Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
CU Men's XC posts 3.51 GPA in the Fall, earns National award
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

CU Men's XC posts 3.51 GPA in the Fall, earns National award

Apr 1, 2021, 10:16 PM

yeh, that Cross Country team, the 112 year-old program the AD is trying to cut this spring. They just posted one of the best GPA's in the entire school. But yeh, let's cut them??

https://www.saveclemsontf.com

https://clemsontigers.com/cross-country-earns-pair-of-ustfccca-awards/

The United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) announced on Thursday that Clemson’s men’s and women’s cross country teams have each received the association’s All-Academic Team distinction. The Tigers’ cross country teams, led by head coach Vicky Pounds, received the honors after posting cumulative team GPA’s above 3.00. Clemson’s women’s team has earned the honor for the second consecutive year following today’s announcement.

MEN Clemson University 3.51 Coach Vicky Pounds

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CU Men's XC posts 3.51 GPA in the Fall, earns National award

Apr 1, 2021, 11:10 PM

This really should be post of the year. Sadly, it will get zero traction... No pun intended. It's a sad day to get rid of this program. Way above my paygrade on how we'd keep it but there must be some way besides cutting another program.

Perhaps something like a go fund me page. Jk. But, I bet Dabo could find a way. It isn't like the revenue will be down forever.

I'd like to hear from the xperts on how we could keep it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great suggestion-I'd be happy to show you

Apr 2, 2021, 7:24 AM

just message me your email address and I will forward you our Fact Book that lays it all out there.

Apr 2, 2021, 7:30 AM

Just a question do you think DRad cut them because the team GPA wasn’t high enough?

I’m guessing he cut them because in 2019 they lost about a million dollars and the athletic department budget doesn’t have excess revenue just laying around. Granted hindsight could have said save some money but every school in the country reinvests into its athletic facilities.

Fact is without money you can’t fund things. Thanks to title 9 you can’t cut women’s sports who are already more funded than equivalent men’s sport... so you cut what you can and move on. Tough decision when you are in charge of a 130 million budget.

XC is the Cheapest sport on campus

Apr 2, 2021, 9:59 AM

That's a valid point. Fortunately, Men's XC costs than a 100k per year to run. There are no scholarships given/earned to/from guys XC at Clemson. It's one of the reasons it's such a struggle to be competitive in the ACC, where most of our peers are heavily supported. But it also makes it extremely frugal to run the sport.

Furthermore, your point on title 9 is also valid except that's not an issue at Clemson. Despite what the AD says, Clemson's own required filings with the Federal Gov't don't support his narrative. As of the current year, Clemson actually gives 6 more athletic oppoty's to ladies then men. The population of the campus is split 50/50 so we have a slight imbalance in oppty's towards ladies. But the easiest/cheapest way to remedy future title 9 concerns is to just add 10 lady XC runners. Super cheap and it gives 30 addt'l lady athletic oppty's. 10 for XC 10 for indoor track and 10 for outdoor track.

Apr 2, 2021, 7:33 AM

They can still go to school and run all they want so I don’t see a problem

Actually no they can't.

Apr 2, 2021, 10:00 AM

All the Men's team is walk-ons so they will have NO team and no athletic support whatsoever.

Save the Camel Toe!***

Apr 2, 2021, 7:50 AM

TU and a few suggestions

Apr 2, 2021, 8:29 AM

I ran track and XC at Charleston Southern and competed against Clemson (which was a thrill for everyone in my family, who are all Clemson fans). So I am very sympathetic to your cause and want nothing more than for Clemson to keep their men's program.

I like that you have a group of former runners banding together to advocate for the program. And I wonder if you could get the support of former Clemson athletes that medaled in the Olympics? Shawn Crawford comes to mind. Having a recognizable spokesperson to rally troops to the cause would help a ton. CJ Spiller would be a great ambassador as well.

Your website messaging is taking 1 angle: Help save educational opportunities for people of color. I think that's a fair approach, but it should not be your only message. You are trying to influence decision makers of all races. It comes across to me like you're trying to 'social pressure' them into making a 'woke' decision. I get the whole Title VI of the Civil Rights act approach... and, in a war, I'm OK with any strategy that wins. However, if this is your only focus, the result may be that they dig in their heels and become even more resistant to your goals.

Another strategy would be to compare Clemson to local universities that are able to fund both Football and T&F/XC. Univ. of South Carolina and Charleston Southern come to mind immediately. How can these programs do something that Clemson cannot? Even Presbyterian can manage that. To me, it's a pride thing... and I think it will be for a lot of bigger donors as well.

Finally, I would attack the athletic budget as a whole. How much money does Men's Track and Field and Cross Country actually cost? They're keeping the women's program, so they already have to maintain the facilities. Shoes and gear should be free from sponsors like Nike. We're really looking at the cost of a scholarship. And that number is very fungible. What is the actual cost to the University? Then, how to we make up that number to keep the program funded? I would make creative suggestions... give them several other options, if only to make it clear that their decision here will clearly define the principles of Clemson University. How many phone calls did the administration make to see if they could get additional sponsorship from Nike or Adidas or UnderArmor to help fund the program?

Anyway, good luck to you and your fellow alumnus. I hope you guys win this race.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TU and a few suggestions

Apr 2, 2021, 9:58 AM

Have you seen some of the attacks on CJ Spiller on social media from members of the "save the track team" group?

I'm guessing there is absolutely zero chance Spiller would help them at this point.

It's not just Spiller either because the supporters for track have attacked everything football in many posts which I find odd because football is the only sport at Clemson with enough power and pull to actually give any assistance if they chose to.

Apr 2, 2021, 10:03 AM

That is NOT true. Please post the proof of your accusations. The fact is the football organization is/has been supportive of the Save track/xc movement. It's just they are under a "gag order" and can't say anything publicly. Clemson football has already lost out on 1 high-profile football recruit in TX because he wants to continue throwing the Shot/Disc in College and once Clemson announced this unnecessary cut, he cut Clemson from his list. So Clemson football selfishly wants this for their recruiting.

Apr 2, 2021, 10:45 AM

Below almost every track or football post on twitter this fall were numerous comments specifically calling out Spiller and Dabo as well as the rest of the football program in general.

Some of the things said about Spiller specifically were shocking and unforgivable, especially given his unique connection to both programs.

Many of the comments were related to the "gag order" you mentioned as though it somehow made the football program racist to not allow players to get involved in the situation.

Not everyone involved in trying to save the programs is going about it the wrong way and many are doing a great job for a great cause.

Unfortunately the vocal minority on social media this fall were spewing hate toward anybody who wasn't publicly trying to help.

In reading Tigernet at the time, the attacks lost a lot of support and sympathy from people who were initially interested in helping.

Please provide proof

Apr 2, 2021, 12:26 PM

I am one of the leaders of our movement and I have watched very carefully, the interactions across social media platforms. We have been VERY careful not to make this a football vs. xyz deal. And even though I don't post on Tigernet very often, I've been a member for literally 20 years and am on here several times a day. So, I never saw ONE post that crossed the line you seem to accuse folks of crossing. So, I would love to see those posts so I can hold them accountable. Thank you.

Apr 2, 2021, 9:08 AM

was all for supporting them until they started with that "woke" crap and pulling the race card basically all year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Apr 2, 2021, 10:28 AM

Now there's a good reason to get rid of it.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic