Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Message of Hope During the Winter Doldrums
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,000

A Message of Hope During the Winter Doldrums

Jan 9, 2015, 10:47 AM

Our newest Tiger's had an interesting path.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Message of Hope During the Winter Doldrums

Jan 9, 2015, 12:05 PM

He's cute. . .for a dog. Happy New Year, bum.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've seen what happens when you engage with your cats

Jan 9, 2015, 12:08 PM

I'll stick with canines.

I got a mill survivor also

Jan 9, 2015, 1:03 PM

poor guy had lived his whole life as a breed dog in a 3x3 cage. Horrible condition. He had no concept of 3 dimensions when I got him (like stairs, walls, and how to even run up a hill). Just spun around in a circle. That was the totality of his movements.

Through much patience, I taught him how to actually be a dog. And he's done so well, though he'll always be "special", shy/skiddish around other humans, and very routine-oriented (almost autistic-like). But he now lives a wonderful farm life with his doggie companions, running in the yard and barking at squirrels and chickens.

Hope your little guy hangs in there for the full happy life that dogs deserve.

Good on ya

Jan 9, 2015, 2:32 PM

Mine's the same way. She had no concept of how to be a dog. Three dogs in the house have helped, though she mostly stays under things, e.g., tables, bushes, beds. When she comes out it's like a bigfoot sighting. Everybody gets excited and tries not to scare her. At night, she waits under my bed. I have to get in it and wait a few minutes before she gets on the bed for a head scratch. If I don't get in the bed right away she starts making chicken noises to remind me.

my advice is just be gentle and patient with her

Jan 9, 2015, 2:51 PM

I've had mine 7 years now, and he surprises me almost every week with something new and more outgoing. e's still not 100% "dog" and never will be, I have accepted. But he knows all his command words (like "no" and "outside") and obeys them better than my other dogs. He gets along great with my other dogs, eats and does his business in the proper spot outside like a champ. Goes to bed and gets up when he is told. He'll even sit with strangers when they visit, even though you can tell he's not totally comfortable and trusting of them. He has always hated travel (out of his "routine") and would rather just stay home than take a trip.

Overall, even though he's different than every dog I have ever owned, he is wonderful and it's been a blessing to have him.

I take mine to work every day

Jan 9, 2015, 3:12 PM

Figured it would help socialize her and it has. Has also given her the travel bug. She whines by the back door if I go anywhere without her. I keep my expectations low but she keeps advancing.

Jan 9, 2015, 1:06 PM

Good job it's a shame how some animals are treated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've got a Saint Bernard, pretty much the same thing. She

Jan 9, 2015, 3:05 PM

is still, after 7 years, afraid of spray bottles (?), but i can now sweep around her! We think maybe she was a "bait" dog...she was really torn up and had to have surgery. She loves people and kids, but unfortunately not other dogs. Used to try and run inside any building...they have their quirks,but they are deserving of a peaceful life. Good for you!!!

Jan 9, 2015, 4:51 PM

We have 4 rescued dachshunds. 3 didn't know what a toy was. One had been a puppy mill momma for 5 years before we got her. Now she loves squeaking toys. One was in 2 shelters by the time she was 2 years old. We've had her 4 years and she still doesn't know how to play with the others, but she loves attention from us humans.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Good for you

Jan 9, 2015, 4:53 PM

and great for them.

Jan 9, 2015, 4:52 PM

Great post it is a shame there isnt more being done to get rid of Puppy Mills.

null

Google search AKC and puppy mills

Jan 9, 2015, 5:02 PM

AKC makes a ton on its registry. Puppies = money. They oppose puppy mill legislation at every turn. It's the same reason Westminister dropped Pedigree as a sponsor when Pedigree began promoting shelter/rescue adoption. Westminster said it was about dog purity. I appreciate the differences that come with each type of breed, but you can promote purity and rescue at the same time. To AKC, that promotion meant the potential for decreased profits.

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,000
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic