twice each to Maui and Oahu. Maui fits your description, and it has every ecosystem. Several areas to stay. Kapalua is where you'll have a rain shower or two each day with incredible rainbows. The opposite end of the island is dryer.
Check out Lahaina, a small fishing and surfing village. Also, look for Mama's Fish Camp (or House), where the movie 50 First Dates was filmed. It's on the way up to a state or national park where you'll find awesome hiking.

If you go to Oahu, the North Shore will be your best bet. Small surfing town call Haleiwa Town is a great place to chill. If you end up in Waikiki, look for the Hiking Hawaii Cafe. They have good food and offer great tours.

Wherever you end up, enjoy!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WL

Feb 28, 2017, 7:27 PM

Spend as little time in Oaho as possible. Only Pearl Harbor is worth the visit. Take in Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island. We did the 26 mile downhill bicycle ride from the top of Haleakala to the beach in Maui. Great experience. If you go to the volcano on the Big Island, do the helicopter ride at night. It's beautiful.

Feb 28, 2017, 7:32 PM

MAUI....Plantation House Restaurant at Kapalua-can't miss.The Ritz restaurant-outdoor one-can't miss.Restaurant "O" on the beach in Lahaina-can't miss.Snorkeling good.Wife & I've been several times.If you like sushi there's a place in Kapalua village that's outstanding.Can't recall name.
Have fun regardless and wear that Championship stuff!!

Feb 28, 2017, 8:03 PM

Kauai and Maui in that order

Feb 28, 2017, 8:04 PM

Whatever you do get a car or a tour out in the countryside. I had always discounted Hawaii, with Don Ho schmaltz with "Tiny Bubbles" and assumed it could not be significantly better than the Caribbean. I was wrong. The sea is at least as beautiful, and every bend of he road you go around is a post card. Honolulu is not especially great but is fairly expensive. Do the hike on Diamond Head though, it is worth it unless you are too out of shape.

Greenest place I have ever seen. I was only on Oahu, some say the other islands are even more spectacular. The wife and I are going again this summer. I don't think you can go wrong.

Feb 28, 2017, 8:11 PM

I have been a couple of times (Maui and Oahu), and you can find anything you mentioned you want to enjoy there. The food, the scenery and the Polynesian history is very special. Enjoy your trip! Please take some time to travel around and see some of the beautiful agriculture and enjoy the food. Learn some of the history, too. It is a special place, for sure. Golf is fun, too. Hard to figure which way the greens break, since they break towards the water, and water surrounds the whole state. Enjoy the pineapple. It is to die for since it is harvested ripe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 28, 2017, 11:39 PM

But you better don't get caught in a pineapple field if you can deal with those thorns on the pineapple bush. And only 1 pineapple grows on a bush. When I left there in 1989, it was a $500. dollar fine getting caught picking a pineapple, and you can buy one fresh out the field from a road side vendor for just a couple of buck. And you can also buy a fresh chilled coconut from the vendors, and they will put the hole in it to drink the coconut milk if you want them to!!!

Mar 1, 2017, 10:19 PM

And it really is best right out of the field before it is chilled or processed in any way. Truthfully, I didn't really like pineapple until I had it there. It isn't the same when it is right out of the field. Also, I was very fortunate that I worked for an agricultural company that helped them with their production practices, so I got to enjoy things most folks don't get to experience. Very fortunate!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Going back to Oahu for the 2nd time in 3 weeks.

Feb 28, 2017, 8:38 PM

If you choose Oahu, there is a LOT to do. I Stayed downtown in Waikiki, right on the beach and never thought it was crowded on the beaches at all. One day, I'm going to try to go over to Maui though as I didn't get there last time.

- Hike Diamond head, great views, quick hike and you can go do the next thing on your list.

- Pearl Harbor, Really sobering...but well worth it.

- The North Shore (I just happen to get lucky and got to see the Eddie Aikau in 2009. This a rare event as they only have it when the waves get over 40 feet. We got to see a few monster waves over 50 feet). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaP8bMo498

- Brunch at Turtle Bay (play golf if you can), only a 3-4 miles from The North Shore. Several tv shows and movies filmed here. Good stuff!!

- Dole Pineapple Farm is worth the stop on the way up to the North Shore. Doesn't get any fresher.

- Snorkeling Hanauma Bay: http://www.shakatourshawaii.com/eco-tours/hanauma-bay-snorkeling Beautiful place!!

- Hike around Kualoa Ranch - This is where some of Jurassic Park was filmed. The mountains go straight up, quite impressive looking!!

- Do yourself a favor and try a mix drink called the Tropical Itch. That is one tasty beverage!

If you go to Downtown Honolulu, eat a Duke's Restaurant for just one meal. Really, really good food!!

Lastly, where ever you go, you should check out a luau. Drinks re great, service is great, food is great!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You must have had our travel guide... Just kiddin' but the

Feb 28, 2017, 8:58 PM

only thing we DIDN'T do was the snorkeling trip, though we did do some others... Stayed at the Hilton and everything was convenient. The previous time, we stayed on Maui on a neat little cove at place called Napili Kai (sp?). Did the 'Road to Hana' in a Jeep and played on the rentals over at Kapalua... Much more laid back...

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

check out Norwegian cruise from Oahu

Feb 28, 2017, 8:52 PM

Goes to the 4 big islands. 2 stops on Hawaii and kuwai. Has every excursion imaginable. Road to Hana, volcanoes, kona, Pearl Harbor, and the unmissable napali coastline. Never have to move your luggage

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^THIS...a thousand times this ^^^^***

Feb 28, 2017, 10:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 28, 2017, 9:30 PM

My vote is Maui (for what you describe). Amazing and many beaches, easy to find one not 'too' crowded. Little Beach - next to Big Beach - is a nude beach... just saying.... Hana Highway is an awesome day trip. Haleakala Volcano trip and watching sun rise 'in' the crater is cool (and cold!). You can then bicycle down the mountain - half day + ride, nice scenery (which is not necessary to say, I guess; ALL of Hawaii is gorgeous! ).This time of the year (winter) is AMAZING whale watching time. By boat or while laying on the beach, swimming, snorkeling. GREAT golf courses. Lahaina is a cool shopping and dining option - old whaling village. You can go out to Molokini - small 'atoll' off the coast of Maui, about 10 mikes or so - for some amazing snorkeling.

Yep, Maui was a GREAT trip!

Oahu has LOTS to do also, but I found it to be more developed, crowded and 'touristy'. BTW: I found Honolulu to be 'Miami in the Pacific'.

The 'Big Island' of Hawaii is beautiful, too, but we found it to be far more 'rural' and spread out, with not necessarily a lot of 'entertainment' options, etc.

We plan to go to Kaui next, but have I heard it is more laid back ('rural'?). And it's the smallest of the four 'main' islands.

(There's also Molokai - former leper colony, which is now 'safe' - but not a lot of development there, so not a tourist destination other than some hiking, horse riding, and four wheeling (guided) excursions; and l don't think us "ha'oles" can go to Nihau)

Botton line, however: you can NOT go 'wrong' going to ANY of the four major islands!

Enjoy!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Kauai

Feb 28, 2017, 9:51 PM

Kauai is the most secluded, lest crowded, and great hiking through wiemea canyon.

Little to no crowds there. Stay in Poipu and you can drive to Napali Coast or the Canyons for day trips.

Excellent peace and quiet in paradise.

Try the botanical gardens near poipu, gorgeous and I don't even like stuff like that...

Maui would be my 2nd choice.

Oahu is touristy and crowded. The Big Island is for old people.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The first time I went....

Feb 28, 2017, 10:31 PM

we flew to the big island and then cruised to all of the other islands on Norwegian. It was awesome !!!!

You get overnights in both Maui and Kauai as well as visits to Oahu and the Big Island of Hawaii.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Napali Coast zodiac boat tour - spinner dolphin right at

Feb 28, 2017, 10:40 PM

your finger tips . . . some of the most amazing scenery over there.

Helicopter tour of Kauai was amazing . . . indescribable.

Luau on Kauai.

Mule ride down the cliffs to the leper colony - incredible scenery.

Hike out to the lava flow at night in Volcano National Park - Big Island. Unforgettable experience.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Feb 28, 2017, 10:49 PM

If you are in the military, or retired from the military, I would highly recommend the Hale Koa Hotel. The rates are much lower than the other hotels. It has a lot of shops also.

Go Tigers!

Feb 28, 2017, 11:23 PM

Hanauma Bay state park for snorkeling. The fish will eat frozen corn out of your hands. Then the north shore for the huge waves!!! But be very careful, and do not let the kids in the water on the north shore bc the undercurrent is a monster, and it will take them from you and you will never see them again... I'm 5'11" 210, and the undercurrent pulled me down in just a foot of water, and took me out so far that my wife lost sight of me, a surfer hand to help me get back in, dead serious!!! Also, if one of those monster waves crashes down on you, you will be held under water maybe longer than you can hold your breath. It's beautiful, it's fun, and it's very dangerous during the winter months if you're not very careful, and take it in small amounts at a time... But you will love it, I lived there for 4 years and loved every second of it. And the smell is awesome!!!

Mar 1, 2017, 1:32 AM

2 suggestions come to mind... Take an ambien before takeoff each way & buy yourselves one of these if snorkeling is on the agenda (game-changer):

https://www.amazon.com/Seaview-Degree-Panoramic-Snorkel-Design/dp/B01K3Q1AYA?tag=outsidepursuits-20

Don't try to drive the whole thing from Cali to HI.***

Mar 1, 2017, 6:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wheeew, thx, saved me some embarasssment . . .***

Mar 1, 2017, 3:19 PM

Mar 1, 2017, 6:36 AM

We stayed on Waikiki, beach was not crowded. Waikiki and Honolulu is like most cities, traffic. If you're staying on Oahu, lots of things to do for free ,,20 years ago. Diamond head, couple of water falls to hike to, Hanauma Bay is awesome. While there, walk around the bay on the left around the point, all rock so be careful, there is what they call the toilet bowl. Spent couple of hours there. Big flat rock with hole in the middle, waves come in and shoots out and then sucks back in, you can jump in and it will spit u out. Lots of fun, not may get bumps and bruises, well worth it. Luau is a must. Also go to Motsimoto's for Hawaiin shave ice. Pearl harbor is a must.

Mar 1, 2017, 6:44 AM

Go snuba (not scuba) diving and take a helicopter tour!

North Shore Kauai for sure*****

Mar 1, 2017, 7:32 AM

Watch out for McGarrett, he's a loose cannon***

Mar 1, 2017, 9:10 AM

Mar 1, 2017, 10:10 AM

Maui for sure was my favorite.

Agree re Maui just don't take 1 lane road like I did***

Mar 1, 2017, 11:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you go in the spring whales breaching in Maui***

Mar 1, 2017, 11:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My fave is Pa'ia on the north end of Maui

Mar 1, 2017, 3:05 PM

It's a bohemian little town outside of Lahaina. It's the "last stop" before starting the remote part of the road to Hana. I've stayed at Pa'ia Inn several times and have never had anything but 5 star experiences. I had breakfast there one morning and Owen Wilson biked up, had a cup of coffee and chatted up the waitress. The whole #### place is almost too laid back. I considered quitting my job, leaving my wife and getting a job as a bartender on my last trip there.

Even if you don't stay in Pa'ia, you should stop and have dinner one night at Charlie's. If you're lucky, part time local resident Willie Nelson will settle up to the bar in the back.

Pa'ia also has the best eats, in my opinion, on the island. Mama's Fish House, Milagro's (Tex mex), Flatbread and Pa'ia Fish Market and Cafe des Amis are all excellent.

I've been to all of the islands and Maui is my fave, Kauai is a very close 2nd. Avoid Oahu...it's Hawaiian for Myrlte Beach.

Mar 2, 2017, 12:43 AM

If you are willing to live a little dangerously, Stairway to Heaven is awesome! http://canyouactually.com/the-notoriously-illegal-4000-step-stairway-to-heaven-in-hawaii-is-pure-insanity/

Lava is hot***

Mar 2, 2017, 8:32 AM

Mar 2, 2017, 9:15 AM

Yes take me

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Mar 2, 2017, 9:17 AM

well I guess my husband and your wife would not like that, but it's the first thing I thought

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

can't go wrong with Maui

Mar 2, 2017, 10:22 AM

lots of good restaurants

plenty to do

places where you can find un-crowded beaches

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic