Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
95 and Counting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

95 and Counting

Apr 19, 2017, 2:21 PM

The other day someone said to me, "hey, old goat., just how old are you? Aren't you as old as some of those real old Biblical characters"?

Well, I'm not quite as old as some of those Biblical characters but if I can make it to the latter part of the year there will be 96 candles on the cake. My brother refers to me as his "kid brother". He will have 98 candles on his cake come Sept. 1. We both played on our high school football team in the 1930's. I should rephrase that, --- I was on the team roster. My main function was to slide along the wooden bench to remove all of the splinters so the real players would not get a rear end injury.

My first visit to a collegiate game was in 1927 at the Univ. of Florida and I've been hooked on the game ever since. The only years I didn't attend a collegiate football game was in 1944 and 1945 and again in 1950. In 1944 & 1945 I was attending a huge historical event in Europe and in 1950 I was attending another historical event in Korea. I couldn't get a 3-day pass to come back to the states to witness a game in person.

I still drive but don't do marathons, although I still have my original legs and feet. My mountain climbing is now limited to occupying a seat within a motorized vehicle. Some of my so-called friends question my sanity but that's something I've had to face my entire life. Fortunately I've developed an immunity for their snide remarks even though I'm beginning to realize they speak the truth.

I've often been asked. "to what do you attribute your longevity"? The only response I can think of is,
"just don't die". Keep on keeping on and let someone else do the worrying. It takes a real expert to worry successfully and I was never able to truly master the art of worrying

Fill your life with love and treasure every moment because we never know which moment will be our last.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 95 and Counting

Apr 19, 2017, 2:23 PM

Thank you for your service. Go Tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POTD!***

Apr 19, 2017, 2:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

more like POTM!!***

Apr 19, 2017, 3:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Millennium?

Apr 19, 2017, 4:47 PM

nm

Falcon?***

Apr 19, 2017, 4:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^underrated post^^^***

Apr 19, 2017, 6:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Month***

Apr 19, 2017, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Millennium? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2017, 2:31 PM

Congratulations to you, my Tiger brother. I'm hoping I can match you!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You definitely type like someone

Apr 19, 2017, 2:32 PM

much younger ;)

Thanks for sharing!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

seeing as this post is not written in cursive

Apr 19, 2017, 3:21 PM

I'm really doubting its credibility

God bless you and thank you!!

Apr 19, 2017, 2:44 PM

I appreciate you taking the time to share.

Keep on Keep'n on Joe!***

Apr 19, 2017, 2:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With you on our side, there are NO Losers! Thanks!

Apr 19, 2017, 2:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, your High School football career sounds like mine.

Apr 19, 2017, 2:52 PM

When people asked what position I played, I always said "Left Out". Congrats on the Longevity, and tell me what brand of beer you drink, I got a long way to go, "only" 62! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POTY

Apr 19, 2017, 3:02 PM

Thanks for your service

Snowflake Basher........Out

Apr 19, 2017, 3:10 PM

That's awesome, although you've still got a ways to go

Apr 19, 2017, 3:10 PM

to catch hartins®.

Thank you for your post and for your service.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Happy Bday Joe!! It may sound silly, but I love your posts

Apr 19, 2017, 3:25 PM

and feel honored that you take the time to interact with us knuckleheads.
Enjoy your day friend!

null

I agree. Happy Bday Joe!! It may sound silly, but I love your posts

Apr 19, 2017, 3:55 PM

You are an excellent writer.

Apr 19, 2017, 3:49 PM

awesome story to read.

Here I was having a bad week and this put everything in perspective.

Apr 19, 2017, 4:00 PM

95 and keep on counting our Tiger brother. Great post, thank you for defending our country and our freedom. Enjoy your next birthday and only 4 more to get to 100.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Post. I really enjoyed it. Hoping you have a

Apr 19, 2017, 4:10 PM

happy 96th and many more to come. Go Tigers!

Happy Birthday, young man!***

Apr 19, 2017, 4:33 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2017, 4:45 PM

THANKS for sharing! I'm writing down your tips so I don't forget any of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Apr 19, 2017, 4:47 PM

"Historic event"... love the wit! Thank you for your service and for being part of the Greatest Generation! I'm sorry for the way #### went downhill after all the sacrifice your generation made... but at least we have face masks now...and the forward pass.

Crumpmeister...can't we get this man a free r?***

Apr 19, 2017, 5:03 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

of course you can just pony up!***

Apr 19, 2017, 6:29 PM

Apr 19, 2017, 6:22 PM

Enjoy reading your posts, please tell us more. Would love hearing about your years during ww2.
Happy birthday friend.

Old fart! Just kidding. Did you go to

Apr 19, 2017, 6:23 PM

Clemson?

Joe, I always enjoy your posts. Hope you see at least...

Apr 19, 2017, 6:26 PM

...3 more National Championships!

Apr 19, 2017, 6:37 PM

Thanks for your military service and we're proud you are a TIGER Joe21.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2017, 8:05 PM

Joe21 we love you brother! Thanks for the story God Bless you

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 19, 2017, 8:13 PM

Thanks for sharing a bit of your story and many thanks for your service in two wars.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 19, 2017, 9:22 PM

I think Joe needs at least 1 more TU.....one for every year.

Honored to add your 95th TU.

Apr 19, 2017, 9:27 PM

Great message. Live long and prosper.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honored to add your 95th TU.

Apr 19, 2017, 10:05 PM

I've written numerous stories about my service during WW2 and the Korean War. Most are in the humorous vein. I have enough to fill a book but I'm lazy so that may never materialize. Also have enough for another book re my youth, stories about events in my life and some just plain "spoof". I've posted some of these stories on other boards. Several are about football in the 1930's. Went over to Doug Kingsmore tonight and watched the first six innings. Thought about what little baseball I played many years ago. Someone mentioned our team does not know how to bunt. Heck, when I hit away and actually got the bat and ball to connect, it was nothing more than a bunt. Sometimes when I really laid the wood on the ball it got almost to the pitcher's mound. (Yes, we used wooden bats).

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honored to add your 95th TU.

Apr 20, 2017, 5:06 AM

Hopefully you will be around to witness the next Korean war, Kim Jong-un is doing his best to live a short life. Hopefully he don't see his next B day!!!

Apr 19, 2017, 11:57 PM

Thanks for sharing and for your service.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2017, 1:27 AM

Thank you for your service and God bless you young fella!

Apr 20, 2017, 3:24 AM

You sir are my hero.

Apr 20, 2017, 4:58 AM

I think most that live to be in their 90's, it has to do with the genes, and clean healthy living with moderate exercise. But it's mostly the genes!!!

Apr 20, 2017, 6:22 AM

Great story and what a great life you're having Joe21 ! Continue to inspire us all !
Also , did you go to high school in SC and if so , what school ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 20, 2017, 6:26 AM

Happy Birthday Mr. Joe.

Wow, you can't add to this***

Apr 20, 2017, 6:33 AM

Apr 20, 2017, 9:39 AM

Joe,
Having a father who was born two years before you made me realize how much all of you sacrificed and suffered for our Country. You have my full appreciation for not only what you are but who you are.
As you said, enjoy each blessed day because we never know when our time comes to an end. Happy Pre-birthday to you and your big brother coming up.

BTW: If some smart aleck asks you just how old you are, just tell him that your older brother buried the dinosaurs, and you covered them up so we'd have oil now....

oh, and just remember hartins only planted the seedling redwood trees in California....

You are literally - THE MAN. Thanks Joe21 for all you've

Apr 20, 2017, 10:24 AM

done and it sounds like you've got much more to do!

Much respect and thanks to you***

Apr 20, 2017, 11:00 AM

GO TIGERS!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Apr 20, 2017, 11:10 AM

I'm only 65 right now, and I don't have a lot of faith in seeing 90 bc my family history of longevity hasn't been longer than 82, but with most a lot less. So straight off the muscle, I'm saying that I do envy you and your brothers long life bc I do love living, and I'm jealous of your great fortune of being in a great gene pool. But at the same time, I'm happy for you, and I hope you have many more years left to experience LIFE at it's greatest!!! Happy Happy B Day with many more to enjoy!!!

There is nothing better to keep things in perspective

Apr 20, 2017, 12:07 PM

than to read words from someone like you....thank you for your service, first of all, and thank you for reminding this 48 year old, and the rest of us, what is truly important in life. Worrying, taking ones' self too seriously, and being self absorbed ain't the answer. You taught us all something with this post....no pricetag attached. Thank you sir.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Happy Birthday and please WRITE THE BOOK!

Apr 20, 2017, 1:49 PM

We cannot thank you and your generation enough for what you've done for our country and the world. As a huge reader of history and Clemson alum, I'd love to hear stories like yours. Subsequent generations have much to learn from yours. I appreciate your attitude and outlook on life. Thank you!

Have a very Happy Birthday!!

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic