Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC rightfully getting bludgeoned by espn about the TIE
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

ACC rightfully getting bludgeoned by espn about the TIE

Sep 21, 2016, 6:01 PM

Breaker ---- using an Independent co to pick the winner based on "Metrics" unknown to anyone ....

so terribly stupid

can't believe this is even an actual fact.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

at least it's not an actual

Sep 21, 2016, 6:03 PM

rumor

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC rightfully getting bludgeoned by espn about the TIE

Sep 21, 2016, 6:15 PM

They should be getting creamed about the ACCCG fiasco. BUT..... ESPN is way too PC for that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well...leave it to the ACC....

Sep 21, 2016, 6:15 PM

to totally, completely and entire screw-up trying to fix something that isn't broken.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I know right -- it sounds so idiotic it can't real

Sep 21, 2016, 6:20 PM

but sadly it is

I don't even understand how someone could come up with an idea like that....

null

ACC a joke and ESPN a bigger joke. Sports going to crap.***

Sep 21, 2016, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Well...leave it to the ACC.... ]

I can almost guarantee we would lose out in this metric

Sep 21, 2016, 6:16 PM

unless Louisville and FSU both also lost a non-con game. FSU has a really good non-con slate with Ole Miss, USF, and Florida. They also have get UNC and Miami from the coastal division.

Louisville has Houston OOC but no much else (Kentucky and such). They get arguably the two worse coastal teams in Duke and UVA.

We have Auburn, SC, and then two (likely) pretty decent teams in GT and Pitt.

If their metric is largely just based around SOS, FSU will win the division with their schedule. If it uses margin of victory and such, Louisville will probably win the division.

Ummm...

Sep 21, 2016, 6:21 PM

Let's play the games and see how this plays out before we go jumping off bridges on hypotheticals.

That's the thing though, there aren't many ways it can play

Sep 21, 2016, 7:21 PM

out. This is in the event of a 3-way tie at 7-1. That means we already know all of the conference results (just not all of the scores), and we also already know most of the OOC results. The only results still up in the air in this situation are the rivalry week games, this weekend's FSU at USF game, and the Louisville at Houston game later in the year.

Given the fact that the BCS computer rankings were never allowed to use margin of victory (because it's not PC and all that), i doubt this metric will do so either. That leaves it as largely a SOS based metric, and we just aren't going to win out in one of those this year. FSU would almost certainly come out on top in that.

Re: I can almost guarantee we would lose out in this metric

Sep 21, 2016, 10:01 PM [ in reply to I can almost guarantee we would lose out in this metric ]

Well, the thing to do is just beat UL and FSU and we wont have to worry about the "metric."

Sep 21, 2016, 6:49 PM

Using something other than the current tie-breaker (using the highest-ranked team) is better for us, even if it's letting a monkey pick a random name out of a hat.

To get to a 3-way tie, that more or less assumes that we all finish with 1 loss; we beat Louisville, and FSU beats us. That means that FSU will almost certainly be ranked the highest as they'll have had the most number of weeks to re-climb the rankings. We'll have only had 5 weeks to their 11 and louisville's 9.

And to pretend the sky is falling at this point is just absurd.

The committee has stated they don't look at when teams lost.

Sep 21, 2016, 7:25 PM

Losing early vs late should really be a thing of the past at this point. It's a really terrible way to rank teams.

So your alternative idea is what?***

Sep 21, 2016, 6:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

highest ranked team?***

Sep 21, 2016, 10:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: highest ranked team?***

Sep 21, 2016, 10:42 PM

CFP ranking not an option due to the Tuesday night release date and the ensuing logistical nightmare- the following is per cbs sports:

"If for some reason all three teams are still tied (the three-team tiebreakers kick into a two-team head-to-head tiebreaker as soon as one team is eliminated), then it would come down to the BCS rankings, according to league rules. Since the BCS rankings are defunct and the College Football Playoff rankings will be released on Tuesday, Nov. 29, four days before the championship game on Saturday, the ACC needs a new rating system as it's end-all be-all tiebreaker."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the way they are doing it is as good or better than

Sep 22, 2016, 9:07 AM

any other-- I did like the rule about if the 2 top teams are within 5 spots in the rankings then the H2H winner advances to the championship. I still have not seen clarification if that clause is still in there or not. I trust this 3rd party ranking as much as the BCS/CFP and certainly more than the AP(media) or the coaches poll-- which I think are more biased(particularly the media one).

This is the way the SEC decides it..... how is this fair. The league sets your conference schedule so there are no other factors considered-- you might as well have a coin toss than this..... why is this not under attack??? I think you know why. I haven't checked the B1G or PAC12 to see what their rules are but I'm sure it's something just as screwy.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/sec-has-a-new-tiebreaker-rule-that-could-be-massive-100914

I'd like to see a duel with

Sep 22, 2016, 9:52 AM [ in reply to So your alternative idea is what?*** ]

Flint locks. Or maybe a sword fight. Atleast it'd be entertaining. I guarantee the stadium would be a sell out

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

That's the same people who put us in the last playoff.

Sep 21, 2016, 7:18 PM

Their metrics seemed pretty fair to me. I appreciated the four teams being included and felt all four were deserving.

Elsewise, we depend on the AP poll which has always been a toy of ESPiN and the media centered in large metropolitan areas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought if we lost football to PC

Sep 21, 2016, 7:29 PM

it would be due violent collisions not "look at me " snowflakes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2016, 7:41 PM

Honestly what's a better way to break a three way tie, if all conference and overall records are equal? I'm not trying argue but it's a crap shoot, and a situation that will very seldom be used.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 21, 2016, 9:21 PM

> Honestly what's a better way to break a three way
> tie...

How about do it like soccer and do kicks? Each team send their FG kicker to a neutral site. Start at the 20 and move back 5 yards at a time. Miss and you are out. The last man (or transgender) standing wins and his team advances. At least then it is performance based. That might even make good tv and make some money.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC Commissioner and Staff

Sep 21, 2016, 7:56 PM

Whose A$$ do you have to kiss to become Commissioner of the ACC? The job is certainly not given to anyone with sense! Swoffie is a ridiculous joke being played on all of us by someone!!!

I'm retired and don't really want/need a job, but I think that I could do it better than him...without trying very hard...

Sep 21, 2016, 8:35 PM

I bet the independent is one of Swoffies friends. Acc will probably pay them big money to flip a coin.

Nice icon reynolds357!***

Sep 21, 2016, 10:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice icon reynolds357!***

Sep 21, 2016, 10:25 PM

Seems we think a lot alike.

Sep 21, 2016, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC rightfully getting bludgeoned by espn about the TIE ]

It will be the team UNC might can beat in the title game...

Doesn't matter, 15-0 baby!***

Sep 21, 2016, 10:13 PM

so UNC gets to be the Champ

Sep 22, 2016, 9:43 AM

whether they are one of the 3 or not, since Swofford gets to set up the formula.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic