Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A modest proposal for Clemson and the tree...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

A modest proposal for Clemson and the tree...

Sep 19, 2015, 10:48 AM

Two actually....

We've got a few folks at Clemson who know a thing or two about trees.

If possible, could the university collect shoots from the tree to sell to folks willing to grow them as a symbol of the university? Would you be willing to grow a little bit of tradition in your yard? I would.

Then take the remainder or the tree and create a couple thousand ornate "ALL IN" chips. Get it done in time for Christmas, sell them for whatever price (if you want high market, make it $63.17) with a portion going to IPTAY and the rest to area charities. Clemson fans get a great gift with an actual connection to the stadium, the school gets money and we still win over the Capons.

Thoughts?

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd pay $ 63.17 for one.

Sep 19, 2015, 10:53 AM

A full hundred bucks if they'd put it in the old ball sack's sak when we knockit into retirement this season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A modest proposal for Clemson and the tree...

Sep 19, 2015, 10:53 AM

A brilliant idea , both of them .
I would want both , and that is a fact !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Well, I'll tell ya...

Sep 19, 2015, 11:19 AM

I'm not a tree-hugger kind of guy, but if the plan is to use the tree as firewood, that would seem almost sinful. If the tree must go for safety reasons, I like your idea of turning it into as much of a positive as possible for the university.

I'll also tell ya, I sat under that tree the last couple of games and didn't notice it was about to fall on my head. Although I must admit I didn't study the condition of the tree, it seemed healthy enough to me. I hope this isn't an over-reaction. I do remember the tree was drastically pruned way back a few years ago and I didn't know why. I assume now that was an attempt to try to save it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Real Loss ....

Sep 19, 2015, 11:22 AM

..... Is that tree provided a lot of shade for the handicapped. Also State Troopers hang out there for not only the shade
and an easy escape

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2015, 11:27 AM

E-mail your proposal to Dabo or Iptay. It sounds like a good idea to me.

i would be shocked if they did not do something like this

Sep 19, 2015, 11:43 AM

I know Clemson has used similar situations as a fundraiser before. My folks have a bowl that was created from a tree that was around the Calhoun mansion and my cousin, with a degree in landscape architecture has some sort of token from a tree that was near lee hall when they Rene ayes that. There is some woodworker near Salem that created the pieces.

The tree in the valley has a lot more memories for a ton more people. I love the all-in chips idea that could bring a souvenir to the masses.

I'm am not an arborist, so i I have no idea how it would work to create saplings from a dying tree, but if it could work that would be awesome. I know a few people that have successfully grown hedges from Sanford stadium.

Go tigers! And speaking of uga, go dawgs for today only!

ALL IN!!

Re: i would be shocked if they did not do something like this

Sep 19, 2015, 11:49 AM

Of you're going to use cuttings from an older tree to grow new trees , you will need to wait until mid-spring so that the new growth is what you'll be getting as cuttings . Those are typically the easiest to succeed using the propagation method .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Excellent idea, including

Sep 19, 2015, 2:18 PM

...Clemson's attempt to plant a few shoots themselves...and maybe one in a nursery until it can be transplanted right in the same spot.

Outstanding Idea!!!! nm

Sep 19, 2015, 11:51 AM

Nm

Sep 19, 2015, 12:58 PM

Rev Dodd, you da man!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not bad, Rev. Not bad t'tall.***

Sep 19, 2015, 1:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2015, 2:30 PM

Good idea ..... Could just save the wood for a the last game of Slurrier's career. The Slurrier roast!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If anything happened to the "Rock" we

Sep 19, 2015, 3:12 PM

Could rub the "Stump"?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It may be possible

Sep 19, 2015, 3:49 PM

To move it. Oak tree roots aren't very deep. Not sure what the timeline is but probably should be attempted in winter after a fall pruning. There are big machines that do this sort of thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the all in chips would be cool***

Sep 19, 2015, 4:16 PM

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic