Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A guide for those who invoke 1984
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,062

A guide for those who invoke 1984

Mar 21, 2021, 11:13 AM

Shouting "1984!" on this board has become fairly popular with some of our resident pseudo-conservatives while drawing comparison to elements of American society that really have absolutely no similarities to the George Orwell novel. We can assume maybe they are hearing this on talk shows like Tucker, and they think it sounds smart to reference the novel without having to explain details, thus proving they haven't read it.

So here's a basic summary of the book and some of the key aspects of Big Brother. I'll show how their comparisons don't fit with 1984.

The protagonist, Winston Smith, works in the records department of the Ministry of Truth, where he deletes and wipes out information upon the government's command. Oceania is one of three mega totalitarian nations in the world. Under this government, all citizens are subjected to constant surveillance by the government and can face serious consequences for any behavior the government sees as detrimental or subversive.

Some key restrictions:
-Citizens are watched via telescreens in their homes. Any sort of educational behavior is outlawed, from reading unapproved texts to even keeping a journal (which Winston does secretly).
-Loving relationships are discouraged; at least, to the point where you would love your spouse more than the government. Arranged marriages are encouraged.
-Even giving the impression that you're having thoughts against the government can result in your arrest.
-The government is recording you everywhere, even down to microphones in the bushes.
-There are no private corporations. All goods (and they suck) are provided by the government.
-Citizens are kept in line by creating fake enemies, such as pushing fake wars against Eurasia or Eastasia, and a fake villain known as Emmanuel Goldstein. Pro-war rallies and hate rallies against Goldstein are held regularly.
-The government wipes out or manipulates all information. What the government says it to be blindly believed, and anything to the contrary is not only considered a lie or fake, but it can result in your prosecution.
-There is no free press or media of any sort. It's controlled by the government.
-There is only one ruling political party.
-The government tortures supposed rebellious citizens into either compliance or before wiping them from existence.
-The government doesn't just execute people; they wipe out any trace they existed.
-The government launches fake rocket attacks on its own people while blaming Eastasia or Eurasia (whoever they're "at war" with during that time) to increase pro-war sentiment.
-You cannot own your own home. You cannot shop freely for whatever you want. You can't speak out against anything with the government. Nothing like our society today.
-Ultimately, the people are expected to worship and praise Big Brother at all times, and publicly. They are expected to see him as some benevolent, caring figure who protects them and makes their lives better. Blind loyalty is demanded. For some, they love it. They actually do adore Big Brother. Sound familiar?

And that's just scratching the surface. The book goes far deeper than just this.

So there are definitely some traits you can find from 1984 that have made its way into American society. The pro-war fervor. The praise of the NSA spying on us under the guise of security. The blind adoration of Trumpism. The call for one political party. The desire to eliminate the free press, or at least anything that goes against their beloved candidate being labeled as "fake news".

It's just not from any of the comparisons pseudo-conservatives who never read the book have made here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: A guide for those who invoke 1984

Mar 21, 2021, 1:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Liberal utopia***

Mar 21, 2021, 2:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Liberal utopia***

Mar 21, 2021, 3:05 PM

yeah, liberals are totally for criminalizing sex, except for the purpose of procreation(who does that remind you of?).

I take it you did not read the book either.

But his predictions are spot on if you look at DPRK, they are living proof that this can happen to any culture.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read it in HS but was stoned a good bit and it was a long time ago.

Mar 21, 2021, 4:47 PM

Might be worth a re-read.

Or just read the P&R for misrepresentation and misinformation. Truly a conundrum.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ooh

Mar 21, 2021, 5:24 PM

Do The Fountainhead next

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

cool

Mar 21, 2021, 5:37 PM

Let's have a debate as to whether or not Howard Roark's blowing up his own building is really a metaphor for individualism, or him just being a self-centered prick. I mean what kind of dude goes around blowing up public housing, wait, now I get why ya'll like that book.

Which party supports big government again?

Mar 22, 2021, 12:45 PM

Which party are the anti government insurrectionists from?

Which party controls the house senate and presidency?

Which party wants to tax private industry out if existence?

Which party controls the media?

Ill hang up and listen

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the government controls corporations, then it doesn't

Mar 22, 2021, 1:55 PM

really matter if they are supposedly "privately held", and that's our modern society.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which part of your post...

Mar 22, 2021, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Which party supports big government again? ]

Directly references the novel 1984? Call back and answer.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Most of the time I think Conservatives reference 1984

Mar 22, 2021, 2:13 PM

as general references to government control or thought crime. The rest of what you wrote could be applied, I guess, if someone says that now we are exactly like the novel 1984 in every way?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Most of the time I think Conservatives reference 1984

Mar 22, 2021, 2:16 PM

They are correct when citing similarities over abusive government control (but don't hold the GOP accountable to this). "Thought crime" isn't something that's really become a thing. When it does, sure.

Where pseudo ones cite it on here constantly is the comparison to the actions of private corporations, such as social media. That isn't a valid comparison, and simply shows they didn't read the book. In 1984, it was complete totalitarian government, not a private company telling you to play by their usage rules.

I wrote all that I did to give them a more accurate summary of what the book actually entails, not what Tucker Carlson convinces them to think.

Yes, I get that. I guess when the major social media

Mar 22, 2021, 2:20 PM

companies are perceived to be closely aligned with one political party, the analogy suffices.

null

But they aren't aligned with any political party.

Mar 22, 2021, 2:22 PM

They're aligned with the almighty dollar.

That, then, is a separate debate.***

Mar 22, 2021, 8:11 PM

null

their political donations say different

Mar 23, 2021, 8:35 AM [ in reply to But they aren't aligned with any political party. ]

How is Joes threat of taxing the shyatt out of the wealthy appealing to Big Techs love of the almighty dollar?

Re: Yes, I get that. I guess when the major social media

Mar 23, 2021, 4:54 AM [ in reply to Yes, I get that. I guess when the major social media ]

there are no political parties in 1984, it is an authoritarian regime. North Korea is the best example, the similarities are downright frightening. Think of 1984 as what would have happened if the allies had not won world war 2 and history continued down a different path.

"1984 !!!"***

Mar 22, 2021, 6:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,062
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic