Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
+34 points against GT is huge, just sayin
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

+34 points against GT is huge, just sayin

Jul 22, 2019, 9:06 AM

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: +34 points against GT is huge, just sayin

Jul 22, 2019, 9:16 AM

Under

In the last 5 seasons, we have not won a game against a P5 opponent by more than 28 points in Aug/Sept. I think 28 is the best when we beat GT 49-21 (UL is second by 47-21). The last time we won by 35 or more was wake in 2013 (56-7)

We have done it many, MANY times in October in the past 6 years.

Coaches are still feeling folks out and you see more experimentation early on... and then then they turn it on.

This isnt those years. This is the best Offense this school

Jul 22, 2019, 9:20 AM

has ever had. Georgia Tech is coming away from the Option and this is game 1 in a new system. If you take the under you're crazy imo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

There is no under on an ATS line

Jul 22, 2019, 9:40 AM

You take either GT or Clemson. Under/Over is for point totals. Just sayin'

FWIW i wouldn't be surprised if our offense is a bit clunky in the opener despite all of the talent returning. Look how we opened 2016 with most of our 2015 offense returning + getting Mike Williams back. In September that year we scored 19 at Auburn, 30 against Troy, and 26 at GT. That team didn't get going offensively until October either.

Re: This isnt those years. This is the best Offense this school

Jul 22, 2019, 10:26 AM [ in reply to This isnt those years. This is the best Offense this school ]

I am not saying we won't dominate it (we will), we just will not drop the hammer as harshly and use the time to try something different, rotate playing time, etc. By mid-season we do unleash things a bit more.

Jul 22, 2019, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: +34 points against GT is huge, just sayin ]

Yup I would take the bees as well here. We have a lot of questions on defense. I have no doubt we will be good but I can’t see them being as incredible as last year. Our offense will be high flying but first games can take a little bit to get in the groove.

And if we are blowing them out...

Jul 22, 2019, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: +34 points against GT is huge, just sayin ]

Dabo will sit on it for the rest of the game.

He will pull the starters in 3Q so you will be hoping a walk-on or Fr can run it up to cover the spread. Not happening.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And if we are blowing them out...

Jul 22, 2019, 4:25 PM

Agree Gt +34

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 10:08 AM

I dunno man. 35 seems like a lot but I expect GaTech to be atrocious this season, especially week 1. Switching from option offense to more of a pro style will take some time. They will have new QB, lost top 4 linemen, top linebacker and 3 of 5 DBs. Both S&P+ and FPI project 3.7 wins for them this season. True rebuilding year as they need time to adapt to new system and bring in recruits that match the system.

They could get a late TD or two as we rotate in younger guys at the end of the game to cover but I don't expect their offense to be competitive with our defense, even with us working in newer guys.

Not to mention they are playing in the valley at night on a thursday. Place will be electric

I will be taking the tigers covering anything 35 and below for this game

Jul 22, 2019, 10:26 AM

Their OC will do better than last season OC, and their D will be about the same as last years. Take the 34 now, and I believe it would be a winner, but wait until that number drops closer to game time, and that 34 points won't be there, it will be 21 plus or minus a few, but it won't be 34!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 10:51 AM

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. The spread isn't moving 14 points from 34 to 21. Maybe if TL gets injured but that's about only thing that would move the line 2 TDs.

All the kids on GaTech roster were recruited for the option scheme. They had like 13 scholarship RBs on their roster. New OC may be better over time but it will awhile to recruit the right kids. There will be a lot of RBs moved around that roster for the next few seasons

Even TL getting injured likely wouldn't moved the line

Jul 22, 2019, 11:43 AM

two full TDs. When Jameis Winston got suspended for the 1st half against Clemson in 2014 Vegas moved the line 3 or 4 points. I think it moved as much as 6 some places after fan betting pushed it down further, but i even read a handicapper's explanation where he said something along the lines of them estimating Jameis to be worth a TD over a full game so they went for around half of that for a 1st half suspension.

And honestly i think we have a better backup in Chase Brice than they did with Maguire or whoever played against us that night.

Jul 22, 2019, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: +34 points against GT is huge, just sayin ]

The way our coaches call the games early and all the rotation of players 35 might be alot to score

Jul 22, 2019, 10:50 AM

Plus, GT will score some points, maybe not many, but they will score bc if our lead is just say 28 points mid way 4th quarter, Dabo will call for everybody to get snaps, and GT scores!!!

Jul 22, 2019, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: +34 points against GT is huge, just sayin ]

100% agree, backdoor cover by GT as we get the swinney boys some snaps in the 4th quarter is always a risk.

Something else to note is that since they won't be running the option 99% of the time, even when they're down 20 points, the game will be extended giving the tigers more scoring opportunities. They will still be a running team this year for sure because of the personnel but they will definitely be looking for downfield passing more.

Jul 22, 2019, 10:17 AM

Taking that bet now could be a winner for who takes that bet now, the odds will change starting a week before the game, they will be a 3 or less TD's favoring Clemson. We play to many players for a 34 point win against GT IMO....

Barring a major injury

Jul 22, 2019, 10:24 AM

There’s no chance the spread will be less than 30 for this game and certainly not 21 or less. If anything, the spread will likely rise as the limits rise as we get closer to the season and the public money will fall heavy on Clemson.

Re: Barring a major injury

Jul 22, 2019, 4:26 PM

Has the scoreboard in DV been revamped to go to triple digits? Might need it to be over the next couple years. Just saying.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We usually don't score a lot in early games, however, I

Jul 22, 2019, 11:06 AM

wouldn't be surprised if we don't try and put up 3-4 TD's as fast as possible - so they can play other people let the defense play a lot.

our questions are more on defense than offense.

I would look for Chase B to get some playing time and our other QB.

Our offense is LOADED might as well step on their necks and play 80 players deep in the bench......

null

One other thing to consider regarding us blowing people out

Jul 22, 2019, 11:59 AM

this year. I think a large part of why we put up so many points on Wake, FSU, Louisville, etc is because of how good we were at RB and how #### good Dixon was in particular. We all know that Dabo and company like to pull starters early and largely quit throwing the ball once we get up 3-4 TDs in the mid/late 3rd or 4th quarter. The difference between last year and some other years is that our backups were still putting up 2-3 more TDs in some of those games. Similarly, our reserves on defense weren't giving up many points like we saw in other years. Our backups extended leads in 2018 whereas we often saw those leads shrink in previous years once the bench got emptied.

I'm not sure those things will be true in 2019. Dixon has moved from 4th to 2nd string at RB and those late game carries are now going to like Melussi and Rencher. I would be surprised if we get the kind of production we got last year from Dixon and his 8.8ypc.

And on the other side of the ball we are replacing 6/7 starters along the front 7 and quite a few of their backups as well. A lot of those guys that were coming in to close out games in garbage time last year will be starting in 2019 and the depth behind them will be pretty green.

TLDR: I'm not sure this will be a team that extends leads in garbage time like the 2018 team frequently did. That may be another big reason to shy away from those 5-6 TD lines this fall.

Probably a good strategy early

Jul 22, 2019, 12:20 PM

As a lot of our depth will be very young. But once you hit September/mid October, the ones that aren’t redshirting should have a good amount of snaps under their belt. If you can get 2-3 freshmen at DT and LB to develop relatively quickly, the 3 deep across the whole team should be very solid. Between Jeffries (assuming he’s bulked up over summer) at DT and Venables and Jones at LB, you’d hope that you’re already off to a decent start there with those guys having a year under their belts in the weight room.

Jul 22, 2019, 3:54 PM

We score 35 in the first half and get 6 on d. If GT turns the ball over we have a hard time keeping it under 80. Really. We're that good.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic