Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any ideas why Spur's stock of current players seems to be so much less talented overall.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Any ideas why Spur's stock of current players seems to be so much less talented overall.

Sep 4, 2015, 11:14 AM

Saying, this current squad is no where near the talent level IMO that beat the Tigers 3 straight with good lines, RB's, dB's, etc. ( last two years we just didn't produce with probably better overall talent).

Of course, he's never had a Watson-like talented QB (but Conner Shaw was a prolific producer way beyond his ratings) or he would have done even better the past 5-7 years.

What say you on their current talent level..which I feel will not be up to beating us in Nov bar a rash of injuries.

GoTiGERS..keep RocKing!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oversigning

Sep 4, 2015, 11:20 AM

You screw enough kids and you don't get enough good athletes to come to your school. With the exception of hitting on a few here and there, his recruiting tactics the last 3-4 years have now shown up on the field.

Also, because of those OVERSIGNING tactics they've had to go after questionable kids. Those 10 guys that were borderline grade wise and didn't make into school during the 2014 cycle is showing this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I've said before & I'm not sure why you're acting like

Sep 4, 2015, 11:22 AM

you don't know, the coot got his 5-peat & is hardly trying any more. He has no incentive. He knows he can't win the SEC there, tho he was a win away from achieving just that a few short years ago during his pompous-a$$ streak over the Clemson Dabo n' Co.

What he's done in Columbia is quite impressive; he has no interest in putting in all the sleeplessness of sustaining a top-10 program there & since he's gotten his 5-peat he has proven that he is King Coot & can now sit back n' enjoy the ride of being able to keep his job there squeaking by against the mediocrity of their schedule.

How true. To keep his job he only has to get his team ready

Sep 4, 2015, 2:02 PM

for just one game all season. Ours. But those days of the Coots winning that one are history.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any ideas why Spur's stock of current players seems to be so much less talented overall.

Sep 4, 2015, 11:30 AM

Spurrier Jr. is, per some high school coaches I know, one of the worst recruiting coordinators in the Southeast. He's - shocking, I know - considered lazy, arrogant, disorganized, and rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Also, a lot of the veteran coaches who carried Spurrier's recruiting in the early days have moved on. In particular they're missing Brad Lawing...who had some, shall we say, ethics problems but who did get it done for them.

Lawing is now at FSU. Do the math there.

The other factor in play is the "Rock Hill factor". South Carolina owns Rock Hill, mostly because the guy who owns Rock Hill is a super-booster of the sorta Alabama and Auburn each seem to have about a dozen of. The problem is, Rock Hill just hasn't been producing talent the last few years like it has in the past...not sure why, sometimes that stuff is just cyclical.

Also, Spurrier cannot get a QB anymore to save his own life, which is ironic considering Spurrier is considered a QB guru and won a Heisman as a college QB. The issues there are well-documented - his treatment of QB's in the past, the fact that his QB's historically don't succeed in the NFL, and the perception, real or not, that he won't play a black QB. So he's left with the likes of poor bumbling Connor Mitch and former walk-on Perry Orth, which is...kind of a sad commentary that you ultimately reap what you sow.

OK..got it & thX for all your astute reasons which are exactly true..

Sep 4, 2015, 11:46 AM

So, you're saying the Glory years of Coot FB under Spur are over! Is that what i'm hearing?

GoTiGERS..keep rocking Em (24 more wins in rivalry)!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well thought out and right on point

Sep 4, 2015, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Any ideas why Spur's stock of current players seems to be so much less talented overall. ]

especially about the qb situation.

Re: Any ideas why Spur's stock of current players seems to be so much less talented overall.

Sep 4, 2015, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Any ideas why Spur's stock of current players seems to be so much less talented overall. ]

I remember Lawings ethic problems.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think there was just a few years where sc got above normal

Sep 4, 2015, 11:48 AM

Talent in recruiting. You can't count on consistently getting players like lattimore, clowney, Alston, Melvin Ingram, Stephen Gilmore, etc. every year, especially if you're South Carolina. I think this crop of players is more in line with what they normally have.

Poor talent evaluation.***

Sep 4, 2015, 11:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2015, 2:22 PM

They have suffered large setbacks in losing key coaches that recruited well and developed underrated talent for them. They always over signed classes and used what I call "Spaghetti Recruiting" (throw all of it against the wall and hope it sticks) and relied on one or two coaches to land the big name (Clowney, Latimore etc.). Pretty soon all of the good recruiting and development coaches leave for better oportunities, and all your left with is, throwing something against the wall and praying it sticks.

Spurlid has lost his fire - 70 years old - same as me - just

Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM

do not have the energy to put into recruiting like he used to...sitting on his laurels!

His ego get in the way.

Sep 4, 2015, 2:28 PM

That's one reason. The comment about two or three more years until he hung up the spurs didn't help but the biggest reason was that he has bigger teats than the player's mom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They seem to have recruited decent athletes based

Sep 4, 2015, 4:05 PM

on their class rankings. I think their player development blows. No one seems to get any better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They seem to have recruited decent athletes based

Sep 4, 2015, 4:31 PM

Teams like SC just cant lose that much talent over the course of 2-3 years and be stellar top 10

Clemson has shown growth in that area and is doing much better. I would say Bama, USC , LSU etc even have down years and have 5 stars on the bench.

No way SC can keep up with 11 win seasons and winning against Clemson by double digits. Tiger fans have seen the end of the road with that one and recruiting shows it.

Clemson has begun the reload process and this year will be a telling sign. Lots of lost talent on D and if the backups can step in and be game changers like Jarrat, Beasley, etc, Clemson will have arrived.

The only problem is you have to enjoy it while it lasts. Look at Bama, a dynasty with Hall of fame coach has even taken a dip with much better players than Clemson or SC combined

Big year for Tigers if fans want to consider themselves elite and in a new era of Tiger football

The media love them, fans love them, coach loves them, now its time to shine

And the ones who do get better bolt.

Sep 4, 2015, 4:45 PM [ in reply to They seem to have recruited decent athletes based ]

I don't know what their percentage of underclassmen going to the draft is, but they don't seem to have many guys stay if they have a prayer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic