Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are the 5 biggest/most triumphant/memorable moments
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

What are the 5 biggest/most triumphant/memorable moments

Jan 31, 2014, 12:01 AM

of Clemson football in your lifetime. Preferably moments you remember or saw.

1) 1981 season - obviously
2) 63-17 - I was there.
3) Orange Bowl Win 2014
4) Peach Bowl win 2013
5) Taking my son to his first game

what are yours?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mine

Jan 31, 2014, 12:15 AM

1. 1981 NC/Orange Bowl/whole season
2. 2013 Orange Bowl
3. 4th and 16
4. Jacoby Ford slant TD against 'Canes to win in Miami.
5. 63-17
** not a win, but my first game in DV, the '77 ND game where Montana broke my 9 year old heart but my passion for the Tigers was born. Honorable mention is the '89 Chicken game to the tune of 45-0 when we had what i think is the best Tiger D to ever set foot on a field. The best athletes on the team and it wasn't even close....savage, ruthless defenses from '88 to '91.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4th and 16 was awesome.

Jan 31, 2014, 12:20 AM

I scared my wife and kids when Nuk made that catch. I came up out of my recliner screaming.

i yelled "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!" so loud

Jan 31, 2014, 12:29 AM

that both neighbors who live below me came up and knocked on my door....they are both Duck grads and have watched Tiger games with me before so they knew why i yelled because they were watching below me here in San Diego at my apt....i have the Time Warner CFB package so i don't miss a game so they're used to it after two seasons. I'm 45 and one day i'll grow up, possibly.

i'll add that the only games i went to in '81 were

Jan 31, 2014, 12:40 AM [ in reply to 4th and 16 was awesome. ]

the Chicken slaughter and the Tar Hole game in Chapel Hill where my all time favorite Tiger, #99 Jeff Bryant, saved the season with the lateral recovery in a 10-8 defensive blood bath....we were bludgeoning each other on defense and Bryant made possibly the most heads up play in Tiger history that preserved the undefeated season. My second favorite Tiger of all time, THE JUDGE, made about 20 tackles, prompting my Pop, a life long ND fan, to say, "there's about 8 orange hats on the ball every play...#45 looks like there's three of him out there...my God they play defense, son....that's defense right there."

My first game was the Wake game in '81

Jan 31, 2014, 12:23 AM [ in reply to Mine ]

I was 10 and when I left that game I thought Clemson was invincible. And I got to sit on the hill which was a lot cooler then than it is now. My back wouldn't stand an entire game over there now.

i listened to that one on the radio with my Mom and Pop

Jan 31, 2014, 12:33 AM

82-24 slaughter....i was 13. I sat on the Hill for the '77 ND game and every other Tiger game from that year to '89 when i went in the Marine Corps. Been back 3 times since then because of being stationed all over the world and sat in the upper decks. The Hill back then was a wild place. I remember JD half gallons being passed around and the "#### a doodle doo" chant at the '78 Chicken game lasting for about 5 minutes straight....priceless.

One of the first chants I remember

Jan 31, 2014, 12:38 AM

had quite the impact on a kid when you hear an entire stadium saying "We're gonna beat the h3!! out of you!"

And lord the liquor. In my 20's I recalled something I saw as a kid on the hill that helped me smuggle in my booze. I saw a guy pulling mini bottles out of his cowboy boots to mix with his coke. Yea it worked. A little uncomfortable but easy to do.

they were passing around a handle of JD that day

Jan 31, 2014, 12:43 AM

up and down the rows on the Hill and my Uncle and Pop both hit it...LOL. My Uncle used to have a flask of VO in his sock to mix with Cokes. The "#### a doodle doo, #### a doodle doo, Carolina Gamecocks to hell with you!" chant went for at least 5 minutes and i remember the PA announcer giving Rogers' stats as something like, "George Rogers, 24 carries, 90 yards!" or something like that....the crowd knew the game and the significance of him not breaking 100 that year that DV exploded....Johnathan Brooks gave me his mouthpiece after the game on the field and i still have it. Memories that will never leave my mind, man.

I hear ya

Jan 31, 2014, 12:53 AM

That place is special up there. I have a lot of similar memories growing up. I can remember going on the field as a kid and thinking that those guys were giants. Not just that they were over 6 foot tall and 250-300 lbs but that they were my heroes and here I stood right beside them, with them. It's just an incredible place, atmosphere, tradition, feeling, etc.

I took my son to his first game 2 years ago, he was 4, and I held him up on my shoulder so he could see as the team came down the hill, and cried. Not sobbing or anything, but just taking it all in with my boy. It's fair to say I love Clemson.

some things have no price tag......

Jan 31, 2014, 1:03 AM

period. I didn't go to Clemson. Clemson didn't recruit me in baseball because they didn't have use for a 5'7" catcher who was a line drive hitter with zero power...they also didn't want a baseball player who wanted to play snare drum on the band....LOL. I took a partial scholly to SCSU, became a proud Bulldog and played baseball and was a snare drummer on the Marching 101 Band and wouldn't trade those memories for anything...what it didn't do was make me lose love for the Tigers and thank goodness we didn't play them back then from '87 to '89 when i was there. It doesn't faze me when SCSU plays Clemson now because there is no chance for State anyway....When i was a Bulldog student/athlete/band member, i had a front license plate on my car that was one half Bulldog, one half Tiger Paw...i took some good natured mess for that from time to time but since we never played the Tigers back then it wasn't an issue. When i retire from the Corps i think i might get my Masters from Clemson so I can be an alum. I tell folks that i have garnet and blue blood on one side of my body, orange and purple on the other...LOL.

Mine ...

Jan 31, 2014, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Mine ]

1. 1981 Orange Bowl. I was there, only 13 years old.
2. 1978 (if I remember correctly) Clemson at USC when Jerry Butler made the leaping catch in the end zone for a touchdown. Watched that game at home with family and still remember the excitement after that catch.
3. 2000 Clemson/USC. Rod Gardner "push off" with seconds left to give Clemson shot at winning FG.
4. First Bowden Bowl. I was there. We had the lead for a half but lost. The excitement, though, was outstanding, plus Tiger fans kept taunting Warrick for the Dillard's scandal.
5. Orange Bowl 2014. Clemson's biggest bowl win since 1981.

CJ's long run vs GT

Jan 31, 2014, 12:25 AM

Certainly Left me with a certain feeling of euphoria.

CJ did that many times.

Jan 31, 2014, 12:28 AM

He may be the best player I've ever had the honor to watch at Clemson.

Re: What are the 5 biggest/most triumphant/memorable moments

Jan 31, 2014, 12:29 AM

let me preface this by saying that I was not born into a Clemson Family (Mom is a Duke grad and by Dad went to countless schools in the Delaware/Maryland area) and I became a Clemson fan because one of my friends to took to the Ball St. game around 2002 and didn't really pay attention to college football until 2004.

1. 2009 FSU - My first night game in Death Valley, and had a huge role in finalizing my college plans.
2. 2011 ACCCG
3. 2014 Orange Bowl
T-4. 2013 UGA
T-4. 2012 LSU

*****Honorable mention: 3 game stretch in 2011 of Auburn FSU and VT.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

The stadium chanting Regie's name

Jan 31, 2014, 12:49 AM

When Bowden yanked him. Bowden pulled a man on a senior day mission for reasons I'll never understand. I'll never forget the moment I knew he wasn't the man for the job anymore.

I was at that game and remember that and thinking ###.

Jan 31, 2014, 12:55 AM

and chanting "CJ" "SPILLER"

Jan 31, 2014, 12:56 AM [ in reply to The stadium chanting Regie's name ]

that was cool.

i drove up from Parris Island to go to that game....

Jan 31, 2014, 1:07 AM

took a Capt from my recruit training company with me who was an Oregon grad, and we stood in the upper deck on the East Side and listened to everyone chanting CJ's name and I got chills....Capt Gordon looked at me stunned and said, "Gunny, that's frickin' awesome man...". He's a major closet Tiger fan now. He took me to the Oregon/USC game and the Oregon/Stanford game last year.

Jan 31, 2014, 12:51 AM

Number 5 for me was us throwing zero bars on all over willie brice of their 0/11 season!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought that game was played at Clemson. We won, finished

Feb 1, 2014, 6:44 PM

3-8. they lost, finished 0-11

Jan 31, 2014, 3:57 AM

1. 1981, National Championship
2. 1980 27 to 6 thrashing of the chickens! First time we wore the Orange pants
3.1987- 1990 4 straight 10 win seasons
4. 63-17
5. Every Clemson game I have ever had the blessing to attend.... Dagnabbit, I just love it!

All of the above Plus

Jan 31, 2014, 6:51 AM

Woody Dantzler to Rod Gardner to set up the winning field goal with time running out to defeat the gamecocks

1980 was one for me also. Willie Underwood***

Jan 31, 2014, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Re: What are the 5 biggest/most triumphant/memorable moments ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm only 20, so my list isn't as

Jan 31, 2014, 7:15 AM

impressive as some of y'all's!

5.) 2006 31-7 win over GT with Gameday in Clemson
4) CFA Bowl win vs LSU
3) 2011 ACC championship over VT
2) 38-35 win over UGA this year
1)The Orange Bowl win over Ohio St

Honorable mentions:
'09 overtime win over Miami
'07 Bucholz's kick over Sakerlina
1st & 35 vs Sakerlina
63-17
Beating Tennessee in the '04 Peach Bowl

That "Gameday" beatdown of GT was pretty sweet.

Jan 31, 2014, 7:50 AM

Jan 31, 2014, 7:24 AM

1. Treadwell's winning kick over UGA in 87
2. 1-1-82
3. Win over Miami in 04
4. Win over Miami in 09
5. Win over Tennessee in Peach Bowl

Jan 31, 2014, 8:47 AM

1) 2000 CU over USuCk (the catch II) - last game that I attended with my dad
2) 1981 National Championship
3) 63-17
4) 2006 CU vs. GT - Gameday
5) Orange Bowl Win 2014

Close would be my daughters' first games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2014, 8:56 AM

1) My first game as a Clemson student, unfortunately it was a loss against Marshall but it was awesome to experience Clemson football as a student.
2) The Catch II, I was in the student section and Rod caught that pass right in front of me. The place went nuts
3) Peach bowl win over Tennessee, I was part of the crowd that bought tickets and instead was sent an apology letter from CFA along with coupons for free chicken sandwiches. When CFA released more tickets I was upgraded to sit on the 45 yard line about 15 rows up from the field. It was a fun game from start to finish.
4) Orange Bowl this year, gives me bragging rights to my entire family who are huge tOSU fans.
5) Our win at the ACCCG. My dad came down to Charlotte to go with me, and anytime I can share a great sports moment with my dad, it is memorable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

For me:

Jan 31, 2014, 9:43 AM

1. Miami - Jan 1st, 1982. - - most incredible thing I have ever experienced.

2. Hurricane OT win that broke their home winning streak of something like 35 straight

3. Semiholes at the doak - 1989 - FSSSSUUUUUU . . . OHHHHHHHHH and TWOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! Puntrooskie beat down ! ! !

4. Crushing Penn State in the Citrus Bowl - tons of WE ARE everywhere and we woodshedded them.

5. (tie) - Orange Bowl this year - great game, great to see all the acorns leaving with their heads hung low.

5. (tie) - ACC Championship game - great win getting us back to where we should be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 31, 2014, 10:02 AM

1967 vs NCS - 14-6 win at the valley - Real fight between the Tiger and Wolf - ORANGE SHOES.

1966 - big comeback win in Death Valley (40-35) over UVA. Howard's Rock makes it appearance in the Valley.

Gator Bowl win over Stanford.

Orange Bowl win over Nebraska.

Orange Bowl win over Ohio State.

Many more ...

Jan 31, 2014, 10:05 AM

1. 81 NC
2. 63-17
3. The Ponder/McDaniel game of 2011
4. Beating NCS 14-3 Orange Shoes vs White Shoes
5. Coming back from 35-18 vs Va to win 40-35 with 22 4th quarter points by the Needle.

Jan 31, 2014, 10:35 AM

1. Beating Ohio State in the 1978 Gator Bowl.
2. Beating SC in the first Orange Pants Game in 1980.
3. Beating Nebraska for the National Title.
4. Beating LSU in the Chic Fil A Bowl.
5. Beating Ohio State in the Orange Bowl

Restricting to games/moments I saw in person

Jan 31, 2014, 10:40 AM

Probably:

+ 1991: Clemson 9, defending co-national champs GT 7. They missed a last-second field goal that would have won the game. I've rarely seen DV so packed.

+ 1998 Clemson-Carolina, we finally broke that awful away-game winner streak. First time I'd seen us beat them in DV

+ 2003 Clemson-FSU

+ 2013 Clemson-UGA

+ 2011 ACCCG vs VT

Honorable mentions:

+ Clemson-TAMU 2005
+ 1991 Clemson-Maryland, clinched the ACC title
+ 2009 and 2011 Clemson-FSU
+ 1991 Clemson-SCar. Nothing particularly noteworthy about this game (other than it capped a 4-game winning streak), but it was my first SCar game and I thoroughly enjoyed the beat-down we gave them. I also got to spit on their logo in the middle of the field (I was in the marching band, marched right over it) which I also enjoyed a lot.

I remember that TAMU game

Jan 31, 2014, 2:07 PM

Jad Dean kicked 6 FG's that night.

section N row B

Jan 31, 2014, 10:55 AM

1. 1981 National Championship year.
2. 63-17.
3. Coming back from 0-28 to beat UVA in 1992.
4. 2013 Chik-Fil-A Bowl Win. 4th and 16 was a miracle.
5. 2014 Orange Bowl Win.

Forgot about that 29-28 comeback to beat UVA

Jan 31, 2014, 11:22 AM

I was at that game too...there was quite a celebration afterwards.

I'll Start with the 1978 Title Win over Maryland...

Jan 31, 2014, 12:24 PM

In Chronological Order:

#2 1978 Gator Bowl (Danny Ford's First Game)

#3 1980 South Carolina Game (First Time Orange Pants)

#4 1981 National Title

#5 2014 Orange Bowl Title

This subject is most memorable and these were the first 5 that comes to mind..

Honorable Mention:

Treadwell's first FG win over UGA

Major Harris' Mom's meltdown

Jacoby's slant at Miami

Clemson's win over Auburn in 2011 with Sammy's Watkins breakout to the nation

4-16

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

I'm a youngster so i'm gonna stick with what I was alive for

Jan 31, 2014, 2:28 PM

1. 2014 OB win
2. 2013 CFA Bowl/the cramp bowl/4th & 16
3. CJ Spiller double juke move against GT
4. FSU 3 years ago, my first big game as a student in death valley and Sammy's coming out party imo.
5. the ACC Champ game, it was my first time going to a Clemson bowl game and I enjoyed ever aspect of that trip.

Major Harris's Mom

Feb 1, 2014, 4:08 PM [ in reply to I'll Start with the 1978 Title Win over Maryland... ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAsKUgCDbIU

1) '77 SCar @ Willy B... Fuller-to-Butler. My first CU game.

Jan 31, 2014, 12:52 PM

2) '78 Maryland on their wooden bleachers... D. Clark's catch. ACC Champs.

3) '78 Gator Bowl and the Woody meltdown against "Clemmons". The Start.

4) 1-1-82 Orange Bowl on the forty 15 rows up behind the DLs/LBs. Pinnacle.

5) 4th-and-16. "The Drive". It was the revival of what Clemson FB should be.

I was there for 1-4 in person. #5 was the genesis for much, much more. Some of the early games against GA were absolute thrillers just like last year's and I don't expect this year's opener to be any different. We need to START STRONG.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'81 season, '79 ND, '78 MD, '86 UGA, '87 UGA

Jan 31, 2014, 2:23 PM

Honorable mention: '77 coots, '76 coots, '80 coots, '89 coots (45-0), coots (65-17), and bowl wins too many to list OSU, PSU, OK, NEB, WV, STANFORD, TN, LSU, OSU

Jan 31, 2014, 2:32 PM

2011 ACCCG, what an awesome day, game and post game!

Jan 31, 2014, 9:42 PM

Ive only watched for a few years but here they are:
1) i was there Clemson Georgia 2013 (on the field after touched the rock!!!
T2) Auburn FSU VT we were invincible
T2) OSU
T2) LSU
5) when we beat the coots (07 or 08) with the freshman kicker last second
6) when dabo first beat the coots
7) my first game vs BC 2011

Jan 31, 2014, 10:35 PM

One of the most memorable moments of life

Feb 1, 2014, 6:25 PM

1) 2013 Orange Bowl win vs. Ohio State
2) 2011 ACC title win
3) 2011 Clemson vs. FSU- the game that I became a Clemson fan (when Tajh and Sammy had their career breakout games)
4) 2006 loss to The Other School (when I started disliking The Other School and occasionally watched Clemson football)
5) 2013 Chick-fil-A bowl

NFL- Green Bay Packers
NCAA- Michigan and Michigan State (formerly Clemson)
MLB- New York Yankees

Mine

Feb 1, 2014, 6:34 PM

1)(tie) "The Catch"/1982 Orange Bowl-National Championship
2) Buck's Dunk (Whoop!!!!! There it is!!!!!)
3) 63-17
4) Gaines Adams block of Wake's field goal
5) (tie) 45-0/ "The Catch II

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At FSU 1989

Feb 1, 2014, 7:07 PM

Gator Bowl vs WVU was a good one too

mine are

Feb 1, 2014, 7:36 PM

1989 citrus bowl beating the sooners ###
1989 beating wvu gator bowl
1986 beating ugay in athens
1987 beating ugay in the valley was in attendance for that one
2014 orange bowl redemption.