Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Great Tiger Has Passed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

A Great Tiger Has Passed

May 8, 2019, 1:41 PM

My first boss at Graniteville Company and former Tiger Golfer (early 50's). Moved from Aiken area around 1994 to Clemson area to be near children / grandchildren. All 4 of his children are CU grads.

You read his obit and you can tell his loyalty to Clemson was unparalleled.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/aikenstandard/obituary.aspx?n=william-r-alexander&pid=192805139&fhid=12062

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A crisp & sharp Clemson Military Salute to TiGER BiLL.

May 8, 2019, 2:13 PM

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Great Tiger Has Passed

May 8, 2019, 2:27 PM

I played golf with Bill several times at Sugar Mt. back in the '80's and early '90's. Compared to Bill, I wasn't playing golf. The first time I met him I had the feeling I had known him a long time. That's how he came across to me.

At 92, he must have been in service at a young age and served during the tail end of the war.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Might've had parents sign for him

May 8, 2019, 4:34 PM

Joe, the official rules from WWII said no one could enlist or be drafted unless age 18 - - - 17 with parental consent. But, a fair number younger than 17/18 successfully lied, doctored birth certificates or had a parent vouch for them & got in younger than 17. There was a guy named Calvin Graham from Texas who enlisted in the Navy in '42 at age 12!

A non-profit org. was formed in '91 to support those who were underage at enlistment (any war or during peacetime) - "Veterans of Underage Military Service." The U.S. government takes no action against these such vets.

Not saying "Mr. Bill" was an underage enlistee, but it was fairly common.

My dad, who would have been 94 & 1/2 now, was drafted out of Clemson after his junior year in summer of '44 - age 19. Did not get to Europe until Oct/Nov of '44. By then, the war in Europe only had about 6 or 7 months remaining. He was injured & sent home before the European war was over.

As to how many troops remained after Germany's surrender, don't know, but it might have been a fairly high number.

RIP GOD BLESS***

May 8, 2019, 3:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks MNB.***

May 8, 2019, 4:49 PM

May 8, 2019, 5:39 PM

Thanks for posting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

thanks for posting.

May 8, 2019, 5:44 PM

RIP sir, and thank you for your service.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like he lived an awesome life!

May 8, 2019, 7:00 PM

Touched a lot of people and left here with a lot of love and admiration.

How old is his older sister?!? She might make it to 100!

~JKB

Re: Sounds like he lived an awesome life!

May 10, 2019, 1:32 PM

I don't really know his side of the family (know some of the Townsend's - his wife's family).

As a manager, the "Mr. Bill" was simply a sign of respect from employees. I was his HR Manager for plant (about 450 folks) and never heard him lose his cool, act unprofessional, or yell at one of his managers or employees.

TONS of respect from the working folks for him. Recruiting was a lot different then (early 90's) and I can hear him still saying if we got one that was considering SC and CU "well, there ain't nothing to him" Used to give me a fit (in a good way) about CU / USC.

When he was still going, I used to always visit with him in Shotgun Alley or meet him as he got off tour bus in Columbia.

Hell of a golfer......

May 10, 2019, 2:02 PM

He was also my Dad's boss. Dad was a loom fixer for Graniteville Co. for years and a big Clemson fan. Mr. Bill helped him get tickets to football games many times. Great men, both of them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic